ImageImageImage

Brown/Tatum

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

JT or JB?

Jaylen Brown
36%
Jayson Tatum
64%

Total votes: 70

FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 521

Re: Brown/Tatum 

Post#41 » by FrodoFraggins » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:13 am

Tatum has the goods but I don't trust him to stay or to really put winning over stats. Tatum seems too aloof and self absorbed to win with or count on.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#42 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Nov 6, 2021 9:39 am

Tatum. It's closer than one might assume, if we note that:
-- Brown tends to start the season as the better player, or at least as the one who's more poised and putting up better stats.
-- Tatum had outstanding, focused training as a kid, so the "Oh, wow, he's this good this young" observations don't have the force one might first think.

On the other hand:
-- The arguments about Tatum drawing more defensive attention than Brown have a lot of validity.
-- Tatum's length is a strong offset to Brown's run/jump superiority.
-- Now that he's more focused on it, Tatum is a much better passer than Brown. He's also always been a better jumper of passing lanes than Brown. So it seems as if he just sees the court better than Brown does.

So yeah. Tatum.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,797

Post#43 » by pac213up » Sat Nov 6, 2021 11:52 am

I choose Brown, he is far more athletic than Tatum, a better leader, and is just an overall more aggressive player. I am also concerned that now that the NBA is letting defenders actually defend, Tatum's lack of athleticism lowers his ceiling a bit. Brown is the better player in the league with how the game is being officiated right now. Tatum also reminds me a bit too much of Melo, a #1 that is a below average passer, never a great thing in this league. Brown is a #2 and fits the role perfectly.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 18,936

Post#44 » by Ben-N1ce » Sat Nov 6, 2021 1:35 pm

pac213up wrote:I choose Brown, he is far more athletic than Tatum, a better leader, and is just an overall more aggressive player. I am also concerned that now that the NBA is letting defenders actually defend, Tatum's lack of athleticism lowers his ceiling a bit. Brown is the better player in the league with how the game is being officiated right now. Tatum also reminds me a bit too much of Melo, a #1 that is a below average passer, never a great thing in this league. Brown is a #2 and fits the role perfectly.

Need Jaylen's attack mindset in Tatum..granted right now Tatum can't hit a layup right now anyway :D :-?
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#45 » by truth18 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 11:24 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:
pac213up wrote:I choose Brown, he is far more athletic than Tatum, a better leader, and is just an overall more aggressive player. I am also concerned that now that the NBA is letting defenders actually defend, Tatum's lack of athleticism lowers his ceiling a bit. Brown is the better player in the league with how the game is being officiated right now. Tatum also reminds me a bit too much of Melo, a #1 that is a below average passer, never a great thing in this league. Brown is a #2 and fits the role perfectly.

Need Jaylen's attack mindset in Tatum..granted right now Tatum can't hit a layup right now anyway :D :-?

I feel you lol.
YOU LOSE
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#46 » by captain green » Sun Nov 7, 2021 11:51 pm

I'm going brown for the record. Why cause I see more of what you can't teach in brown over Tatum. Tatum has the ability to be way better maybe. But brown has grit fire and intelligence already built in. You can't teach that !!
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
truth18
RealGM

Post#47 » by truth18 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 11:56 pm

captain green wrote:I'm going brown for the record. Why cause I see more of what you can't teach in brown over Tatum. Tatum has the ability to be way better maybe. But brown has grit fire and intelligence already built in. You can't teach that !!

Definitely see your point. Both can have questionable leadership qualities but Brown does have that "it" factor.
YOU LOSE
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#48 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Nov 8, 2021 12:18 am

truth18 wrote:
captain green wrote:I'm going brown for the record. Why cause I see more of what you can't teach in brown over Tatum. Tatum has the ability to be way better maybe. But brown has grit fire and intelligence already built in. You can't teach that !!

Definitely see your point. Both can have questionable leadership qualities but Brown does have that "it" factor.

The Juice factor.

Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,555

Post#49 » by Shak_Celts » Mon Nov 8, 2021 12:55 am

This is easy, the better player is Tatum. I still like Jaylen a lot more, but don't ask me crazy questions like this.

Glad we have both, this really doesn't matter.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#50 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Nov 8, 2021 1:07 am

The Comedian wrote:
truth18 wrote:

The Juice factor.

Please never refer to a non-murderer as "The Juice". Please don't even risk being misconstrued as doing so.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Post#51 » by BK_2020 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:23 pm

Tatum has had multiple 40+ games and dropped 60 and 50 in the playoffs, and people be out here saying Tatum needs Jaylen's attack mindset.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#52 » by ddb » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:47 pm

this thread is pretty silly because I don't think we need to choose between the two. I'd imagine Brad Stevens remains super high on both of these players. They aren't the problem. The problem is a lack of shooting around them. When shots are falling, the Celtics win. If I'm Brad I'm tinkering with the roster over the next few months and building a bit better around the J's. This past offseason seemed like Stevens was more focused on getting the team in a more flexible cap situation.....the Horford deal, the Smart/Richardson/Timelord extensions give Brad flexibility...those are moveable contracts/players.

As far as the J's go... Keep them both. With a gun to my head I choose to keep Tatum > Brown. Tatum has shown us superstar performances. I'm not thrown off by his slow start....He'll be fine. He was fine in the last game against Dallas. I love Brown but his injuries are starting to pile up.....I just think after awhile the injuries are less "flukey" and more of an actual problem.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#53 » by jmr07019 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:53 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
truth18 wrote:

The Juice factor.

Please never refer to a non-murderer as "The Juice". Please don't even risk being misconstrued as doing so.

Eh. You got at least 2 generations of people who never saw OJ play a down. Juice is a fun nick name. OJ doesn't get to own it forever.
Show Love Spread Love
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#54 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Nov 9, 2021 2:51 am

jmr07019 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
The Juice factor.

Eh. You got at least 2 generations of people who never saw OJ play a down. Juice is a fun nick name. OJ doesn't get to own it forever.

I, on the other hand, recall him putting a dagger (metaphorical only at that point in his life) into my team in college, and having the whole thing relived in great detail because his team was local to me as well. ;)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,858

Post#55 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Nov 9, 2021 3:35 am

Read on Twitter

He's basically the new Tatum.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,858

Post#56 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Nov 9, 2021 2:03 pm

When is Tatum turning into Curry? I just want the Cs to win a title again.
Read on Twitter
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#57 » by jmr07019 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 9:20 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's basically the new Tatum.

This is big! Was the area I was most hoping to see Brown improve on this year. Small sample so let's hope it continues. If it does and Tatum's shooting %'s revert back to the mean we will be in pretty good shape. Both this year and in the future.
Show Love Spread Love
truth18
RealGM

Post#58 » by truth18 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:38 pm

Man we look way better with Brown out honestly.
YOU LOSE
Above The Rim
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#59 » by Above The Rim » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:32 am

Tatum’s game this year reminds me so much of present day Paul George. I think George has those difficult shots down better but he has 8 years on Tatum. I think that play style is a good way to conserve your body but it’s a little disappointing knowing what Tatum can do when he drives to the hoop often and goes all out. Overall give me Brown’s night in and night out effort
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#60 » by wco81 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:24 am

Slax wrote:Tatum seems like more of a cavatelli guy and Brown seems like more of a fettuccine guy and I think the conclusions are obvious

So they both like noodles?

Don't they have a dietician controlling their carbs?

Return to Boston Celtics