ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Frank Ntilikina to the mavs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Re: OT: Frank Ntilikina to the mavs!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Post#241 » by MadGrinch » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 am

moocow007 wrote:
Gravy wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:The wild thing is Thibs did what is expected of him which was be a defensive guy ...but did it much better than expected , he turned the Knicks into a defensive powerhouse , they went from 23rd to 3rd in defense ...without Frank, so what did he need to play him for?

the team only went from 28th to 23rd on offense and most of that improvement was Derrick Rose.

The Mavs on the other hand are led by a generational talent on offense in Luka who literally had the most efficient offense in nba history at the time in 2020, but also a defense that 18th in the league , last season that defense slipped to 20th .

in addition KP has been mediocre , a sore spot for the Mavs especially in the playoffs,

as a player Frank's skillset matches up, he can sit in a corner and make 3s and has been among the league's best in corner 3s the last 2 seasons , he's good defender and the Mavs have poor defenders at the point guard , in addition KP has proven chemistry with him, the player line ups featuring them both were the Knicks best. KP was even campaigning for Frank to start as a rookie alongside him.

I honestly think whereas Frank was superfluous as a Knick, he starts for the Mavs, or he doesn't play at all, it makes little sense to play him with Brunson with whom they would need more offense from other spots and Ntiikina provides that inconsistently , but with Luka and KP he wouldn't need to do anything offensively besides shoot corner 3s and feed KP the ball,

so i think it works out for him and them.

You believe they would start Frank over Tim Hardaway or Reggie Bullock?

I can't see them doing that at all...at all. They signed him to basically a 1 year slightly above minimum deal to see what they have (with the remaining years team options). Unless he's going to suddenly go against everything we've seen about him and explode in preseason and training camp, there's about as much chance Deuce McBride has of starting for the Knicks as Frank starting for the Mavs.

the money doesn't matter , his contract is a reflection of leverage , not ability or usefulness.(frank and mitch robinson make within 13k of each other this season) Their point guards (brunson, trey and tyrell terry) are all poor defenders its unlikely they view any of them as starters as they combined for 13 starts last season.

common basketball tactics put a 3 and D guy at guard to guard point guards out there with this line up , the closest to that player type on the roster is Frank, its not about who is better, its about who is better at what you need them to do.
Its because I'm green isn't it?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#242 » by DOT » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:55 am

Y'all are putting too much time into this

Especially the ones who always whine about how much Frank gets talked about.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,558

Post#243 » by Fat Kat » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:28 pm

K-DOT wrote:Y'all are putting too much time into this

Yep. This has gone on far too long.

Read on Twitter

*farts in the room and leaves*
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,856

Post#244 » by KnicksGod » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Good luck Frank. Hello Board.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#245 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:12 pm

Fat Kat wrote:

Read on Twitter

Doh!

Bump!

The Croissant vs. Oreo War continues
ImageImageImage
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,233

Post#246 » by Zenzibar » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:18 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

Read on Twitter

Doh!

Bump!

The Croissant vs. Oreo War continues

That's historical case of a draft lottery containing a bunch of busts. Daum.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#247 » by seren » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:20 pm

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,843

Post#248 » by robillionaire » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:00 pm

seren wrote:This article says Frank’s contract is not guaranteed beyond next two games:

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platform/amp/2021/10/11/22719444/frank-ntilikina-playing-for-a-roster-spot-dallas-mavericks

oh no no no no no :lol:
Appleshampoo
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#249 » by Appleshampoo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:29 pm

robillionaire wrote:
seren wrote:This article says Frank’s contract is not guaranteed beyond next two games:

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platform/amp/2021/10/11/22719444/frank-ntilikina-playing-for-a-roster-spot-dallas-mavericks

I hate that I read this in the Tik Tok song melody :nonono:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,678

Post#250 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:54 pm

i peeped that too. hope he sticks. hell of an exhibit 9.

i read another article that talked about how chaotic his summer was with the visa process/olympics/pandemic, etc. made me think long and hard about what all these players go through. hard ass work.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,355

Post#251 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:01 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

i read another article that talked about how chaotic his summer was with the visa process/olympics/pandemic, etc. made me think long and hard about what all these players go through. hard ass work.

It's very hard to know exactly what any NBA contracts really are since the league functions by allowing teams to re-classify stuff constantly and for reasons I completely fail to understand does not reveal contract terms - even those which must fall under provisions of the CBA and about which you would have thought openness was necessary in order for other teams to be able to check that no cheating was going on. Disclaimer: I have a rant on this topic of the veiled nature of NBA contracts wrt the salary cap about three times a year - it drives me crazy - I just don't see what the NBA gains from hiding the truth, and it's highly anti-fan.

Having said that, the CBA is very explicit: there is no such thing as a two year Exhibit 9 contract.

CBA, Article II, Section 3(p) wrote:
[Exhibit 9 contracts] shall be permitted only if: (i) the Contract is for one (1) Season in length, ...

So I take the article with more than a grain of salt since it claims Frank has a two-year Exhibit 9 contract.

Further, the contract has persistently been reported as a two year contract with the first year guaranteed and the second year a team option since it was first announced in mid September. The following link points to the only other article, apart from the OP's mavsmoneyball article, I can find with the "two-year Exhibit 9" claim: https://new.in-24.com/sport/basketball/228920.html. That article explicitly takes its information on the contract from the mavsmoneyball article (see that sidebar-ed direct quote from the mmb article below the "Frank Ntilikina endangered… by his own contract?" headline part-way through the piece). [fwiw, I can't find any information at all about that site at a cursory glance - though article's the florid, obviously non-native English speaker prose maybe contains hints as to its location.]

Who knows whether Frank makes the Mavs opening day roster? Currently they have 16 non-two way players on their books, so something has to give - presumably a 2-1 or 1-0 trade or one of Frank, Trey Burke, Moses Brown or Tyrell Terry being waived. However, colour me sceptical that this article has useful information.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,953

Post#252 » by Capn'O » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:23 pm

^I think that author is confused, like bx45kfkl4altha4 said. The Exhibit 9 portion is for next year. He's on the Mavs' roster this season.

Great to see Dennis out of whatever was eating him. Hate to see a young player fall apart. I hope he does well.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,174

Post#253 » by Kampuchea » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:18 pm

robillionaire wrote:

https://youtu.be/V5YxtweUxrA?t=56
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#254 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:18 pm

Capn'O wrote:^I think that author is confused, like bx45kfkl4altha4 said. The Exhibit 9 portion is for next year. He's on the Mavs' roster this season.

Great to see Dennis out of whatever was eating him. Hate to see a young player fall apart. I hope he does well.

All of the other reports do have Frank's second year as a team option. However, if I recall correctly, spotrac have that as becoming guaranteed if Frank is still on the Mavs roster come 4th July 2022.* That somewhat militates against any Exhibit 9 language in Frank's contact as regards summer 2022. Although, again, all of these things tend to be shrouded in more mystery than seems reasonable, so who really knows.

* [edit] I remembered correctly this time, spotrac says, "2022-23: non-guaranteed, fully guaranteed on 7/4/22"

Moreover, while I'm away from a computer right now and can't be bothered to crawl through the CBA on a phone, that clause of the CBA I quoted, is extremely specific and I can't see how it can apply to the second year of a two way contact. So I honestly don't see how the contract can explicitly have an exhibit 9 provision for summer 2022.*

*[edit] I looked again at the CBA and I don't see it is possible to sandwich literal Exhibit 9 provisions into a two year contract.

And again, I believe exhibit 9 means essentially no protection against being injured in summer 2022 and no pay until the regular season starts, only expenses (and per diem?).* So both would seem extremely weird clauses for the middle summer of a two year, one plus one, deal.

*[edit] Check this - it's correct. (If a player with an Exhibit 9 becomes injured and unable to play basketball prior to the team's first regular season game and the injury is a direct result of playing basketball for the team, then the team pays the player $6,000 when it waives him.)

Now that's not too say that there isn't some other work around with the same effect - if the spotrac information about the guarantee date is simply wrong.

Finally, and this is much more shaky because I'm just going off what I think I remember and I really would need to check the CBA to be sure, my recollection, such as it is, is that teams can't sign players who played for them the season before to exhibit 9 deals. Again, I'm really not sure that's correct, but I think that's what I read. If that is right that would stop a team declining a team option in order to keep a player on the roster but in a new, more precarious Exhibit 9 contact. I'll try to check this last bit later.*

*[edit] Meh. At a first go through I don't see anything like this in the CBA. So it may well be possible for a team to sign their own out-of-contract players to Exhibit 9 deals. So really I think we should just ignore this paragraph. :D
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#255 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:32 am

Bumping for my edits to the previous post, given I skimmed the CBA yet again.
Jump Shot
Analyst
And1: 971

Post#256 » by Jump Shot » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:45 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

I go through this every year and I don't make millions playing basketball. It's not hard at all for these dudes, it is for me though :lol:
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#257 » by malik959 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:57 am

Burks
Frank
Thj
Bullock
KP

These guys alone would make this team last in the West and Frank wouldn't miss a beat playing with friends. But add in Doncic and this team becomes 5/6 seed.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#258 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:38 am

Fat Kat wrote:

Read on Twitter

Lmfao
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#259 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:41 am

Since Frank signed with the Mavs and the prophecy came true, I'm kind of rooting for both Frank and DSJr to get cut from their respective teams.

No explanations are necessary, I think.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Post#260 » by j4remi » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:59 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Since Frank signed with the Mavs and the prophecy came true, I'm kind of rooting for both Frank and DSJr to get cut from their respective teams.

No explanations are necessary, I think.

Frank and DSJ joining forces to body the Chinese Basketball League and get statues next to Stephon Marbury's would be the best plot development.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo

Return to New York Knicks