Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#121 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:02 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:I see Quick has once again fallen back into his histrionics phase as he uses phrases like 'crumbling franchise'.

he's been pretty decent lately but there's hyperbole in his blood

I think you can make a case there's been some crumbling of Blazer quality since PA died. That will happen under an absentee landlord

And some people here thought Paul was too meddling, in particular with his love of certain players and his overpaying instead of letting people go. Some people lit him up for those traits. I think we need more than three years to see how good of an owner Jody Allen will be for the team. We know she attends plenty of home games and goes on road games sometimes, she probably don't have the intense love for basketball that Paul did but sometimes love takes time to grow and that she's been willing to shell out money where needed should be a good sign.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#122 » by monopoman » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:07 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:I see Quick has once again fallen back into his histrionics phase as he uses phrases like 'crumbling franchise'.

I think you can make a case there's been some crumbling of Blazer quality since PA died. That will happen under an absentee landlord

And some people here thought Paul was too meddling, in particular with his love of certain players and his overpaying instead of letting people go. Some people lit him up for those traits. I think we need more than three years to see how good of an owner Jody Allen will be for the team. We know she attends plenty of home games and goes on road games sometimes, she probably don't have the intense love for basketball that Paul did but sometimes love takes time to grow and that she's been willing to shell out money where needed should be a good sign.

Yeah, if she was completely uninterested in the Blazers she would have either sold the team, or not paid Powell. Paying Powell was a huge commitment to winning now, sure it's not the most head turning signing around but we didn't lose Trent for nothing. Plenty of franchises would have scoffed at that Powell contract when Lillard+CJ+Nurk were already a huge portion of the salary cap.

Now, I think Powell was signed with the intention of a possible CJ trade, but so far we haven't seen that barring some rumors of CJ being talked about in potential trades this off-season.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#123 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:44 am

Wizenheimer wrote:

sorry...not buying it. I don't need more time to judge if Seattle is engaged with the Blazers like PA was. It's not even close in my view

the only real PA meddling may have been with Darius Miles. Paul was certainly used a lot as an excuse for Olshey's bad moves though...the devil made him do it
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#124 » by monopoman » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:45 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

sorry...not buying it. I don't need more time to judge if Seattle is engaged with the Blazers like PA was. It's not even close in my view

the only real PA meddling may have been with Darius Miles. Paul was certainly used a lot as an excuse for Olshey's bad moves though...the devil made him do it

We will never know the full extent of what PA was a part of, we know for a fact that he loved the Blazers though and wanted more than anything to bring a championship to Portland.

His meddling is all speculation, and I have a feeling in the Whitsitt era it was more likely to happen.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#125 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:38 pm

another story:

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/2021/11/former-trail-blazers-employees-say-neil-olshey-berated-intimidated-staffers-you-tried-not-to-be-around-him.html

mostly more of the same essentially confirming Olshey was an AHole to people he had power over. I know some have excused this behavior as "management style" but I think that's BS. It's not style to lack basic human decency. It's just bad character

I had my own employees for 25-30 years. Not many, usually no more than 3 or 4, sometimes 5, sometimes 2. Was in construction so there was a tendency for high turnover. Most were good employees, some weren't. But I never berated any of them or called them names. Not one time. It's not only unnecessary, it's unproductive...it's stupid. Yeah, I had to fire somebody every once in a while, but even that action can be handled compassionately, even though a couple of times I was tempted to get in some parting shots...but didn't

there was one "high level" employee mentioned in the article that had good things to say about Olshey. Whoever it was wanted to remain anonymous which is a little strange, although maybe that's due to woke/cancel culture...I don't know. But that could just be the exception that proves the rule. I'd also be curious to know how high-level he/she was. It could easily be that Olshey had two standards of conduct: one for people who might be at his level some day or who might be able to do something for him; and the other standard (of abuse) for everybody else
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#126 » by Case2012 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:43 pm

Read on Twitter
Instagram: @casetwelve
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#127 » by GEE » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:23 pm

Is it ironic that Neil is a former Soap actor, and our team is beginning to be as filled with drama as the Dallas Cowboys?

My biggest concern overall, is that we are likely dead in the water right now as far as operations go. I hope this gets fixed fast. (Like Candyman) Danny Ainge, Danny Ainge, Danny Ainge.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#128 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:44 pm

Case2012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't think this is as much Olshey fighting for his job, but rather him not conceding any money because if he gets fired because of this investigation it will likely be a long time (if ever) before he's making 8 million a year for any NBA team. He might be near unemployable by any NBA team, especially if the investigation confirms what all the rumors suggest it will

I'd wonder if the Vulcans would ever release the results of the investigation because it won't put them in a good light either
The Sebastian Express

Post#129 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:50 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Yeah, but wiz, you also subscribe to conspiracy theories about why things are happening in the team without any factual basis. Because of how you perceive people to be.

I'm pretty sure it was reported at the time that the reason the Allen Crabbe deal was matched was because Allen loved him so much. And I have seen many posters here throughout the year lambast Paul for being too involved and too in love with the players we drafted. And reasons as why we held onto them too long even when it was clear they weren't panning out.

What I see with Jody Allen is someone who is showing a willingness to spend to a degree, who did not immediately try to clean house despite coming in as a 'new' owner, who is showing up and supporting the team at home and on the road. Who is willing to pay and devote longterm contracts to players and coaches. Who was involved in the coaching search to a degree and who is willing to listen to complaints.

It's fine that you don't buy it, but I think it's important to weigh that against what you do buy. Like where you venture at the start of this thread that maybe this is a ploy by Vulcan to just get him fired with just cause, so they could save money by not paying him. There's no basis for that at all in any of the reporting, but you jumped out to present that as a plausible idea.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#130 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:44 am

Yeah, but wiz, you also subscribe to conspiracy theories about why things are happening in the team without any factual basis. Because of how you perceive people to be.

I'm pretty sure it was reported at the time that the reason the Allen Crabbe deal was matched was because Allen loved him so much.

irony meet conspiracy. If you have a link on Crabbe that isn't just speculation, let me know

Blazers gave out 340M in contracts that year. Did PA tell Olshey to give 106M to CJ; 70M to Turner; 41M to Meyers; 40M to Harkless; and 11M to Ezeli?

but more than that, are you saying that the Vulcans are better owners than PA?
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#131 » by DusterBuster » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:22 am

Wizenheimer wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was reported at the time that the reason the Allen Crabbe deal was matched was because Allen loved him so much.

irony meet conspiracy. If you have a link on Crabbe that isn't just speculation, let me know

Blazers gave out 340M in contracts that year. Did PA tell Olshey to give 106M to CJ; 70M to Turner; 41M to Meyers; 40M to Harkless; and 11M to Ezeli?

but more than that, are you saying that the Vulcans are better owners than PA?

Holy crap, I forgot he gave the 11mil to Ezeli for him to play literally 0 games for the team. I know the deal had a lot of protections on it, but yeesh…. That’s the worst single off-season I can think of from any team looking in hindsight. Many teams (the Kings) have been far more long term incompetent, but pretty insane how badly he botched that single summer.

The biggest sin tho imo for Olshey is failing to be willing/able to think big. That video Case showed… Olshey was right that FA will never been a serious player acquisition vehicle for Portland, but I also think that thinking has lead to Olshey putting a cap on what he thinks he can do in general with all player acquisition avenues (aside from draft I suppose)
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
GEE
Starter

Post#132 » by GEE » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:56 pm

I have a HUUUGGE Tin-Foil Hat, and I love to put it on occasionally, but I always admit it to be pure speculation, opinion or some crazy outside the box idea. Especially when the chatter is slow and since Olshey is so secretive with his moves, I like to explore less agreed upon ideas and possible motives, just for fun. I know the garbage I post isn't journalism by any stretch, but mostly just random ideas.

My favorite right now: The stretch to suggest that over the last year or so, Dame has realized the true POWER that he possess within this franchise and his showing/utilizing of such, has created a rift between Olshey and Dame. A Power Struggle in a super-high stakes league of multi-millionaires. Knowing that Dame can now ultimately decide Olshey's fate with a quick Twitter blast, can't feel very reassuring IMO. So what if Olshey, being the slime-ball that he is, while knowing he can't trade the Vulcan Cash-Cow to regain his authority, created the mess we're in (as far as the roster goes), EXPECTING Dame to become unhappy, while also secretly creating/nurturing a landing spot for him in Philly with the help of co-conspirator, Morey. Could this whole Olshey investigation be the result of a failed plan, or one that has backfired? Kevin Garnett says, "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE..."

If there's even 1% of truth to any of that I'd be surprised, but my point is, we as fans love to speculate, and the BS that we are fed through lazy sports reporting, Olshey's pressers, Dame's Twitter, etc. gives one reason to take a NCIS sort of view on things. Also... It's just fun... IMO!!!
GEE
Starter

Post#133 » by GEE » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:22 pm

...Or maybe it's a simple case of Olshey sucking at his job now due to the rest of the NBA catching wind that he is in fact a giant douche. I can imagine word eventually getting out amongst players, coaches, agents and others that Olshey is bad news, creating a plague-like effect for Olshey.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,526

Post#134 » by zzaj » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:41 am

JasonStern wrote:
zzaj wrote:Also, how have we not had a Jason Stern mock Olshey in all caps with some [throws water bottle] and [kicks over trash can]s added for realness?

Look, I am not going to waste my time discussing baseless allegations. The Blazers organization, including Jody Allen who is a the greatest owner in sports, already released a statement regarding this.

Thank you, Neil!
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,526

Post#135 » by zzaj » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:46 am

I’ve listened to, read, NONE of any of this because I want to believe my own fantasy:

Olshey is an A-hole and everyone knows it. Lillard knows he’s got the keys to the franchise, hates Olshey and knows full well his toxicity is holding the team back. Lillard approached Jody and says, “look…not sure how much of this you know, but Olshey has been holding us back for years—here’s why. Go interview any Blazer employee and see what they say. Either he goes or I go. I would rather he goes…”

I’ll choose to believe this is reality :lol:
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#136 » by DusterBuster » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:48 am

I know a lot of people have been thinking Olshey doesn’t survive this… I’m beginning to think he does. I’m starting to think the investigation will conclude, Olshey will then have some save-face interview about how he knows he rubs people the wrong way and he’s dedicated to being better… and nothing changes at all in the end.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,241

Post#137 » by wco81 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:11 am

DusterBuster wrote:I know a lot of people have been thinking Olshey doesn’t survive this… I’m beginning to think he does. I’m starting to think the investigation will conclude, Olshey will then have some save-face interview about how he knows he rubs people the wrong way and he’s dedicated to being better… and nothing changes at all in the end.

Worse case scenario, Allen has to eat the contract if the basketball people can convince her that they need to replace him ASAP.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#138 » by DusterBuster » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:34 am

wco81 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I know a lot of people have been thinking Olshey doesn’t survive this… I’m beginning to think he does. I’m starting to think the investigation will conclude, Olshey will then have some save-face interview about how he knows he rubs people the wrong way and he’s dedicated to being better… and nothing changes at all in the end.

Worse case scenario, Allen has to eat the contract if the basketball people can convince her that they need to replace him ASAP.

This would be quite possibly the dumbest thing possible they could do. Assuming the theory is correct that this investigation was just a way to look for reason to fire Olshey and not pay the rest of his contract, but then the investigation returns nothing and they still fire him... what self-respecting GM would take his spot? Who the hell wants to work for a company that - when they want to fire you - will start a full blown investigation into your ethics and drag your name through the mud for weeks, just for the chance to not pay you the remainder of your contract? They'll never be able to hire top-end talent for the front office ever again while an Allen and Vulcan own the team.

Basically, if the investigation comes back with no real wrongdoing that the team can take action on, they pretty much have no other option but to let him keep his job if he wants to in the near-term. Firing him immediately after the investigation would do far more long-term repetitional damage than letting Olshey manage the team for another year.

The earliest they could realistically fire him would be in the summer when the dust from this has settled and everyone has forgotten about it. Which, if the team continues to be as mediocre as they are, firing Olshey in the summer won't look at all unreasonable as it would doing it after an unfruitful conduct investigation.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#139 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:37 pm

well, since I got accused here of wild-ass, baseless, tin-foil hat speculation when I simply speculated that, maybe, the Vulcans were looking for a reason to fire Olshey 'with cause', there is this:

"Terms reported by the media like "toxic environment" and "hostile workplace" felt to rival GMs as a campaign to trigger a firing for "cause," presumably a tactic to set up the voiding of the remaining years and salary on Olshey's contract. That's what worries rival executives and has hastened the urgency of finalizing an association that could help support front-office executives in situations like the one unfolding in Portland."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32659703/nba-general-managers-forming-association-support-executives-amid-portland-trail-blazers-investigation-sources-say

it's from Woj. Two things about that: it's probably accurate in most facts, and it's almost certainly in some part coming from Olshey

now, in the off-chance that the Vulcans were actually engaged in a due-diligence, independent investigation of numerous charges and complaints, I'd think them suspecting that some of this may very well be coming from Olshey will rankle Seattle

I mean, if they really weren't intending to find a reason to fire 'with cause', rather just cover their legal liability, this might actually hurt Olshey's case, not help it. I don't think Olshey will be well-served by trying to back the Vulcans into a corner, and I don't think owners will take kindly to GM's essentially forming parts of a union....assuming that's what is happeneing
The Sebastian Express

Post#140 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:13 pm

No one said wild-ass, Wizenheimer, only that you came in here with speculation and conspiracy theories about this while dismissing criticism of the notion that Jody Allen doesn't pay (because she does) or that fans and media alike didn't previously criticize Paul Allen for overpaying/holding onto players regardless of GM (because he did and people did). Even now you're saying 'off-chance' that they might've been doing a legitimate investigation, despite admitting that this story is likely in part coming from Olshey (who the majority of us have agreed over the last nine plus years that he leaks data to Woj to get a positive spin).

I do find it funny, though, that the response here is to ramp up previously thrown around ideas for a legal fund for GMs rather than creating a workplace code of conduct. I'd expect they'd have the foresight to at least do both, but maybe they don't want to do the latter in case Olshey is found to have behaved poorly as accused and is dismissed.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers