ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO JALEN SUGGS!!!! 

Post#961 » by Def Swami » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#962 » by Horcy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:00 am

I'm so happy for Jalen. He was evidently on pain on that foot and he has played hia ass off until the end of the match. Outstanding job by Suggs. Kudos to him
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#963 » by RookieStar » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:43 am

Horcy wrote:I'm so happy for Jalen. He was evidently on pain on that foot and he has played hia ass off until the end of the match. Outstanding job by Suggs. Kudos to him

He was in pain? Where wqs this reported? Don't think with our injury history we should chance it with suggs..
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,644

Post#965 » by thelead » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:31 pm

Absolutely terrible. I'm fine with dropping Suggs down but players like Kuminga and Bouknight (especially Bouknight) have barely played any to have any sort of idea of where they should be redrafted.

Kuminga over Franz right now is just stupid.

Also, how is Duarte not in the top 10?
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 583

Post#966 » by MasterGMer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:57 pm

Suggs is going to be fine. He showed improvement last game. What he needs to do is keep attacking the rim. His shots are going to come and his defense is valuable. He just needs to refine his offensive skill in PnR and dribble pull up games. He is going to be fine
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#967 » by The Effect » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:08 pm

Im sorry.......But what flashes has Kuminga shown?? Honest question, not trying to be an ass, but what has he shown? he plays 8 mins a game, has a career high of 9 points, 1-7 from 3 and hasnt shown anything positive in the few warriors games ive watch. To put him ahead of Suggs is a mistake, to put him over wagner is an absolute joke. Wagner has been one of the 3 best rookies this year and is the same age as everyone else in this class.

In a re-draft, we would be lucky to end up with the same 2 guys
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#968 » by MasterGMer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:13 pm

This would be a joke. Suggs probably has one of the highest ceiling among all rookies. He is improving and he will be fine.

His shots are going to be better. Just by looking at Cole's growth from rookie to 2nd year, Cole is our highest scorer now, wow!

Suggs biggest attribute, besides defense, could be getting to the hoop and pull up the mid ranges. Those skills are not among everybody.

I'd draft him at 5 all over again
Horcy
Lead Assistant

Post#969 » by Horcy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:46 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Horcy wrote:I'm so happy for Jalen. He was evidently on pain on that foot and he has played hia ass off until the end of the match. Outstanding job by Suggs. Kudos to him

He was in pain? Where wqs this reported? Don't think with our injury history we should chance it with suggs..

didn’t you see how he walked after the interview?

our management is not necessary good on reporting injuries. I just mentioned what I saw
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#970 » by RookieStar » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:53 pm

Horcy wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

didm’t you ser how he has walked after the interview?

our management is not necessary good on reporting injuries. I just mentioned what I saw

nope didn't see the interview. Well.. hopefully it's just nothing.
Horcy
Lead Assistant

Post#971 » by Horcy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:57 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Horcy wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

didm’t you ser how he has walked after the interview?

nope didn't see the interview. Well.. hopefully it's just nothing.

ankle is not knee. ankles are noble. unless you’re Grant Hill in a Magic uniform…
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,548

Post#972 » by mpharris36 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:03 pm

Question having an argument with the validity of some advanced box score statistic. I have watched Suggs enough to know he has struggled offensively but he has been really good defensively.

For example DBPM has Suggs rated like the 4th worst defender in the NBA (which I find a joke - but then again I don't care for that stat)

RAPTOR which I like much more which also factors in the on/off splits so its more realistic to the individual players defense has suggs one of top 25 defenders currently in the sport.

Seems pretty crazy to have two advance box score statistic be so far to each extreme.

I know its tough to take advance stats at face value (especially on defense) and I have watched him enough to believe he is more the better defender then a bad defender. Would you guys consider him your best defender already? Obviously, healthy, Isaac is also one of the premier defenders in the sport too.

Could set up some interesting lineups with Suggs/Wagner/Isaac being able to disrupt the game at every level in the future.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#973 » by basketballRob » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:21 pm

mpharris36 wrote:Question having an argument with the validity of some advanced box score statistic. I have watched Suggs enough to know he has struggled offensively but he has been really good defensively.

For example DBPM has Suggs rated like the 4th worst defender in the NBA (which I find a joke - but then again I don't care for that stat)

RAPTOR which I like much more which also factors in the on/off splits so its more realistic to the individual players defense has suggs one of top 25 defenders currently in the sport.

Seems pretty crazy to have two advance box score statistic be so far to each extreme.

I know its tough to take advance stats at face value (especially on defense) and I have watched him enough to believe he is more the better defender then a bad defender. Would you guys consider him your best defender already? Obviously, healthy, Isaac is also one of the premier defenders in the sport too.

Could set up some interesting lineups with Suggs/Wagner/Isaac being able to disrupt the game at every level in the future.
The DBPM from Basketball Reference depicts more of a team stat than a individual's stats.

If you went by Basketball Reference, Mo Bamba has been fantastic since he's been in the league and that's not true. His rookie season his net rating according to NBA.com was like -15 but BR showed he was a quality player.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#974 » by MasterGMer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:22 pm

mpharris36 wrote:Question having an argument with the validity of some advanced box score statistic. I have watched Suggs enough to know he has struggled offensively but he has been really good defensively.

If Isaac is back and Isaac is healthy, Isaac will start and maybe, Bamba will come off the bench.

Mosley is a defensive focused coach. Isaac will transform this tough defense already.

I like Cole/Suggs/Franz/Isaac/WCJ lineup.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#975 » by basketballRob » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:30 pm

Mosley probably remembers Isaac dominating Dallas.

Read on Twitter
?t=nMKisDI0hKvNSCHMm7Cknw&s=19

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#976 » by Xatticus » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:41 pm

Horcy wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

didn’t you see how he walked after the interview?

He rolled his ankle in the previous game he played in. He took a knee to the thigh going around a screen in the game last night. Those suck. He's a guy that is always going to be banged up by nature of how he plays. He's also a guy that isn't going to let that stop him from playing.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,548

Post#977 » by mpharris36 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:09 am

basketballRob wrote:

The DBPM from Basketball Reference depicts more of a team stat than a individual's stats.

If you went by Basketball Reference, Mo Bamba has been fantastic since he's been in the league and that's not true. His rookie season his net rating according to NBA.com was like -15 but BR showed he was a quality player.

Yeah DEF Net rating would also suggest Suggs is your best defender currently. I know DBPM basically is a team oriented stat that kinda overlooks a players individual impact on the court rather the teams impact on the court while he is out there vs the rest of the league.

The Magics team DEF rating is 110.5

Suggs individual DEF rating is 101.6

Pretty crazy for a guy that plays starters minutes.

I like RAPTOR because team defense is important but the on/off aspect allows even a good defender on a bad defense to shine through like suggs. RAPTOR suggests the Magic are nearly +10 pts better on defense when he is on the court. Pretty remarkable stuff if you ask me for a rookie guard (not even a rim protector). Just shows you how much he takes away the P&R at the point of attack.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#978 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:36 am

mpharris36 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Yeah DEF Net rating would also suggest Suggs is your best defender currently. I know DBPM basically is a team oriented stat that kinda overlooks a players individual impact on the court rather the teams impact on the court while he is out there vs the rest of the league.

The Magics team DEF rating is 110.5

Suggs individual DEF rating is 101.6

Pretty crazy for a guy that plays starters minutes.

I like RAPTOR because team defense is important but the on/off aspect allows even a good defender on a bad defense to shine through like suggs. RAPTOR suggests the Magic are nearly +10 pts better on defense when he is on the court. Pretty remarkable stuff if you ask me for a rookie guard (not even a rim protector). Just shows you how much he takes away the P&R at the point of attack.
I tried to defend Bamba using BR and someone posted the way they come up with it and it is based on the overall unit's box scores. NBA.com looks at the individual matchups.

That's why credible analyst don't quote BR for advanced stats.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#979 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:20 pm

Looks like Suggs is a game-time decision.

tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,333

Post#980 » by tooler » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:31 pm

I don't know if it was before or after the F-bomb, but I was happy to hear during his post-game interview that the coaching staff is working extensively with him to help slow the game down and improve his reads when driving. He seemed very appreciative.

Obviously I knew they must be working with him, but it looked like so little progress the first 15 games that it was hard to tell. He was a lot better against New York.

Return to Orlando Magic