ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Season news/notes/discussion thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Re: 2021 Season news/notes/discussion thread 

Post#141 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:50 pm

wco81 wrote:On OBJ, my recollection is that whenever the Giants had a big game, he rarely showed up or produced.

Part of it was the drama. When things didn't go his way he didn't get better, he got worse.

So I don't think he's likely to help much. For all his talent, he may be more trouble than he's worth.

The fact that the Browns may release him instead of trying to trade him may indicate they didn't get much interest from other teams.

All games are pretty much must-win now, unless the Cards and the Rams lose a few more games. But you also need Dallas and Green Bay to lose games just to have as much possible routes to the playoffs.

Yeah, Its entirely up for debate on potentially how much impact Odell would have with a new team.

However, its not as simple as saying the Browns couldn't trade him so nobody was interested in him. Before yesterday's contract restructure OBJ had 2.5 years left of cap hits north of $20 million. Nobody was going to trade for that contract, + give the Browns some kind of compensation.

As for the 49ers playoff aspirations, they are currently only 1/2 game out of a playoff spot with 10 games left to play. We definitely haven't entered "must win" territory yet.

Now, the next 2 games against the Cards and Rams are very, very important especially if they want to retain any hopes of winning the division. But they aren't must win.

After the Rams next week:
@ Jaguars
vs Vikings
@ Seahawks
@ Bengals
vs Falcons
@ Titans
vs Texans
@ Rams

Other than that last game against the Rams, all those are winnable games. Even that Rams game could become easier than expected as LA might have nothing to play for at that point, and thus rest their key players in that game.

The addition of that 17th game + adding a 3rd wild card spot, really opened up a lot of playoff paths. Of course, that isn't exclusive to the 49ers as its the same for everybody. However my point is, we are still a ways from entering "must win" territory.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#142 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 9:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Great to get Kittle/Wilson/Gould back.

However, that whole Dee Ford back thing escalated rather quickly.

All within a 4 day span, Went from clearing concussion protocol and getting a practice in. To missing practice with a back issue, to getting classified as questionable for this weeks game. To getting placed on IR.

I'd be surprised if we see him again this year, and I wouldn't be shocked if we never see him suit up for the 49ers again.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#143 » by Jikkle » Sun Nov 7, 2021 9:32 am

Samurai wrote:So should the Niners make a play for Odell Beckham Jr? While it is encouraging to see Aiyuk take a step forward in the Bears game, a combo of Deebo and OBJ could discourage safeties from jamming the box to stuff our running game. Of course, Shanahan may call too many running plays for OBJ's dad's preferences and Jimmy's lack of arm strength could certainly be the target of some nasty comments from OBJ's family as well and I'm sure Shanahan doesn't want/need that kind of drama in the clubhouse.

I wouldn't hate the move especially since our big 3 never seem to all be healthy at the same time but I don't see the team putting a claim in for him and I don't know how interested he would be to play for them since his goal is going to be to rehab his value to land a new deal in the offseason. I can't eliminate the chance either because there aren't a ton of attractive spots either.

To me his ideal landing spot is Green Bay because Rodgers would be throwing him the ball and while Adams is the clear number 1 the Packers have nothing outside of that. So he should get plenty of targets along with a lot of attention because the Packers will make the playoffs and they get a lot of national attention.

Rams could make a play since he'd love to be in LA and he'd get the national attention he wants it's just the only problem is would he get the targets he would want.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#144 » by Jikkle » Sun Nov 7, 2021 9:35 am

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#145 » by Samurai » Tue Nov 9, 2021 12:08 am

McGlinchey out for the year with torn quadriceps. Guess defensive ends will have a field day with Tom "the human turnstile" Compton the rest of the way. Or if Compton continues to play so poorly, maybe Shanahan will finally let Aaron Banks play. And once he is convinced this season is completely lost, give Moore a shot at RT and let Banks take Brunskill's spot. We're in trouble if Brunskill is the answer next season so might as well see if Banks can be an upgrade or if he was just a wasted 2nd round pick.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#146 » by Jikkle » Tue Nov 9, 2021 3:53 am

Samurai wrote:McGlinchey out for the year with torn quadriceps. Guess defensive ends will have a field day with Tom "the human turnstile" Compton the rest of the way. Or if Compton continues to play so poorly, maybe Shanahan will finally let Aaron Banks play. And once he is convinced this season is completely lost, give Moore a shot at RT and let Banks take Brunskill's spot. We're in trouble if Brunskill is the answer next season so might as well see if Banks can be an upgrade or if he was just a wasted 2nd round pick.

If Moore isn't starting at RT I'm at a loss of words with Shanahan.

I thought he should've been the one off the bench yesterday but I at least could buy an argument that Moore is a rookie primarily getting LT snaps and you didn't want to throw him in there at RT in the middle of a game.

He has a full week to prepare so there is 0 reason for him not to be the RT on Monday. Compton is terrible with no future with the team and Moore potentially could be the RT moving forward so let him get his snaps in.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#147 » by Warriorfan » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:25 pm

Looks like a lost season with a Rams loss. Beginning of the end of slow death of Shanahan era. Lynch becomes scapegoat if this is a losing season.

Shanahan has maybe 2 seasons to right the ship
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#148 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:59 pm

Jalen Hurd officially gone. No shock, but a huge disappointment. That one is going to sting for a long while. I REPEATEDLY said before and during the draft that they should take Terry McLaurin in the third. What a difference that move would have made.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#149 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:04 pm

For an offense wiz, he sure sucks at evaluating offense players.

Who do they have to show after squandering all those picks?

Kettle, Debo and maybe Try.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#150 » by thesack12 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:06 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Jalen Hurd officially gone. No shock, but a huge disappointment. That one is going to sting for a long while. I REPEATEDLY said before and during the draft that they should take Terry McLaurin in the third. What a difference that move would have made.

Resources invested into the WR position by the current regime:

5th round (177 overall) in 2017: Trent Taylor
2nd round (44 overall) in 2018 : Dante Pettis *traded additional picks to move up*
7th round (240 overall) in 2018: Richie James
2nd round (36 overall) in 2019: Deebo Samuel
3rd round (67 overall) in 2019: Jalen Hurd
1st round (25 overall) in 2020: Brandon Aiyuk *traded additional picks to move up*
7th round (217 overall) in 2020: Jauan Jennings

Its quite frustrating how much the team has invested in WR's, and its still one of the weakest position groups on the team. Currently Deebo is the only reliable guy in the group. Aiyuk still holds plenty of promise, but he clearly took a step back this season. After those two guys, there is pretty much a nothing burger.

At least we can say that none of the above picks were nearly as bad as the AJ Jenkins pick... GROSS
wco81
RealGM

Post#151 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:23 pm

Even if Aiyuk pans out, they clearly botched that draft by picking Kinlaw at #14 when they could have gotten Lamb at #17.

Then they wouldn't have had to move up to #25 for Aiyuk.

Now Kinlaw can come back from injury and be a HoF type of player but we all know that isn't happening, it's another wasted pick by Kyle and Lynch.

Also highly doubtful Aiyuk will be as good as Lamb.

York may not want to eat Kyle and Lynch's contracts but he needs to get in someone else to run the draft and free agency signings.

They absolutely can not let them run another draft or offseason of personnel moves.

Oh and another semi-bust? McGlinchey picked #9 in 2018. Ugh, looks like they must have picked up his fifth year option at $10.9 million next year.

No way he's worth an extension unless it's a prove it deal for a couple of years. He's a liability in pass protection.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#152 » by Jikkle » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:53 am

When it comes to Kyle I think he gets hyper focused on a player's traits and how it fits into his system and tends to gloss over the flaws.

Looking at the offensive players they've picked you can understand the reasoning behind the picks it's just that they cross their fingers too much and hope that the players will stay healthy or they can iron out the flaws and make them liveable.

McGlinchey is a prime example because Kyle obviously fell in love with his run blocking ability which McGlinchey does generally excel at. What he glossed over is his pass blocking and I'm sure they felt he'd never be an elite pass blocker they were hoping he would just be at least serviceable and that just didn't happen.

So the draft issues with the team imo are they become too tunnel visioned in their evaluations and/or they draft guys with injury histories.

This past draft they seemed to focus on the health issue as Hufanga was really the only guy they picked with a dubious injury history coming from college.

Remains to be seen if they corrected the talent evaluation portion, which is very debatable considering our 2nd and both 3rd round picks aren't active on gamedays and if they are they're at the bottom of the depth chart.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#153 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:21 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Jalen Hurd officially gone. No shock, but a huge disappointment. That one is going to sting for a long while. I REPEATEDLY said before and during the draft that they should take Terry McLaurin in the third. What a difference that move would have made.

Resources invested into the WR position by the current regime:

5th round (177 overall) in 2017: Trent Taylor
2nd round (44 overall) in 2018 : Dante Pettis *traded additional picks to move up*
7th round (240 overall) in 2018: Richie James
2nd round (36 overall) in 2019: Deebo Samuel
3rd round (67 overall) in 2019: Jalen Hurd
1st round (25 overall) in 2020: Brandon Aiyuk *traded additional picks to move up*
7th round (217 overall) in 2020: Jauan Jennings

Its quite frustrating how much the team has invested in WR's, and its still one of the weakest position groups on the team. Currently Deebo is the only reliable guy in the group. Aiyuk still holds plenty of promise, but he clearly took a step back this season. After those two guys, there is pretty much a nothing burger.

At least we can say that none of the above picks were nearly as bad as the AJ Jenkins pick... GROSS

That doesn't even factor in the huge contract they gave to Pierre Garcon. I don't fault them a ton for that as they needed a veteran presence anyway, but it was an enormous waste of money.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#154 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:25 pm

I've never seen a team hit on more talent in the fifth round than the second, but that's our reality. We should just trade back and make like 12 picks in the 5th round. We'd have the best team in the league.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#155 » by thesack12 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:02 am

On the season Garoppolo is:

10th in QB rating (#1 over the last 4 games)
7th in QBR
3rd in yards/attempt

The counting stats don't look as favorable. Still a lot of that can be attributed to Jimmy missing 1.5 games (The 1st Arizona game + the 2nd half of the Seattle game), as well as the simple fact that Shanahan just doesn't dial up a ton of passing plays. We also are well aware that the right side of the o-line doesn't do him too many favors either.

Jimmy certainly isn't setting the world on fire, but he's having a solid season. If he continues on this kind of arc he will carry a decent amount of trade value, especially if Frisco can make the playoffs. There will be a ton of teams in the QB market this winter.

Now hopefully this post doesn't have a jinx type effect. Lol
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#156 » by Jikkle » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:56 am

This Vikings game might end up being the most important game of the year.

Winning would give the 9ers firm grounding in the playoff race as they would be in the spot of the 2nd WC team with tiebreakers over two potential threats in the Vikings and Eagles.

A win gives them some breathing room and a loss doesn't knock them out by any means it just gives them a slim margin of era.

The Vikings though might be the best team of the NFC teams you'd put in the "B" tier of the NFC. All their loses have been pretty close games against teams with winning records.
wco81
RealGM

Post#157 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:44 pm

They will face teams better than the Vikings in the playoffs.

If they can't beat the Vikings, even if they make the playoffs they have little hope.

Vikings have lost some close games. They could easily have a couple more wins.

Their WRs are great, going to be a huge challenge to the secondary. Thielen has been winning in making contested catches.

If the 49ers can't pressure Cousins, it could be a long day.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#158 » by Jikkle » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:16 am

wco81 wrote:They will face teams better than the Vikings in the playoffs.

If they can't beat the Vikings, even if they make the playoffs they have little hope.

Vikings have lost some close games. They could easily have a couple more wins.

Their WRs are great, going to be a huge challenge to the secondary. Thielen has been winning in making contested catches.

If the 49ers can't pressure Cousins, it could be a long day.

Don't get me wrong I don't think this team can make a Super Bowl run but I do think it's capable of making the playoffs especially with 3 WC spots.

The 9ers are firmly in that 2nd tier of NFC teams competing the last two WC spots. The teams competing for those spots are all pretty flawed so it's going to be a competition of who can screw it up the least to get in.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#159 » by thesack12 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:50 am

Jikkle wrote:This Vikings game might end up being the most important game of the year.

Winning would give the 9ers firm grounding in the playoff race as they would be in the spot of the 2nd WC team with tiebreakers over two potential threats in the Vikings and Eagles.

A win gives them some breathing room and a loss doesn't knock them out by any means it just gives them a slim margin of era.

The Vikings though might be the best team of the NFC teams you'd put in the "B" tier of the NFC. All their loses have been pretty close games against teams with winning records.

For sure.

Its pretty rare for a non divisional game in November to hold so much importance, but this one definitely does.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#160 » by Samurai » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:18 am

Deebo and Warner will miss the week 13 game against Seattle. Next man up!

Return to San Francisco 49ers