Cade Cunningham

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 702

Re: Cade Cunningham 

Post#661 » by RollingWave » Fri Nov 5, 2021 4:03 am

Dr Positivity wrote:So if there's a short stick in the top 4... Green? Or they all hit and Suggs is the bust

There's various level of bust yeah? non of them have to go full Jabari Parker / Marvin Bagely to count as bust, but if you use a top 5 pick you're kinda disappointed if he's not at least a borderline all-star right? But in terms of just the player type, its true that Suggs hsas a higher chance to end up just being some decent but not great player right? like a worse Jrue Holiday or something, that's what... like a slightly different version of Ricky Rubio? Barnes too but he's popping quite a bit already and even if both ends up being "good defense meh offense" guys then you'd rather have that guy be the wing than PG certainly.

Green has a wide variance of outcome, it's not hard to see him either as an all star or some disappointing gunner. (Mobley too but in the opposite direction and he's already popping.) Cade, unless he really goes full Markel Fultz on us should have a pretty good mix of high floor and high ceiling.
The river of time wash away all heroes
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#662 » by babyjax13 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 4:09 am

RollingWave wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:So if there's a short stick in the top 4... Green? Or they all hit and Suggs is the bust

There's various level of bust yeah? non of them have to go full Jabari Parker / Marvin Bagely to count as bust, but if you use a top 5 pick you're kinda disappointed if he's not at least a borderline all-star right? But in terms of just the player type, its true that Suggs hsas a higher chance to end up just being some decent but not great player right? like a worse Jrue Holiday or something, that's what... like a slightly different version of Ricky Rubio?

Suggs can shoot and isn't the same level of passer. I think something between say ... Bledsoe and Holiday is pretty likely. Maybe early career Holiday is the comp. I actually don't think that's too bad for the 5th pick, but it would be a lesser player than I expect if he ends up closer to early career Jrue than Jrue now.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#663 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Nov 5, 2021 4:27 am

RollingWave wrote:

There's various level of bust yeah? non of them have to go full Jabari Parker / Marvin Bagely to count as bust, but if you use a top 5 pick you're kinda disappointed if he's not at least a borderline all-star right? But in terms of just the player type, its true that Suggs hsas a higher chance to end up just being some decent but not great player right? like a worse Jrue Holiday or something, that's what... like a slightly different version of Ricky Rubio? Barnes too but he's popping quite a bit already and even if both ends up being "good defense meh offense" guys then you'd rather have that guy be the wing than PG certainly.

Green has a wide variance of outcome, it's not hard to see him either as an all star or some disappointing gunner. (Mobley too but in the opposite direction and he's already popping.) Cade, unless he really goes full Markel Fultz on us should have a pretty good mix of high floor and high ceiling.

It's likely at least one player in the top 5 is a Parker/Bagley/Okafor/etc. level bust (Although i will say it's slightly unfair to include Parker in there since I think he could have been good without injury)
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,405

Post#664 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Nov 5, 2021 6:10 am

Trae Young was consdiered a bust of a shooter in his first full half season in the league, where he was averaging like 25% ona a lot of 3pfga. I didn't buy it though, and he turned things around in the second half of his rookie season. Massive criticism towards his shot selection as well which has faded away.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 702

Post#665 » by RollingWave » Fri Nov 5, 2021 7:18 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:Trae Young was consdiered a bust of a shooter in his first full half season in the league, where he was averaging like 25% ona a lot of 3pfga. I didn't buy it though, and he turned things around in the second half of his rookie season. Massive criticism towards his shot selection as well which has faded away.

Well the problem in that comp is that people worried about Trae against NBA athlete as he's obviously not a traditional elite guard athlete, and he also sucked in summer league.

With Cade, the worry is more like that this is a Markel Fultz situation where some weirdness happened and suddenly he went from a guy that can shoot to a guy that can't and the evaluation have to totally change. his shoot just looks different right now than even from summer league.
The river of time wash away all heroes
Martinez
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#666 » by Martinez » Fri Nov 5, 2021 1:06 pm

RollingWave wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:Trae Young was consdiered a bust of a shooter in his first full half season in the league, where he was averaging like 25% ona a lot of 3pfga. I didn't buy it though, and he turned things around in the second half of his rookie season. Massive criticism towards his shot selection as well which has faded away.

Well the problem in that comp is that people worried about Trae against NBA athlete as he's obviously not a traditional elite guard athlete, and he also sucked in summer league.

With Cade, the worry is more like that this is a Markel Fultz situation where some weirdness happened and suddenly he went from a guy that can shoot to a guy that can't and the evaluation have to totally change. his shoot just looks different right now than even from summer league.

Pistons/beilein were working with him this summer to give his shot a higher release point. So yeah, his shot is different
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#667 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 12:47 pm

I've watched every NBA minute of him except his most recent game (i'll watch that tomorrow). He really looks like a very good prospect. He is missing shoots, and obviously that can't continue or he will bust. But, on offense he is very inteligent. He takem smart shoots, makes smart passes, plays with excellent, excellent tempo. He plays off Guard alot, and Inthink that is incrediblely valuable. Its hard to win with extremly high usage players that aren't top 10 ATG(ish) caliber (LeBron, Durant, etc.). Most high usage guys produces dissapointing reaults die to lack of versatility. They are easy to game play against in the playoffs.

I comp Cade to a taller Lowry, and except for the shooting I am sayisfied with that so far. I also expect the shooting to come around and wind up semielite.

On defense he is doing alot, both good and bad. He is over helping so much, i assume that is the scheme. He gets deyatroyed on some screena and some times he overhelps and then the ball comet back to his man and he can't recover quick enough (just not an elite enough athlete to get away with it.). The very bright side is he vimpetes hard. I'll also repet it looks like the scheme wants him to overhelps because he does it SO often.

Overall he looks like a very inteligent floor general who can get clean looks at the basket in and outside of the arch. He looks comfortable on or off ball. The entire team catches is infectious over passing attitude. He competes, but won't ever be elite on D, he will show up and make "big boy" plays frequently, because he plays to win on off and def. He's very good off ball and in transition and is a terriffic rebounder.

He's not a Lamelo umaane assist guy, he's a Billups/Lowry floor general (btw I had Lamelo #2 and Cade #1 in their respective drafts).

The only negative so far is his shooting is off, but i'll give him the benifit of dount because its an ankle injury, though to practice jukpshoots with that. Final note, heading into college the highest knock was his outside shooting. His sbooting at OK. St. Was a surprise. I think he's a grinder and he'll be worthy of the #1 pick. :)
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#668 » by God Squad » Mon Nov 8, 2021 8:52 am

babyjax13 wrote:
RollingWave wrote:

There's various level of bust yeah? non of them have to go full Jabari Parker / Marvin Bagely to count as bust, but if you use a top 5 pick you're kinda disappointed if he's not at least a borderline all-star right? But in terms of just the player type, its true that Suggs hsas a higher chance to end up just being some decent but not great player right? like a worse Jrue Holiday or something, that's what... like a slightly different version of Ricky Rubio?

Suggs can shoot and isn't the same level of passer. I think something between say ... Bledsoe and Holiday is pretty likely. Maybe early career Holiday is the comp. I actually don't think that's too bad for the 5th pick, but it would be a lesser player than I expect if he ends up closer to early career Jrue than Jrue now.

Since when? Not in the NBA, that's for sure.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#669 » by babyjax13 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 5:09 pm

God Squad wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
RollingWave wrote:There's various level of bust yeah? non of them have to go full Jabari Parker / Marvin Bagely to count as bust, but if you use a top 5 pick you're kinda disappointed if he's not at least a borderline all-star right? But in terms of just the player type, its true that Suggs hsas a higher chance to end up just being some decent but not great player right? like a worse Jrue Holiday or something, that's what... like a slightly different version of Ricky Rubio?

Since when? Not in the NBA, that's for sure.

We are less than 10 games into the season. He is shooting 85% from the line, I fully expect the rest of his percentages to rise. He shot 34% in college, which is not great, but he has a nice looking stroke, IMO, and his shot is going to fall.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,388

Post#670 » by Big J » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:40 am

What is going with this dude?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#671 » by MotownMadness » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:54 am

Big J wrote:What is going with this dude?

You're obsessed with him to fail, don't disappear once he gets it going
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,095

Post#672 » by The Moose » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:00 am

MotownMadness wrote:

yeah I mean Cade hasn't been good, its fair to criticise him but this dude's posts are completely disingenuous. He was shilling for Jalen Green super hard leading up to the draft in every thread. However, funnily enough haven't seen him bump a Green thread and ask 'what is going with this dude' given the fact Green is averaging 14ppg on 35/28/77 splits with 3 turnovers, non existant defense and a 7 PER.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#673 » by babyjax13 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:17 am

The Moose wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

yeah I mean Cade hasn't been good, its fair to criticise him but this dude's posts are completely disingenuous. He was shilling for Jalen Green super hard leading up to the draft in every thread. However, funnily enough haven't seen him bump a Green thread and ask 'what is going with this dude' given the fact Green is averaging 14ppg on 35/28/77 splits with 3 turnovers, non existant defense and a 7 PER.

Yup. The truth is about two rookies every season actually contribute to wins, and honestly one of them is usually a rookie with a small role that just fills it really well. It's all about seeing guys do promising things and develop consistency throughout the year. Cade is coming back from injury, we all know this, he didn't get a lot of the preseason prep other guys did, and he is going to be keyed in on. With all of those things together, it's not a surprise he is 'struggling' (just like Green is 'struggling' even without injuries).

JColl
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 25,851

Post#674 » by azcatz11 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:49 am

MotownMadness wrote:

Is he the one who claimed to know him or whatever a few months ago? :lol:
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,128

Post#675 » by clyde21 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:57 am

he's a rookie playing the 7th game of his career.

anymore stupid questions?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#676 » by MotownMadness » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:58 am

azcatz11 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

Is he the one who claimed to know him or whatever a few months ago? :lol:

I believe so
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,388

Post#677 » by Big J » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:24 am

clyde21 wrote:

We were made to believe he was the next Luka, so yea…
clyde21
RealGM

Post#678 » by clyde21 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:25 am

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

We were made to believe he was the next Luka, so yea…

link?
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#679 » by DCasey91 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:09 am

Big J give it a rest. It’s going to take me another month to let the Jalen Green enamored replaced with dissatisfaction feeling to be put to rest (by Christmas I’ll be over it).

I knew Mobley was special which does cover all of my pleasure for this years rookies lol but damn Green is really on his low end variance isn’t he? That’s a mistake I’ll happily learn from.

Anyway to Cade he’ll be fine. Posters here get things wrong all the time. Hindsight is easy. Gloating is far worse
clyde21
RealGM

Post#680 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:24 am

25/8/8/2

what is going on with this dude?

Return to NBA Draft