Expansion: How sure are you that Seattle gets a team?

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

How sure are you that Seattle gets a team if the NBA expands?

100% Sure
70%
Likely
22%
Unlikely.
4%
Definitely not going to happen
4%

Total votes: 23

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,789

Expansion: How sure are you that Seattle gets a team? 

Post#1 » by Stannis » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:40 pm

We were talking about it on the General board, so I'm curious how SuperSonic fans feel.
Free Palestine
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,425

Re: If an NBA Expansion happens (2 teams), how sure are you that Seattle gets a team? 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:05 pm

Well...Seattle has many things going for it at the moment. So it's pretty safe to say that the city won't get left at the altar this time.

Biggest Factors:
A new arena (Climate Pledge)
Strong ownership group (NHL-Kraken)
Full political support
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
theagent
General Manager
And1: 508

NBA Expansion 

Post#3 » by theagent » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:06 pm

The two places getting expansion teams will be SEA and Vegas. Pelicans will be moved to the eastern conference to balance things. 32 teams making more opportunities for players to be discovered.
HDMAVS760CA
Senior
And1: 22

Re: If Expansion happens (2 teams), how sure are you that Seattle gets a team? 

Post#4 » by HDMAVS760CA » Tue Nov 2, 2021 6:45 am

Well some people who run sports are that stupid. Its stupid that the cities who deserve a particular sports team or another team cause they have been done dirty never get a team again. Quebec for nhl a major example. But the cities who have teams who are least popular, never will be no.1 in the city, are hardly supported, can't get their act 2gether & should move or be contracted get constantly saved from it time after time after time. And cities who don't deserve another particular sports team gets millions of chances like Pacman Jones in the nfl. Some idiot brings another team back to that city that don't deserve it just because they're in a big market. Large populations does not a great sports town make.

In the 90's for nfl expansion, I was so very sure that either St. Louis or Baltimore, possibly both would get an expansion team. Both those cities did everything that was asked of them & both still got screwed over for rinky dink Jacksonville. The league chose to have a mentality of ANYWHERE BUT BALTIMORE & ST. LOUIS. I felt it shoulda been Carolina & Baltimore. I felt baltimore & st. louis winning SB's was karma for that screw job. Jacksonville is between 2 cities who wasn't supported well in the nfl in Atlanta & Tampa Bay. No point of putting a football team there.

But, the nba seems to be going in a direction I hate. If that don't change, plus if teams I hate/ or in the screw them range keeps winning the title, then I might just boycott them again....but until certain players retire or if the nba stops taking forever to bring back the sonics. The league mostly shows teams I don't care to watch. Do I watch a few teams besides the clippers, yes. Mainly because of nba league pass channel.
theagent
General Manager

Post#5 » by theagent » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:08 am

99.9% sure Seattle gets a franchise....and 90% sure Vegas gets a franchise. I think Silver is more reasonable and sees the big picture but Seattle's hands weren't entirely clean in losing the Sonics. even if the won that court case it would have only been 2 more years of bs Sonics bball.

The NBA as it is set up is kinda necessary to bring in a franchise or two.
1. recoup revenue from 2020 and the covid break
2. the nba salary structure makes it impossible to get rid off headcases like Ben simmons and kyrie irving. by introducing an expansion franchise makes it better to get rid of unncessary distractions and gives players an opportunity to re-invent themselves.
3. seattle hungry for bball. vegas has been successful so far with the nhl and nfl, will be getting the oakland A's and won't miss a beat with the nba.
theagent
General Manager

Post#6 » by theagent » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:09 am

HDMAVS760CA wrote: In the 90's for nfl expansion, I was so very sure that either St. Louis or Baltimore, possibly both would get an expansion team. Both those cities did everything that was asked of them & both still got screwed over for rinky dink Jacksonville. The league chose to have a mentality of ANYWHERE BUT BALTIMORE & ST. LOUIS. I felt it shoulda been Carolina & Baltimore. I felt baltimore & st. louis winning SB's was karma for that screw job. Jacksonville is between 2 cities who wasn't supported well in the nfl in Atlanta & Tampa Bay. No point of putting a football team there.

St. Louis messed up not going all in for a state-of-the art stadium plain and simple
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

NBA Expansion 

Post#7 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:36 am

theagent wrote:The two places getting expansion teams will be SEA and Vegas. Pelicans will be moved to the eastern conference to balance things. 32 teams making more opportunities for players to be discovered.
In regards to distance it is better for Minnesota to move to the East than New Orleans.

In regards to dollars, the future owners of a Supersonics franchise would make more long-term if they paid a relocation fee for a franchise (and a 1/30 cut) rather than an expansion fee (and 1/32 cut)

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Re: NBA Expansion (Updates & Discussion) 

Post#8 » by Sothron » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:59 am

We all know that Seattle will get one of the new expansion teams. I wonder if you guys would want Vancouver to get the other? I think everyone can agree that the Vancouver fans got absolutely robbed of their franchise and deserve another one. I'd love to get the old rivalry back in the NBA.
theagent
General Manager

NBA Expansion 

Post#9 » by theagent » Mon Dec 6, 2021 4:08 am

DoItALL9 wrote:
theagent wrote:The two places getting expansion teams will be SEA and Vegas. Pelicans will be moved to the eastern conference to balance things. 32 teams making more opportunities for players to be discovered.
In regards to distance it is better for Minnesota to move to the East than New Orleans.

In regards to dollars, the future owners of a Supersonics franchise would make more long-term if they paid a relocation fee for a franchise (and a 1/30 cut) rather than an expansion fee (and 1/32 cut)

Silver is already on record as saying that he is not in favor of teams relocating. Places like Sac and Minny have made huge investments in their facilities to makes sure they're competitive. Memphis and New Orleans on the other hand.....I still think they will stand pat and will look for more local investment to make bball stay.
theagent
General Manager

Post#10 » by theagent » Mon Dec 6, 2021 4:15 am

Sothron wrote:We all know that Seattle will get one of the new expansion teams. I wonder if you guys would want Vancouver to get the other? I think everyone can agree that the Vancouver fans got absolutely robbed of their franchise and deserve another one. I'd love to get the old rivalry back in the NBA.

They weren't robbed, Vancouver just wasn't supportive of basketball.

I wouldn't be surprised if Louisvile gets a team but the sexy choices are SEA and Vegas
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#11 » by Sothron » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:54 am

theagent wrote:
Sothron wrote:We all know that Seattle will get one of the new expansion teams. I wonder if you guys would want Vancouver to get the other? I think everyone can agree that the Vancouver fans got absolutely robbed of their franchise and deserve another one. I'd love to get the old rivalry back in the NBA.

They weren't robbed, Vancouver just wasn't supportive of basketball.

I wouldn't be surprised if Louisvile gets a team but the sexy choices are SEA and Vegas

That is factually inaccurate. Vancouver had good attendance and support until it was made public the team was being moved to Memphis. Those fans got robbed and deserve another team. Go ask Vancouver fans about it. It is pretty sad.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#12 » by Det the Threat » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:59 pm

100% sure.

Not because the league "wants to make things right" or Silver being more favourable to Seattle.

It's the simple fact that the main issue has been fixed, thanks to that $1.15 billion building, and the players involved(both Leiweke's and Bonderman) who have a great working relationship with the decisionmakers.
Also, bringing back the NBA team was always part of the plan and given how Bonderman & Co. have dealt with everything so far, I doubt they'll stop before getting this done as well.
Pick And Roll
Ballboy
And1: 9

Re: Expansion: How sure are you that Seattle gets a team? 

Post#13 » by Pick And Roll » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:58 am

I think it's a given Seattle is guaranteed one of the two slots. It's more a question of who gets the second one. Vegas seems likely, but we'll see how it unfolds.
wegotthabeet
Veteran
And1: 1,938

Re: NBA Expansion 

Post#14 » by wegotthabeet » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:49 pm

theagent wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:

Silver is already on record as saying that he is not in favor of teams relocating. Places like Sac and Minny have made huge investments in their facilities to makes sure they're competitive. Memphis and New Orleans on the other hand.....I still think they will stand pat and will look for more local investment to make bball stay.

well of course. what else is he supposed to say?
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:01 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083642-warriors-steph-curry-names-seattle-las-vegas-nashville-for-potential-new-nba-teams

I can't imagine Nashville being a high contender to receive a franchise anytime soon unless the Grizzlies moved there. Nashville have much going for it besides no state income tax in regards to appeal to players? Tennessee has one team already.

Seattle, Vancouver, Las Vegas, Mexico City, and Louisville seem like the only cities with a realistic shot right now imo
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:06 pm

Woj said it's not far off

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball