Image ImageImage Image

Zach LaVine's impending Free Agency

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Chewie
Lead Assistant
And1: 336

Re: Zach LaVine's impending Free Agency 

Post#241 » by Chewie » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:53 am

ATRAIN53 wrote:
With any luck Mr Submarine will be calling next for a commercial.

Oh hell yeah. "Ladies let's have party!"

Who leaves opportunities like this on the table?

Turn down for what?
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#242 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:37 am

meekrab wrote:I'm sure his old agent or Klutch explained that he'll get a lot more money if he waits to sign a new contract next summer instead of signing an extension now, and the team wouldn't have had the ability to make all the moves they did this summer with a big Zach contract on the books.

Barring a major injury or some amazingly awful season he is making more money not extending this year too. The would have had to use all the capspace they had to renegotiate his deal for it even to make sense to extend him this year. Bad move by all parties. Seems like they took his input in the offseason and worked to his desires etc… if anywhere maybe Memphis is a landing spot if not here but that would really be only if this team implodes. If this team gets into the second round I can’t imagine it not being a lock for him to resign here, if they get just a play in spot, well maybe he takes interviews but still likely he stays I would think.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,373

Post#243 » by DuckIII » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:03 pm

keloms wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32264934/zach-lavine-says-season-crucial-direction-bulls-own-future

Zach LaVine says this season 'crucial' for direction of Chicago Bulls, his own future

"At the end of the day it's a business," LaVine told ESPN on Thursday. "They did what was best for the team and I will continue to go out there and do what's best for the team as well. This season going forward is going to be extremely crucial not just for me but for everybody. Winning would take care of everything."

With very limited exceptions I try to not kill the messenger on stuff like this. But Windy’s spin on the LaVine situation self serving and not to be trusted. Since free agency signings started being made he’s been trying to contort the Bulls maneuvers as somehow anti-LaVine (I love how he wants the reader to infer that Zach fired his agency because they could not get a deal done with Chicago, suggesting Chicago would not max Zach). While it’s true this quote in particular could make it appear that Zach is very much a free agent, he’s not. If you ignore the spin and selective quotes and look at the core of the report it’s what we’ve “known” all along:

The Bulls and LaVine got together and discussed the best course for him (more money by waiting, much better team by waiting) and the org (get better team, offer Zach max, Zach more likely to sign), and they both then executed the plan in concert to make it happen.

Windy sells insider basketball reports. That’s his living. He knows next summer all he has to sell is Lavine and Beal. All of his writing on Lavine is his attempt to create a product to sell. His reporting has transparently been self serving trash on this.

As has been noted here by me and many others, this is about as clear a done deal as a fan is going to see from the outside looking in. It would take a monumental team collapse or a hideous LaVine injury to change what pretty obviously is going to happen.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,017

Post#244 » by FriedRise » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:33 pm

Warning: if you're anti Mountain Dew, look away!

Read on Twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#245 » by sco » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:30 pm

FriedRise wrote:Warning: if you're anti Mountain Dew, look away!

Read on Twitter

+1 to Mountain Dew for helping Zach connect with Zion. Zion is rumored to want out of NO. Coining the ZZ phrases now!
:clap:
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#246 » by kodo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:01 pm

FriedRise wrote:Warning: if you're anti Mountain Dew, look away!

Read on Twitter

Been a while since we had Bulls on national commercials like this. This one brings back good memories:
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 6,995

Post#247 » by NecessaryEvil » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:29 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
sco
RealGM

Post#248 » by sco » Fri Oct 1, 2021 12:55 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

First of all, I feel like Zach is getting too much credit for his Olympic defense. Many of his teammates were even more one-way offensive guys than he is, and he shined by comparison. Also, it's almost like being the best defender in the all star game. Other than France, I can't remember thinking any team was good at defense.

Having guys like Ball and Caruso next to him should improve defensive communication. Add Pat into the equation and Zach will be guarding the opponent's third best player most nights. I think Zach's effort has been there for a while, but he needs better recognition which will require more film work than on-court effort.
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man
And1: 340

Post#249 » by gf2020hotmail » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:10 am

Finally a reason to update this thread with the Wendell Carter extension news of the 4 for 50. Not sure how that will break down but It is incredibly like that Orlando which previously had $47 million in cap room is going to be paying Wendell ten plus million next year which already takes them away from max cap space and that's before the $6 to $11 million for a projected top 6 six draft pick.

I am kind of surprised at the deal, but it may suggest that the very tight market forced Carter's hand. And the big question becomes does this mean Memphis might have a shot at getting Jaren Jackson for less than 20 million which would give them a chance at max cap space. I still doubt it and assume that situation will take a while to play out, which only aids the Bulls.

Current cap space situations next summer
Spurs: $43 million but only if no qualifying offer to Lonnie Walker and they get rid of Zach Collins' non-guaranteed money.
Detroit: $40 million if they decline option on Diallo or $35 million if they pick it up.
Magic: $35 to $37 million with no Bamba cap hold

Again, none of these three include the $6 to $11 million for a high draft pick so none of them would have max cap space without work.

Memphis needs to dump their picks and keep Jackson under $20 million to have a chance at max cap space but they aren't close currently.

New Orleans still at $29 million but only if they decline Josh Hart's option, which they probably won't.
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man

Post#250 » by gf2020hotmail » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:30 pm

Big one:

Read on Twitter

EDIT: According to Bobby Marks, it starts at $28.9 million, meaning the Grizzlies could only get to twenty million next summer and that's if they renounced Kyle Anderson.

This obviously fully eliminates the Grizzlies from any possibility max cap space next summer. They were the one team who could have signed Zach outright and clearly be a better winning situation than us, notwithstanding their market.

So it's down to:
Spurs: $43 million but only if no qualifying offer to Lonnie Walker and they get rid of Zach Collins' non-guaranteed money.
Detroit: $40 million if they decline option on Diallo (which they seem more likely to do as he might not even be in their 10 man rotation starting the season) or $35 million if they pick it up.
Magic: $35 to $37 million with no Bamba cap hold
But with top six draft picks likely taking $6 to $11 million of the cap space

I wonder if we see a lot more extensions today because there is such little cap space next summer.
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man

Post#251 » by gf2020hotmail » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:54 pm

Two updates to my dumb thread because if Zach leaves, it will certainly not be a cap space team but by figuring out a way to force a sign and trade despite a ridiculous lack of leverage.

-It has come out that the Magic's contract with Carter is de-escalating and starting at $14 so they have even less cap-room than previously thought.
-The Pelicans extending Jonas Valanciunas basically ends their path to max cap space even if they don't pick up Josh Hart's option. They were the only other team with any kind of path. Next closest now is the Thunder with $21 million but they might stay over to maintain their trade exceptions and they will be under $15 million with their draft pick almost for sure.

So the potential max cap space teams next summer are only:
Detroit: $40 million if they decline option on Diallo (which they seem more likely to do as he might not even be in their 10 man rotation starting the season) or $35 million if they pick it up.
Magic: $33 million with no Bamba cap hold
Top six draft picks likely taking $6 to $11 million of cap space, although the Spurs might avoid that fate.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#252 » by meekrab » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:14 pm

Yeah Zach's not going to ****ing Detroit or Orlando whether they have max room or not, he didn't sign with Klutch to go to a small market and be irrelevant.

Spurs I mean they can offer it but they're not the Spurs of 2010 where championships would be a realistic expectation.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,484

Post#253 » by whitehops » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:04 pm

after watching him toy with frank jackson last game it made me dream that the pistons signed him this off season.

but really is there anything less than a 99.9% chance he's re-signing with the bulls?
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#254 » by bearadonisdna » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:29 am

anybody opposed to signing zach long term?
when is the deadline?
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,400

Post#255 » by Indomitable » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:24 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:anybody opposed to signing zach long term?
when is the deadline?

Lavine loses money if he signs now instead of the off season. Why do you not understand this. It is a salary cap issue. We do not have the capspace to give him the raise he wants.

After the season we can then use the Bird rule to gibew him the contact he desires.
:banghead:
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,762

Post#256 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:31 pm

when is the deadline?

The only people you wouldn’t want Zach resigned would be someone who wants to go into full rebuild and tank for next 3 or 4 years(which is a stupid idea). I don’t think you will find many people that would even suggest that now after how the season has gone so far. I have not seen a single one.

If you are trying to find a way to get him on your Knicks stop dreaming! Not happening for any player or assets you have.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#257 » by bearadonisdna » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:44 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
when is the deadline?

The only people you would don’t want Zach resigned would be someone who wants to go into full rebuild and tank for next 3 or 4 years(which is a stupid idea). I don’t think you will find many people that would even suggest that now after how the season has gone so far. I have not seen a single one.

If you are trying to find a way to get him on your Knicks stop dreaming! Not happening for any player or assets you have.

The knicks love him but he is a pipedream narrative on their board.
but if he is UFA then not impossible.
everybody on here is like only 'x' team has room, but all a team has to do is dump salary so i hope people dont be so naive that a suitor wouldnt move heaven and earth.

that being said , i guess ill have to google research an extension deadline.
The reason i ask is that having zach secured could provide value. Sometimes in sports i feel you need the pay to make the play. Meaning if you want this guy to be a FMVP then he should be paid accordingly etc.
If you guys say a deal cant be made, if it better for zach and the bulls in the offseason, ill take your word for it.

haha dont worry guys, i dont want to sabotage the team, but if me liking NYK too, if it keeps you on your toes then its all worth it. :lol:
sco
RealGM

Post#258 » by sco » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:49 pm

Is a scenario where Zach gets bumped by Derozan from making an All-NBA team (and thus losing out on superMAX)?
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 2,999

Post#259 » by jordanwilliams6 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:09 pm

sco wrote:Is a scenario where Zach gets bumped by Derozan from making an All-NBA team (and thus losing out on superMAX)?

If the season ended now that would be the case. The general consensus is that DDR is a top 5 MVP candidate at this point and Zach is an all star which is probably spot on if you’ve watched all of the Bulls games this season.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,762

Post#260 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:29 pm

jordanwilliams6 wrote:
sco wrote:Is a scenario where Zach gets bumped by Derozan from making an All-NBA team (and thus losing out on superMAX)?

If the season ended now that would be the case. The general consensus is that DDR is a top 5 MVP candidate at this point and Zach is an all star which is probably spot on if you’ve watched all of the Bulls games this season.

Great outcome for us. He doesn’t get All-NBA because his teammate did.

Return to Chicago Bulls