Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,085

Re: Game 5: Los Angeles Clippers @ Portland Trail Blazers: Oct 29 7:00 PM PCT 

Post#61 » by og15 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:57 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
og15 wrote:.
Everyone hates when it is said, but law of averages

It seems clear our mean is not the team that finished off Utah and took Phoenix to 6 games without a bunch of guys, but it isn’t this team right now either…

Since we don’t have Ibaka, we really need a healthy Mook but we got neither right now. My guess is at least one of the 2 will be playing healthy soon, but maybe we don’t get both for awhile (or at all this season.)

There are other concerns of course, Kennard, what Mann can show this year, the new guys Bledsoe and Winslow, and what Reggie are we gonna get this year when everything is said and done.

While there seem to be some lineup changes that need to be made, I trust Lue’s timing on this. I feel as knee-jerk as any right now, but he’s playing for the season, not the immediate games this week.

Finally, it’s a shame we couldn’t take the 2 games where PG puts up All-NBA stat lines.

Yup, that's a good summary. The playoff without Kawhi team was on a high and on a good run, things were clicking, they got there from a whole season of experience. That is not what we should expect as their baseline performance. Similarly, what we have seen so far, a team missing good looks, not fully cohesive, still working out kinks, that is also not their baseline. So what we now need to see is what this teams true mean performance level is, then we can be better able to judge what is going on. So far all we have is little bits and pieces and some "maybe this, maybe that"
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#62 » by esqtvd » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:04 am

og15 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
og15 wrote:.
Everyone hates when it is said, but law of averages

It seems clear our mean is not the team that finished off Utah and took Phoenix to 6 games without a bunch of guys, but it isn’t this team right now either…

Since we don’t have Ibaka, we really need a healthy Mook but we got neither right now. My guess is at least one of the 2 will be playing healthy soon, but maybe we don’t get both for awhile (or at all this season.)

There are other concerns of course, Kennard, what Mann can show this year, the new guys Bledsoe and Winslow, and what Reggie are we gonna get this year when everything is said and done.

While there seem to be some lineup changes that need to be made, I trust Lue’s timing on this. I feel as knee-jerk as any right now, but he’s playing for the season, not the immediate games this week.

Finally, it’s a shame we couldn’t take the 2 games where PG puts up All-NBA stat lines.

Yup, that's a good summary. The playoff without Kawhi team was on a high and on a good run, things were clicking, they got there from a whole season of experience. That is not what we should expect as their baseline performance. Similarly, what we have seen so far, a team missing good looks, not fully cohesive, still working out kinks, that is also not their baseline. So what we now need to see is what this teams true mean performance level is, then we can be better able to judge what is going on. So far all we have is little bits and pieces and some "maybe this, maybe that"

FTR, Justin Russo agrees with you about the shooting progressing to the mean:

Read on Twitter

OTOH there are real worries:

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,693

Post#63 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:58 am

esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

FTR, Justin Russo agrees with you about the shooting progressing to the mean:

Read on Twitter

OTOH there are real worries:

Read on Twitter

That might be the most heartening stat I’ve seen from this season so far. If we are doing a good job generally lining up good scoring opportunities, and we believe in our shooting on the whole, we just need to keep on doing it. The good thing about last postseason is that I think it will take a lot more than 1-4 in 5 games to shake this team or cause any dissension.

It’s hard to overcome bad team shooting when you’re down a Kawhi to begin with. But I think you really know you have a player, when he can make positive contributions even on a poor shooting nights. It’s great that Luke occasionally goes 6-9 from 3 and gets 25 or whatever, but those seem to be the only games where he makes an impact…
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,693

Post#64 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:04 am

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
og15 wrote:Lucky or not, pre-Clippers, Reggie's previous 5 seasons he averaged 16/3/5 and shot 43/35. If you actually think he will shoot 32/30 for the rest of the season, you're just not being realistic. We all remember 19/20. Beverley shot 37/22 in his first 18 games, he finished the season 43/39. Back in the Lob City days, 14-15, Redick shot 37/31 the first 10 games, people were going wild, like this crap doesn't happen every season to some player. He finished the season 48/44. If we aren't going to learn from history, we might as well just give up :lol:

Reggie is not an All-Star, but Reggie is in a slump and he will not remain in that slump for 70+ more games unless his arm is broken and he's trying to play all season with it.

Lillard came into this game averaging 18 ppg on 33/17 for example. Do we expect him to stay there?

True but at the same time he was pretty much out of the league too as we called him back at the very last season to rejoin the team on a minimum deal and even then he was supposed to be the 15th guy at the end of the bench. We had some injuries and he caught lightning in a bottle and played above his norm all the way into the post season. Now we're trying to find out which Reggie we have.. Playoff Reggie or Pistons Reggie. Hopefully he breaks out of his slump or else he could be washed

Same thing happened with Bev's great performance in the 2019 playoffs with the Shai-Gallo team. It was a peak, it wasn't a new norm. And our FO rewarded them both with top-of-the-market contracts.

But in fairness to the FO, we miss Bev and as much as he's been struggling, think about it---we'd be positively SCREWED without Reggie right now. We don't have ANYTHING resembling a point guard on this roster.

OR a leader. At least Bev could fake both. I'm not down on the trade and I'm not down on the player, but Bledsoe can't fake either. Reggie does the best he can.

It’s my sentimentality talking for sure, but I will ride with PG and Reggie Jackson. They are different levels of players, but I believe each can provide what is needed from them by this team.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#65 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:39 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:I’d make it Mann; I think we need the scoring more off the bench, and Luke is markedly more productive so far. He's a solid sixth man right now.

I don't know if a solid sixth man will do. Since Doc River's arrival, the Clipper's playoff appearances have been aided by a Sixth Man award winner: Jamal Crawford, Lou Williams, Montrezl Harrell. Their bench has always been pretty bad which was proven pretty evident thanks to last night. None of the players on this roster have ever won a Sixth Man award, none can even come close. I originally stated that the Clipper's playoff hopes rest solely on Mann making an All-Star Game, but I may have to change my stance. Whenever one of the Clipper starters is not performing well, the one to pick up the slack has been a Sixth Man candidate/award winner. None of the guys here are going to cut it.

Clippers might need to look into trading for a Sixth Man. No way Crawford's coming back. Williams is in the twilight of his career (he's been getting DNP's lately for a weird reason). Harrell does much better with teams who want to prove the league wrong, such as Wizards who are being seen as another lottery team with Beal's name always being brought up in trade rumors. Who else out there in the league is a bonafide Sixth Man Of The Year award winner, somebody who can replace the points, rebounds and assists for Kawhi Leonard until he comes back?

And as for the big man problem, that's going to be permament thing for Clippers. Their defensive schemes would have to be modified in such a way that they all result in turnovers, either by drawing airball contests, blocks, steals, offensive fouls, shot clock violations, travelling, and other forms of schemes where a rebound is not required. Basically, break the record for turnovers per game, and that's a Herculean task.

Yeah, but Crawford and Lou and Trezz were all one way players. Their strength in one area covered up their deficiencies in all the others. I agree we could use the strength they all had—scoring!—right now, but we’d have to suffer with the deficiencies. Peak Lou would help because he was great; Jamal was a great guy, but he was completely singular—nothing other than scoring. Trezz would help … some. Zu is outplayed because he lacks quicks and and perimeter shooting—but so does Trezz. (A good motor doesn’t give you side to side movement, unfortunately.)

What we need is a glue guy. I was hoping, and still think there’s a chance, that it’s Winslow. A guy who can play multiple positions and has multiple strengths to his game—including D—has enormous value. I think scoring gets a little bit overvalued. Seriously, if we wanted frontcourt scoring again, forget Trezz—just resign Boogie. And that may be an option. But the holes in his current game, like the holes in Jamal’s and Trezz’s, crimp their overall value.

I think the law of averages will work itself out for us; like I said, we’ve got a bunch of guys shooting in the 30s that simply won’t be there all year. The bigers hist to our reboudng has been Mook--he's going to be better when he comes back. But he's got to come back. And it’s hard to find a rhythm for these guys with our without Mook; a team’s pace and style if often dictated by the PG, and we really don’t have one. I really do think it will come together—the question is if it will to be late for a push for the postseason by then.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Post#66 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:52 pm

I think Derozan definitely could have helped with Kawhi out. It's too bad the Clippers weren't able to acquire him. He seems to be helping the Bulls
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#67 » by esqtvd » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:34 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I think Derozan definitely could have helped with Kawhi out. It's too bad the Clippers weren't able to acquire him. He seems to be helping the Bulls

DeRozan is the perfect example of a scorer who will get you points somehow even if inefficient: it's those 5-minute stretches without a basket that kill you.

Jamal was highly respected by his peers because they knew he was making something out of nothing: creating scoring opportunities where there were none. Nobody considered him selfish, or a gunner. This is why Redick couldn't play with the second unit although he was a plus with the first: Redick needed to be fed his opportunities--even though he did his part and ran around like a maniac to get open, he still needed to be fed. [How this affects Luke, we shall see.]

Kawhi OFTEN bailed us out and got us points out of a busted possession, and that's what we miss most at the moment.

As for the rap on Trezz in the playoffs, his 2019 playoffs were fine. You could look it up. And although it's true Jamal and Lou fell off in the playoffs, there's something to be said for bench players who bring it night after night in the regular season and win you games you'd otherwise have lost. And for the record, the legendary Vinnie Microwave Johnson had a 46% eFG lifetime in the playoffs; Lou was 44.2% and Jamal was 44.2% as well, hardly disasters.

LATE ADD:

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers