ImageImageImageImageImage

Importance of acquiring a 7 footer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,517

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#81 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Nov 7, 2021 9:38 pm

Kinger95 wrote:Need a top tier guy that can log major mins at the 5 for a few reasons.

1) smaller guys playing against bigger competition is a recipe to burn out/ increase injury likelihood.
2) most guys Don’t like to play a position where they give up size. If anything most guys consider themselves more skilled than they are and like to play where they have better size.
3) It’s your last line of defence and an elite defensive 5 can more than cover up mistakes from other positions

Exactly. Playing nothing but undersized C's we are always working at a deficit, always trying to climb uphill. It's wearing on guys to be always having to scrap and fight against bigger guys
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,108

Post#82 » by Chandan » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:16 am

we need better rim protector, someone that is intimidating to drive into the lane against (like Jarret Allen)
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,886

Post#83 » by Reeko » Mon Nov 8, 2021 8:36 am

We could've drafted drafted someone like Charles Bassey, instead of David Johnson, and developed him into our center of the future. Bassey is 6'11, 235lbs, he averaged 18 and 12 with 3 blocks. Now he's wasting away on Philly's bench.

The lack of size on the team was a concern of mine during the off season, and it surprised me that we didn't attempt to address through the draft.

I'm not buying the "we're trying to play 6'7-6'9 guys throughout the lineup" narrative so long as Fred is a starter on this team. If we're going to be traditional, if not undersized, at the point guard spot then we should also have traditionally sized center with a modern skillset.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,164

Post#84 » by God Squad » Mon Nov 8, 2021 8:49 am

I've been screaming we need a legit intimidation or weak side shot blocker. Initially I thought a Turner type because of the 3pt shooting and shot blocking. But IMO Turner is way to soft and doesn't really rebound well enough. I'm not sure what, or who are options could be.
Appostis
Veteran
And1: 2,202

Post#85 » by Appostis » Mon Nov 8, 2021 9:20 am

God Squad wrote:I've been screaming we need a legit intimidation or weak side shot blocker. Initially I thought a Turner type because of the 3pt shooting and shot blocking. But IMO Turner is way to soft and doesn't really rebound well enough. I'm not sure what, or who are options could be.

Dragic and this years pick for Turner?
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,164

Post#86 » by God Squad » Mon Nov 8, 2021 9:33 am

Appostis wrote:
God Squad wrote:I've been screaming we need a legit intimidation or weak side shot blocker. Initially I thought a Turner type because of the 3pt shooting and shot blocking. But IMO Turner is way to soft and doesn't really rebound well enough. I'm not sure what, or who are options could be.

Dragic and this years pick for Turner?

I'm not sure i'd trade any picks considering we should be in assets accumulation mode right now. Plus while I want a prospect with Turners archetype, I don't want Turner specially. IMO he's underachieved big time with his tools/skillset and opportunity. I thought he had top big in the league potential at one point.
blueseeka
Junior
And1: 123

Post#87 » by blueseeka » Mon Nov 8, 2021 1:59 pm

Reeko wrote:We could've drafted drafted someone like Charles Bassey, instead of David Johnson, and developed him into our center of the future. Bassey is 6'11, 235lbs, he averaged 18 and 12 with 3 blocks. Now he's wasting away on Philly's bench.

The lack of size on the team was a concern of mine during the off season, and it surprised me that we didn't attempt to address through the draft.

I'm not buying the "we're trying to play 6'7-6'9 guys throughout the lineup" narrative so long as Fred is a starter on this team. If we're going to be traditional, if not undersized, at the point guard spot then we should also have traditionally sized center with a modern skillset.

I liked Bassey alot. But it was obvious that they wouldnt of picked him since he is horrible in the PnR
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Post#88 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Nov 8, 2021 4:48 pm

I can almost guarantee that there's a lot more wear and tear on a player like OG, Siakam or Barnes chasing and defending a player like Kevin Durant than your average random 7foot C like Robin Lopez.

The players defending the opposing teams top players night after night are the guys that you need to be worried about over a long season, especially if they're also carrying a sizeable offensive load. And these top players are almost always guards or wings. There are very few impact Cs you need to worry about.

Adding a 7 footer doesn't make OGs job any easier when he's asked to guard top players consistently. You're just putting an inferior player on the court next to him that he's got to cover for.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#89 » by LiSTWithLani » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:45 am

There are target options that I like.
Dedmon, Olynyk, Bamba, Wood, Allen, Turner, to name a few...
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#90 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:56 am

OakleyDokely wrote:I can almost guarantee that there's a lot more wear and tear on a player like OG, Siakam or Barnes chasing and defending a player like Kevin Durant than your average random 7foot C like Robin Lopez.

The players defending the opposing teams top players night after night are the guys that you need to be worried about over a long season, especially if they're also carrying a sizeable offensive load. And these top players are almost always guards or wings. There are very few impact Cs you need to worry about.

Adding a 7 footer doesn't make OGs job any easier when he's asked to guard top players consistently. You're just putting an inferior player on the court next to him that he's got to cover for.

Not sure why we'd want an inferior player. No one is saying, just add a 7 footer no matter how immobile he is. It's simple, Birch is playing passably, Achiuwa is struggling. But Birch doesn't seem like a 38 minute guy, better as part of a pair. A year ago no one thought Birch would be an effective answer at center for us, until he was. He was under the radar. Masai is supposed to be good at finding these diamonds in the rough. Surely he could find a taller version of Birch who could block some shots too, on someone's bench. It would upgrade us over Precious.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Post#91 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Nov 9, 2021 12:48 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:I can almost guarantee that there's a lot more wear and tear on a player like OG, Siakam or Barnes chasing and defending a player like Kevin Durant than your average random 7foot C like Robin Lopez.

Not sure why we'd want an inferior player. No one is saying, just add a 7 footer no matter how immobile he is. It's simple, Birch is playing passably, Achiuwa is struggling. But Birch doesn't seem like a 38 minute guy, better as part of a pair. A year ago no one thought Birch would be an effective answer at center for us, until he was. He was under the radar. Masai is supposed to be good at finding these diamonds in the rough. Surely he could find a taller version of Birch who could block some shots too, on someone's bench. It would upgrade us over Precious.

But I don't get why someone needs to be 7ft to be effective. Precious and Birch have both been good defensively and on the boards and neither is a 7fter. I guess you can upgrade offensively on them, but usually you have to sacrifice defensively, unless you can add an all-star caliber player, which I'd be all for. But I don't see many of those type of guys available.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#92 » by will » Tue Nov 9, 2021 1:40 pm

We have 7 Footer on this board.

Why the heck can't the Raps give him a look?
Wannabe MEP
Analyst
And1: 1,786

Post#93 » by Wannabe MEP » Tue Nov 9, 2021 1:44 pm

God Squad wrote:I'm not sure i'd trade any picks considering we should be in assets accumulation mode right now. Plus while I want a prospect with Turners archetype, I don't want Turner specially. IMO he's underachieved big time with his tools/skillset and opportunity. I thought he had top big in the league potential at one point.

What top name 7-foot center hasn't underachieved since Shaq?
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#94 » by MixxSRC » Tue Nov 9, 2021 1:47 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

there's roughly 2000 to 3000 7 foot tall people in the world. and not all of them play basketball. It's not something he can just go to supermarket for.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#95 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Nov 9, 2021 1:58 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

But I don't get why someone needs to be 7ft to be effective. Precious and Birch have both been good defensively and on the boards and neither is a 7fter. I guess you can upgrade offensively on them, but usually you have to sacrifice defensively, unless you can add an all-star caliber player, which I'd be all for. But I don't see many of those type of guys available.

"7 footer" is a red herring, a straw man. 6"10, 6'11 is fine. As someone else posted earlier, the key is, a shot blocker. A rim protector. Birch is fine but he is not quite that.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#96 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Nov 9, 2021 2:09 pm

Los Soles wrote:
God Squad wrote:I'm not sure i'd trade any picks considering we should be in assets accumulation mode right now. Plus while I want a prospect with Turners archetype, I don't want Turner specially. IMO he's underachieved big time with his tools/skillset and opportunity. I thought he had top big in the league potential at one point.

What top name 7-foot center hasn't underachieved since Shaq?

Underachieved is a vague, fuzzy, subjective term. And who knows about listed heights in the NBA?

Marc Gasol is sometimes listed as 6"11, always looked taller to me. But him, Pau Gasol, Joel Embiid, KG, Tim Duncan.
Serge. Yao Ming cut short by injuries.

You can split hairs about 6'11 vs 7'0 or more, or were KG and TD forwards. But they played like centers.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,733

Post#97 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Nov 9, 2021 3:03 pm

Is Len available?
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#98 » by MixxSRC » Tue Nov 9, 2021 3:24 pm

18 pts, 12 blocks, 20 rebounds. Bring him up Masai
Wannabe MEP
Analyst
And1: 1,786

Post#99 » by Wannabe MEP » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:22 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Underachieved is a vague, fuzzy, subjective term. And who knows about listed heights in the NBA?

Marc Gasol is sometimes listed as 6"11, always looked taller to me. But him, Pau Gasol, Joel Embiid, KG, Tim Duncan.
Serge. Yao Ming cut short by injuries.

You can split hairs about 6'11 vs 7'0 or more, or were KG and TD forwards. But they played like centers.

I will split hairs, because thread title. Literally every guy on your list fails in at least one of the following ways:

• Not actually 7 feet tall
  • Spent a significant chunk of career playing not center
  • Zero titles as one of the best players on the team
This is the whole point. There was a time when the whole league believed a true 7-footer at C next to an also tall (circa 6-10 or 6-11) but more skilled PF (e.g., Timmy or KG) was ideal. But those days are gone, primarily because those true 7-footers failed again and again and again. They got injured, were too slow, and/or lacked the skills (Yao Ming, Roy Hibbert, Hasheem Thabeet, Greg Oden, Emeka Okafor, Kwame Brown, etc.). The most successful "centers" were PFs who started playing more center.

And yet here we are, still talking about 7-footers. Now you're saying that line isn't really the key. Ok...so where is the line then? Thread title says 7-footer. You think the arbitrary line is actually...what? 6-11? 6-10?
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#100 » by vini_vidi_vici » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:28 pm

We need a shot blocker??

*Among players who have faced >=4 FGA at the rim.

Edit: I swear theres a large contingent who a) dont want to sit through a development stage of this franchise, and b) want to bring back the 80s NBA.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.

Return to Toronto Raptors