ImageImage

PG Lakers: Giannis is Pretty Pretty Good

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Wonka
General Manager
And1: 4,690

Re: PG Lakers: Giannis is Pretty Pretty Good 

Post#81 » by Wonka » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:09 pm

Semi is playing a career high 20 mpg in his first 10 games here and has nothing to show for it. What’s worse is that he genuinely hunts his own shot like he’s talented on that end of the floor which he clearly isn’t. It’s like he has a case of mistaken identity mixed with a jumper that looks different almost every time he takes one.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#82 » by buckboy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:23 pm

Agree on VC. Thought he was great. Not a huge Jones fan, but he's OK.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,910

Post#83 » by sidney lanier » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:32 pm

buckboy wrote:Agree on VC. Thought he was great. Not a huge Jones fan, but he's OK.

Speaking of announcers, I had to listen to part of the game last night on the car radio and was impressed with whoever that was doing play-by-play on the "BMO Harris Bucks Radio Network." I assume it was the guy they announced as Ted Davis's replacement, Dave Koehn. There was also an analyst guy who was very good.

I hate to keep harping on Lisa Byington, but her side comments, such as "Giannis does so many things besides scoring" are things that, if they came out of a buddy's mouth, you'd look at him funny. The radio guys I heard last night were knowledgeable basketball observers who not only didn't say stupidly obvious things, but actually said some smart things.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Chad34
RealGM
And1: 5,198

Post#84 » by Chad34 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:44 pm

so has anyone mentioned Giannis post game comments on Brook? He seemed pretty confident he'd be back soon. "In a fews days, weeks Brooks is going to be with us".
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#85 » by LUKE23 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:58 pm

Chad34 wrote:so has anyone mentioned Giannis post game comments on Brook? He seemed pretty confident he'd be back soon. "In a fews days, weeks Brooks is going to be with us".

Him saying both days and weeks in the same quote isn't that encouraging.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,721

Post#86 » by tydett » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:01 pm

emunney wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:Watched ESPN broadcast last night to take a break from Lisa cause Vince and Mark Jones are pretty good duo

But, of course in the halftime and postgame SAS, Wilbon are all just talking about how terrible AD is and nothing about how good Giannis is. I'll never be surprised, but on a night like Giannis had, it's just tiring.

I was just about to say VC is already one of the better analysts. I have so much admiration for that guy's journey, from perennial all-star, to top shelf role-player, now to this 3rd act. Rare for guys with his gifts to have such a humble approach to their craft.

Really cool. Didn't even realize it was Vince sometimes because it was so natural. Dude was cashing checks from Atlanta 18 months ago.

Meanwhile, somewhere a network exec continues to employ Mark Jackson.
Chad34
RealGM
And1: 5,198

Post#87 » by Chad34 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:15 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
Chad34 wrote:so has anyone mentioned Giannis post game comments on Brook? He seemed pretty confident he'd be back soon. "In a fews days, weeks Brooks is going to be with us".

Him saying both days and weeks in the same quote isn't that encouraging.

I guess I just heard few in front of it, thinking worse case scenario he's back in 2-3 weeks, and he said it with some confidence, which would indicate he has some knowledge that it's not going to be too long term.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#88 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:32 pm

JEIS wrote:AD was looking like he is on the Dwight Howard trajectory. Maybe that LA lifestyle does hinder some folks?

The past year has given me some confidence, but it seems like some of these big men have really early primes. Not going off stats or deep research but Davis, Griffin (Steep decline after 29), Howard (peeked at 28 and declined fast), Jordan (steep decline after 28 but could have just been CP), Drummond (looks washed up at 28), Hibbert (Multiple time allstar at 27, washed at 29), Cousins (Done at 27 due to injuries), Embiid (Peaked....oh too soon?)

Obviously, there are counter examples but there is no given Giannis will get better or even maintain his dominance over the next few years. I think he will and hope he will but it wouldn't shock me if this is prime Giannis and he slowly declines or has steep declines due to injuries. He's a big guy that plays fast, he's just been extremely lucky with injuries so far.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#89 » by emunney » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:44 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
JEIS wrote:AD was looking like he is on the Dwight Howard trajectory. Maybe that LA lifestyle does hinder some folks?

The past year has given me some confidence, but it seems like some of these big men have really early primes. Not going off stats or deep research but Davis, Griffin (Steep decline after 29), Howard (peeked at 28 and declined fast), Jordan (steep decline after 28 but could have just been CP), Drummond (looks washed up at 28), Hibbert (Multiple time allstar at 27, washed at 29), Cousins (Done at 27 due to injuries), Embiid (Peaked....oh too soon?)

Obviously, there are counter examples but there is no given Giannis will get better or even maintain his dominance over the next few years. I think he will and hope he will but it wouldn't shock me if this is prime Giannis and he slowly declines or has steep declines due to injuries. He's a big guy that plays fast, he's just been extremely lucky with injuries so far.

I have long believed that the keys to NBA longevity are a combination of physical gifts, intelligence, and work ethic. The gifts help you hang longer with the kids, the work ethic diversifies your game and helps you to adapt and compensate for physical decline, and the intelligence directs the effort.

I look at Giannis and the way he continues to grow and improve, and I look at some of the other guys you mentioned, who not only declined early, but plateaued long before that (Dwight stopped improving once he physically matured, for example), and it makes me feel very good about where Giannis is heading.

I'd say Blake is categorically different from those other guys, as his decline is totally injuries, and his skill level and intelligence are what's keeping him in the league. His knees are just 20 years older than the rest of his body.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM

Post#90 » by emunney » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:56 pm

(I'm hoping he's not, but I suspect Embiid is on the Blake path.)
emunney
RealGM

Post#91 » by emunney » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:27 pm

It's too bad that assistant HS basketball coach wasn't able to get his notes to AD about how easy Giannis is to defend.
emunney
RealGM

Post#92 » by emunney » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:29 pm

How many times did Melo fail during this sequence? Jesus Christ.

Read on Twitter
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,365

Post#93 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:48 pm

Old Melo makes Jabari look like an engaged defender.
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#94 » by truly » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:51 pm

AD plays soft.Even worse,he looks like he will fall apart if he actually plays hard.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
emunney
RealGM

Post#95 » by emunney » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 pm

truly wrote:AD plays soft.Even worse,he looks like he will fall apart if he actually plays hard.

They kept showing the play where he got hurt and it was not possible to see where he got hurt. Not a great sign!
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,479

Post#96 » by old skool » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:48 pm

Giannis is a much better player than when he won his MVPs. Less reliance on high flying athleticism and more use of strength, quickness and length. Fewer dunks, more layups. The fade away is becoming more reliable. His passing is better. He knows where his teammates are and he trusts them. He stopped committing a ton of offensive fouls. He is working hard and not resting on his laurels. Teams that are focused on stopping MVP Giannis will be destroyed by the 2021-22 Giannis.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,479

Post#97 » by old skool » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:59 pm

I think the Bucks are in a good place. Lopez will take over for Portis. Portis will take the bench role currently occupied by Ojeleye and Nwora. Hill will still get spot minutes, but some of his minutes will go to DiVincenzo. That will also give Connaughton a chance to reduce his minutes.

Fully healthy, the Bucks have a solid 9 man rotation. The end of bench fringe players will be get some minutes in case they are needed, but realistically they should only be there in a last resort emergency.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,764

Post#98 » by Plossum » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:13 pm

Wonka wrote:Semi is playing a career high 20 mpg in his first 10 games here and has nothing to show for it. What’s worse is that he genuinely hunts his own shot like he’s talented on that end of the floor which he clearly isn’t. It’s like he has a case of mistaken identity mixed with a jumper that looks different almost every time he takes one.

Did we really expect any different though? He's the same player he was in Boston for the past 4 years. He's just not that good. Once Brook and Donte are back on deck he'll be battling for that 10th man spot with Nwora and not playing much.
#LockUpChuck
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Post#99 » by drone3 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:08 am

Plossum wrote:
Wonka wrote:Semi is playing a career high 20 mpg in his first 10 games here and has nothing to show for it. What’s worse is that he genuinely hunts his own shot like he’s talented on that end of the floor which he clearly isn’t. It’s like he has a case of mistaken identity mixed with a jumper that looks different almost every time he takes one.

Did we really expect any different though? He's the same player he was in Boston for the past 4 years. He's just not that good. Once Brook and Donte are back on deck he'll be battling for that 10th man spot with Nwora and not playing much.
Cheick Diallo>Thanasis>Semi
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,792

Post#100 » by VooDoo7 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:20 am

JimmyTheKid wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:Giannis is a God. God's deserve better crowds/fans. If he leaves, that's why. Probably not, but probably.

We still doing this?

Not in the history of sport has a city shown out the way Milwaukee did for last year's postseason. But we're still doing this. Coolcoolcool.

The Fiserv crowd is an absolute joke. It just is. Not sure why people get so upset when it's brought up.

This last game was a microcosm of what it's like.

Besides it just being dead quiet over the course of the game:

Giannis scores 17 in the 1st quarter. With 1:30 left in the quarter, Bud takes him out. As he's walking to the bench you could hear a pin drop in the arena. ANY OTHER ARENA is giving that player a standing ovation. Just pathetic.

Lakers at the FT line, dead silent.

Buzzer sounds, Bucks beat LA. Arena sounded like it was empty.

Did the fans show up for the Finals? Sure. I even commented on it at the time. The people you see in the Deer District aren't the same fans you see in the arena.

Giannis himself begged the damn fans to be more loud at the games! Chris Weber commented how quiet the fans are.

Why you all keep making excuses for it is beyond me.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks