Has Lebron finally outsmarted himself with the lakers?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Jfh20
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,773

Has Lebron finally outsmarted himself with the lakers? 

Post#1 » by Jfh20 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:47 pm

so first, lebron starts with the decision to join up with Dwade and bosh in south beach, which turned out to be a good decision right? they win a few titles, bron is 2x FMVP and things looking up. Then Dwade starts slowing down and bron realizes its over with the miami heat. meanwhile in cleveland kyrie irving was proving to be a all star caliber player and a top 5 pg in the nba and cleveland landing wiggins in the lottery was a opportunity lebron could not let go. So he leaves miami and joins up with cleveland and superteam #2 is built. They win a title (thanks to kyrie heroics) with cleveland and things are looking good. Until they run into the juggernaut GSW which lebron didnt see coming. So they end up losing and soon after kyrie requests a trade and rest is history. Next stop, the Lakeshow! bron and rich paul decide there assets in lakerland and another opportunity! with rich paul pullin strings behind the scenes and tampering they managed to trade for anthony davis. They even tried to sign kawhi but failed. With that said, they still manage to win a title and become champions! but after failing to repeat lebron decides to trade for russell westbrook! a player that has never won anywhere he goes. This is where i think lebron finally outsmarted himself. The lakers will not only fail to win a title with this current team, but will be the laughing stock of the nba. Lebron is not a good GM, and should never be involved in this sort of team personnel decisions. Its ok though, bron won 4 titles, has a great career to look back on. Looking forward to lebrons retirement after this collapse of incoming season.
fourtyounce48
Junior
And1: 246

Re: Has Lebron finally outsmarted himself with the lakers? 

Post#2 » by fourtyounce48 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 pm

You do know Kings are inherently underdogs. That's why they are called Kings.
Night hides the world, but reveals a universe.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#3 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:59 pm

Well a few issues with this, but Lebron didn’t outsmart himself, basically Westbrook was the only guy the salary capped and asset poor Lakers team could trade for. He wasn’t top of their list I would bet but he was gettable. They know they needed more talent and Russ was available. Will it be a car crash? Very possibly. Where the Lakers blundered imho was not paying Caruso. Not that he is great but they have few options on the free market because of the cap to get players that aren’t vet minimum guys. They could sign AC if for nothing else p, just to trade him down the road. Still not sure why they didn’t. Not that he was going to make them a much better team but he is an asset and they are asset poor, unless they are trading AD.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,076

Post#4 » by art_tatum » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:07 pm

You proceedsd to list all the accomplishments of leGM including 4 rings 4 fmvps with 3 different built teams (no matter how colluded), and say hes a bad GM cause of westbrook? Which other GM won 4 rings in the last decade.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#5 » by monopoman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:16 pm

Yeah, this thought process that the Lakers could have easily picked up say Lillard or something is completely off.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,714

Post#6 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:39 pm

art_tatum wrote:You proceedsd to list all the accomplishments of leGM including 4 rings 4 fmvps with 3 different built teams (no matter how colluded), and say hes a bad GM cause of westbrook? Which other GM won 4 rings in the last decade.

I get your point here but I don't like the comparison to other GMs. Many other GMs could win 4 rings if they could simply switch teams to ones that had good assets + also be adding LeBron James to that team. This is the big thing LeBron doesn't get criticized for, it's not that he has played on super teams but that he has ring chased harder than any superstar in history by being on "win now" teams until their assets are toast, then moving on to a new team.

LeBron in some ways has had 2 teams going at times, when he left the Cavs his leaving set up his future championship. If he stayed they'd never have had the assets for the post-Heat chip. It was his leaving that allowed them to replenish assets.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,010

Post#7 » by levon » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:42 pm

they've played 3/4ths of one game together, but thanks for the book report
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,577

Post#8 » by Kingdibs19 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:49 pm

They were never going to get Lillard or Beal. However they could’ve had Hield and KCP instead of Westbrook.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#9 » by _qubik » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 pm

You say Lebron managed to assemble Miami 2x title teams, Cavs first ever title and then turned good not great assets of the Lakers into another title. 4 titles total.

Theres 11 teams without titles in the NBA, then we have 14 more teams with 3 or less titles.

So, Lebron was the GM that won more than 25 NBA franchises, but he is bad, makes total sense.

Stop those conspiration theories, Lebron is the greates player of his generation, wherever he plays other great player will want to play to, and dude did it 4 times as the best player on his team, if you are a good GM you would at least listen to the guys that got it done
bbalnation
Sixth Man
And1: 954

Post#10 » by bbalnation » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:58 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:Well a few issues with this, but Lebron didn’t outsmart himself, basically Westbrook was the only guy the salary capped and asset poor Lakers team could trade for. He wasn’t top of their list I would bet but he was gettable. They know they needed more talent and Russ was available. Will it be a car crash? Very possibly. Where the Lakers blundered imho was not paying Caruso. Not that he is great but they have few options on the free market because of the cap to get players that aren’t vet minimum guys. They could sign AC if for nothing else p, just to trade him down the road. Still not sure why they didn’t. Not that he was going to make them a much better team but he is an asset and they are asset poor, unless they are trading AD.

They could have had Demar instead of Russ, which to me is the biggest gamble LeBron took this summer.

Russ brings out tenacity in teammates and thatll probably help AD/Bron in the regular season more. Spacing wise, I think Demar would have been a better fit, and its what this team needs more in the playoffs. I've already seen him hit a couple of threes in the preseason, so it seems like he's more willing to take them than he was before.

I still think they'll figure it out. The Lakers are loaded and deep, so age is less of a factor. I see enough speed, length, shooting, and defense on this team. Along with a core that has 2 years with Frank Vogel and his principles/vernacular.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#11 » by giberish » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:07 am

They couldn't have had DeMar for hard cap reasons (or at least it would have been difficult). They couldn't get Lillard, Beal or any other real star both because those players weren't on the market at all and because they didn't have anything meaningful to offer.

The options were really depth or Westbrook. IMO they choose poorly, both overrating Westbrook's actual value (as opposed to his fame) and overrating the amount of useful depth you can assemble on all min salary contracts.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#12 » by meekrab » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:18 am

Yeah Westbrook and the collection of retirees they assembled this offseason aren't good, but they're all vets who understand it's a team sport, except maybe Westbrook. If he comes out chucking 20 shots per 36 like he has his whole career then we can talk about why it was a mistake.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#13 » by Kobblehead » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:20 am

Choosing Westbrook over Hield was absurd.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,254

Post#14 » by Lunartic » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:24 am

I think Westbrook still has something left but-

Caruso/KCP/Hield >>> Westbrook

As a Bulls fan, watching Caruso play has been highly highly pleasurable.

The Lakers will be in the WCF at a minimum unless Lebron gets injured.
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,377

Post#15 » by Onlytimewilltel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:25 am

Lunartic wrote:I think Westbrook still has something left but-

Caruso/KCP/Hield >>> Westbrook

As a Bulls fan, watching Caruso play has been highly highly pleasurable.

I agree 100%
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#16 » by Dupp » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:52 am

Buddy, kcp and Caruso >>>>>>> westbrick. Huge mistake.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#17 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:10 am

bbalnation wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Well a few issues with this, but Lebron didn’t outsmart himself, basically Westbrook was the only guy the salary capped and asset poor Lakers team could trade for. He wasn’t top of their list I would bet but he was gettable. They know they needed more talent and Russ was available. Will it be a car crash? Very possibly. Where the Lakers blundered imho was not paying Caruso. Not that he is great but they have few options on the free market because of the cap to get players that aren’t vet minimum guys. They could sign AC if for nothing else p, just to trade him down the road. Still not sure why they didn’t. Not that he was going to make them a much better team but he is an asset and they are asset poor, unless they are trading AD.

They could have had Demar instead of Russ, which to me is the biggest gamble LeBron took this summer.

Russ brings out tenacity in teammates and thatll probably help AD/Bron in the regular season more. Spacing wise, I think Demar would have been a better fit, and its what this team needs more in the playoffs. I've already seen him hit a couple of threes in the preseason, so it seems like he's more willing to take them than he was before.

I still think they'll figure it out. The Lakers are loaded and deep, so age is less of a factor. I see enough speed, length, shooting, and defense on this team. Along with a core that has 2 years with Frank Vogel and his principles/vernacular.

Not sure the Spurs would be willing to help out the Lakers. Westbrook is still the better player but DDR is maybe a better fit. That being said he operates in a lot of the same space that Lebron does. So does Russ too I know.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,721

Post#18 » by floppymoose » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:12 am

I would take Caruso over Westbrook straight up. LAL is a mess. AD and LJ are going to have to drag them into the playoffs.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#19 » by Pennebaker » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:15 am

Jfh20 wrote:so first, lebron starts with the decision to join up with Dwade and bosh in south beach, which turned out to be a good decision right? they win a few titles, bron is 2x FMVP and things looking up. Then Dwade starts slowing down and bron realizes its over with the miami heat. meanwhile in cleveland kyrie irving was proving to be a all star caliber player and a top 5 pg in the nba and cleveland landing wiggins in the lottery was a opportunity lebron could not let go. So he leaves miami and joins up with cleveland and superteam #2 is built. They win a title (thanks to kyrie heroics) with cleveland and things are looking good. Until they run into the juggernaut GSW which lebron didnt see coming. So they end up losing and soon after kyrie requests a trade and rest is history. Next stop, the Lakeshow! bron and rich paul decide there assets in lakerland and another opportunity! with rich paul pullin strings behind the scenes and tampering they managed to trade for anthony davis. They even tried to sign kawhi but failed. With that said, they still manage to win a title and become champions! but after failing to repeat lebron decides to trade for russell westbrook! a player that has never won anywhere he goes. This is where i think lebron finally outsmarted himself. The lakers will not only fail to win a title with this current team, but will be the laughing stock of the nba. Lebron is not a good GM, and should never be involved in this sort of team personnel decisions. Its ok though, bron won 4 titles, has a great career to look back on. Looking forward to lebrons retirement after this collapse of incoming season.

This version of the Lakers is just the Heatles 2.0 with the same issues.

LeBron won 4 titles as a GM. Working on 5.
Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,503

Post#20 » by Joerezz7 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:05 am

Jfh20 wrote:so first, lebron starts with the decision to join up with Dwade and bosh in south beach, which turned out to be a good decision right? they win a few titles, bron is 2x FMVP and things looking up. Then Dwade starts slowing down and bron realizes its over with the miami heat. meanwhile in cleveland kyrie irving was proving to be a all star caliber player and a top 5 pg in the nba and cleveland landing wiggins in the lottery was a opportunity lebron could not let go. So he leaves miami and joins up with cleveland and superteam #2 is built. They win a title (thanks to kyrie heroics) with cleveland and things are looking good. Until they run into the juggernaut GSW which lebron didnt see coming. So they end up losing and soon after kyrie requests a trade and rest is history. Next stop, the Lakeshow! bron and rich paul decide there assets in lakerland and another opportunity! with rich paul pullin strings behind the scenes and tampering they managed to trade for anthony davis. They even tried to sign kawhi but failed. With that said, they still manage to win a title and become champions! but after failing to repeat lebron decides to trade for russell westbrook! a player that has never won anywhere he goes. This is where i think lebron finally outsmarted himself. The lakers will not only fail to win a title with this current team, but will be the laughing stock of the nba. Lebron is not a good GM, and should never be involved in this sort of team personnel decisions. Its ok though, bron won 4 titles, has a great career to look back on. Looking forward to lebrons retirement after this collapse of incoming season.

100% agree. I don’t know how he’s considered top 3 all time when he took the route that he did to win rings, jumping from super team to super team.
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

There is nothing inherently different about winning in the Finals compared to winning other playoff seriess,

Return to The General Board