ImageImageImage

Potential free agent targets

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,525

Re: Potential free agent targets 

Post#21 » by zeebneeb » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:17 pm

Manocad wrote:This is actually a tough question for me in the sense that targeted free agents IMO should be the result of the outcome of this season. With $20 million in cap space does that mean the team should go after a $20 million player? That's the thinking that I'm sure pops into a lot of people's heads and they start creating an argument about why said $20 million player will be a good fit, will make the team better, etc. vs that guy being THE PLAYER the Pistons REALLY need. Pushing all that aside, maybe the team comes out of this season not needing a $20 million player but two $10 million players. Or a $15 million and a $5 million. Or they have to consider making sure some cap space is available for Stew, Bey and whomever and thus don't want to lock down a $20 million guy into something long term.

So short answer I'd say incomplete. More data required.
Yup. The only players I can confidently say could be core members of a title team are Bey, and Grant. Olynyk could be that that bigman off the bench, and Stewart could be the starting center, but a hell of a lot more data is required. Incomplete on both Jacksons, Diallo, Lee, and especially Hayes. I would feel more comfortable have cojo on a contending team, then any of the guys listed above, just based on ability to actually run a team, and experience which should speak volumes.

The Pistons are so early in building just the base of a team, adding expensive pieces seems way to premature, unless they are guaranteed homeruns.

I have zero interest in making any moves until I can see an actual starting unit play, at absolute bare minimum, 20 games together.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,485

Post#22 » by whitehops » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:22 pm

the only player i'd want to sign long-term is zach lavine, but his max contract would be ~$41-42 million in the first year, which means we'd have to cut a lot of salary.

we have ~$72 million on the books if we let JJ and mcgruder go and decline diallo, frank jackson and lyles' team options. if cory joseph picks up his player option we have ~$77 million on the books.

the projected cap is $119 million, which means we'd have just about enough space to offer a max deal. pretty sure the bulls can't offer more money per year. but they can offer a fifth season and obviously have a five year history with lavine.

one can dream, right?

EDIT: forgot to add the salary of a top 5 pick! so we'd have to trade olynyk to make it happen regardless of cory joseph picking up his option.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#23 » by FloridaMan78 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:27 pm

whitehops wrote:the only player i'd want to sign long-term is zach lavine, but his max contract would be ~$41-42 million in the first year, which means we'd have to cut a lot of salary.

we have ~$72 million on the books if we let JJ and mcgruder go and decline diallo, frank jackson and lyles' team options. if cory joseph picks up his player option we have ~$77 million on the books.

the projected cap is $119 million, which means we'd have just about enough space to offer a max deal. pretty sure the bulls can't offer more money per year. but they can offer a fifth season and obviously have a five year history with lavine.

one can dream, right?

Yea I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Weaver setup the contracts that way just in case Lavine does decide to leave. He may be dreaming too.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,485

Post#24 » by whitehops » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:56 pm

FloridaMan78 wrote:Yea I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Weaver setup the contracts that way just in case Lavine does decide to leave. He may be dreaming too.

and i know a lot of us (myself included) thought he was writing off next offseason FA wise once he traded for and cut deandre jordan but i think lavine is the one exception to that.

the FA class in 2023 has a lot of big names for when we'll have a ton of cap space but they're all aged veterans: lebron, harden (if he picks up his player option for next year), irving, etc. jokic and beal are the only star players that won't be over 30 during that free agency and there's no guarantee they don't get extensions this coming offseason. and also to get them we'd very likely have to let grant go because of his cap hold. RFAs include zion, ja morant and rj barrett but they could get extensions or end up in restricted free agency and their teams could match whatever we offer.

whereas we could try to sign a 27 year old zach lavine which would 100% kick-start the restoration AND give us the ability to re-sign grant the following offseason with his bird rights. so we'd have cade-lavine-bey-grant-stewart + a top 5 pick this draft to grow from.

i fully expect lavine to re-sign with the bulls unless something goes terribly wrong for them this season but it is not very often a player of lavine's calibre is available as an unrestricted free agent smack dab in his prime (when you happen to have cap space). you have to at least try.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#25 » by El Chivo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:18 am

What about Miles Bridges?
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by FloridaMan78 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:55 am

El Chivo wrote:What about Miles Bridges?

Hornets have the space to match, whether they do or not who knows, but I would think they would.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#27 » by bstein14 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:15 pm

El Chivo wrote:What about Miles Bridges?

I think he makes a lot of sense if you think he can play and fit well in a 1-2-3 rotation with Bey and Cade. If not, its a move that likely pushes Bey to the bench which I don't love, but that might be a move we have to make at some point anyways. Hopefully Bey takes that big step forward this year and next so moving him to the bench isn't even an option. Bridges seems a bit bigger than Bey so he likely guards more 3s and Bey would have defend more 2s. I think overall we might struggle a bit defensively against smaller quicker SGs that come off a ton of screens.

If we end up with $22 million in cap space and we get lucky and land a top 4 pick in the 2022 draft, its going to be hard to figure out who moves to the bench.... We'd almost have to look at doing a trade to consolidate talent a bit. Would be tough for us to draft a guy at #3 and keep him coming off the bench for too long, as long as we hit the right guy at #3.

C: Stewart / KO
PF: Grant / #3 Pick
SF: Miles / Jackson
SG: Bey / Jackson (or Diallo)
PG: Cade / Hayes(or Lee)
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#28 » by MotownMadness » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:50 pm

We need one more top draft pick and then just go fill out the roster with legit good role players that will sign here.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#29 » by Manocad » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:24 pm

MotownMadness wrote:We need one more top draft pick and then just go fill out the roster with legit good role players that will sign here.

That's where I'm at with it. And maybe even to the point of targeting big moves before the 2023-24 season. That will be two years of Cade and one year of the next first round draft pick. Unless obviously this teams goes out and wins 35-40 games, maybe gets a #8 seed, and we're thinking "Oh man, if they just added this free agent this team could win 50+ games." At that point then yeah, look to make a splash after this season.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 179

Post#30 » by Rip32 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:23 am

FloridaMan78 wrote:Nearly everyone signed extensions. I think the uncertainty with Covid has changed a lot of things and seeing guys lose money did too.

Zack Lavine is unrestricted, but pretty doubtful he leaves and would come here. Besides him I don't see anything.
Ayton is restricted but I'm sure PHX will match.
Players that might not be matched:
Sexton, Bol Bol, Anfernee Simmons, Donte DiVencenzo, Marvin Bagley

Not much out there. I like DiVencenzo. Good defender that can spot up and shoot. Bol Bol is interesting. I guess it depends on who we draft and who we keep moving forward.

I wouldn't mine Miles Bridges. He's a way better 3 point shooter than Hami and Josh

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by FloridaMan78 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:27 am

Rip32 wrote:
FloridaMan78 wrote:Nearly everyone signed extensions. I think the uncertainty with Covid has changed a lot of things and seeing guys lose money did too.

Zack Lavine is unrestricted, but pretty doubtful he leaves and would come here. Besides him I don't see anything.
Ayton is restricted but I'm sure PHX will match.
Players that might not be matched:
Sexton, Bol Bol, Anfernee Simmons, Donte DiVencenzo, Marvin Bagley

Not much out there. I like DiVencenzo. Good defender that can spot up and shoot. Bol Bol is interesting. I guess it depends on who we draft and who we keep moving forward.

I wouldn't mine Miles Bridges. He's a way better 3 point shooter than Hami and Josh

Yea, I just don't see why the Hornets wouldn't resign him. They have plenty of cap space.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#32 » by bstein14 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:29 pm

Miles is going to play himself into a MAX contract this season. He's currently averaging 25 PPG and 8 RPG for the 3-0 Hornets and shooting the ball incredibly well. Of course those numbers won't sustain for him, but him averaging close to 20 PPG is certainly doable IMO. He is looking like the 1A or 1B with LaMelo and Hayward is looking like the 3rd option on that team and if that continues throughout the course of the season I think Charlotte might max him. Of course they have been hesitant in the past to hand out big deals (Kemba) but this time around it might be different if they are a playoff team.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#33 » by DBC10 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:42 pm

bstein14 wrote:Miles is going to play himself into a MAX contract this season. He's currently averaging 25 PPG and 8 RPG for the 3-0 Hornets and shooting the ball incredibly well. Of course those numbers won't sustain for him, but him averaging close to 20 PPG is certainly doable IMO. He is looking like the 1A or 1B with LaMelo and Hayward is looking like the 3rd option on that team and if that continues throughout the course of the season I think Charlotte might max him. Of course they have been hesitant in the past to hand out big deals (Kemba) but this time around it might be different if they are a playoff team.

Which is crazy compared to last season when he was the odd man out after them drafting Ball and I believe he came off the bench for them. Obviously he's played out of that funk since then but there was a moment where it almost seemed like he might have needed a change of scenery
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,358

Post#34 » by Spider156 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:43 pm

This is what we need to do just based on the few games I've seen so far.

Draft best available perimeter player, we need a guard or long wing player period. It's Cade or bust at point guard end of story. Bey has cemented his starting role for the next two years and all of our guards have been abysmal. Nobody is safe. The truth is yes Killian needs to come off the bench but who deserves it more than him? It's not like Saben Lee has All star potential. So we need a shooting guard from the draft no question. My top are Houstan Hardy Chet and Paolo.

Sign the best player you can find much like Jerami Grant. If you can overpay a player next offseason we should make it happen simply because we have the cap space and we're desperate to surround Cade and Grant with talent because we need to resign Grant. I think it's very telling how hard it is to get talent. I think Grant is looking at 25-30m a year extension. I also think because Cade is on a cheap rookie contract we need to take advantage of that 3 year window because if he's that good he's gonna get a minimum 30m a year so giving out 20m a year contract should be very easy for us to do next summer. That's money we'd be otherwise paying Blake.

Then it's all about how creative you can be with trades. Can you find that Marcus Morris and Reggie Bullock trade SVG got? That tobias Harris for ilyasova and butler? Can you sign that DJ augustine. Even Reggie Jackson is amazing at point guard now. So in reality we have Josh Jackson, Diallo, Frank, and Lyles to be on the block for veteran teams to take. I don't think anyone wants Diallo personally.
Defense wins championships
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#35 » by mattao313 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:11 am

Isaiah Hartenstein is a guy that I kinda like for some reason

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
pistons4ever
Junior
And1: 107

Post#36 » by pistons4ever » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:29 am

Only hypothetical..

You package grant , jackson or diallo and joseph plus future 2nd round pick
For Ben simmons or kyrie irving.....

What deal would you prefer
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#37 » by Manocad » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:26 am

pistons4ever wrote:Only hypothetical..

The real, which is that the Pistons don't have Ben Simmons or Kyrie Irving.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#38 » by MotownMadness » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:58 am

pistons4ever wrote:Only hypothetical..

Simmons Cause hes locked into a multi year deal, younger and Kyrie won't play for us probably.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#39 » by A_dub06 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:01 pm

mattao313 wrote:Isaiah Hartenstein is a guy that I kinda like for some reason

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app

I see your Hartenstein and raise you my irrational hard on for Goga Bitadze. I’ve actually been a fan of Hartenstein for a while and think he would make a great backup big off the bench, but I think Goga has a higher ceiling and is better all round. Plus that moustache is something every fan could get round
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#40 » by vege » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:36 pm

Spider156 wrote:This is what we need to do just based on the few games I've seen so far.

Draft best available perimeter player, we need a guard or long wing player period. It's Cade or bust at point guard end of story. Bey has cemented his starting role for the next two years and all of our guards have been abysmal. Nobody is safe. The truth is yes Killian needs to come off the bench but who deserves it more than him? It's not like Saben Lee has All star potential. So we need a shooting guard from the draft no question. My top are Houstan Hardy Chet and Paolo.

Sign the best player you can find much like Jerami Grant. If you can overpay a player next offseason we should make it happen simply because we have the cap space and we're desperate to surround Cade and Grant with talent because we need to resign Grant. I think it's very telling how hard it is to get talent. I think Grant is looking at 25-30m a year extension. I also think because Cade is on a cheap rookie contract we need to take advantage of that 3 year window because if he's that good he's gonna get a minimum 30m a year so giving out 20m a year contract should be very easy for us to do next summer. That's money we'd be otherwise paying Blake.

Then it's all about how creative you can be with trades. Can you find that Marcus Morris and Reggie Bullock trade SVG got? That tobias Harris for ilyasova and butler? Can you sign that DJ augustine. Even Reggie Jackson is amazing at point guard now. So in reality we have Josh Jackson, Diallo, Frank, and Lyles to be on the block for veteran teams to take. I don't think anyone wants Diallo personally.

I see things a little bit different than you, but your post is interesting. The way I see we have Grant/Bey/Lyles at the 3/4. I really like what I've seen from Lyles so far and I hope we resign him to a 3 year deal asap.

I still believe in Saben Lee/Frank Jackson to be our backup guards, they still need to develop but I think they play well together and they'll be solid off the bench.

And I see Isaiah Stewart as a good backup C, I don't see him as a starter.

So our roster for the future imo is

Starting C / Stewart
Grant / Lyles
Bey / Grant / Cade
Cade / F. Jackson
PG/Saben Lee

So I think we need a starting Center and a starting PG. Olynyk is too old and we need someone better than him. He is a decent backup 4/5 imo but I don't see him being part of our long term future. CoJo/Hayes/Diallo/J.Jackson etc are just terrible.

If we could draft a star guard (a guy like Ja or Trae) and sign a guy like Mo Bamba, we could be in a good position.

Return to Detroit Pistons