No more simmons thread? IND/PHI/CLE with follow up

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,355

No more simmons thread? IND/PHI/CLE with follow up 

Post#1 » by Saul Goodman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:33 pm

To Indiana
Ben Simmons
Shake Milton

To Philly
Caris Levert
Malcolm Brogdon
Collin Sexton

To Cleveland:
Tyrese Maxey
Jaden Springer
Indiana top 10 protected 1st
Philly 2025 1st

76ers get a big basket of perimeter defence, outside shooting, and playmaking. Everyone in the new starting lineup compliments Joel so well. This 10 man rotation is an improvement over last season. Embiid/Harris/Levert/Brogdon/Sexton Curry/Green/Thybulle/Furkan/Drummond

Cavs cash out on a guy they dont seem to want to keep. 2 1sts and a great guard prospect

Indiana goes for upside as they see themselves outside of contention. Sabonis and Simmons with Warren is a good start.

FOLLOW UP

To Indiana
Thad Young
Derrick White

To Golden State
Myles Turner

To San Antonio
Jeremy Lamb
Kevon Looney
James Wiseman
Golden State 1st round pick 2025 (lotto protected)

Pacers get a great guard fit next to Simmons and Sabonis. Thad is always a great vet to have

Warriors get a massive upgrade at the 5

The Spurs lean into the rebuild. They have a glut of guards in Keldon/Murray/Primo and Wiseman can develop in a no pressure situation.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Re: No more simmons thread? IND/PHI/CLE with follow up 

Post#2 » by BullyKing » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:35 pm

The value is just plain awful for Philly. But let's put that aside, both Brogdon and Sexton will need new deals and the luxury tax bill that would create for an annual second round out is just astronomical.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:48 pm

BullyKing wrote:The value is just plain awful for Philly. But let's put that aside, both Brogdon and Sexton will need new deals and the luxury tax bill that would create for an annual second round out is just astronomical.

I'm a Sexton guy. But man is this a lot of value being sent to Cleveland and for some reason almost all of it coming from Philly when the original Brogdon/LeVert/1st for Simmons package is already light.

Cleveland needs less for Sexton and all of that value needs to be coming from Indiana. Just to fix the immediate value. Then Sexton needs to agree to a reasonable extension as part of the trade to make the finances work.

And then LeVert needs to get sent elsewhere for a forward with some size/defense.

Lots of changes needed to make this work.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,201

Post#4 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:04 pm

BullyKing wrote:The value is just plain awful for Philly. But let's put that aside, both Brogdon and Sexton will need new deals and the luxury tax bill that would create for an annual second round out is just astronomical.

brogdon has 2 yrs left, so he wont need a new deal (right away)
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#5 » by Boneman2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:05 pm

To Indiana
Thad Young
Derrick White

To Golden State
Myles Turner”

Indy would not consider this
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#6 » by JJ_PR » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:37 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:To Cleveland:
Tyrese Maxey
Jaden Springer
Philly 2025 1st

I'm not in favor of trading Sexton at all, but that's not a bad return tbh. I'd want a young wing instead of Maxey, we already have too many small guards.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#7 » by Topofthekey » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:40 pm

Not sure what Cavaliers is doing in this trade. Doesn't feel like Sexton is a good fit with Embiid
Jay_Sizzle
Senior
And1: 526

Post#8 » by Jay_Sizzle » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 pm

I think Philly should keep Maxey or their first rounder. As is, CLE is getting a bit too much for Sexton.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,477

Post#9 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:35 pm

JJ_PR wrote:
Tyrese Maxey
Jaden Springer
Philly 2025 1st

I'm not in favor of trading Sexton at all, but that's not a bad return tbh. I'd want a young wing instead of Maxey, we already have too many small guards.

Not a bad return… or an excessive one ?
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,605

Post#10 » by toooskies » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:46 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
JJ_PR wrote:
Tyrese Maxey
Jaden Springer
Philly 2025 1st

Not a bad return… or an excessive one ?

I mean, Cleveland is getting more than their fair value, but only by a factor of one of those four pieces. Assuming they're all worth roughly a mid-to-late 1st. Let Philly keep Maxey if the salary math works out, or send some inconsequential salary instead.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#11 » by GutUNC » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:37 pm

Sixers don’t have their 2025 1st, nor any interest in this deal.
GDTBATH
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#12 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:45 pm

You don’t think this isn’t win now move ? I mean that’s plan with brogdon and sexton right ?
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#13 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:47 pm

It’s hefty price for 76ers who are trying to win now . Giving up a maxey and shake who are two players who aren’t ready to win now is fine …
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#14 » by GutUNC » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:59 am

Ballerhogger wrote:

You don’t think this isn’t win now move ? I mean that’s plan with brogdon and sexton right ?

It's a "win right now with a roster that's good enough and face financial ruin and limited youth if you don't right away" move.
GDTBATH
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:46 pm

I'd be fine if Phili kept Maxi. I'd prefer Shake actually. I just don't know if the Cavs are going to trade a guy who averaged 24ppg and get little or nothing back in terms of win-now help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,477

Post#16 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:08 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I'd be fine if Phili kept Maxi. I'd prefer Shake actually. I just don't know if the Cavs are going to trade a guy who averaged 24ppg and get little or nothing back in terms of win-now help.

Shake's contract is kinda meh.

It is either 2 cheap years and then unrestricted, or you need to decline the cheap 4th year to get him to be restric ted at the same time the much better Sexton would be anyway.

Add in that Shake is a full 4 years older than Maxey, and I have Shake worth around 1/3 of what Maxey should be worth.

Which is not to say i don't get an argument for preferring Shake, he has a projectable bench scoring role, while Maxey has been a shooter first that hasn't shot great.

The other part I found interesting is the question, can/will Cleveland take a step back or will they directionally just wait on the youth they have, or maybe even move a little win now. From afar, I like long rebuilds and would personally be going that direction but the Nance trade showed it isn't so clear cut. I'm really curious how Cleveland balances that question as the season progresses.
illuminati666
Analyst
And1: 4,561

Post#17 » by illuminati666 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:29 pm

Overpay for Sexton. I'd just remove Cleveland from this bc the sixers need to get back a starting 3 who can guard the Kevin Durants and LeBrons etc. Instead send those firsts, prospects, and Danny Green to Sacramento for Harrison Barnes.

Now you're rolling with;

Brodgon/Maxey
Levert/Curry
Barnes/Thybulle/Korkmaz
Harris/Niang
Embiid/Drummond
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:14 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'd be fine if Phili kept Maxi. I'd prefer Shake actually. I just don't know if the Cavs are going to trade a guy who averaged 24ppg and get little or nothing back in terms of win-now help.

Shake's contract is kinda meh.

It is either 2 cheap years and then unrestricted, or you need to decline the cheap 4th year to get him to be restric ted at the same time the much better Sexton would be anyway.

Add in that Shake is a full 4 years older than Maxey, and I have Shake worth around 1/3 of what Maxey should be worth.

Which is not to say i don't get an argument for preferring Shake, he has a projectable bench scoring role, while Maxey has been a shooter first that hasn't shot great.

The other part I found interesting is the question, can/will Cleveland take a step back or will they directionally just wait on the youth they have, or maybe even move a little win now. From afar, I like long rebuilds and would personally be going that direction but the Nance trade showed it isn't so clear cut. I'm really curious how Cleveland balances that question as the season progresses.
We're both really curious, and I don't know that they've resolved that issue within the front office.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#19 » by gflem » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

We're both really curious, and I don't know that they've resolved that issue within the front office.

I don't think that issue is going to be resolved until Love is removed from the picture. I just don't see a way that the team will move forward with Love on the roster. To me it is a bigger problem than whether Sexland can actually work, which I truly believe it wont, but I don't see a deal outside of a Simmons deal where Sexton and Love are dealt together. One problem at a time I guess.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:21 am

gflem wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

I don't think that issue is going to be resolved until Love is removed from the picture. I just don't see a way that the team will move forward with Love on the roster. To me it is a bigger problem than whether Sexland can actually work, which I truly believe it wont, but I don't see a deal outside of a Simmons deal where Sexton and Love are dealt together. One problem at a time I guess.
Love is coming off the bench for 10-15 mpg. He's under contract for this season and the next. If the Cavs were certain Sexton was worth the type of money he's looking for, or more importantly, that he could coexist with Garland, he'd already be extended. Love has nothing to do with it.

The organization and the fanbase are reconciled with Love finishing his contract in Cleveland. It's fans of other teams who seem to feel a sense of urgency for the Cavs to move him.

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Trades and Transactions