Ben Simmons Won't Report To Camp, Intends To Never Play For 76ers Again

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Ben Simmons Won't Report To Camp, Intends To Never Play For 76ers Again 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:03 pm

Ben Simmons will not report to the Philadelphia 76ers when training camp opens next week and intends to never play another game for the franchise.

Simmons hasn't spoken to the team since a meeting in late August when he communicated this message to officials.

Simmons is aware of possible sanctions available to the 76ers to suspend and fine him, but he is so far willing to carry out his plan.

The 76ers continue to seek a trade of Simmons, but have been unwilling to budge from their asking price. 

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Re: Ben Simmons Won't Report To Camp, Intends To Never Play For 76ers Again 

Post#2 » by Billl » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:24 pm

Hope he uses that extra time to work on his free throws.

Seriously though, what are the sixers thinking? Bash the guy publicly and then just let this thing drag out all summer? it's not like the offers are going to get better when he starts skipping camp.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#3 » by Parataxis » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:43 pm

I know if the 76ers just choose to sit him, he still gets paid. What about if he refuses to report?

In that case, do they save the $$$? I'm assuming it will still count against their cap regardless?
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#4 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:51 pm

Ben's value is dropping daily, this is like the PG wanting out of Indiana thing only worse.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:51 pm

At some point the 76ers will need to face reality. Simmons is not worth anywhere near what they are asking. It's all fine and good if they are able and willing to withhold his checks, but that doesn't fill the hole in their roster. They should not be looking for a star or picks. They won't get a star, they won't get enough picks to bring back a star in a secondary trade and the picks won't help them on the court.

It's simple economics. Simmons is owed $33M this season and most non-PHI fans would agree that he isn't worth a penny more. So PHI's goal should be to trade Simmons for $33M in contracts that fit the roster and are cumulatively worth at least $33M. It might be two or three players; maybe one is overpaid on a bad contract but one or two more are on value contracts. The idea is to look at the cumulative package.

So, will PHI be able to bring back $33M in assets that can help them on the court today? Maybe not, but getting anywhere close and having the new pieces on the court for training camp would be a win. Holding out for a star that they have no hope of getting is a no win proposition. Even if Beal or Lillard asked for a trade today, is there any chance that a deal centered around Simmons gets it done? The short answer is no.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#6 » by rzzzzz » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:53 pm

Pampered head case.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,855

Post#7 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:00 pm

I don't get why the Sixers don't offer Simmons to Houston for Wall and a pick.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,899

Post#8 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:33 pm

Daryl Morey... genius GM. Only took him less than a year to create a dumpster fire in Philly. Meanwhile, Houston Rockets have an exciting young team that's going to be fun to watch grow. Morey and Sam Presti have to be the 2 most overrated GMs the league has ever had.
DeBouillon
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#9 » by DeBouillon » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:34 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I don't get why the Sixers don't offer Simmons to Houston for Wall and a pick.

That may end up being the outcome. Regardless I think I speak for everyone that I hope this drama ends soon.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:56 pm

DeBouillon wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I don't get why the Sixers don't offer Simmons to Houston for Wall and a pick.

That may end up being the outcome. Regardless I think I speak for everyone that I hope this drama ends soon.

Wall makes $11M more than Simmons this season. I am not a Simmons believer, but he is far better than Wall at this point. That trade makes no sense for PHI. Besides, HOU already didn't want Simmons.
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,499

Post#11 » by GregOden » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:48 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:Daryl Morey... genius GM. Only took him less than a year to create a dumpster fire in Philly. Meanwhile, Houston Rockets have an exciting young team that's going to be fun to watch grow. Morey and Sam Presti have to be the 2 most overrated GMs the league has ever had.

His claim to fame was trading for James Harden, although amusingly enough the Nets got Harden for less than what Morey got him for. Does that make Sean Marks the GOAT GM? :D
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#12 » by meekrab » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:16 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
DeBouillon wrote:

Wall makes $11M more than Simmons this season. I am not a Simmons believer, but he is far better than Wall at this point. That trade makes no sense for PHI. Besides, HOU already didn't want Simmons.

Houston not liking a Simmons + whatever package for James Harden doesn't mean they don't want Simmons at all. For Wall and a pick they'd surely do it yesterday.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#13 » by MitchB3 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:30 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:Daryl Morey... genius GM. Only took him less than a year to create a dumpster fire in Philly. Meanwhile, Houston Rockets have an exciting young team that's going to be fun to watch grow. Morey and Sam Presti have to be the 2 most overrated GMs the league has ever had.

I couldn't agree more.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#14 » by MitchB3 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:34 pm

Well for starters they drafted Jalen Green, they also have Kevin Porter Jr, adding Ben Simmons would make ZERO sense.
ALPHAandOMEGA
Rookie
And1: 320

Post#15 » by ALPHAandOMEGA » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Simmons overplaying his hand here. He isn't good enough to act like a diva. Hope he ends up in china.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#16 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:26 pm

Saw this coming a mile away but no…. People would t listen
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,949

Post#17 » by mastermixer » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:50 pm

Parataxis wrote:I know if the 76ers just choose to sit him, he still gets paid. What about if he refuses to report?

In that case, do they save the $$$? I'm assuming it will still count against their cap regardless?

They could suspend him and not pay him for not suiting up. But that never happens because this is a player's league now. So if you do that to Ben, you kill your rep and future agents and players wont want to work with you. So the teams cater to the players now, even if the team is well within its rights not to.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#18 » by objectivefan » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:57 pm

Billl wrote:Hope he uses that extra time to work on his free throws.

Seriously though, what are the sixers thinking? Bash the guy publicly and then just let this thing drag out all summer? it's not like the offers are going to get better when he starts skipping camp.

your boss tells you that you suck and that we are better off without you.

How the heck do you show up the next day and do your job as if nothing happened? even if you show up, do you really go the extra mile for the company?

provided that you are "skilled labor" and can find a job anywhere, most people would leave.

I know that Ben has a contract but how do the sixers expect him to show up and give his all?

Doc: OK Ben, let's hustle back on defense, we are in this together and need to cover for each other.
Ben: umm.. yeah.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,410

Post#19 » by Lateral Quicks » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:08 pm

In related news, Darryl Morey has upped his asking price for Ben Simmons to 2 perennial all-stars, 5 1st round picks, and 1 billion dollars cash.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#20 » by castor777 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:23 pm

Collin Sexton, Kevin Love for Simmons? I’m sure Philly would want some picks but Cleveland can probably play the waiting game. I really don’t see a whole lot of options out there.

Return to Wiretap Discussion