ImageImageImageImageImage

Dalano Banton Discussion / Appreciation

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,411

Dalano Banton Discussion / Appreciation 

Post#1 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:11 pm

He’s been a huge surprise and a spark. Thought with barnes tread, we make one for Banton as well.

Nurse cleary loves him

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Re: Delano Banton Discussion 

Post#2 » by Indeed » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:14 pm

Outside of his lack of shooting, I think he is better than Dragic, which is why I think he should stay with the main team instead of 905.

It is just Dragic needs to gain his value, otherwise, I would have Banton as the backup PG for 10mins a game.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Re: Dalano Banton Discussion 

Post#3 » by Reeko » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:14 pm

Love Dalano, but man reading the tea leaves for Flynn, things do not look promising for the young man.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,756

Post#4 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:16 pm

Reminds me of Shaun Livingston a bit. Some really nice footwork and handle and plays with a purpose to make a play. Haven't seen enough of him to really give much of an assessment though.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,018

Post#5 » by ItsDanger » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:17 pm

Its tempting to play him given the impact he's having but I still think he needs a full G league season to improve his shot. Its not good. Would be better for his career long term. But maybe he can do it with the big squad. Just too many players on the roster which limits his minutes. Guys like this need to play. He did red shirt one college season also.

He's the PG that actually plays the style they hope to achieve. He's up the floor quick head up the whole way.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#6 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:18 pm

The thing I notice the most is that he's around the rim a lot on offense and defense.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,489

Post#7 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:19 pm

Teams are giving him space to shoot yet he's still getting to the rim. He has a quick burst that you don't expect from someone his size. When teams try defending him with bigs, he just blows right past them. Playmaking and handles look good as well.

Things get ugly though when the Raps pass the ball around, it gets to Banton on the swing and he bricks a wide open shot. But that's not really unexpected.

I frankly can't wait for the all 6'8'6'9 lineup and he will be part of it.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#8 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:26 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Teams are giving him space to shoot yet he's still getting to the rim. He has a quick burst that you don't expect from someone his size. When teams try defending him with bigs, he just blows right past them. Playmaking and handles look good as well.

Things get ugly though when the Raps pass the ball around, it gets to Banton on the swing and he bricks a wide open shot. But that's not really unexpected.

To be fair, his eyes lit up when he saw he had DeMar on him. I agree that there's more burst than you'd expect from a big guy, though. SloMo and Shaun Livingston never had that. If he develops a passable jumper he's going to be a long-time Raptor.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,621

Post#9 » by Bruin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:29 pm

Flynn basically has no spot on the team it seems. Won’t be surprised if he’s included in a deal. Maybe in a package with Boucher

Banton looks very promising
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Post#10 » by ash_k » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:30 pm

Indeed wrote:Outside of his lack of shooting, I think he is better than Dragic, which is why I think he should stay with the main team instead of 905.

It is just Dragic needs to gain his value, otherwise, I would have Banton as the backup PG for 10mins a game.

Banton better that the player that leading the Miami Heat in scoring going into the NBA Finals in 2020? That player?
Relax a bit :lol: , Banton has played in total 29 minutes in 4 games! 29 minutes! Precious played 29 minutes last night
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#11 » by Indeed » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:32 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Teams are giving him space to shoot yet he's still getting to the rim. He has a quick burst that you don't expect from someone his size. When teams try defending him with bigs, he just blows right past them. Playmaking and handles look good as well.

To be fair, his eyes lit up when he saw he had DeMar on him. I agree that there's more burst than you'd expect from a big guy, though. SloMo and Shaun Livingston never had that. If he develops a passable jumper he's going to be a long-time Raptor.

I think he has a floater
Indeed
RealGM

Post#12 » by Indeed » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:33 pm

ash_k wrote:
Indeed wrote:Outside of his lack of shooting, I think he is better than Dragic, which is why I think he should stay with the main team instead of 905.

Banton better that the player that leading the Miami Heat in scoring going into the NBA Finals in 2020? That player?
Relax a bit :lol: , Banton has played in total 29 minutes in 4 games! 29 minutes! Precious played 29 minutes last night

Achiuwa is a 2nd year player with some big improvements, and also playing at our weakest spot.
DIEHARD_005
Starter
And1: 902

Post#13 » by DIEHARD_005 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:33 pm

Right now, my biggest knock on him is that he didnt know how to pronounce Queens Quay or Roncesvalles.
highscore
Sixth Man
And1: 524

Post#14 » by highscore » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:35 pm

When can we trade Dragic again? Super upsetting we are simply playing this guy to maintain his trade value and pretend like he's actually a net positive out there. Rexdale Banton brings so much more out there!
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#15 » by gerrit4 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:36 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Its tempting to play him given the impact he's having but I still think he needs a full G league season to improve his shot. Its not good. Would be better for his career long term. But maybe he can do it with the big squad. Just too many players on the roster which limits his minutes. Guys like this need to play. He did red shirt one college season also.

He's the PG that actually plays the style they hope to achieve. He's up the floor quick head up the whole way.

Once Siakam & Yuta are back, I expect that minutes will be harder to come by. Can players still share time between G-League and the main roster at the same time? I could totally see Banton starting for the G-League and playing spot minutes for the main team the next night.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Post#16 » by ash_k » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:43 pm

Indeed wrote:
ash_k wrote:

Achiuwa is a 2nd year player with some big improvements, and also playing at our weakest spot.

and Banton has played 29 minutes in total. Used as a quick spark in a couple of games.
While about 14 months ago, Dragic was leading the Miami in scoring heading into the NBA Finals (then got injured-again).
As soon as Dragic gets traded as we can't play 3 players under 6'4 then the former rookie of the month will move into the backup PG role while Banton goes back&forth with 905. Banton needs playing time having only played 27 games+29 minutes of NBA so far+Preseason+Summer league IN 2 YEARS.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,741

Post#17 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:50 pm

He's playing against NBA competition, doesn't look out of place at all and whoever we have on the floor, the unit plays well. I cant find much fault in him so far. Load up his minutes a bit and let him shoot to see where he's at. Flynn... let him sit.

ESPN has him at 6-7 when the guy looks 6-9 or 6-10... that I don't get. I think that's is what's driving the Livingston comparisons, but he seems very much taller longer and different to me.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,018

Post#18 » by ItsDanger » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:56 pm

gerrit4 wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Its tempting to play him given the impact he's having but I still think he needs a full G league season to improve his shot. Its not good. Would be better for his career long term. But maybe he can do it with the big squad. Just too many players on the roster which limits his minutes. Guys like this need to play. He did red shirt one college season also.

Once Siakam & Yuta are back, I expect that minutes will be harder to come by. Can players still share time between G-League and the main roster at the same time? I could totally see Banton starting for the G-League and playing spot minutes for the main team the next night.

I think so but I think he has to accept it, not sure about the details of that. He'll likely bounce between the 2.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#19 » by Reeko » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:02 pm

DIEHARD_005 wrote:Right now, my biggest knock on him is that he didnt know how to pronounce Queens Quay or Roncesvalles.

:lol: I was calling it Queens Kway well into my late teens.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#20 » by MikeM » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:05 pm

He's 6'9 with handles and vision after all. That doesn't grow on trees. He shouldn't have lasted until 46/47 based on those tools. He absolutely needs a jump shot.

Return to Toronto Raptors