Curry & Harden would've averaged 40 a game in the 90's. Change my mind

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,227

Re: Curry & Harden would've averaged 40 a game in the 90's. Change my mind 

Post#81 » by Ambrose » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:45 pm

Okay simple, pace of the game was too slow from 94 on. That only gives you 90-93 to achieve it, and 3's weren't really part of the game. Even if you transport them as is teams would adapt and force them to give up the ball and make guys like Tyrone Hill beat them.
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Post#82 » by twyzted » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:07 pm

camby23 wrote:
camby23 wrote:
And then people like you are saying that now defense looks like sh... It looks like that because the offense in 5x better than 20-30 years ago. It's preatty easy to defend when 4 of 5 players can't shoot and when most of the plyares are playing ISO and taking bad shots.

Of course they would make adjustments. 90's coaches were not idiots. But Curry, Harden, Lillard, Young etc. in 90s = defense have to start not 19 ft from the basket like in the 90's but more like 29 ft like now = more space to cover and more space for your teammates (who also can shoot) = defense doesnt look so great anymore.

I dont see how it matters if you just throw harden or curry into the 90s?

The bulls regularly guarded the other teams ballhandler from the inbound pass and if curry/harden are playing with 90s players who cant shot... It doesnt change anything.
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,213

Post#83 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:36 pm

twyzted wrote:
camby23 wrote:
camby23 wrote:
And then people like you are saying that now defense looks like sh... It looks like that because the offense in 5x better than 20-30 years ago. It's preatty easy to defend when 4 of 5 players can't shoot and when most of the plyares are playing ISO and taking bad shots.

Of course they would make adjustments. 90's coaches were not idiots. But Curry, Harden, Lillard, Young etc. in 90s = defense have to start not 19 ft from the basket like in the 90's but more like 29 ft like now = more space to cover and more space for your teammates (who also can shoot) = defense doesnt look so great anymore.

The bulls regularly guarded the other teams ballhandler from the inbound pass and if curry/harden are playing with 90s players who cant shot... It doesnt change anything.

https://youtu.be/xg7iGuwaBKE?t=1069

GOAT right here not even responding to a pretty good 3 point shooter being wide open.

And while you do see the bull often near ball handlers full court, Curry does his damage more off ball and Harden's game is mostly his step back and drive ability.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#84 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:54 pm

I don’t think they would enjoy the physical nature of 90s basketball . A lot calls they rely won’t be there
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#85 » by draftnightsuit » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:56 pm

RoxSteady wrote:Hand checking was allowed, so no.

On the other hand, for three years the three point line was moved about 2 feet closer. But still no.

Handchecking was never allowed, and even if it was it wouldn’t matter. What are those little scrawny 6’3” SGs from the ‘90s about to do to Harden?
draftnightsuit
Analyst

Post#86 » by draftnightsuit » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:01 pm

Curry would average 60 during the shortened 3-point line era.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,039

Post#87 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:14 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:I think they would get called for palming and traveling more than anything.

Rules were different then.

Now rules are subjective.

Handles are sick but most of the time its illegal.

Double step backs are sick but most of the time its illegal.

Back then they would be called on their ****.

Now its just whatever.

you just dont know the rules. gathers steps have been in the nba since the 80s.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,726

Post#88 » by HotelVitale » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:27 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:
RoxSteady wrote:Hand checking was allowed, so no. On the other hand, for three years the three point line was moved about 2 feet closer. But still no.
Handchecking was never allowed, and even if it was it wouldn’t matter. What are those little scrawny 6’3” SGs from the ‘90s about to do to Harden?

Yeah not sure why people have created the caricature that 'hand-checking' meant you could block offensive players like this was football. You could never in NBA history put any force on a player with your hand--at all--and you can still put a hand or arm on guys in the paint or off ball, happens every minute of every NBA game. The rule just meant that you couldn't rest your hand on someone who was facing up to you. It's pretty meaningless, or at least has a small impact.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,953

Post#89 » by chitownsports4ever » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:33 pm

Curry and Harden wouldn't be able to guard anyone and I see them both getting bullied right off the floor. Its funny to me that people think the chucker nature of their games would've even been allowed back then when you have so many dominate centers .

There are far too many games today where a ton of possessions are wasted tossing up 30 footers and people think players back then would be okay with it ? Go watch some Reggie Miller film and look at how physical they were with him and how hard he had to work.

They will always be great shooters even if you stick them in the 90s but the flopping ,chucking ,and the amount of points they would give up on the other end would make it a wash
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
HEAT33
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#90 » by HEAT33 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:54 pm

Hand checking is a huge factor. Is slowed the balled handler down and made is easier for perimeter defenders.

Hands on players today is not even close to the same as it was. The NBA has moved the game to make it more perimeter friendly, fouls on almost everything to free up the offense.

It’s easy to understand, not sure how people don’t understand that.

It doesn’t happened every game, but imagine The bad boy pistons pulling the Jordan rules on him?
EscapoTHB wrote:I think the 92 dream team would get beat by a lot of the top international teams today.

:lol:
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#91 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:07 pm

Nah, hand checking and they didn’t allow illegal moving screens, travels, carries and push offs. Harden is most reliant on breaking these rules. Steph would be great in any era though he’d just need to play off ball more
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Post#92 » by twyzted » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:14 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
twyzted wrote:
camby23 wrote:

https://youtu.be/xg7iGuwaBKE?t=1069

GOAT right here not even responding to a pretty good 3 point shooter being wide open.

And while you do see the bull often near ball handlers full court, Curry does his damage more off ball and Harden's game is mostly his step back and drive ability.

Ok there are also many youtube videos that show them full court pressing ball handlers, whats your point?

"It's preatty easy to defend when 4 of 5 players can't shoot"

"In 90s = defense have to start not 19 ft from the basket like in the 90's but more like 29 ft like now = more space to cover and more space for your teammates (who also can shoot) = defense doesnt look so great anymore"

If you throw harden or curry into the 90s they would be playing with guys who cant shot... So then the latter obviously makes zero sense.

And i guess nobody played off ball in the 90s :noway:
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#93 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:42 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:
RoxSteady wrote:Hand checking was allowed, so no. On the other hand, for three years the three point line was moved about 2 feet closer. But still no.

Yeah not sure why people have created the caricature that 'hand-checking' meant you could block offensive players like this was football. You could never in NBA history put any force on a player with your hand--at all--and you can still put a hand or arm on guys in the paint or off ball, happens every minute of every NBA game. The rule just meant that you couldn't rest your hand on someone who was facing up to you. It's pretty meaningless, or at least has a small impact.

In reality, it was common for perimeter defenders to direct offensive players with hand checking all the way up 2004 when the league made it a point of emphasis to crack down on it.

Bottom line though, is that defenses would have to adjust.

In a big game, the most obvious thing to do would be to never leave a player like Steph open for a jumper, and when he drives you clothesline him. When he starts heating up on his 3's in spite of your efforts to contest them, you undercut him and see if those J's still rain down when he's limping on his ankle.

If all else fails, an elbow to the head can work wonders for your playoff chances (see Mark Price + Rick Mahorn).
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,463

Post#94 » by Wigginstime » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:46 pm

Here is why you are 100% wrong.

Analytics have driven the league to an era where basketball scoring consists of 3pt shooting, layups and fts. The midrange game is rapidly decreasing. This has resulted in an era with all time highs in scoring efficiency and overall player efficiency

Despite the "entire league" playing at all time highs in efficiency, no one is even close to the efficiency Jordan played at. Jordan had a career average of 40.4pts / 100 possessions compared with Harden (36) and Curry (34). Its non-sense to think that players who have every analytical advantage on their side, yet still perform significantly inferior to Jordan are some how going to magically scorer more points/game than Jordan did in Jordan's era.

Pure nonsense
draftnightsuit
Analyst

Post#95 » by draftnightsuit » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:50 pm

HEAT33 wrote:Hand checking is a huge factor. Is slowed the balled handler down and made is easier for perimeter defenders.

Hands on players today is not even close to the same as it was. The NBA has moved the game to make it more perimeter friendly, fouls on almost everything to free up the offense.

It’s easy to understand, not sure how people don’t understand that.

It doesn’t happened every game, but imagine The bad boy pistons pulling the Jordan rules on him?

Jordan rules don’t work on Harden. Harden has about 30 pounds on MJ and can out muscle a lot of big men. Jordan was a skinny, wiry guard who avoided contact through acrobatic athleticism. Harden bulls right though you.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#96 » by Jkam31 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:08 pm

Currygoat wrote:
RoxSteady wrote:Hand checking was allowed, so you're wrong. Unless you're talking about that year when the three point line was moved closer.

Hand checking won’t work on these skilled guys. Listen to what guys like Gilbert Arenas

Go play at your local gym with hand checking than no hand checking and see how dumb this comment was
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#97 » by gavran » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:18 pm

No. Mind=changed.
Currygoat
Senior
And1: 821

Post#98 » by Currygoat » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:19 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
Currygoat wrote:
RoxSteady wrote:Hand checking was allowed, so you're wrong. Unless you're talking about that year when the three point line was moved closer.

Hand checking won’t work on these skilled guys. Listen to what guys like Gilbert Arenas

Go play at your local gym with hand checking than no hand checking and see how dumb this comment was

Or I can listen to a professional athlete that average 30ppg for an nba season in one of the worst offensive eras lmaooooo
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#99 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:26 pm

the pace of play alone would stop them from averaging 40 a game
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,001

Post#100 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:56 pm

Harden? Yes because I believe Harden is a guy who can adapt his game to any era and he's a big body with handles so I have feeling if he knew he couldn't embellish the contact and draw fouls like in the 90s he just plays a tougher brand of basketball. Go watch Harden when he's playing pickup games in the off-season. Steph? Absolutely not because he's never been the strongest player and even though he has insane handles I believe the hand-checking would bother him and he doesn't have A.I. explosiveness to just blow by people. That said I still think he could put up 24-25ish in the 90s cause of his insane shooting ability and range.

Return to The General Board