WNBA Playoffs - Congrats WNBA Champion Chicago Sky!

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,536

WNBA Playoffs - Congrats WNBA Champion Chicago Sky! 

Post#1 » by bisme37 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:53 pm

I understand some people here think WNBA is laughably terrible but I'm hoping those people will decide this isn't the thread for them and simply comment on something else.

Anyway, the WNBA playoffs are going on right now and I thought we should have a thread. There have already been a couple thrillers and right now the Storm just erased a big deficit to take a lead over Phoenix at the half. Good game. The first two rounds are just one game, not a series, so it's win or go home.

Anyway, please join the discussion if you're watching. I have Connecticut winning the title this year but there are several really good teams so it should be fun.

Edit: My Connecticut pick didn't exactly work out haha. Congrats to the Chicago Sky! Amazing performance for their first ever WNBA Championship! Kahleah Copper Finals MVP!
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,139

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#2 » by og15 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:16 pm

Watching Phoenix vs Seattle, solid game, two OG's going at it in Bird and Taurasi too
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#3 » by og15 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:55 pm

Diggins choking at the line!
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#4 » by bisme37 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:56 pm

og15 wrote:Diggins choking at the line!

I know man, wth!

This game is chaos lol.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#5 » by og15 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:58 pm

bisme37 wrote:
og15 wrote:Diggins choking at the line!

I know man, wth!

This game is chaos lol.

Loyd took too long IMO, I'm not a fan of waiting that long in that situation

OT it is
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#6 » by bisme37 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:03 pm

Diggins really needs to stop shooing and give the ball to Diana.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#7 » by bisme37 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:19 pm

That game got really sloppy at the end but it was still fun and competitive since both teams were playing so hard and were equally sloppy lol.

Congrats to the Mercury!

This one game format is fun to watch but it must be really frustrating for a good team like Seattle to lose one damn game and have their season end. Chicago vs Minny is on ESPN2 now if anyone's interested.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,338

Post#8 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:21 pm

I have WNBA league pass but the whole playoffs are basically region locked. My WNBA stream finding game is weak :/
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#9 » by bisme37 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:22 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:I have WNBA league pass but the whole playoffs are basically region locked. My WNBA stream finding game is weak :/

Sorry buddy. I'm just watching on TV so I don't have a link for you.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#10 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:28 pm

bisme37 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:I have WNBA league pass but the whole playoffs are basically region locked. My WNBA stream finding game is weak :/

Sorry buddy. I'm just watching on TV so I don't have a link for you.

Ooo found one. Just had to wade through the filth of fake links for long enough :lol:

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,473

Post#11 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:33 pm

I watched! I feel like there's a lot of positive momentum with the WNBA now. I think the Bubble phenomenon and all that went with it actually ended up giving the WNBA a boost despite the fact that I wasn't following the specifics last year.

Also glad people haven't gone negative yet. Hate that it's so common. Completely fine to prefer the men's game for obvious reasons, but if you really love the thinking that goes into basketball skill and strategy development, there's plenty to appreciate. Even when I feel like the WNBA is needlessly behind the curve with regards to NBA strategy, I find that interesting because it allows me to apply what I've learned in one sphere to diagnose what's going on in the other.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#12 » by dockingsched » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:48 pm

I like how you can hear the coach and players in the huddle, good insight.

Watching Lloyd continuously throw up bad shots in OT was irritating.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
SupaManu
Junior
And1: 986

Post#13 » by SupaManu » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:53 pm

bisme37 wrote:That game got really sloppy at the end but it was still fun and competitive since both teams were playing so hard and were equally sloppy lol.

Congrats to the Mercury!

This one game format is fun to watch but it must be really frustrating for a good team like Seattle to lose one damn game and have their season end. Chicago vs Minny is on ESPN2 now if anyone's interested.

Their playoffs are 1 game elimination series now ? When did that happen?
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#14 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:54 pm

SupaManu wrote:
bisme37 wrote:That game got really sloppy at the end but it was still fun and competitive since both teams were playing so hard and were equally sloppy lol.

Congrats to the Mercury!

Just the first 2 rounds. Best of 5 in the semi-finals.

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#15 » by og15 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:54 pm

dockingsched wrote:I like how you can hear the coach and players in the huddle, good insight.

Watching Lloyd continuously throw up bad shots in OT was irritating.

Seattle went to too much iso Loyd towards the end, but Phoenix was also playing good defense to force it. Seattle WA without their top scorer, so one can understand why things got tougher in the end.

Congrats to the Mercury!

An injury that maybe a player could come back from later in the series also becomes devastating. Seattle was without Stewart, who knows what would have happened had she played.
SupaManu
Junior
And1: 986

Post#16 » by SupaManu » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:00 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:
SupaManu wrote:

Congrats to the Mercury!

Just the first 2 rounds. Best of 5 in the semi-finals.

That’s actually pretty cool and has to make for some super intense games.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#17 » by bisme37 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:03 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:I watched! I feel like there's a lot of positive momentum with the WNBA now. I think the Bubble phenomenon and all that went with it actually ended up giving the WNBA a boost despite the fact that I wasn't following the specifics last year.

Also glad people haven't gone negative yet. Hate that it's so common. Completely fine to prefer the men's game for obvious reasons, but if you really love the thinking that goes into basketball skill and strategy development, there's plenty to appreciate. Even when I feel like the WNBA is needlessly behind the curve with regards to NBA strategy, I find that interesting because it allows me to apply what I've learned in one sphere to diagnose what's going on in the other.

Yeah I've noticed that too, it's almost like the WNBA is 10 or so years behind on style of play. Most WNBA teams play more in the paint and shoot way fewer 3s than NBA teams. But I can't decide if it's a matter of their league is still evolving or if it's just a matter of there are a ton of really good bigs in the WNBA right now and it makes sense to play through them. Jonquel Jones, Candace Parker, Aja Wilson, Liz Cambage, Griner, Delle Donne, Brianna Stewart etc etc are all MVP level players and they are all bigs (4s or 5s).

In any case I think a lot of the NBA fans who pine for the olden days of the league would actually like WNBA if they gave it a chance.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#18 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:08 pm

Fowles defense is incredible.

JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,553

Post#19 » by JimmyPlopper » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:20 pm

Over the years I've made a point out of watching games with my daughter. As I did that, I realized how much fun it is. As a basketball fan already, its easy to get into.
you can't kill me - i was born dead
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#20 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:27 pm

If anyone else is watching espn2 right now I must say: the youtube tv advertisement of the east Asian grandmother who loves the NBA is one of the best basketball-related commercials in recent memory.

Return to The General Board