Do you think the Nets can still win the title if Kyrie doesn’t return this season?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Do you think the Nets can still win the title if Kyrie doesn’t return this season?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 206

Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,764

Re: Do you think the Nets can still win the title if Kyrie doesn’t return this season? 

Post#21 » by Karate Diop » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:40 am

Don't see why not... There's nobody in the East who will threaten them when healthy...
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Do you think the Nets can still win the title if Kyrie doesn’t return this season? 

Post#22 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:51 am

I dunno in what world having two top tier MVP level threats isn’t super or a championship threat.

People call teams a superteam if they have an MVP and two all stars that are falling apart or already fell off. I don’t even know what the term means anymore. They have two monstrous star players and decent depth.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#23 » by Impuniti » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:52 am

Yeah, they only have 2 top 5 players now. Why are people making it seem like they aren't an incredibly stacked team either way? How is this a discussion, or has common sense left the NBA community? :crazy:
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#24 » by BoatsNZones » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:59 am

Rodwilliams wrote:They went from a super team to a team that’s now beatable due to the loss of Kyrie. I don’t know if they can win the title now. They will be a top 4 seed yes but not sure if they have enough. They will have a tough battle with teams like the Lakers and Bucks without no Kyrie.

They were a toe-on-the-line away from beating the Bucks with no Kyrie and either no Harden or less than 60% Harden (+ Joe Harris playing impossibly bad). Yes, they are still the heavy favorites without Kyrie. Remember that they signed Patty Mills, and if they get literally anything in a trade for Kyrie role-player wise? They become a far better team than they were with Kyrie (they don't need his scoring prowess - KD and Harden can cover it - and that's all he offers).

All you're fading with a bet on the Nets is injury. If they're healthy, they are going to easily win the title.
Stan
Sixth Man
And1: 2,449

Post#25 » by Stan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:37 am

They're still the title favorites even without Kyrie, absolutely ridiculous thread. "Can" they still win like they don't have Durant & Harden :lol:
watpho71
Junior
And1: 111

Post#26 » by watpho71 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:45 am

Losing the value of a max player speaks volumes, you don't replace the role and are at a disadvantage. The Nets are still damn good, and capable of getting to the finals. Brown fits nice with the starters, Mills is a great addition and spark off the bench, although they lack guard depth. I see more opportunity for big line ups; Griffin, Aldridge, Millsap, Claxton, James Johnson with KD at the three. I'm imagining Mills and Harris playing alongside Harden and Durant, that's scary.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,474

Post#27 » by DaPessimist » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:49 am

It drops them a tier for me. With Kyrie, I think they're the favorites. Without Kyrie, I would lean towards the Lakers and Bucks.

The Nets aren't just losing Kyrie's on-court production, they're losing all the depth that's tied up in his salary.
MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 667
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Post#28 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:01 am

Who knows. The Big IF for the upcoming season has always been injuries. With this present situation, there's one less top player to step up in case that happens... even if temporarily while a team-mate heals.
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#29 » by Sixerscan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:16 am

Can sure but no longer the favorites.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Post#30 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:55 am

Yes they’re still contenders.

Also, Kyrie will return sometime in the New Year and with a healthy roster Nets win the title this year.
Go Raps!!
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#31 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:10 am

Of course, there's no giants in the NBA this year outside of the Nets.

But this question won't matter, Kyrie will get the vaccine after he decides how long he wants to extend his vacation.

Then he'll go onto his next theory like we are all lizard people and he's the only normal human left. Whatever he can say to get attention because that's all this is. His anti vax stance about "control" has as much credibility as his flat earth stance. It's only about attention and being a complete and utter deranged acting out for endless attention human.

If Irving was living his dream life he'd be on the Jerry Springer show every day after his appearance on the Dr Phil show and just acting out in the wildest of ways to get a reaction.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#32 » by Pennebaker » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:55 am

I don't think so. If Harden was a better defender maybe. Blake Griffin? LaMarcus Aldridge?? I just don't see that happening.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,965

Post#33 » by falcolombardi » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:05 am

yes, but their Margin of error is fighter, their depth becomes worse and injuries to any one of durant/harden a lot more dangerous (both for regular season seeding as for playoffs)
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#34 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:37 am

The Nets will have probably yhe two best offensive players on the floor in any series. That’s a monster advantage.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Post#35 » by Packbuckman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:36 am

BoatsNZones wrote:
Rodwilliams wrote:They went from a super team to a team that’s now beatable due to the loss of Kyrie. I don’t know if they can win the title now. They will be a top 4 seed yes but not sure if they have enough. They will have a tough battle with teams like the Lakers and Bucks without no Kyrie.

They were a toe-on-the-line away from beating the Bucks with no Kyrie and either no Harden or less than 60% Harden (+ Joe Harris playing impossibly bad). Yes, they are still the heavy favorites without Kyrie. Remember that they signed Patty Mills, and if they get literally anything in a trade for Kyrie role-player wise? They become a far better team than they were with Kyrie (they don't need his scoring prowess - KD and Harden can cover it - and that's all he offers).

All you're fading with a bet on the Nets is injury. If they're healthy, they are going to easily win the title.

They also lost Green who was on fire from 3 against the Bucks and the Bucks are a better team then last year too nothing is a giving like you think it’s a whole new season.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,540

Post#36 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:42 am

I don’t think the Nets are winning the title regardless if Kyrie returns or not.
Rodwilliams
Bench Warmer
And1: 962

Post#37 » by Rodwilliams » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:53 am

They need Kyrie to win the title.
Harry Garris wrote: Curry can turn non playoff teams into title contenders.

Not if the team doesn’t have elite defenders[/quote]
What a pointless statement.Every Finals team had elite role players[/quote]
Rodwilliams wrote:Duh!Thats what I just said. Eat your own words
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,057

Post#38 » by Johnny Tomala » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 am

They won't win the title without Kyrie. They need offense to owerpower rivals, they won't win the title with their current roster without Kyrie.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#39 » by Da ThRONe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:17 am

Yes, but far less likely.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#40 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:22 am

the thought of nets win title without kyrie is insane. thats max contract doing nothing and their core is very aged with minimal playoff experience for young draftees.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.

Return to The General Board