2021 Training Camp and PreSeason notes

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: 2021 Training Camp and PreSeason notes 

Post#41 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:07 pm

Tom White wrote:Why did they sign Craig?

because they had learned that Warren wasn't ready and they felt they needed another veteran 3.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#42 » by Tom White » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:18 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:Why did they sign Craig?

because they had learned that Warren wasn't ready and they felt they needed another veteran 3.

Yeah, I was about to say they could cover that with Holiday and Lamb, but the injuries this team has had (still has) really complicates things.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#43 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:50 pm

Tom White wrote:Yeah, I was about to say they could cover that with Holiday and Lamb, but the injuries this team has had (still has) really complicates things.

Lamb is a much better scorer, but Craig is a much better defender. with Warren out, Holiday starts.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#44 » by 8305 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:41 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:Yeah, I was about to say they could cover that with Holiday and Lamb, but the injuries this team has had (still has) really complicates things.

Lamb is a much better scorer, but Craig is a much better defender. with Warren out, Holiday starts.

Nice to see Lamb taking advantage of the opportunity. Is it a given that Levert is plugged back in to starting if Duarte, Holiday, Lamb and the team get off to a good start?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#45 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:46 pm

8305 wrote:Is it a given that Levert is plugged back in to starting if Duarte, Holiday, Lamb and the team get off to a good start?

I don't think we even know how long LeVert will be out. I think it is a given that they hope he is ready to start in game 1.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:58 pm

8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Nice to see Lamb taking advantage of the opportunity. Is it a given that Levert is plugged back in to starting if Duarte, Holiday, Lamb and the team get off to a good start?

Once he’s healthy, yes. I would think that would be a given.

Remember, we were really wanting to move Lamb when Levert and Warren were to be ready for the season opener, and Sumner was healthy. Obviously, losing 3 of the better players ahead of him would give him an opportunity to play and play well. But if Levert and Warren return healthy, and Duarte continues to play well, Justin is also ahead of him, and Lamb is, at best, the 5th wing, and struggling for minutes.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#47 » by Tom White » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:01 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:.....and Lamb is, at best, the 5th wing, and struggling for minutes.

And that really is a shame, because he does have some talents
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:11 am

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:.....and Lamb is, at best, the 5th wing, and struggling for minutes.

Absolutely, he’s got talents. It’s more a positive statement on how talented Levert, Warren, Duarte, McConnell and Holiday are. And how highly we probably thought of Sumner, pre-injury.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#49 » by Topofthekey » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:27 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Absolutely, he’s got talents. It’s more a positive statement on how talented Levert, Warren, Duarte, McConnell and Holiday are. And how highly we probably thought of Sumner, pre-injury.

I like Lamb, he's a very good player, and he plays with hustle in terms of getting the long rebounds and snagging the loose balls

He has two main shortcomings though. The most obvious one is defense. He has the length and talent to be a good defender, but he seems to lack defensive awareness. The second one is, although he's a very good player, there isn't one area where he excels in. That puts him in a strange twilight zone where he's isn't good enough to be the permanent starter of your team, and at the same time even though he's more talented than most of the bench he doesn't have a bread and butter skill that allows him to carve out a permanent role for himself in the second unit

I suppose his best role is being a shot creator/scoring wing off the bench, which is valuable, but he gets beat by others with skills that are more valued, like Justin and Duarte and Craig (3 and D), and TJ (backup ball handler)

For Lamb to carve out a niche for himself, he needs to either improve a lot defensively, or shoot something like 45% from 3. Or maybe a happy medium where he becomes a plus defender and shoot 40% from 3

Edit:
Apparently he has a reputation for making game winning buckets against the Raptors?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:50 pm

I could get used to this
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 715

Post#51 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:03 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:I could get used to this
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I’m pretty sure we’ll see this quite often as that’s his natural skill. Also nightly blocks.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#52 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:26 am

Duarte and Jackson looked good. even Goga played well. none of the wannabes impressed. even Brissett has taken a step backwards.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#53 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:28 am

Preseason is over. Will be interesting to see if Pritchard will pick up another teams cut player or if they stick with our lack luster end of the bench. I actually like Jarreau’s handles playing the point guard tonight. I thought Washington also outplayed Sykes tonight. Hinton does nothing for me and Taylor needs G league experience. Unfortunately Brissett and Wanamaker aren’t impressing me. Finally Goga played more inspired. Sad to say as much as Pritchard may think he’s got a lot of talent assembled I just don’t see more than 10 deep with Kelan Martin being 11th man. That leaves 4 non productive roster spots plus 2 G league 2 way players. Due to poor roster construction and most importantly 2 major injuries currently it’s gonna be a loooong season. :-?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:41 am

Pacers Forever wrote:Preseason is over. Will be interesting to see if Pritchard will pick up another teams cut player or if they stick with our lack luster end of the bench. I actually like Jarreau’s handles playing the point guard tonight. I thought Washington also outplayed Sykes tonight. Hinton does nothing for me and Taylor needs G league experience. Unfortunately Brissett and Wanamaker aren’t impressing me. Finally Goga played more inspired. Sad to say as much as Pritchard may think he’s got a lot of talent assembled I just don’t see more than 10 deep with Kelan Martin being 11th man. That leaves 4 non productive roster spots plus 2 G league 2 way players. Due to poor roster construction and most importantly 2 major injuries currently it’s gonna be a loooong season. :-?

Hinton and Taylor were only ever signings for Ft Wayne. Sykes likely was, too, but had a chance at the 15th spot due to circumstances but hasn’t been able to show that he really deserves it.

Don’t be surprised if we wave a couple guys, and still claim a couple other guys (and subsequently waive them) to cycle guys through to Ft Wayne.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:36 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:36 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Remember, these are moves to steer guys to the Ft Wayne Mad Ants. None will be on the 15 man roster.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:43 pm

:lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#58 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:11 pm

Need 15 plus 2 2-way players

So roster sits at 13 under contract
Duane Washington Jr. 2 way contract

Kelan Martin not guaranteed
Brad Wanamaker camp body
DeJon Jarreau camp body

Plus 3 new signings probable waived soon

Am I missing anything ?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:30 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:Need 15 plus 2 2-way players

So roster sits at 13 under contract
Duane Washington Jr. 2 way contract

Kelan Martin not guaranteed
Brad Wanamaker camp body
DeJon Jarreau camp body

Plus 3 new signings probable waived soon

Am I missing anything ?

Jarreau is the other 2 way contract. 12 guaranteed contracts with Oshae, Kelan Martin, and Brad Wannamaker as non guaranteed contracts.

Theoretically, once the 3 new temporary guys are waived, we could be set. Or we could waive someone and go with 14. I assume Brissett is a sure thing. The last two spots, who knows.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:28 pm

Farewell….we hardly knew ye….

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Indiana Pacers