Foul-baiting rule change is ON

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

mynameKIM
Junior
And1: 793

Re: Foul-baiting rule change is ON 

Post#61 » by mynameKIM » Tue Oct 5, 2021 1:51 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:Does this retroactively wipe out D-Wade's career? Because he was the worst

This rule change alone would've wiped out Paul Pierce and Wade's career FT attempts by half.
mynameKIM
Junior
And1: 793

Post#62 » by mynameKIM » Tue Oct 5, 2021 1:52 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Uh..I’m pretty sure that one is still a foul because he’s moving forward in his jump shot and it’s not any weird change of direction. I mean… that was a pure pump fake which they said this didn’t apply to right?

Comeon dawg, he literally just jumps into the player. Who Jumps on a Jumpshot from that spot like Steph did in that situation :D

Well dawg… if he’s jumping forward that’s not an unnatural change of direction. And everyone jumps about 3 feet forward on a jumpshot!

It’s obvious the rule isn’t clear to us yet, but I thought that was one of the criteria.

Not Curry. His jumpshot is stationary.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,347

Post#63 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Oct 5, 2021 1:55 pm

mynameKIM wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:
Comeon dawg, he literally just jumps into the player. Who Jumps on a Jumpshot from that spot like Steph did in that situation :D

Well dawg… if he’s jumping forward that’s not an unnatural change of direction. And everyone jumps about 3 feet forward on a jumpshot!

It’s obvious the rule isn’t clear to us yet, but I thought that was one of the criteria.

Not Curry. His jumpshot is stationary.

Thats' fair.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#64 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Oct 5, 2021 1:56 pm

mademan wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
mademan wrote:
If Steph shoots normal jumpshot, the defender will never hit him even with the defender jumping forward. It's Steph jumping 3 feet forward in an unnatural way that creates the contact. You really think that should be allowed? It's been a stupid way of officiating for a while and it's a miracle they changed it. Play basketball, doont foul bait

Okay I’m not sure what game you two guys watch ….but most shooters land about three feet forward when shooting a three. It’s how your taught. I’m not saying anything should be allowed, I just don’t think it’s all that clear when you read it. And you’ve read it, right?

im not sure what you were watching bruh. That clearly wasnt a jumpshot. He launched himself into the defender. Nobody shoots like that.

Intent isnt the criteria; the way its worded was natural vs unnatural. You seriously think thats a natural shot for Curry? cmon bruh

literal cringe man how is that normal jumper. i guess the goat shooter cant even airball hits backboard.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#65 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Oct 5, 2021 1:58 pm

svart wrote:Guys, shut it. I am one of his biggest fans, but that was not a normal motion. that was not a foul.
Spin it every way you like it, it still does not make it a foul under the current rules. it was a shame it was a foul last year, and the years before.

pathetic curry finally master to level of harden this yr yet its become illegalized. curry your 30 yrs old where were you last yr drawing 5 per game while trae and harden were busy padding up stats? late to the party but no cheating this yr.
curry needs to stop drawing attention and play quiet like klay. never seen a shooter gain so much attention feel like hes intentionally doing these shaqtin moves every single game to gain fame.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#66 » by Alonzo_Morning » Tue Oct 5, 2021 2:15 pm

I must be the only one who doesn't like it.

If you're good enough to pump fake the **** out of your opponent and have him flying towards you, I have no problems getting rewarded for it
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Post#67 » by davidfr94 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 2:16 pm

My god that play almost made me puke

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using RealGM mobile app
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,254

Post#68 » by Lunartic » Tue Oct 5, 2021 2:24 pm

It's kind of interesting how quickly the Curry Defense force shows up. Guys, this thread isn't a "curry is bad" thread - it's just an example of someone not getting a bad call. Curry isn't too bad when it comes to jumping into defenders, he doesn't do it enough so he actually looks awkward.

I really hope the NBA sticks with this, that is an offensive foul and needs to be called.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#69 » by meekrab » Tue Oct 5, 2021 2:28 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:Does this retroactively wipe out D-Wade's career? Because he was the worst

I don't understand how it worked for so long, everyone in the arena knew Wade was gonna pump fake anytime he squared up to the basket in the midrange. All you have to do is not jump. :banghead:
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#70 » by Betta Bulleavit » Tue Oct 5, 2021 2:30 pm

Karate Diop wrote:Overall this is a good change, but how are in-the-flow pump fakes going to be officiated? Will those no longer be called either?

There is a certain degree of skill in pump faking (think Kobe on the block)...

In theory, it should be pretty simple. If the shooter pump fakes and then goes straight up with the shot (after the initial fake) and the defender jumps toward the shooter making contact, then you call that foul on the defender for obvious reasons.

However, if the defender goes straight up on a pump fake and then the shooter jumps into the defender (in an otherwise unnatural shooting motion) then it should be a play-on since both the shooter and the defender have a right to space and in this case, the shooter would be initiating the contact. Just my opinion.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,188

Post#71 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue Oct 5, 2021 2:44 pm

Harden and Trae about to have a tough time adjusting, expect both of them to be bitching on the regular.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#72 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 2:50 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:Overall this is a good change, but how are in-the-flow pump fakes going to be officiated? Will those no longer be called either?

Those will still be called. Whats key in these new rules is the unnatural movement portion, and leaning into a player who was NOT going to land on the opposing player, amd had a clear path to the ground before the offensive player jumped into them.

Pump fakes, and a player biting is a different ball of wax.

This will mostly stop the horsecrap that happens at the 3-point line. If it is enforced properly, you will see a decline in 3-point percentages across the league. Defensive players will slowly learn they can close out more effectively without worrying about getting called for an absurd foul anymore.

I just wonder if this will affect the Nets chances of winning it all esp on Harden. Also Trey Young-who ever picked him for fantasy basketball.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,937

Post#73 » by sunsbg » Tue Oct 5, 2021 2:57 pm

I was told by certain players' fanbases foul-baiting is a skill, why would NBA try to prevent it. LOL
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,492

Post#74 » by Duffman100 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 2:59 pm

You know this is not going to last... they'll slowly revert back to calling the same old crap.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#75 » by Duffman100 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 3:00 pm

sunsbg wrote:I was told by certain players' fanbases foul-baiting is a skill, why would NBA try to prevent it. LOL

It is a skill. I always said that watching Derozan doing it, it was a skill.

I still hated it.

It can be both a skill and bad for the game.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by sunsbg » Tue Oct 5, 2021 3:03 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:I was told by certain players' fanbases foul-baiting is a skill, why would NBA try to prevent it. LOL

I still hated it.

There is a difference between faking someone who jumps over you and jumping forward searching for a contact to go to the FT line when you can't do anything else other than pass the ball to someone else (as it's done in all other leagues around the world instead of this foul-baiting BS). The former is a skill, the later is not. If this rule is applied we'll see much more passing than stars overdribbling trying to get to the FT line. Much better for the game.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#77 » by Duffman100 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 3:31 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

I still hated it.

There is a difference between faking someone who jumps over you and jumping forward searching for a contact to go to the FT line when you can't do anything else other than pass the ball to someone else (as it's done in all other leagues around the world instead of this foul-baiting BS). The former is a skill, the later is not. If this rule is applied we'll see much more passing than stars overdribbling trying to get to the FT line. Much better for the game.

Both are skills. Doing it so that you get the ref to buy it, it's a skill. I hate it, I think it's crap...but there's reasons why some people are good at it and others aren't. Because it's a skill.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by sunsbg » Tue Oct 5, 2021 3:38 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

I still hated it.

Both are skills. Doing it so that you get the ref to buy it, it's a skill. I hate it, I think it's crap...but there's reasons why some people are good at it and others aren't. Because it's a skill.

As I said, there is a line between the skill and cheating parts. Otherwise other leagues would allow it as well and NBA would not be trying to prevent it right now.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,770

Post#79 » by Karate Diop » Tue Oct 5, 2021 4:07 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:

In theory, it should be pretty simple. If the shooter pump fakes and then goes straight up with the shot (after the initial fake) and the defender jumps toward the shooter making contact, then you call that foul on the defender for obvious reasons.

However, if the defender goes straight up on a pump fake and then the shooter jumps into the defender (in an otherwise unnatural shooting motion) then it should be a play-on since both the shooter and the defender have a right to space and in this case, the shooter would be initiating the contact. Just my opinion.

I think in the flow of a game it'll be hard to determine at times and is going to lead some head scratching calls in the same way verticality did / does... Still better than the alternative, but I was just saying...
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,214

Post#80 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 4:14 pm

Alonzo_Morning wrote:I must be the only one who doesn't like it.

If you're good enough to pump fake the **** out of your opponent and have him flying towards you, I have no problems getting rewarded for it

Tend to agree. I'm all for stopping the body contorting left and right or a guy stopping mid dribble to jump and force a guy on their back. The hooking. The weird kicking the leg out. But this is and has been nba basketball as far back as I can remember. If you get a guy in the air you jump into him and get your free throws because you got a guy to blow his defensive coverage of you. That said I get the other side. That shot looked god awful, it's hard to reward that.

Return to The General Board