ImageImageImage

Potential free agent targets

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Re: Potential free agent targets 

Post#61 » by bstein14 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 3:35 am

I feel like we kept too many players from last year. Maybe people got comfortable. Hard to say what, but we can into this season without the same focus and energy. Two of our best players thus far have been new players, Lyles and Olynyk. Sometimes players just need a change of scenery.

I think it makes sense to keep Saben since he signed a 3 year min deal with a 3rd year player option. Diallo got a 2 year deal with the 2nd year being a team option, and early returns look like we're declining that year two option but of course the season is young. Frank Jackson also got a 2 year deal with the 2nd year being a $3.15 million team option and the early returns have us turning that option down as well. Josh Jackson has been ok... has had some highlight blocks... and I'd be ok to resign him on the cheap but thus far he hasn't shown enough to say he is someone to focus on bringing back.... hopefully that changes. Lyles has a 2nd year team option and I think the early signs point to us keeping him for that cheap year two.

CoJo is a player option I know everyone wishes it was a team option instead.

Eventually we need a bit more roster turnover if players aren't putting things together. You can't expect a ton of change if you bring back 12 of 15 guys, draft two rookies and sign one FA.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#62 » by Pharaoh » Thu Nov 4, 2021 5:12 am

bstein14 wrote:I feel like we kept too many players from last year. Maybe people got comfortable. Hard to say what, but we can into this season without the same focus and energy. Two of our best players thus far have been new players, Lyles and Olynyk. Sometimes players just need a change of scenery.

I think it makes sense to keep Saben since he signed a 3 year min deal with a 3rd year player option. Diallo got a 2 year deal with the 2nd year being a team option, and early returns look like we're declining that year two option but of course the season is young. Frank Jackson also got a 2 year deal with the 2nd year being a $3.15 million team option and the early returns have us turning that option down as well. Josh Jackson has been ok... has had some highlight blocks... and I'd be ok to resign him on the cheap but thus far he hasn't shown enough to say he is someone to focus on bringing back.... hopefully that changes. Lyles has a 2nd year team option and I think the early signs point to us keeping him for that cheap year two.

Eventually we need a bit more roster turnover if players aren't putting things together. You can't expect a ton of change if you bring back 12 of 15 guys, draft two rookies and sign one FA.
We just turned the whole roster over though.

You can't ship out half the roster every off-season and expect to build chemistry and continuity and winning basketball is built on that as much as it is on talent and fitting pieces together.

I know we're all tired of the losing and want a winning team ASAP but I do believe Weaver has a plan and we're executing that plan.

We can argue about that plan and the execution of it but dumping multiple guys every off-season isn't the answer

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#63 » by Manocad » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:29 am

Pharaoh wrote:
bstein14 wrote:I feel like we kept too many players from last year. Maybe people got comfortable. Hard to say what, but we can into this season without the same focus and energy. Two of our best players thus far have been new players, Lyles and Olynyk. Sometimes players just need a change of scenery.

We just turned the whole roster over though.

You can't ship out half the roster every off-season and expect to build chemistry and continuity and winning basketball is built on that as much as it is on talent and fitting pieces together.

I know we're all tired of the losing and want a winning team ASAP but I do believe Weaver has a plan and we're executing that plan.

We can argue about that plan and the execution of it but dumping multiple guys every off-season isn't the answer

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app

Shoot, if some people on this board had their way the team would be swapping out players non-stop after a couple of bad games.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#64 » by DBC10 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 3:01 pm

mattao313 wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:I think a cheaper vet pg that was actually good could help Cade. I guess I'm in the minority but i don't see pg with him. I rather give that responsibility to someone else and let him worry about just getting his and spotting up shooting 3s. Get rid of Cory Joseph and have Killian play with the bench mob. Hopefully we can get a good big man in this draft.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app

So someone like Dragic? There's really not a lot of decent to good vet PGs out there and nearly every playoff bound Eastern team would pursue one since they themselves need a steady hand at the 1. Especially Boston with their mess and no playmaking
Yeah you're right maybe Rubio too

Rubio is another solid name for a vet playmaker. He's not going to add 5 wins for us or anything crazy like that, but guys like playing with him and he seems to be doing fine on the Cavs with their young front court.

It'll just be hard to pry guys like him since nearly every team will offer a vet min at a minimum and overpay if needed
Manocad
RealGM

Post#65 » by Manocad » Thu Nov 4, 2021 3:30 pm

DBC10 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
So someone like Dragic? There's really not a lot of decent to good vet PGs out there and nearly every playoff bound Eastern team would pursue one since they themselves need a steady hand at the 1. Especially Boston with their mess and no playmaking
Yeah you're right maybe Rubio too

Rubio is another solid name for a vet playmaker. He's not going to add 5 wins for us or anything crazy like that, but guys like playing with him and he seems to be doing fine on the Cavs with their young front court.

It'll just be hard to pry guys like him since nearly every team will offer a vet min at a minimum and overpay if needed

Now is not the time to be adding 31 year old players to the roster.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#66 » by mattao313 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 5:08 pm

Manocad wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Yeah you're right maybe Rubio too

It's more about adding some structure to the team for development sake. We don't have a NBA level pg on the team arguably the most important guy to actually run an offense and set the pace. Im totally fine with getting some more high pick just think the product on the floor isn't great for the young guys right now.

Championships
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#67 » by Drwho17 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 5:13 pm

I think people just need to be patient, this schedule isn't doint the team any favors. Go back and look at the prediction thread, how many wins did you see in the first 10 games? I saw them at 2-8, Orlando/Houston possible wins. Let's see them against some more mediocre teams, see how they play and get their confidence up a bit.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#68 » by mattao313 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 5:31 pm

Drwho17 wrote:I think people just need to be patient, this schedule isn't doint the team any favors. Go back and look at the prediction thread, how many wins did you see in the first 10 games? I saw them at 2-8, Orlando/Houston possible wins. Let's see them against some more mediocre teams, see how they play and get their confidence up a bit.
I never thought they'd win many games but the on court product is awful the team is getting man handled nightly. We got a -13.5 point differential lol.

Championships
Manocad
RealGM

Post#69 » by Manocad » Thu Nov 4, 2021 6:29 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

It's more about adding some structure to the team for development sake. We don't have a NBA level pg on the team arguably the most important guy to actually run an offense and set the pace. Im totally fine with getting some more high pick just think the product on the floor isn't great for the young guys right now.

And I don't buy that take at all. This team isn't being hindered by lousy PG play in the sense that they're not getting the ball when they're open. If there's one thing this team has shown an ability to do is get guys decent looks at the hoop. They're just not hitting shots.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#70 » by mattao313 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 6:55 pm

Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:Now is not the time to be adding 31 year old players to the roster.

And I don't buy that take at all. This team isn't being hindered by lousy PG play in the sense that they're not getting the ball when they're open. If there's one thing this team has shown an ability to do is get guys decent looks at the hoop. They're just not hitting shots.
Ok well i see no penetration to the rim or breaking the defense down. Could be a coach problem but also Cory Joseph and Killian Hayes haven't shown much of that. Probably would also help if we had s true big man on the team too but Casey is in love with small ball so I don't see that happening.

Championships
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#71 » by DBC10 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 12:45 pm

Manocad wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Yeah you're right maybe Rubio too

As a Cojo replacement, yes, not even advocating him starting since that wouldn't make much sense for this young team. Hell, it doesn't even have to be some random, 31 year old, as long as they can functionally come in and not be a mess. Someone that actually has a know-how of a more dynamic offense. We could use actual decent vet play off the bench instead of someone that clearly likes running a whoever offense and can't shoot at all

I mean, that's one piece of the puzzle anyways. We got lots of holes still and our non-shooting exacerbates a lot of the issue
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#72 » by jakebernat » Fri Nov 5, 2021 2:14 pm

cojo is here until saben (or cojo himself) forces him out. the quicker you all accept that, the less painful this whole process will be.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#73 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 6:23 pm

What would it cost to get Okongwu

Championships
mattao313
General Manager

Post#74 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:53 pm

Is it a chance to get Delon Wright back? I understand why Casey wants a vet playing pg it just Corey Joseph sucks really bad, I'd rather have Wright back.

Championships
Manocad
RealGM

Post#75 » by Manocad » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:56 pm

mattao313 wrote:Is it a chance to get Delon Wright back? I understand why Casey wants a vet playing pg it just Corey Joseph sucks really bad, I'd rather have Wright back.

No point in that other than for potentially better viewing. There's no good short term or long term benefit.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#76 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:37 pm

Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Is it a chance to get Delon Wright back? I understand why Casey wants a vet playing pg it just Corey Joseph sucks really bad, I'd rather have Wright back.

No point in that other than for potentially better viewing. There's no good short term or long term benefit.
Yup in your opinion sure.

Championships
Manocad
RealGM

Post#77 » by Manocad » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:52 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:

I'd be happy to hear your argument. Enthrall me. You even said "I'D RATHER have Wright back," not that there was a benefit to the team.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#78 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:07 pm

Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:No point in that other than for potentially better viewing. There's no good short term or long term benefit.

I'd be happy to hear your argument. Enthrall me. You even said "I'D RATHER have Wright back," not that there was a benefit to the team.
I think having some structure around the young guys will help them simple as that. Corey Joseph suck so better to have a guy that can actually contribute to the team in positive ways and take some pressure off the young guys, When they need it or actually be able to set guys up like Stewart who could really benefit from a competent pg instead of Corey consistently turning the ball over or not being able to beat his man.

Or when Cade or even Killian get to careless with the ball a vet that can actually play can let them slide over to sg and manage the team while they can still focus on scoring and such.

All in just a steady hand.

Championships
Manocad
RealGM

Post#79 » by Manocad » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:12 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Yup in your opinion sure.

I think having some structure around the young guys will help them simple as that. Corey Joseph suck so better to have a guy that can actually contribute to the team in positive ways and take some pressure off the young guys, When they need it or actually be able to set guys up like Stewart who could really benefit from a competent pg instead of Corey consistently turning the ball over or not being able to beat his man.

Or when Cade or even Killian get to careless with the ball a vet that can actually play can let them slide over to sg and manage the team while they can still focus on scoring and such.

It's a valid point but I'd rather give Saben Lee a shot playing Cojo's minutes before running out and finding another vet PG.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#80 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:16 pm

Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:I'd be happy to hear your argument. Enthrall me. You even said "I'D RATHER have Wright back," not that there was a benefit to the team.

It's a valid point but I'd rather give Saben Lee a shot playing Cojo's minutes before running out and finding another vet PG.
Well sure that's obvious I'm just saying if Casey is hell bent on playing a vet which it seems so far I'd be ok with that compromise.

Championships

Return to Detroit Pistons