OT - Current Affairs/COVID/Vaccines, etc

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,375

Re: Suns media day/ training camp thread - 2021/2022 

Post#561 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:55 pm

oddity wrote:Might be controversial but I don't like dumping hate on people who don't want to get vaccinated. I got vaxxed, and I think people should, but at the end of the day, there are a million personal reasons why someone would feel anxious or uncomfortable getting it. If we don't try to understand each other it will only turn into a culture war that extremizes people to one side or the other. This morning I saw a youtube video by one of the biggest names on the platform entitled "Can we Laugh When Antivaxxers Die of Covid?" and it just blew my mind how much we have dehumanized these people. How can you expect any anti-vaxxers to listen to you when you're dancing on their loved ones' graves??

I can understand that, but this country got so divided over the last four years (and was already very divided) that it will be that way with everything.

You have people storming the capitol, ready to kidnap polticians or worse, people planning to kidnap the Michigan mayor or worse, and all these various killings over the past few years.

Incidentally I have been watching a Danish show recently (Forbrydelsen) and I already watched one I loved called Borgen and I was thinking last night how their political system is interesting. They have numerous parties, and various parties have to agree to win a majority. Things may be divided by the two biggest sides but there are other parties that make the difference.

Now I'm not an expert and I may have a lot of that wrong, but it would be interesting if there were more parties and more people actually deciding how they feel about things by themselves instead of listening and regurgitating whatever rhetoric their side comes up with.

The weird thing is if Trump hadn't been such a COVID denier (even though he wanted us to get the vaccine first) then I doubt this would even be much of a problem at all.

Ultimately I don't think there were THAT many antivaxxer types before this COVID stuff so I think a lot of people are not taking it more because of principle than for legitimate health reasons they may think they have.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: OT - Current Affairs/COVID/Vaccines, etc 

Post#562 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:34 am

Across the Atlantic Ocean, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez appeared to reference Irving during a session of parliament over the star’s purported backing of COVID-19 vaccine conspiracy theories.

“I have been a basketball fan for many years, and I follow the NBA basketball league a lot,” Sanchez told the parliament. “Nowadays, there is a problem in the NBA itself. There are several players who have spoken out against vaccinations.

“There is an NBA star who says he does not want to vaccinate because there is a conspiracy to vaccinate blacks and connect them with a computer that has a Satanic plan. This is verbatim.”

To be clear, it’s not exactly verbatim and Irving has not said that.

Sanchez appeared to be referring to a Rolling Stone article that cited Irving’s following and recent “likes” of Instagram posts from a conspiracy theorist who claims “secret societies” are implanting vaccines in a plot to connect blacks to a master computer for “a plan of Satan.” But those are his words, not Irving’s.

For his part, Irving has been steadfastly quiet on the subject, even in comparison with Wiggins (who has had contentious arguments with the press) and Beal. The Nets guard has simply fallen back on his Monday media day mantra of asking people to “respect my privacy.”

https://nypost.com/2021/09/29/kyrie-irving-could-lose-over-400k-per-home-game-if-not-vaccinated/
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#563 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:43 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:Why is it that you never hear smart people (verified actual intelligent humans with expertise in things) say "Educate yourself"? It's only dummies that are almost all anti-vaxx f****.

If Book is not vaccinated and saying this dumb sh**, I've definitely lost some respect for him. No one has ever argued that you CAN'T get Covid if you've been vaccinated, but this seems to be a talking point for anti-vaxxers. The point is that you have an extremely minute chance of developing complications if you do get it, and it cuts the time in half or more for expunging it from your system and being a risk to others. So tired of all this sh**.

I didn't realize it but apparently Wiggins, Beal and Kyrie are all beating around the bush more about it and just talking in around about ways about it being private.

The thing about Wiggins and Kyrie though is that it is public because they can't play in home games.

Yeah, it's just ridiculous at this point. There's a year and a half of data at this point on the vaccines. 90% of NBA players have the vaccine according to reports. No one is dying from it. If they can't play games because of their complete disregard for health protocols, then they shouldn't get paid. At this point, it just seems like denying for the sake of denying. It's a dumb look.

There have been some deaths, but it is .002%. So 2 in 100K, or 1 in 50K. That's probably far less than just about any medicine on the market. So if people point you to VAERS showing deaths...it is less than 7K in 350,000,000 doses...so actually less than 1 in 50K. Just to give you the math when someone says there have been 7,000 deaths. There have been 4,788,375 deaths from COVID.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,911

Post#564 » by grumpysaddle » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:04 am

bwgood77 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
I didn't realize it but apparently Wiggins, Beal and Kyrie are all beating around the bush more about it and just talking in around about ways about it being private.

The thing about Wiggins and Kyrie though is that it is public because they can't play in home games.

Yeah, it's just ridiculous at this point. There's a year and a half of data at this point on the vaccines. 90% of NBA players have the vaccine according to reports. No one is dying from it. If they can't play games because of their complete disregard for health protocols, then they shouldn't get paid. At this point, it just seems like denying for the sake of denying. It's a dumb look.

There have been some deaths, but it is .002%. So 2 in 100K, or 1 in 50K. That's probably far less than just about any medicine on the market. So if people point you to VAERS showing deaths...it is less than 7K in 350,000,000 doses...so actually less than 1 in 50K. Just to give you the math when someone says there have been 7,000 deaths. There have been 4,788,375 deaths from COVID.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/sep/20/facebook-posts/no-evidence-covid-19-vaccines-causing-deaths/

This has info about VAERS and the supposed vaccine deaths. There's no evidence linking the vaccines to any deaths in the US. People have died after getting the vaccine, but that's because people die. VAERS is a flawed system.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,955

Post#565 » by garrick » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:13 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:Yeah, it's just ridiculous at this point. There's a year and a half of data at this point on the vaccines. 90% of NBA players have the vaccine according to reports. No one is dying from it. If they can't play games because of their complete disregard for health protocols, then they shouldn't get paid. At this point, it just seems like denying for the sake of denying. It's a dumb look.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/sep/20/facebook-posts/no-evidence-covid-19-vaccines-causing-deaths/

This has info about VAERS and the supposed vaccine deaths. There's no evidence linking the vaccines to any deaths in the US. People have died after getting the vaccine, but that's because people die. VAERS is a flawed system.

Yeah anti Vaxxers point to VAERS like it's proof that vaccines are dangerous but basically you could get a severe stomachache a week after taking the vaccine and it would still be reported to VAERS.

[url];t=6426s[/url]

I really recommend this video to dispel the most common covid myths and falsehoods floating around on the internet.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#566 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:08 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:Yeah, it's just ridiculous at this point. There's a year and a half of data at this point on the vaccines. 90% of NBA players have the vaccine according to reports. No one is dying from it. If they can't play games because of their complete disregard for health protocols, then they shouldn't get paid. At this point, it just seems like denying for the sake of denying. It's a dumb look.

I agree...they could very well but dying from other things. I think it relies on people entering their own experiences. Regardless the chances are so incredibly slim that it doesn't matter. It's just an easy rebuttal for people who think those #s mean anything.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#567 » by bigfoot » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:14 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Across the Atlantic Ocean, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez appeared to reference Irving during a session of parliament over the star’s purported backing of COVID-19 vaccine conspiracy theories.

“I have been a basketball fan for many years, and I follow the NBA basketball league a lot,” Sanchez told the parliament. “Nowadays, there is a problem in the NBA itself. There are several players who have spoken out against vaccinations.

“There is an NBA star who says he does not want to vaccinate because there is a conspiracy to vaccinate blacks and connect them with a computer that has a Satanic plan. This is verbatim.”

To be clear, it’s not exactly verbatim and Irving has not said that.

Sanchez appeared to be referring to a Rolling Stone article that cited Irving’s following and recent “likes” of Instagram posts from a conspiracy theorist who claims “secret societies” are implanting vaccines in a plot to connect blacks to a master computer for “a plan of Satan.” But those are his words, not Irving’s.

For his part, Irving has been steadfastly quiet on the subject, even in comparison with Wiggins (who has had contentious arguments with the press) and Beal. The Nets guard has simply fallen back on his Monday media day mantra of asking people to “respect my privacy.”

https://nypost.com/2021/09/29/kyrie-irving-could-lose-over-400k-per-home-game-if-not-vaccinated/

The world is flat too
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#568 » by suns12345 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:36 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I agree...they could very well but dying from other things. I think it relies on people entering their own experiences. Regardless the chances are so incredibly slim that it doesn't matter. It's just an easy rebuttal for people who think those #s mean anything.

death rate is way lower than that. maybe 1:1,000,000

1:50k is about the rate of vax related complications, but often it is treatable.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#569 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:11 pm

suns12345 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/sep/20/facebook-posts/no-evidence-covid-19-vaccines-causing-deaths/

1:50k is about the rate of vax related complications, but often it is treatable.

Hmm..the info I saw on deaths was a little less than 7,000 in 350,000,000 million. So if you simply drop the 3 zeros off of each..that is 7 in 350,000, or 1 in 50K.

Anyway, maybe you have more recent or accurate #s.
suns12345
Starter

Post#570 » by suns12345 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:51 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Hmm..the info I saw on deaths was a little less than 7,000 in 350,000,000 million. So if you simply drop the 3 zeros off of each..that is 7 in 350,000, or 1 in 50K.

Its number from Aus, so maybe different, and of course availability of healthcare effects whether complications can be treated etc.

Anyway, those numbers seem scary but you never seen them in the context of other medicine people take every day. If you read the side effects of ibuprofen you'd never have it again. I know i'm preaching to the choir with you here :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#571 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:42 pm

suns12345 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:

Its number from Aus, so maybe different, and of course availability of healthcare effects whether complications can be treated etc.

Anyway, those numbers seem scary but you never seen them in the context of other medicine people take every day. If you read the side effects of ibuprofen you'd never have it again. I know i'm preaching to the choir with you here :lol:

Heck, just listen to any commercial of any drug advertisement you hear on tv and potential side effects...those are all much worse than if they named the ones for the vaccine. They all end with "and even death". You put 350,000,000 people on those drugs you'd get a fair number of adverse reactions, but on a % basis a very low %.

That's what we get with people no longer majoring in science or math in the U.S.
suns12345
Starter

Post#572 » by suns12345 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:48 am

bwgood77 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Heck, just listen to any commercial of any drug advertisement you hear on tv and potential side effects...those are all much worse than if they named the ones for the vaccine. They all end with "and even death". You put 350,000,000 people on those drugs you'd get a fair number of adverse reactions, but on a % basis a very low %.

That's what we get with people no longer majoring in science or math in the U.S.

Yeh - and I understand its a bit scary, I was a bit scared to get it just because of all the chatter about it. But I was certainly more scared of getting COVID without being vaccinated.

It doesn't take a genius to work out you're more likely to die of covid than the vaccine, no matter what age you are. It should be a pretty straight forward risk assessment for most people, especially when you consider the other benefits of being vaccinated to your family, society, the world etc. Anyway, it just sucks it seems to be more political than anything at this point.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#573 » by Bogyo » Fri Oct 1, 2021 5:33 am

bwgood77 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

And also becouse in the US you can sue about whatever whenever - and you have a chance of winning too, even if you did something as dumb as a rock... So companies will tell you that you can die from taking an aspirin - which might be true in 1 case out of a hundred million. This also feeds into the general feelings against medicins/vaccines/doctors etc... you hear this stuff from the first time your parents turn on the tv (or youtube), and you keep hearing it for the rest of your life. Now if you hear ANY bs for 40 years straight, you will be somewhat brainwashed by it, there is no other way. So you will be afraid of medicine, vaccines, etc...

(Also, some companies are shady as fk, so they will actually not care if you die while they make a buck - so you have to have controll too, but some of this "side effect" stuff is just ridicoulus... if 1 people out of 100 000 has some kind of side effect, why is that enough evidence that the "side effect" was caused by the new medicine/vaccine and not the dinner that they had last night? No medicine trial is big enough to come up with 10 million people so the 1 in 100k "side effect" could be throughoutly examined.)

rant over.
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#574 » by grumpysaddle » Fri Oct 8, 2021 5:19 pm

I was arguing with an idiot on FB, and felt some of my responses are relevant here, numbers-wise, after looking into them and calculating and ****...

there have been 0 deaths with the mRNA vaccines and 3 total for J&J due to blood clots. That's 1 out of 132,572,685.

From an article on J&J vaccine: "As of July 8, only 38 of the 12.5 million people who received the J&J vaccine reported having these complications, and most of them recovered."

There is a 0.0003% chance and that's just for getting blood clots, where almost everyone that has gotten them has recovered.

Also, personally became eligible for the booster shot (Pfizer), so I got it after the Suns/Lakers game a couple days ago. Actually got side-effects, but they were only last night, felt fine when i woke up today. Small price to pay for keeping my community safer (and myself). Still going to wear a mask indoors with strangers, like I have since the beginning. All the small things people complain about because it's a slight inconvenience has really worn on my mental health the past year and a half. Just do the right thing, everyone.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#575 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 5:31 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:I was arguing with an idiot on FB, and felt some of my responses are relevant here, numbers-wise, after looking into them and calculating and ****...

there have been 0 deaths with the mRNA vaccines and 3 total for J&J due to blood clots. That's 1 out of 132,572,685.

From an article on J&J vaccine: "As of July 8, only 38 of the 12.5 million people who received the J&J vaccine reported having these complications, and most of them recovered."

There is a 0.0003% chance and that's just for getting blood clots, where almost everyone that has gotten them has recovered.

Also, personally became eligible for the booster shot (Pfizer), so I got it after the Suns/Lakers game a couple days ago. Actually got side-effects, but they were only last night, felt fine when i woke up today. Small price to pay for keeping my community safer (and myself). Still going to wear a mask indoors with strangers, like I have since the beginning. All the small things people complain about because it's a slight inconvenience has really worn on my mental health the past year and a half. Just do the right thing, everyone.

There is a big thread on the GB about COVID and the vaccine. I haven't read much of it, but see some reports coming out of it. I was skimming it and sometimes I still am amazed when I run into all these conspiracy nuts about inflating COVID #s when we know there were likely tons of cases not counted, and the bigger nuts about vaccine conspiracies....I don't even know what all of them are.

Seriously what would be the purpose. Do people seriously believe in this 5G chip thing? If so, do they have a cell phone or do they stick to burners they discard regularly?

What possibly reason would there be for the medical clinics to give away free vaccines to control a pandemic? You know, outside of saving lives?

First people seemingly wanted to argue COVID #s being inflated because of Trump being in office...didn't want to make him look bad...now those same people do it with Biden there even though (I don't think they want to argue on his behalf).

PLUS, Trump was pro vaccine and demanded we get it before everyone else.

Funny thing is, if Trump would have come out at the very beginning and said "We need to tackle this thing and get it behind us. Buckle down for a couple months, avoid people, wear a mask and lets get this country back on track. We need to come together" he'd certainly be president right now. But of course for whatever reason he wanted to deny it which prolonged the whole thing.
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#576 » by grumpysaddle » Fri Oct 8, 2021 8:25 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:I was arguing with an idiot on FB, and felt some of my responses are relevant here, numbers-wise, after looking into them and calculating and ****...

There is a big thread on the GB about COVID and the vaccine. I haven't read much of it, but see some reports coming out of it. I was skimming it and sometimes I still am amazed when I run into all these conspiracy nuts about inflating COVID #s when we know there were likely tons of cases not counted, and the bigger nuts about vaccine conspiracies....I don't even know what all of them are.

Seriously what would be the purpose. Do people seriously believe in this 5G chip thing? If so, do they have a cell phone or do they stick to burners they discard regularly?

What possibly reason would there be for the medical clinics to give away free vaccines to control a pandemic? You know, outside of saving lives?

First people seemingly wanted to argue COVID #s being inflated because of Trump being in office...didn't want to make him look bad...now those same people do it with Biden there even though (I don't think they want to argue on his behalf).

Funny thing is, if Trump would have come out at the very beginning and said "We need to tackle this thing and get it behind us. Buckle down for a couple months, avoid people, wear a mask and lets get this country back on track. We need to come together" he'd certainly be president right now. But of course for whatever reason he wanted to deny it which prolonged the whole thing.

While I am certainly not a Biden fan, I am torn on Prump's response because it has definitely extended the awfulness of the pandemic, however, if he had been reelected, things would have definitely been worse overall. The end of US democracy, most likely, with all the new info (that we all knew as it happened) regarding the attempted coup. It was extremely crappy timing in American history to have Prump as the president at that exact moment that Covid made its way stateside. I'm still looking for a New Zealander wife, if anyone can hook that up! I want out of this place.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#577 » by bigfoot » Fri Oct 8, 2021 9:46 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

While I am certainly not a Biden fan, I am torn on Prump's response because it has definitely extended the awfulness of the pandemic, however, if he had been reelected, things would have definitely been worse overall. The end of US democracy, most likely, with all the new info (that we all knew as it happened) regarding the attempted coup. It was extremely crappy timing in American history to have Prump as the president at that exact moment that Covid made its way stateside. I'm still looking for a New Zealander wife, if anyone can hook that up! I want out of this place.

There should be a large pool available ... https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/kiwi-men-too-sexy-for-nz-sheilas/LXYU5B4GZLDP52DCI34HZKSOOI/
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#578 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Oct 9, 2021 1:27 am

The "do your own research" people are the ones that still get me the most. When vaccines became openly available to the public, I read a couple of articles from medical journals regarding the differences between how the vaccines worked and how effective they were. Given that I'm a pretty healthy person and didn't have any potential complicating factors, I decided that I didn't really need to be picky regarding which vaccine I got, because they all would boost my immune response and cut my risk of a getting a severe case of Covid-19. I ended up getting the J&J because that was what was being administered at the first available appointment I found. I felt under the weather for a day. That beats the week+ of feeling like crap from mild cases, for all those who like to claim Covid isn't even that bad...
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#579 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 3:17 am

MrMiyagi wrote:

The "do your own research" people are the ones that still get me the most. When vaccines became openly available to the public, I read a couple of articles from medical journals regarding the differences between how the vaccines worked and how effective they were. Given that I'm a pretty healthy person and didn't have any potential complicating factors, I decided that I didn't really need to be picky regarding which vaccine I got, because they all would boost my immune response and cut my risk of a getting a severe case of Covid-19. I ended up getting the J&J because that was what was being administered at the first available appointment I found. I felt under the weather for a day. That beats the week+ of feeling like crap from mild cases, for all those who like to claim Covid isn't even that bad...

I just came across Kareem talking about it....

“The NBA should insist that all players and staff are vaccinated or remove them from the team,” NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar tells Rolling Stone. “There is no room for players who are willing to risk the health and lives of their teammates, the staff and the fans simply because they are unable to grasp the seriousness of the situation or do the necessary research. What I find especially disingenuous about the vaccine deniers is their arrogance at disbelieving immunology and other medical experts. Yet, if their child was sick or they themselves needed emergency medical treatment, how quickly would they do exactly what those same experts told them to do?”

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/nba-anti-vaxxers-covid-1231988/
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#580 » by grumpysaddle » Sat Oct 9, 2021 4:48 am

bigfoot wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

There should be a large pool available ... https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/kiwi-men-too-sexy-for-nz-sheilas/LXYU5B4GZLDP52DCI34HZKSOOI/

Well ****. Sign me up

Return to Phoenix Suns