What a gem
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,745

Re: 2021-22 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#262 » by UcanUwill » Sun Nov 7, 2021 3:31 pm

Just a random comment, but I hate when one team plays with white kit and blue shorts, the other team plays with blue kit and white shorts, and people who allow this think its ok.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#263 » by UcanUwill » Sun Nov 7, 2021 5:14 pm

Great goal by Trent out of free kick, the curve. Love that little man.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#264 » by UcanUwill » Sun Nov 7, 2021 5:26 pm

what a bail out by Virgil there, sliding tackle right in front of goal, pure class.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#265 » by UcanUwill » Sun Nov 7, 2021 6:31 pm

bad weekend for Liverpool, West Ham raise to top 3
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Post#266 » by Baphomet » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:58 am

Looks like Gerrard is on his way back to the Premier League to coach Villa.

Rumours suggesting that United are attempting to poach Brendo from Leicester, as well, albeit from less credible sources. Can't see it happening, personally. United look cooked while Leicester, despite a pretty poor start to the season, seem to be positioned better in the long-term. I also don't think his personality is a good match for United.

The rodeo goes on.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#267 » by HIF » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:03 am

Baphomet wrote:Looks like Gerrard is on his way back to the Premier League to coach Villa.

Rumours suggesting that United are attempting to poach Brendo from Leicester, as well, albeit from less credible sources. Can't see it happening, personally. United look cooked while Leicester, despite a pretty poor start to the season, seem to be positioned better in the long-term. I also don't think his personality is a good match for United.

The rodeo goes on.

It's quite a strange move for Gerrard. Villa are not likely to be a European contender in the near future. I guess he sees them as a stepping stone for a "big" club but I think he'd have been better off staying at Rangers. Dean Smith was ideal for Villa and I feel they will wish they hadn't let him go in a few year's time (same way I feel about wilder at Sheff U).

I don't believe the rumour about Brendan simply because if United really wanted him they'd take him now. There is no way they are planning for a "certain" move in June. If he goes he goes, I'd prefer he stays because I think continuity in management is extremely important, however, I'd like a manager that was happy to stay with us and if he's not then move on. Managers like Pearson, Dyche, Smith, Wilder who are both good and loyal are hard to find. If I could choose any manager at the moment I'd probably go with Graham Potter as I love his football philosophy. We'd more likely get Mancini (after all he retired from playing as a Leicester player).
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#268 » by HIF » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:20 pm

better team won.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,267

Post#269 » by Shaazzam » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:35 pm

Wow, good thing we went with Matic over Van de Beek. :(

He's been horrible. Good job Ole, you **** muppet.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#270 » by The_Brecht » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:12 pm

1-0 was coming.
Liverpool is still a level above us.

- Dust means thirsty.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#271 » by The_Brecht » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:15 pm

Mané really is a dirty player.
Gets away with alot.

- Dust means thirsty.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#272 » by Baphomet » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:17 pm

Going into the season I made my usual mistake of underrating Liverpool and overrating Man United. Oh look, United have made some good signings, they might actually be good this year. Repeat ad nauseum. At least, for United fans' sakes, Ole will actually get sacked after this most recent debacle, and if they get the appointment right could start to build something positive again.

As for Liverpool, they're a well-oiled machine. I really enjoyed watching them play today. In the first half I thought Arsenal might get something from the game, Liverpool didn't look quite as brutally efficient as they typically are in the final third, but that soon changed in the second half. Arsenal kept playing out from the back, a lynchpin of Arteta's style, but you need to be extremely good at it to get around Liverpool's counter-press, and Arsenal aren't there yet. Klopp and Arteta's altercation seemed to light a fire under the Liverpool team and fans. The gulf in quality between the two teams was evident from that point onwards, with Liverpool constantly winning the ball in dangerous areas and scoring goals, with Arsenal being unable to get out and create anything of note themselves.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#273 » by UcanUwill » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:19 pm

United is a huge disappointment, I mean wow, remember when McGuire supposed to be their version of Van Dijk...
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,267

Post#274 » by Shaazzam » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:12 am

Lol, I didn't realize it ended 4-1. I turned it off at 3-1 and figured it was over.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,437

Post#275 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:16 am

The_Brecht wrote:Mané really is a dirty player.
Gets away with alot.

All the good ones seem to play with an edge. Arsenal could surely use some of that. Although I liked what I saw from Arteta today.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#276 » by Baphomet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:23 pm

First half was the usual crap this season from Spurs, but second half was pure Conte ball, energy and intensity improved manifold. Good 3 points, and an important confidence boost for the team and fans. Fair play to Leeds though, shorthanded or not, they played well.

It's going to take some time for the Spurs players to get to grips with how Conte sets his teams up, and the physical demands that come with that. But there were some encouraging signs today.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#277 » by Baphomet » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:38 pm

Man United appoint Ralf Rangnick as interim coach, with the goal of taking over as a permanent consultant at the club in the summer when they look for their next permanent manager.

Thoughts? I feel like Man United have a lot of structural problems at the moment, even beyond the squad and coaches, so this could prove to be a pretty savvy move. However, I feel like the German posters here probably know his coaching style better than me, but as far as I understand, he's one of the progenitors of the gegenpress. Could signal a shift in playing philosophy at Man United.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#278 » by Foye » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:58 pm

Baphomet wrote:Man United appoint Ralf Rangnick as interim coach, with the goal of taking over as a permanent consultant at the club in the summer when they look for their next permanent manager.

Thoughts? I feel like Man United have a lot of structural problems at the moment, even beyond the squad and coaches, so this could prove to be a pretty savvy move. However, I feel like the German posters here probably know his coaching style better than me, but as far as I understand, he's one of the progenitors of the gegenpress. Could signal a shift in playing philosophy at Man United.

There will definitely be a big shift in the game approach.

Always seemed like with Ole he would just hope his team has enough quality to beat the opponent...you will definitely see more tactical elements in the game.

Rangnick definitely is a good coach but the question is: He doesn't really have all that much experience dealing with superstars. He basically spent all his life in a position to help young players grow to star level. Once they were stars they always left his clubs.
At United, he is the interim manager hired for only the remainder of the year dealing with a mob of players that in some cases deservingly in others not so much - in their mind - think they are superstars.

It will be interesting to see whether he can get all these egos on the same page. If there is just 2 or 3 guys who don't follow his approach his system will fail because it requires 100% effort from all players.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#279 » by wco81 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:56 pm

Supposedly United are after Pochettino?

United certainly has been a big club longer than PSG. But would they necessarily pay more than what PSG is already paying him?

Or a bigger transfer budget than PSG?

PSG dominates the French league which means an automatic berth in the UCL.

With Man U, it might take awhile for United to be vying for the EPL title and maybe not a certainty for a UCL berth.

Plus, EPL has far more deep-pocketed competitors than Ligue 1?
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#280 » by Baphomet » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:50 pm

wco81 wrote:Supposedly United are after Pochettino?

United certainly has been a big club longer than PSG. But would they necessarily pay more than what PSG is already paying him?

Or a bigger transfer budget than PSG?

PSG dominates the French league which means an automatic berth in the UCL.

With Man U, it might take awhile for United to be vying for the EPL title and maybe not a certainty for a UCL berth.

Plus, EPL has far more deep-pocketed competitors than Ligue 1?

I don't think it's a case of weighing up resources or the size of the clubs. Pochettino isn't happy at PSG for a multitude of reasons. Leonardo basically runs the club at this point, and Poch has very little say in their transfer business, and has a front three in Neymar, Mbappe and Messi who absolutely will not press or track back as his style of play demands. So basically they're defending with 7 men in every match, with their full backs isolated and exposed, with a hierarchy that insists he kowtow to the needs of various star players rather than the team.

I don't know if Pochettino is the answer at Man United. His tenure at Spurs was mostly excellent, but I think he thrives coaching underdogs and blooding in youth players. He is surely a better manager than Ole, though.

Return to The General Soccer Board