ImageImageImage

Potential free agent targets

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

aad
Starter
And1: 463

Potential free agent targets 

Post#1 » by aad » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:49 am

I know we will have over 20 mill in cap space just wanted to know who is possibly some free agent targets next offseason or even some trade targets
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Re: Potential free agent targets 

Post#2 » by mattao313 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:09 am

Mo Bamba is a guy I'd be interested in

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#3 » by FloridaMan78 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:10 am

Nearly everyone signed extensions. I think the uncertainty with Covid has changed a lot of things and seeing guys lose money did too.

Zack Lavine is unrestricted, but pretty doubtful he leaves and would come here. Besides him I don't see anything.
Ayton is restricted but I'm sure PHX will match.
Players that might not be matched:
Sexton, Bol Bol, Anfernee Simmons, Donte DiVencenzo, Marvin Bagley

Not much out there. I like DiVencenzo. Good defender that can spot up and shoot. Bol Bol is interesting. I guess it depends on who we draft and who we keep moving forward.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by FloridaMan78 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:11 am

mattao313 wrote:Mo Bamba is a guy I'd be interested in

I don't see why Orlando wouldn't match. They have nothing on the books. Unless they just want to move on from him.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#5 » by mattao313 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:21 am

FloridaMan78 wrote:

I don't see why Orlando wouldn't match. They have nothing on the books. Unless they just want to move on from him.
They extended Wendell Carter jr it maybe a chance they'd let him go

Championships
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by FloridaMan78 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:30 am

mattao313 wrote:
FloridaMan78 wrote:

They extended Wendell Carter jr it maybe a chance they'd let him go

Yea that's true. They'll still have 40 mil left in cap space though with no one to spend it on.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#7 » by vege » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:46 am

The only guy I like is Mo Bamba
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#8 » by Pharaoh » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:00 am

FloridaMan78 wrote:Nearly everyone signed extensions. I think the uncertainty with Covid has changed a lot of things and seeing guys lose money did too.

Zack Lavine is unrestricted, but pretty doubtful he leaves and would come here. Besides him I don't see anything.

Not much out there. I like DiVencenzo. Good defender that can spot up and shoot. Bol Bol is interesting. I guess it depends on who we draft and who we keep moving forward.

Of that group I imagine Portland view Simons as a salary slot they can't just let walk for nothing. Doubt Dame has been impressed with the past off-season so next one will be interesting for them.

Bucks the same with DDV.

Bol Bol, Bagley and Bamba I view as realistic targets - kind of another Josh Jackson situation where a flyer is worth it just I'm case.

Agree Ayton gets matched even at the Max another team can offer - which is lower than the Max the Suns could offer. Blows my mind they've treated him like this as it could come back to haunt them when he eventually hits unrestricted free agency.

Same thing happened to Gordon Hayward in Utah...it's part of the reason he went to Boston. You don't treat your "star" players or prospects that way

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#9 » by dVs33 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:39 am

I don’t hate the idea of going for sexton if the price is right.
Could be a good fit next to Cade
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#10 » by 440BB » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:42 pm

It is surprising how many extensions have been signed this year versus players choosing free agency. Whether the losses from the pandemic or expectation the the cap won't increase are the motivation, I wonder if this will become common going forward.

Much slimmer pickings for the next off season. Hopefully there will be more talent available for the 23-24 season, when the Pistons should be moving toward contention.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by FloridaMan78 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:48 pm

440BB wrote:It is surprising how many extensions have been signed this year versus players choosing free agency. Whether the losses from the pandemic or expectation the the cap won't increase are the motivation, I wonder if this will become common going forward.

Much slimmer pickings for the next off season. Hopefully there will be more talent available for the 23-24 season, when the Pistons should be moving toward contention.

Dennis Schroeder rejecting 84 mil and getting 5 mil instead probably shook a lot of players.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by FloridaMan78 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:50 pm

dVs33 wrote:I don’t hate the idea of going for sexton if the price is right.

It would make sense. They would definitely be better, his scoring ability is undeniable and would fit. I don’t know why I hate it lol.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by FloridaMan78 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:55 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
FloridaMan78 wrote:Nearly everyone signed extensions. I think the uncertainty with Covid has changed a lot of things and seeing guys lose money did too.

Of that group I imagine Portland view Simons as a salary slot they can't just let walk for nothing. Doubt Dame has been impressed with the past off-season so next one will be interesting for them.

Bucks the same with DDV.

Bol Bol, Bagley and Bamba I view as realistic targets - kind of another Josh Jackson situation where a flyer is worth it just I'm case.

Agree Ayton gets matched even at the Max another team can offer - which is lower than the Max the Suns could offer. Blows my mind they've treated him like this as it could come back to haunt them when he eventually hits unrestricted free agency.

Same thing happened to Gordon Hayward in Utah...it's part of the reason he went to Boston. You don't treat your "star" players or prospects that way

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app

A flyer on Bol, Bagley, Mo Bamba make the most sense and are realistic.

DiVenczo is possible if he doesn’t take a loss like Portis did. Bucks are way into the luxury tax with repeater costs. He could make near 80 mil vs 10 mil the Bucks would offer. They also have Grayson Allen and Connaughton.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#14 » by DBC10 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:29 pm

FloridaMan78 wrote:
440BB wrote:It is surprising how many extensions have been signed this year versus players choosing free agency. Whether the losses from the pandemic or expectation the the cap won't increase are the motivation, I wonder if this will become common going forward.

Dennis Schroeder rejecting 84 mil and getting 5 mil instead probably shook a lot of players.

I think it's confirmed that the 80 million rejection by Schroeder was not true and he was never offered that. Regardless, it probably played its part along with the pandemic to get guys comfortable taking the deals upfront sooner rather than prolonging it

Good for them. It's still life changing money either way

But on topic, I really like Zach and the potential pairing with Cade. But I think he likes Chicago, and if they make a deep playoff run, he's a lock to stay IMO
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#15 » by Manocad » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:25 pm

This is actually a tough question for me in the sense that targeted free agents IMO should be the result of the outcome of this season. With $20 million in cap space does that mean the team should go after a $20 million player? That's the thinking that I'm sure pops into a lot of people's heads and they start creating an argument about why said $20 million player will be a good fit, will make the team better, etc. vs that guy being THE PLAYER the Pistons REALLY need. Pushing all that aside, maybe the team comes out of this season not needing a $20 million player but two $10 million players. Or a $15 million and a $5 million. Or they have to consider making sure some cap space is available for Stew, Bey and whomever and thus don't want to lock down a $20 million guy into something long term.

So short answer I'd say incomplete. More data required.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#16 » by Kilo » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Detroit plans to sin eat bad contracts given the Doumbouya return. You need those bad seconds to include in outgoing trades. DAJ trade killed the idea of spending big this off-season, and then come next off-season Grant will be up for an extension and if kept will probably be 30M a year type contract.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#17 » by DTP » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:12 pm

Throw max at LaVine and Ayton and if we don't get them (which we won't), trade for 1 year deals or sign 1 year deals and reload for the next summer.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#18 » by vege » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:42 pm

FloridaMan78 wrote:

It would make sense. They would definitely be better, his scoring ability is undeniable and would fit. I don’t know why I hate it lol.

You hate it because he is ball dominant, plays no defense and will be expensive. He would be amazing off the bench for any team, but not for the price he will command.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#19 » by mattao313 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:57 pm

vege wrote:
FloridaMan78 wrote:

You hate it because he is ball dominant, plays no defense and will be expensive. He would be amazing off the bench for any team, but not for the price he will command.
Until we see what we have in Cade and hopefully our top prospect in this draft i have little interest in expensive free agents. To be frank we don't have much high end young talent.

Probably best to continuing scouring the scrap heap looking for late bloomers and hidden gems.

Championships
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#20 » by thesack12 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:12 pm

mattao313 wrote:
vege wrote:
FloridaMan78 wrote:

Until we see what we have in Cade and hopefully our top prospect in this draft i have little interest in expensive free agents. To be frank we don't have much high end young talent.

Probably best to continuing scouring the scrap heap looking for late bloomers and hidden gems.

Yeah this is pretty much where I'm at.

If we're being honest with ourselves, while both Bey and Stewart are nice solid players that still have yet to hit their ceiling, neither one is likely to be a true difference maker. Of course, I'd love to be wrong on that. Hayes has a ways to go before you can even consider him solid.

Bagley is a guy I'd be targeting, still very young. Has been left for dead by his current team, so probably won't cost much and Detroit is thin on bigs. Really, I'd be looking to try to pick him up on the cheap right now via trade to see how he fit in with the current core. If he did fit in, you look to resign him in the summer. If he doesn't fit in, you move on.

Return to Detroit Pistons