Around the NBA 11

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,081

Re: Around the NBA 11 

Post#901 » by JDR720 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:33 pm

Kai is one of those "if he learns how to play basketball, he'll be really good at basketball" players.

It could work, but I'd be pretty surprised if he ever averages more than 10-12ppg. I like Thor's chances of becoming a decent 3&D player more than Kai's chances of ever becoming a starter.

Sengun meanwhile has significantly more skill, his questions were in relation to playing in Turkey, which isn't a great league, and if he could play defense. He looks really good so far, closer to Sabonis than Kanter.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,168

Post#902 » by SWedd523 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:29 am

Why are we talking about Sengun vs Kai?

Sengun was drafted 4 slots before Kai, so it wasn't like they made a "mistake" by taking Kai.

You're better off arguing if Bouknight projects to be more impactful long term and/or was a better prospect on draft night than Sengun
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,822

Post#903 » by Diop » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:04 am

predators wrote:
fatlever wrote:But maybe in 6 years Kai Jones will learn how to play basketball....

How we passed on sengun when we needed him so bad, and he was ready day 1 and proven in good pro league. We even saw him in person. But like always got distracted by the falling shiney knife. I bet mitch would have even still picked Kai over sengun if both were on board for our 2nd pick. Because mj saw Kai and thought he could be next giannis.

Bouk and Kai better pan out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

I generally agree. Worth mentioning, Sengun dropped because GM's are scared he's not playable in the Playoffs not because they doubted he would be productive out of the gate. Kanter is kind of a lazy comparison, but Kanter is bigger/a walking double/double when he gets minutes, but isn't playable at times in the playoffs.

I also don't think the odds of Kai working out are very high. I don't know if his "generally looking lost out there" is the kind that's fixable. So I'd prefer Sengun.

I honestly think some lazy scouting must happen, as when I first started watching clips of him in turkey you can tell he wasn’t terrible defensively. He would use his smarts and quick hands to break up plays and make it difficult for them to score.
I think they do just see white Turk big who can score, just another kanter, not interested.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#904 » by fatlever » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:17 am

SWedd523 wrote:Why are we talking about Sengun vs Kai?

Sengun was drafted 4 slots before Kai, so it wasn't like they made a "mistake" by taking Kai.

You're better off arguing if Bouknight projects to be more impactful long term and/or was a better prospect on draft night than Sengun

it was rumored we liked kai enough to take him at 11, but when bouk fell we pivoted, then went back in for kai later

1) if bouk was gone would hornets have taken kai at 11? seems likely
2) if sengun was still avail at 18 would we have still taken kai? seems likely

i think hornets viewed kai as better fit with melo. just my gut.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#905 » by fatlever » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:21 am

kai will go down as mitch's ajinca moment.
"he only heard the word "basketball" three years ago. he was too busy riding BMX bikes. just imagine how good he'll be once he learns the rules"
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#906 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:29 am

fatlever wrote:kai will go down as mitch's ajinca moment.
"he only heard the word "basketball" three years ago. he was too busy riding BMX bikes. just imagine how good he'll be once he learns the rules"

Imagine how good this basketballer will be when he learns to play basketball! People pointing out he only picked up basketball 3 years ago as if it is some kind of positive. :crazy:
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#907 » by SWedd523 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:12 pm

fatlever wrote:

it was rumored we liked kai enough to take him at 11, but when bouk fell we pivoted, then went back in for kai later

Applying not one, but TWO hypothetical scenarios to fit an anti-player narrative.

I'm going to have to bow out if that's the path we're trying to take
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,822

Post#908 » by Diop » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:50 am

SWedd523 wrote:
fatlever wrote:

Applying not one, but TWO hypothetical scenarios to fit an anti-player narrative.

I'm going to have to bow out if that's the path we're trying to take

I talk about Sengun coz he gives me a boner.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#909 » by fatlever » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:46 am

penis
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,521

Post#910 » by Bassman » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:05 am

Sengun was my pick, who I wanted badly. Then BOUK fell and I was all over him, because we’ve needed a legit scoring, GOOD shooting guard with size for so long.

I still wanted Mitch to somehow get Sengun. Now I wish he had just made that pick and gone after another guard versus Kai. Sengun is really good, has the ability to be transformational at the 5 in the same way Melo handles the point. I do think he’d be a better 4, but would fit here beautifully. I’d trade PJ and a first rounder unprotected for him right now.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#911 » by Roll Tide 09 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:29 pm

Well, we drafted our future bulk scorer and a player who can protect the rim. They both need time to develop…especially Jones. If they don’t workout, they don’t workout. But they’re exactly what we needed without risking a couple of bad contracts and/or trades.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

SWedd523
RealGM

Post#912 » by SWedd523 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:53 pm

Mods: Since the team has seen so much recent roster turnover, is there value in having a one stop shop for updates on the old guys, for the same of consolidation?

"Where are they now?" Graham, Monk, Zeller, even ones like Kemba, Dwight
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Around the NBA 11 

Post#913 » by BigSlam » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:59 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Mods: Since the team has seen so much recent roster turnover, is there value in having a one stop shop for updates on the old guys, for the same of consolidation?

Personally, a player that leaves the Hornets ceases to matter to me anymore. As in, the moment it is announced they are no longer on our team I move on from them.

They don’t play for us, so I couldn’t care less about what they are or are not doing.
B B M F 'ers
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#914 » by SWedd523 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:36 pm

i agree with you

but we're already seeing the "i told you so" posts popping up in a handful of threads
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#915 » by yosemiteben » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:37 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Mods: Since the team has seen so much recent roster turnover, is there value in having a one stop shop for updates on the old guys, for the same of consolidation?

Yep, good idea, I'm curious to see how guys like Monk and Graham play this year but we don't need player specific threads.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#916 » by BigSlam » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:23 pm

yosemiteben wrote:

Yep, good idea, I'm curious to see how guys like Monk and Graham play this year but we don't need player specific threads.

Those ex-players already have existing threads. If someone wants to post something about a player who has nothing to do with our team any more they can dig through the pages of the board, find the specific ex-players thread and post in there?
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#917 » by yosemiteben » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:43 pm

BigSlam wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

Those ex-players already have existing threads. If someone wants to post something about a player who has nothing to do with our team any more they can dig through the pages of the board, find the specific ex-players thread and post in there?

Or consolidate it? You went from i don't care at all to every former player needs his own thread? Seems excessive to say every former player deserves his own thread to post in. I say we close all the player specific threads for former players.

What's the downside?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#918 » by BigSlam » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:46 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Yep, good idea, I'm curious to see how guys like Monk and Graham play this year but we don't need player specific threads.

Or consolidate it? You went from i don't care at all to every former player needs his own thread? Seems excessive to say every former player deserves his own thread to post in.

What's the downside?

What I was saying is that every former player already has their own thread. Why create new ones?

If people feel compelled to post about a player who’s no longer on our roster, use the thread that has already been created for them previously.
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#919 » by BigSlam » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:49 pm

Or just use this “around the NBA thread”.

It’s purpose is for things around the NBA - and those ex-players are just that. Not Hornets players, just players from around the NBA.
B B M F 'ers
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#920 » by SWedd523 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Mom and Dad are fighting!

all we need is "Uncle" Fats to weigh in

Return to Charlotte Hornets