Joel Embiid Believes 76ers Have Built Roster To Accommodate Ben Simmons

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Joel Embiid Believes 76ers Have Built Roster To Accommodate Ben Simmons 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:33 pm

Joel Embiid responded to a report this week that indicated Ben Simmons feels his career would be in a better place if he didn't play with Embiid.

“I saw (the report),” Embiid said. “I don’t know if it came from him or whatever, but over the past few months stuff has been put out there. And, looking by the reaction of him not being here, I feel like it’s fair to assume that it’s coming from ... whether it’s his agent or his people or whatever. Like I said, it is disappointing, but I feel like over the years the way our team has been built around — like you look at last year, I was the worst three-point shooter of the starting lineup and I shot 38 percent from three. 

“We’ve always had shooters, and I feel like I can really play with anybody and I can make anybody be better on the court. I don’t necessarily need shooters. But I feel like over the years — like you look at when we got Al (Horford), it’s because we needed a stretch five, just to make sure that was for him. And most of my career I’ve had to kind of step out to the three-point line quite a bit — which I don’t mind. I like to be a basketball player; I like to do everything on the basketball court. But I feel like our teams have been built — whether it’s the shooting, the stretch five and all that stuff — I feel like he’s always had it here.”

Embiid continued and spoke of the many three-point shooters still on Philadelphia's roster. 

“It was kind of surprising to see what was said,” Embiid continued. “Even going back to the reason we signed Al. We got rid of Jimmy (Butler), which I still think was a mistake, but he needed the ball in his hands and that’s the decision they made. But, like I said, it is surprising. But I’m really focused on the guys that are here. 

“The situation is weird, disappointing, borderline kind of disrespectful to all the guys that are out here fighting for their lives. Some guys rely on the team to be successful, to stay in the league and make money somehow. Because, if you’re on a winning team, you’re always going to have a spot in the league, just because you’re on a winning team and you contributed. Obviously we’re a better team with him. We’re not a better team without him, that’s for sure. We are a better team with him but, like I said, it is surprising. But I’m focused on the guys that are here. 

“We’re trying to get better, trying to get on the same agenda. … Every single day we’ve got to attack it, and try to get better every single day. But we are a better team with him. There’s no question about it. We still hope that he changes his mind, but I owe it to these guys to worry about what we have here. That’s the front office’s job to figure out what’s going to happen. That’s not my job; I’m not a GM, I’m not an owner, so that’s none of my business, honestly.”

Simmons is currently holding out but the 76ers hope he eventually reports. 

Via Noah Levick/NBC Sports Philadelphia

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Re: Joel Embiid Believes 76ers Have Built Roster To Accommodate Ben Simmons 

Post#2 » by br7knicks » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:46 pm

Embiid showing off his low bballiq
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Ballknowledge
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#3 » by Ballknowledge » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:09 pm

br7knicks wrote:Embiid showing off his low bballiq

What makes you say that? I thought most of what he said was pretty spot on
Bonekeep
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#4 » by Bonekeep » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:51 pm

Is that you Ben?
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Oct 1, 2021 3:07 am

I believe he's right.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#6 » by Dewey » Fri Oct 1, 2021 3:54 am

Please stop … 76’ers thru him under the bus in public, and it’s amazing they believe he’s gonna return. The entire organization and fans sound dumber and dumber by the day in their fake attempt to bring him back. Desperados!! These clowns blew all trade value and every other team in the league is gonna f them over it
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#7 » by meekrab » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:16 am

Duh. They have like 8 guys who are 35+% three point shooters. Simmons' problem is he never developed any new facets of his game. If you're the same player 4 years in a row you only have yourself to blame.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#8 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:48 am

Ballknowledge wrote:

I thought what he said was true but he could have said the same thing in 2 sentences. Mixed with talking in circles and passive voice, it was definitely not spot on.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#9 » by njknicks » Fri Oct 1, 2021 6:30 am

Would have loved to have seen Embiid play in the 90's against legitimate competition at the center postion.

While he is incredibly talented, he never seems to have the motivation / desire to stay in shape or truly dominate the game (i.e. settling for 3pointers ) the way he can be capable of.

Ironically, the Ben Simmons situation puts enormous amount of pressure on Embiid to put the franchise on his back - could this be the tipping point & get him to dominate the post season?
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Post#10 » by Revived » Fri Oct 1, 2021 1:06 pm

I like Embiid’s personality a lot.

If he wasn’t such a flipper or injury prone, he’d be one of my favorite players in the league because of his overall skillset.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 1, 2021 1:54 pm

meekrab wrote:Duh. They have like 8 guys who are 35+% three point shooters. Simmons' problem is he never developed any new facets of his game. If you're the same player 4 years in a row you only have yourself to blame.

They had the 3rd best record in the league, so obviously it wasn't like the team sucked.

The problem to me isn't that Simmons didn't get any better, it's that Simmons couldn't do what he normally does in game 5-7 and clearly got into his own head. If Simmons played the same in games 5-7 that he did in Games 1-4, it probably wouldn't have been a story.

Simmons definitely is disappointing in that he hasn't improved, but you'd probably take him, even on his max deal, without improvement if he gave you that consistent level of performance in the playoffs of 1st class defense, great passing / ball movement / press and got you a highly efficient 15 points a game.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#12 » by rzzzzz » Fri Oct 1, 2021 1:55 pm

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#13 » by Donnyxc » Fri Oct 1, 2021 6:14 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:
Ballknowledge wrote:

I thought what he said was true but he could have said the same thing in 2 sentences. Mixed with talking in circles and passive voice, it was definitely not spot on.

English isn't his first language, so give him a pass. The idea that it requires a lot more brainpower to interpret passive voice is an entirely silly concept that ignores context. Joel can only surmise based on what was reported. Ben didn't directly say any of it. Thus, Joel's interpretation of the roster and situation is pretty refreshing to hear.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#14 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Oct 1, 2021 6:26 pm

If the Sixers built their roster to accommodate Ben Simmons they wouldn't have this big lumbering dude clogging up the paint.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#15 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Oct 1, 2021 6:29 pm

IMO not enough attention is being paid to the role of Doc Rivers and his antiquated understanding of the game.

Return to Wiretap Discussion