Your all time Pacer squad to win a championship today

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Your all time Pacer squad to win a championship today 

Post#1 » by Topofthekey » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:25 pm

Suppose you're given a chance to assemble an all time Pacer squad in order to win a championship this season

What will your starting 5 look like? And because assembling a big 3 is the trend these days, let's restrict it to 3 all stars/all nba player at most. Ok, go
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Re: Your all time Pacer squad to win a championship today 

Post#2 » by davidfr94 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:22 am

Jermaine O'Neal
Paul George
Ron artest
Chris duarte
Malcolm brogdon

I know it is weird picking Duarte and brogdon but i think they'll fit really well with that team.

With no all star limitations

Jermain O'Neal
Paul George
Ron artest
Reggie Miller
Oladipo

That team would be so good

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using RealGM mobile app
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Topofthekey » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:10 am

Interesting Jermaine O'Neal centric build. I wonder how he would fare in today's NBA. I can see him dominating and destroying the competition. I don't think he faced many zones though, so I do wonder how he would fare today if teams just zone up and mob him when he touches the ball near the basket. I wonder if someone like Granger, who is a much better 3pt shooter, might be better than Artest in that lineup
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 715

Post#4 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:23 pm

I can’t remember details from last year let alone years past. So not sure who were all stars.

Reggie M
Chuck P
Paul G
Jermaine O
Danny G

Limited all star
Reggie M
Dale D <—— thinking he wasn’t
Jermaine O
Paul G
Bogie B <—— thinking he wasn’t
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:01 pm

Fun exercise. There are guys that would definitely fit in VERY well with the current NBA moreso than they did in the past. Guys like Detlef Schrempf would feast. Who needs Robert Covington's of the world, when you could have Derrick McKey (I'm sure he would've shot the 3 well if he played in an era that it was emphasized). I think JO would be a really good center nowadays, though his focus on the post game (albeit in the post game era) and lack of long-range shooting would probably hurt. A sane Ron Artest would be a perfect fit for any era, almost. Mark Jackson would probably be a great PG in any era, even with his lack of speed. George McGinnis was an all kind type of scorer as a Pacer. Obviously, Reggie. Duh. :lol: Paul George is a great 2 way player at the wings. Rik Smits would be a bit of a fit with a small lineup, but he'd be a tough plug and play, although he was a really good player.

The hard part is not picking a roster of all-stars. All those guys but McKey made all-star games. Chuck Person didn't make an All-Star, so he's a great idea. Hell, even Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy would be better in this era than they were in their own.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Topofthekey » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:50 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I can’t remember details from last year let alone years past. So not sure who were all stars.

Reggie M
Chuck P
Paul G
Jermaine O
Danny G

Limited all star
Reggie M
Dale D <—— thinking he wasn’t
Jermaine O
Paul G
Bogie B <—— thinking he wasn’t

Granger did make All Star, so there are 4 All Stars in the first team

But didn't they trade Chuck Person because he didn't fit well with Reggie, though. I think he'd be a great choice in a Reggie-less build, especially if you're trying to save the All Star quota for other positions

But the second team is a very interesting build! For one, it's a huge team. 6-7 Reggie is the shortest player in there. That is certainly going to be very interesting to see today. Also, the complete lack of a decent PG. Pacers don't have too many good PGs, so skipping a PG altogether is an interesting choice. And very bold to have a team featuring both Jermaine O'Neal and Dale Davis in today's NBA. Feels like this team is going to be an extreme, either a first round exit, or they bulldoze their way to a championship
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Re: Your all time Pacer squad to win a championship today I was 

Post#7 » by Diop » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:31 am

I was going to suggest Antonio Davis as a good small ball centre but even he was an all star.

But Jalen Rose was never an all star, 6-9 ball handling shooter is good in any era
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#8 » by Diop » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:37 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Fun exercise. There are guys that would definitely fit in VERY well with the current NBA moreso than they did in the past. Guys like Detlef Schrempf would feast. Who needs Robert Covington's of the world, when you could have Derrick McKey (I'm sure he would've shot the 3 well if he played in an era that it was emphasized). I think JO would be a really good center nowadays, though his focus on the post game (albeit in the post game era) and lack of long-range shooting would probably hurt. A sane Ron Artest would be a perfect fit for any era, almost. Mark Jackson would probably be a great PG in any era, even with his lack of speed. George McGinnis was an all kind type of scorer as a Pacer. Obviously, Reggie. Duh. :lol: Paul George is a great 2 way player at the wings. Rik Smits would be a bit of a fit with a small lineup, but he'd be a tough plug and play, although he was a really good player.

The hard part is not picking a roster of all-stars. All those guys but McKey made all-star games. Chuck Person didn't make an All-Star, so he's a great idea. Hell, even Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy would be better in this era than they were in their own.

Weirdly the year before joining pacers Mckey was hitting the 3 for Seattle. 40 from 112 to be exact, not to shabby
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:53 pm

Diop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Fun exercise. There are guys that would definitely fit in VERY well with the current NBA moreso than they did in the past. Guys like Detlef Schrempf would feast. Who needs Robert Covington's of the world, when you could have Derrick McKey (I'm sure he would've shot the 3 well if he played in an era that it was emphasized). I think JO would be a really good center nowadays, though his focus on the post game (albeit in the post game era) and lack of long-range shooting would probably hurt. A sane Ron Artest would be a perfect fit for any era, almost. Mark Jackson would probably be a great PG in any era, even with his lack of speed. George McGinnis was an all kind type of scorer as a Pacer. Obviously, Reggie. Duh. :lol: Paul George is a great 2 way player at the wings. Rik Smits would be a bit of a fit with a small lineup, but he'd be a tough plug and play, although he was a really good player.

Weirdly the year before joining pacers Mckey was hitting the 3 for Seattle. 40 from 112 to be exact, not to shabby

Yeah, he had a season for the Pacers where he shot even a bit better percentage wise, on only a few less shots. It just wasn’t part of the game back then, and the 3 point line was further back. He was just a great glue piece in that tough era.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#10 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:26 am

McGinnis is a must at the 4. JO at 5. Hard not to put Artest at 3, but Clark Kellogg when healthy was a monster.

Does all star mean playing in all star game or making top 5 or 10? If the later Don Buse and Billy Knight might qualify. Reggie at 2 if I haven't used up my stars. Can I have Tinsley's rookie year at 1?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Topofthekey » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:27 am

Wizop wrote:McGinnis is a must at the 4. JO at 5. Hard not to put Artest at 3, but Clark Kellogg when healthy was a monster.

Does all star mean playing in all star game or making top 5 or 10? If the later Don Buse and Billy Knight might qualify. Reggie at 2 if I haven't used up my stars. Can I have Tinsley's rookie year at 1?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

As long as they made it to an All Star team at some point in their career they're an All Star, for this exercise

Tinsley didn't make any All Star or any All NBA teams so he's clear. I'm not including All Rookies teams in the restriction

Return to Indiana Pacers