Jason Kidd is actually doing a good job.......

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst
And1: 12,237

Re: Jason Kidd is actually doing a good job....... 

Post#21 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:10 pm

og15 wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Really? After just three PRESEASON games? Come on now.

RealGM is really the land of hot takes and overreactions.

I mean poster said, "looks like" and "could be", those are about the least conclusive statements possible. Basically just statements of hope, not really what I would call a "hot take".

Okay the OP didn't make any hot take. But I'm totally sure it was an overreaction.

Three preseason games and Kidd is "actually doing a good job"? Furthermore, Kidd made Porzingis more productive offensively? Because Porzingis wonderfully averaged about 12 points per game in preseason? COME ON.
Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Just an observation. Carry on :usa:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2135964&p=94616946#p94616946
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#22 » by matt6715 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:15 pm

Non-Mavs fans won't get it but the OP is correct. Ball movement is better, body language is better, team looks fully engaged and bought in. Preseason only yes but it's been promising coming off such a tumultuous offseason.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,983

Post#23 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:22 pm

I think Kidd will be the most scrutinized coach this year. Not only is he replacing a GOAT level coach who'd been in Dallas for 13 years (and brought about the franchises' only championship), but Kidd is also walking into a precarious situation: a pseudo-contender built around a generational star with big roster questions around that star. Kidd is also infamous for major flameouts at his last 2 head coaching stops, and is as much a meme as any coach out there.

Good thing for Kidd, there is some low hanging fruit here:
- As many have already mentioned in this thread: Porzingis' health and performance is arguably the most important thing on the Dallas roster. If Porzingis is healthier this year, and goes back to being the rim-protecting floor-spacer who occasionally threatens the rim, Kidd will get credit, whether he has anything to do with it at all!
- The roster is a little bit more geared towards 3 and D around Luka this year. No experiments with a secondary creator like Delon Wright or Richardson. Reggie Bullock and Sterling Brown should be easy adds to the rotation and not players Kidd will have to "figure out". Letting Luka cook, surrounded by shooting, is about the easiest offense you can get.

A big question for me will come in the playoffs. There has been the hypothesis that Dallas is actually closer than contention than their first-round exits suggest. Had they not played the Clippers, and endured Kawhi's playoff terminator mode, might they have beaten other teams? The Clippers are a particularly formidable opponent and Dallas has had them on the ropes. If the Kidd-era Mavs get an easier first-round draw or some injury luck, maybe Kidd will get heralded with getting them out of the first round. But my question is: were the Mavs a contender getting smothered early by an unlucky opponent? Or did they just look that way, and pushed the Clippers so hard because of Carlisle? Is there any coach better at messing up a superior opponent in the playoffs? I'll never forget 2014 when he took the Spurs to 7 in the first round with a total joke roster. No one thought the 2014 Mavs were a contender, and the 2014 Spurs are an all-time team (demolished the Thunder and Heat that year). The waters are even more muddied by the Mavericks schedule last year. They went a pedestrian 42-30 and grabbed the 5th seed. But covid wiped out the first third of their season, and they endured a 3-10 stretch missing half their roster. Had they been healthy and gone 10-3 instead, they'd have been the 3 seed and played Portland in the first round, a team with a weak defense zero players capable of defending Doncic. We'd think of them completely differently.

Basically, I think Dallas could improve a lot this year just by having some better luck, and Kidd will get credit and added job security for it.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,126

Post#24 » by brutalitops » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:26 pm

Can anyone stop the wolves this season? were on track for 82-0 according to pre-season. Unstoppable
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#25 » by khufure » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:34 pm

Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,364

Post#26 » by Hipster Doofus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:36 pm

Jason Kidd a good coach? F*** outta here. Just wait and let's talk again around the all-star break.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#27 » by matt6715 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:38 pm

Canadian6ersFan wrote:Jason Kidd a good coach? F*** outta here. Just wait and let's talk again around the all-star break.

Tyronn Lue was clowned as a coach for a few years too.
hauntedcomputer
Starter
And1: 3,673

Post#28 » by hauntedcomputer » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:42 pm

Dude's holding onto his drink. Coach of the year.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,353

Post#29 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:45 pm

He'll alienate someone soon enough.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,347

Post#30 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:10 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:He took a lot of crap when he got hired but we look like a different team particularly defensively, he also looks to have unlocked kp both offensively and defensively who has been very vocal about not liking the way Carlisle used him. Im not saying he's a better coach than Rick but he could be a better fit for this roster.

KP was awesome under Carlisle two years ago. He played poorly in the playoffs that season and much of last year because he had a hard time recovering from injury. It wasn't because of the way the coach was deploying him

KP was good in the bubble playoffs. Now it was only 3 games so the sample is meaningless, but still he was really good and that with the ejection and knee injury in game 1.

And he will be very good to start this season as he always is when he has a long stretch of good health. The problem is once he gets hurt not only does he miss games, but he takes forever to ramp up again. He basically never got there defensively at all last year.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
dickfox
Senior
And1: 521

Post#31 » by dickfox » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:13 pm

Let's get into the season before we start praising this psychopath
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,002

Post#32 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:32 pm

He better because this is it for Kidd like dinner for Bania if this doesn't work.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#33 » by Scalabrine » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:33 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:Coaching is just as much about establishing the right orchestra of assistants and managing the locker room as it is X's and O's (many also done by assistants). TBD what he's learned since his first stint. He was an extremely cerebral player and very green in his first head coaching stint. Think what you will about J Kidd the person, he certainly has potential as a high level coach. We shall see.

He has been a Head Coach 2x already and was a clown in both destinations. His time in Dallas will be relatively short and will end badly.

It's unfair to just right off a head coach so quickly. Especially one that we had the experience of watching play. Kidd reinvented himself multiple times throughout his playing career. Exceeded expectations everywhere he went, and was a leader on every team. It's more than reasonable to expect that he can continue to learn and grow as a coach.

The Nets situation was a really bad one. They hired him before the acquired Terry, KG, Pierce, etc and had they known that, they probably wouldn't have hired one of their peers to coach them, they would have went with a more experienced respected coach.

In Milwaukee, he was still a young head coach, and he had plenty of issues for sure, but he deserves credit for help to get Giannis to where he is now, by giving him the ball, making him the playmaker, giving him confidence, and running everything through him even though he wasn't totally ready. Giannis certainly gives him credit for that...

He won a championship as a lead assistant in LA, and that should only help him continue to grow as a coach and learn from LeBron, Vogel and the rest of the staff on how to communicate, how to strategize, and how to react as a coach.

I actually think this was a good hire and he will do great for Luka's development and hopefully repair KP's value to the team.
Go Knicks!
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#34 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:59 pm

Way too many stories him being an irrational jerk as both a player and head coach for me to give him the benefit of the doubt yet.

Maybe he learned from his mistakes, we'll see.

Still astonished Cuban hired him after his failures with the Nets and the Bucks, especially when the Bucks became way better once they fired him and hired Bud.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,227

Post#35 » by Ambrose » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:13 pm

Way too early to say one way or another. So far so good, and I hope things continue in the right direction for Dallas.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,249

Post#36 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:48 pm

matt6715 wrote:
Canadian6ersFan wrote:Jason Kidd a good coach? F*** outta here. Just wait and let's talk again around the all-star break.

I find it strange that people have so little hope on Kidd. Yeah, he had his blunders, but as a player, he was one of the smartest players possibly ever, you really telling there is no hope for that guy to turn into a good coach?
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,882

Post#37 » by Effigy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:49 pm

Every coach in the league doing a good job. They're all undefeated!
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#38 » by CobraCommander » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Really? After just three PRESEASON games? Come on now.

RealGM is really the land of hot takes and overreactions.

Yeah big overreaction to say a guy is doing a good job so far huh

You over reacting to the lack of over reacting- let’s react properly this year?
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#39 » by MrPerfect1 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:58 am

UcanUwill wrote:
matt6715 wrote:

I find it strange that people have so little hope on Kidd. Yeah, he had his blunders, but as a player, he was one of the smartest players possibly ever, you really telling there is no hope for that guy to turn into a good coach?

I think his playing IQ has proven meaningless in regards to coaching, similar to how you wouldn't want Magic as you head coach.

I have a general rule for coaches:

If a team you coach for multiple years is only soso and the only major change they make is replacing you and the team instantly becomes a Title favorite with the new one, then you are really not a good coach.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#40 » by Scalabrine » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:34 pm

Danny1616 wrote:Way too many stories him being an irrational jerk as both a player and head coach for me to give him the benefit of the doubt yet.

Maybe he learned from his mistakes, we'll see.

Still astonished Cuban hired him after his failures with the Nets and the Bucks, especially when the Bucks became way better once they fired him and hired Bud.

Bud was a COY already who had had years of success coaching Atlanta to prominent regular season success year after year. It's also no coincidence that the Bucks got better as Giannis matured. I think they would have continued to get better as he got better regardless of who was coaching him, and Kidd was certainly a guy that should be credited with empowering him.

Kidd also has plenty of history with Cuban and the Mavs organization. Was drafted with them, won ROY, went back there as a vet and was a key piece to them winning their only championship.

This shouldn't be astonishing. In fact, it shouldn't be surprising at all. If he was gonna get another shot at a HC then the Mavs were the favorites to be that team.
Go Knicks!

Return to The General Board