ImageImageImageImage

Magic/Bally Sports APP: $19.99/month/ League Pass $14.99+

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,632

Re: Bally Sports RSN- Youtube TV-HULU Blackout- Update: Bally Sports headed for Bankruptcy! 

Post#61 » by thelead » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:26 pm

magicorlando12 wrote:so in other words if you pay for the league pass on YouTube TV in monthly installments you can still see the games, right?

Not if you’re in Orlando
YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Re: Bally Sports RSN- Youtube TV-HULU Blackout- Update: Bally Sports headed for Bankruptcy! 

Post#62 » by YosemiteSam » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:27 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:I’m not paying anyone to watch this team, at least not this season. I’ll figure out a way to find a stream, and if I don’t. Highlights it is.

My son/family loves the games, so we are attending 5-6 this year. So when you all root for losses, just remember us suckers paying thousands to watch them in person. I just hope we don't get "load management" from the opponents because at least I can see the stars on other teams
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#63 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:25 am

YosemiteSam wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:I’m not paying anyone to watch this team, at least not this season. I’ll figure out a way to find a stream, and if I don’t. Highlights it is.

My son/family loves the games, so we are attending 5-6 this year. So when you all root for losses, just remember us suckers paying thousands to watch them in person. I just hope we don't get "load management" from the opponents because at least I can see the stars on other teams

I live in Tennessee so I can’t go to home games but I’ll probably attend games when they come play Atlanta or Memphis. I’m not rooting for loses, that’s just how it’s gonna be.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#64 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:48 pm

It's mind numbingly frustrating that I'm willing to buy league pass but wouldn't be able to watch the Magic since i'm in Orlando. I'd have to use a VPN on my phone and then cast to my TV, or use my computer. At that point I might as well just find a stream online and use that, which is what I did last year and what i'll do this year as well.

Ironically one of the primary reasons i just youtubeTV a few years ago over other streaming platforms was that they had the Magic games. Now I barely use it, lol.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#65 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:12 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:It's mind numbingly frustrating that I'm willing to buy league pass but wouldn't be able to watch the Magic since i'm in Orlando. I'd have to use a VPN on my phone and then cast to my TV, or use my computer. At that point I might as well just find a stream online and use that, which is what I did last year and what i'll do this year as well.

Ironically one of the primary reasons i just youtubeTV a few years ago over other streaming platforms was that they had the Magic games. Now I barely use it, lol.

Same thing for me. I tried the VPN route but it was cumbersome so I use streams which is more convenient but not a long term solution.
aka: prorl
BDill012
Senior
And1: 273

Post#66 » by BDill012 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:16 pm

I am glad I do not live in Orlando, lol. I have league pass and can watch from the Carolinas. I can't keep tabs on the Hornets, but I can watch definitely watch the Magic.
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 406

Post#67 » by MagicTownBaller » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:33 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
YosemiteSam wrote:

I live in Tennessee so I can’t go to home games but I’ll probably attend games when they come play Atlanta or Memphis. I’m not rooting for loses, that’s just how it’s gonna be.

Same for me, I live in Tennessee as well lol so I can just watch on League Pass and use a VPN for the games against Memphis or Atlanta.

What part do you live in?
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,739

Post#68 » by ChosenSavior » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:39 pm

I will tell you all that I do have a connection for both NBA League Pass and the International League Pass as well at a very reasonable price. Want to make sure my Magic family on here is good for the season if you all want to go that route. If you are interested, then just get at me via PM.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#69 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:11 am

Latest update:

Sinclair Broadcast Group‘s regional sports network unit Diamond Sports Group has signed a new deal with the National Basketball Association that gives its Bally Sports networks permission to offer streaming content including live games on an authenticated and direct-to-consumer basis.

The deal covers 16 NBA teams in their local territories.

Diamond Sports also said it made deals to raise $600 million in new capital from existing borrowers. The new funds are expected to be used to help build the DTC platform.

Sinclair has been looking to launch a direct-to-consumer service this year to bolster its RSN business, which has been under strain from cord-cutting and heavy debt.

Questions have surrounded Sinclair’s plan since Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred suggested that Sinclair did not have sufficient rights to mount a DTC service.

Sinclair stock rose 2% Thursday morning after the NBA deal was announced.

Sinclair in December announced a renewal of its deal with the National Hockey League, that included direct-to-consumer streaming for 12 teams. 

“We are excited about our continued partnership with the NBA which allows us to bring the league’s in-demand and exciting basketball content to local fans across multiple platforms,” said Chris Ripley, Sinclair’s president and CEO. “Sinclair places the highest importance on connecting sports fans with live games and other sports content. We are looking forward to the launch of our DTC platform in 2022, ushering in a new era of local sports viewing with a more personalized and dynamic viewing experience.”

Also: Sinclair’s Bally Sports RSNs Set To Launch ‘The Rally’ on Jan. 24

Teams included in the agreement are the Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Hornets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies, Miami Heat, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Pelicans, Oklahoma City Thunder, Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns and San Antonio Spurs.

https://www-nexttv-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nexttv.com/amp/news/sinclair-gets-deal-with-nba-including-rights-for-dtc-service?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16421184686821&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexttv.com%2Fnews%2Fsinclair-gets-deal-with-nba-including-rights-for-dtc-service

With the MLB lockout ongoing, and talks of the league wanting a stake in the Bally Sports streaming app, cord cutters will have to wait and see if the RSNs can hit a triple by securing its third league before its expected launch in the first half of 2022 at its rumored price point of $23/mo.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/report-sinclair-set-to-secure-nba-streaming-rights-receives-600m-for-streaming-app/

So in short, Sinclair secured a deal for digital local streaming rights for the Magic (and 15 other teams). They are expecting a 2022 app release (keep in mind at this time last year they were saying early 2021...). Also the rumored price point is $23....which I can't see myself playing $23 to watch the Magic in the Orlando area....why doesn't the NBA just stream it themselves at this point?? NBA really shooting themselves in the foot long term by making it a hassle for local fans to watch the local team.

Btw Bally's Sports got a $600M loan life line to keep it afloat....also it came out that Sinclair was charging Diamond aka Bally's Sports a $75 Mill "management fee" aka forcing a company they bought thru a leverage buoyout to give that company a fee that will surely go to the Sinclair execs because they can, more private equity BS (how is this allowed?).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM Forums mobile app
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 406

Re: Bally Sports RSN- Youtube TV-HULU Blackout- Update: Bally Sports gets Magic rights 

Post#71 » by MagicTownBaller » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:36 am

I wonder can I buy Balley Sports for $23 a month for Orlando if I'm in Tennessee lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Re: Bally Sports RSN- Youtube TV-HULU Blackout- Update: Bally Sports gets Magic rights 

Post#72 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:03 am

MagicTownBaller wrote:I wonder can I buy Balley Sports for $23 a month for Orlando if I'm in Tennessee lol

I doubt it, that's why League Pass is available. Unless you do VPN.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM Forums mobile app
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#73 » by FFBlitzace » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:25 am

That's more expensive than pretty much all the major streaming platforms, which is silly. But if that's the price, I'll pay it, because they have me by the balls.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
thelead
RealGM

Post#74 » by thelead » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 am

MagicTownBaller wrote:I wonder can I buy Balley Sports for $23 a month for Orlando if I'm in Tennessee lol

Why would you want to? NBA league pass has a 1 team option for something like $99 for the year. The only thing keeping me from doing that are the local blackout rules here in Orlando.
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#75 » by Tarheel » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:00 pm

We have similar issues in the UK with the EPL. Any 3pm Saturday kickoff is not allowed to be broadcast on TV (to encourage fans to attend games in person) and the coverage is split over Sky Sports, BT Sport and Amazon Prime. For context, most EPL clubs sell out their stadium every single week and tickets are a nightmare to get hold of, so the aim of the policy is practically irrelevant anyway.

All this can mean that if your team has an away game that is 3pm on a Saturday, you could be paying for 3 separate subscriptions and a season ticket for your club and still not be able to watch the game. It's madness.

Luckily it's the 21st century and streams are easily accessible, but I have no idea why they don't just scrap it and capitalise on the additional TV money instead of alienating people.
thelead
RealGM

Post#76 » by thelead » Thu May 5, 2022 2:09 am

Sounds like Bally is indeed getting ready to launch their 18.99 per month service. That’s going to be DOA just like CNN+

Read on Twitter
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#77 » by richi_v25 » Thu May 5, 2022 5:14 am

I've been illegally watching the Magic via streaming for over a decade now since I travel for work but I actually wanted to be nice and pay for the NBA package a few years ago and I couldn't since I have a central Florida area code even though I was somewhere in Texas? I was like oh well I guess I'll just buy some merch in support then and keep doing as I do. I agree those blackout rules for the locals is stupid.
thelead
RealGM

Post#78 » by thelead » Thu May 5, 2022 7:05 am

richi_v25 wrote:I've been illegally watching the Magic via streaming for over a decade now since I travel for work but I actually wanted to be nice and pay for the NBA package a few years ago and I couldn't since I have a central Florida area code even though I was somewhere in Texas? I was like oh well I guess I'll just buy some merch in support then and keep doing as I do. I agree those blackout rules for the locals is stupid.

Yeah, it sounds like it's time for me to find alternative methods of watching basketball.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#79 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu May 5, 2022 1:27 pm

thelead wrote:
richi_v25 wrote:I've been illegally watching the Magic via streaming for over a decade now since I travel for work but I actually wanted to be nice and pay for the NBA package a few years ago and I couldn't since I have a central Florida area code even though I was somewhere in Texas? I was like oh well I guess I'll just buy some merch in support then and keep doing as I do. I agree those blackout rules for the locals is stupid.

Yeah, it sounds like it's time for me to find alternative methods of watching basketball.

stream east is a good magic site i like to visit for information on how the team is doing, also sports surge has some unique next level stats as well :wink:
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#80 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu May 5, 2022 1:48 pm

thelead wrote:Sounds like Bally is indeed getting ready to launch their 18.99 per month service. That’s going to be DOA just like CNN+

Read on Twitter

Preseason and regular season are 7 months long right, so that's $133 to watch the Magic locally on TV even though the arena is 13 miles from here...that's ridiculous....I have no doubt this Bally/Sinclair thing is going to fail massively and they will go into bankruptcy (they've delayed this app for 2 years now and took on massive debt to buy from Disney- at least $8B and the revenues aren't there to justify that) and who knows what happens after that, do the leagues buy it, IDK. Either way, the leagues are shooting themselves in the foot by putting obstacles for local fanbases to watch their teams, there are simply too many entertainment options that can easily replace them.

Return to Orlando Magic