Do you still want/need dragic?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Do you still want/need dragic? 

Post#21 » by arkuo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:25 pm

gottamakeit wrote:
arkuo wrote:The thing wih Dragic is he's only a half year rental. He will scoot right back to Miami. Getting him would take minutes away from Brunson. And I want to see what Brunson is capable of with heavy minutes before he gets that large new contract. Do you really want to sign Brunson to $18M per without seeing a full season of heavy minutes with him first? You only get to do that IF he gets the position to himself. Not giving it to old man Dragic. It's too risky IMO.

Agreed on all point. Mavs got to think long-term with this. We're not contending this year.
I'd only take Dragic as injury insurance at this point. If he wants to play more meaningful minutes, then Dragic should go play for a contender (assuming he's bought out).

Agreed. Dragic's value right now is just sentimental IMO. Just fans wanting players from the same country to unite. It's a feel good story, but it does nothing for Dallas long term. You invest in Brunson, but you gotta see if he can be consistent with heavy minutes first. That's a huge contract waiting to happen IMO. You cant risk tying that amount to an unknown commodity.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,809

Post#22 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:18 pm

Apz wrote:Dragic is done. Calling him a huge upgrade is a stretch. If they buy him out or take powell burke i can see it

Great PO experience and leadership, don't you remember last 2 years against Clips?

He will be very usefull for 10/15 minutes when Luka is on the bench.
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,395

Post#23 » by gottamakeit » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:34 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
Apz wrote:Dragic is done. Calling him a huge upgrade is a stretch. If they buy him out or take powell burke i can see it

Great PO experience and leadership, don't you remember last 2 years against Clips?

He'll be 36 by the time playoffs roll around. Wouldn't you rather see what we have in Brunson and Frank rather than a guy that won't be in our long term plans?
Remember that we have a finite amount of minutes to dole out.
Even if he proves valuable now, he'll retire by the time we're actually competing for the chip.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:29 pm

gottamakeit wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

He'll be 36 by the time playoffs roll around. Wouldn't you rather see what we have in Brunson and Frank rather than a guy that won't be in our long term plans?
Even if he proves valuable now, he'll retire by the time we're actually competing for the chip.

Dragic could be a good mentor for Brunson and Frank too.
Dallas is a no where team this season, if Dragic helps us to win a PO serie i'm fine with trade for him.
Obviously for a low cost.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#25 » by ejs78 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:59 pm

With Luka set to miss some time this is why you get another PG. I like Frank but he's not on the same level as Dragic on somethings offensively. Yes he's 36 but he's only going to be playing a small role or an increased one when someone gets hurt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,010

Post#26 » by Mr B » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:47 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

Dallas is a no where team this season, if Dragic helps us to win a PO serie i'm fine with trade for him.

I don’t think I agree that this is a nowhere team. In spite of getting off to a rough start their record has been pretty good. They’re in 3rd place at the moment and if they continue to improve (which they have over the last two games) they could be one of the top seeds when the playoffs get here. Adding a veteran PG with playoff experience and a high BB IQ would only help. As I said earlier, especially if all you’re giving up is Powell and Burke.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:21 am

Mr B wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

I don’t think I agree that this is a nowhere team. In spite of getting off to a rough start their record has been pretty good. They’re in 3rd place at the moment and if they continue to improve (which they have over the last two games) they could be one of the top seeds when the playoffs get here. Adding a veteran PG with playoff experience and a high BB IQ would only help. As I said earlier, especially if all you’re giving up is Powell and Burke.

Ok we are 3th in the west but with an easy schedule plus Denver injuries.
I don't think we could have the home court in PO and than another first round exit is probably.
Hope i'm wrong but Bullock and Brown aren't enough.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#28 » by arkuo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:04 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

If you're juat signing Dragic to be a good mentor to Brunson, then there is no one better to learn from other than Luka himself. Trading for Dragic now doesnt do anything to Dallas long term.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#29 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:11 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

Ok we are 3th in the west but with an easy schedule plus Denver injuries.
I don't think we could have the home court in PO and than another first round exit is probably.
Hope i'm wrong but Bullock and Brown aren't enough.

I’m still anticipating they will make a move at the trade deadline. Not sure how significant a move but it feels like they will make a move.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#30 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:18 am

arkuo wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

If you're juat signing Dragic to be a good mentor to Brunson, then there is no one better to learn from other than Luka himself. Trading for Dragic now doesnt do anything to Dallas long term.

As good as Luka is he’s still only 22 years old. Sure he’s been playing since he was 16 but he doesn’t have anywhere near the experience that Dragic has. And technically he would be a rental because he’s on an expiring contract but he’s very likely resigning with Dallas this off season (for much less). So it’s not like he’s only going to be here for half a season. Plus if you can dump the last year of Powell’s contract why not?
arkuo
General Manager

Post#31 » by arkuo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:19 pm

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

As good as Luka is he’s still only 22 years old. Sure he’s been playing since he was 16 but he doesn’t have anywhere near the experience that Dragic has. And technically he would be a rental because he’s on an expiring contract but he’s very likely resigning with Dallas this off season (for much less). So it’s not like he’s only going to be here for half a season. Plus if you can dump the last year of Powell’s contract why not?

Dont you want to see if Brunson is capable of with heavy minutes first before signing him to a big new contract?

In terms of pressing matters, Brunson is one. Because A- he's the one in a Dallas jersey right now, and B- because his new contract would likely last 4 years. Dragic wont even be in the league by then. My point is, I want Cuban to get this Brunson signing right. Make sure he's starting material first before tossing $85M his way. Because if he sucks, he's a 6 foot Dwight Powell in the making. Getting Dragic would eat up minutes at that spot. In terms of resources, I think a Dwight Powell replacement at PF/C is more likely a priority?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#32 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:38 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Dont you want to see if Brunson is capable of with heavy minutes first before signing him to a big new contract?

In terms of pressing matters, Brunson is one. Because A- he's the one in a Dallas jersey right now, and B- because his new contract would likely last 4 years. Dragic wont even be in the league by then. My point is, I want Cuban to get this Brunson signing right. Make sure he's starting material first before tossing $85M his way. Because if he sucks, he's a 6 foot Dwight Powell in the making. Getting Dragic would eat up minutes at that spot. In terms of resources, I think a Dwight Powell replacement at PF/C is more likely a priority?

Dragic won’t take any significant minutes from Brunson. Everyone has seen what Brunson can do and adding a season vet with NBA playoff experience is only going to help Brunson. It would also help guys like Ntilikina. There are so many things that I’m sure Dragic knows just from his years in the NBA that would really help the young PG’a on this team, that includes Luka. Dragic would be like having a coach on the court. It’s not much different than when the Mavs brought in Kidd (the player). There’s really no downside to bringing Dragic in, especially when you consider the cost.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#33 » by SOUNDCHASER » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:29 pm

I’d be ok w Dragic being here if it just took Powell and burke. Anything more and it’s wait and see if he gets cut time. No pics whatsoever. No substitutions of players offered at all, you can take it or leave it.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#34 » by matt6715 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:41 pm

Raps will buy him out and he'll sign here, or he'll get moved in a trade to Miami. I don't see us trading for him.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#35 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:11 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:I’d be ok w Dragic being here if it just took Powell and burke. Anything more and it’s wait and see if he gets cut time. No pics whatsoever. No substitutions of players offered at all, you can take it or leave it.

Yea I wouldn’t give up anything/anyone significant for Dragic but I’d love to have him on the Mavs.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:18 pm

Yes of course, nobody want give asset for Dragic...maybe a 2RP (we can't draft anyway).

Having a guy like him in the locker room is a good plus mostly in PO.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#37 » by LAL1947 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:50 am

canada_dry wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Powell is yours...
Lol thanks for that i guess.

Hows he looked? I know hes struggled playing in the starting 5 alongside porzingis (essentially 2 centers). But hows he looked athletically post Achilles? Do u think he'd be a better fit in a bench role playing without another 5 on the floor?

If hes looking fine athletically, u got a deal imo. That probably wasnt the case before the season started.

Powell is looking fine athletically IMO.

On a separate note, I'm wondering if there's a deal to be had of Precious Achiuwa + filler (such as Yutanabe, Svi or Bonga) for Josh Green and Moses Brown.

Reason I ask is because Achiuwa seems surplus to requirements in Toronto as he's too small to play at the 5... and Toronto also has Siakam, OG, Barnes and Boucher for the forward spots. Achiuwa could be helpful to the Mavs at the 4, allowing them to use Porzingis at the 5. Moses Brown gives Toronto a proper 7" center option... and Josh Green is an athletic, high-motor SG whose shot could be sorted out by Toronto's development staff.

Luka (Brunson), THJ (Sterling), DFS (Bullock), Kleber (Achiuwa), Porzingis (WCS)
FVV (Banton), Trent (Josh), OG (Barnes), Siakam (Boucher), Birch (Moses)

Return to Dallas Mavericks