Image ImageImage Image

Most Disappointing Bull in modern times?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,331

Most Disappointing Bull in modern times? 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:24 pm

There have been MANY over the last 40 years. Here is my total list-guys who fans had high hopes for and they crashed. Before I add a poll, any names I am forgetting? I need 9 final names to create the poll (with "other" being an option)
Greenwood
Sellers
Hopson
King
Mercer
Robinson
Curry
Chandler
JWilliams
Fizer
TThomas
Dougie
Lauri
Carter
Boozer
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,509

Re: Most Disappointing Bull in modern times? 

Post#2 » by panthermark » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:35 pm

Otto Porter
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 403

Post#3 » by Lexluthor » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:44 pm

Patrick Williams
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,756

Post#4 » by Jcool0 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:46 pm

If you aren't picking Boozer you aren't doing it right.
WookieOnRitalin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 270

Post#5 » by WookieOnRitalin » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:08 pm

The original post and others failed to mention the worst FA signing of Bulls modern times and that is....

Ben Wallace. We gave that guy $56 million to be terrible and the Bulls were also quite terrible. So terrible that Ben Wallace's greatest gift to the Bulls was allowing us to draft Joakim Noah and Derrick Rose in consecutive years.

Boozer was not the worst. Ben was.
"As you think, so shall you become." --- Bruce Lee
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,331

Post#6 » by pipfan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:08 pm

good choice with Porter
My pick will also be Boozer-I HATED him being a part of such a hard-working group. Plus, that hair and "gimme that"
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,756

Post#7 » by Jcool0 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:20 pm

WookieOnRitalin wrote:The original post and others failed to mention the worst FA signing of Bulls modern times and that is....

Ben Wallace. We gave that guy $56 million to be terrible and the Bulls were also quite terrible. So terrible that Ben Wallace's greatest gift to the Bulls was allowing us to draft Joakim Noah and Derrick Rose in consecutive years.

Boozer was not the worst. Ben was.

Wallace? Bulls won 49 games his first year with him pulling down 10.7 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 2 blocks. He never averaged 10+ ppg in any season so if you were expecting him to score that was never going to happen. He gave the Bulls good defense, which is what you are paying him to do, before that entire team imploded, which was Scott Skiles MO.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,376

Post#8 » by DuckIII » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:24 pm

Derrick Rose by a huge margin. But I don’t expect folk to agree with my rationale. Regardless of era he’s the most disappointing and I doubt I’ll live long enough to ever be more disappointed by a Bull.

Using a more traditional approach of career accomplishments relative to potential it would either be Curry or Tyrus.

Edit: Add Jay to Curry and Tyrus. Three way tie there for 3 different reasons.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#9 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:27 pm

Good list. Fwiw I don’t think Boozer is anywhere near the top of this list, I think everyone else on it was more disappointing than Carlos. That’s not saying that Carlos wasn’t disappointing, he was it’s just that everyone else was more so. Like Wookiee sad Wallace was worse. E-Rob worse etc..

You could add Corey Benjamin to the list I guess.

I don’t recall the hype around Greenwood but Sellers, Hobson, King was rough to swallow from the expectations we had at the time
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Post#10 » by sco » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:38 pm

Porter
Jwill
McDermott
:clap:
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#11 » by kodo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:40 pm

I'd be curious to see how many votes Hinrich gets. He was one my favorite Bulls but has traditionally gotten a lot of hate here. Maybe because he was such a drop off from D Wade?

Will Perdue might have a voting spot, he wasn't a super high pick but not a low one either (#11).
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#12 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:56 pm

It’s Curry, Chandler, and Tyrus. Expectations were very high for those 3, and they didn’t come anywhere close to matching those expectations. Complete busts (Although Tyson had a career as a role player after his time with the Bulls)
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
#1TKfan
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#13 » by #1TKfan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:11 pm

DuckIII wrote:Derrick Rose by a huge margin. But I don’t expect folk to agree with my rationale. Regardless of era he’s the most disappointing and I doubt I’ll live long enough to ever be more disappointed by a Bull.

Using a more traditional approach of career accomplishments relative to potential it would either be Curry or Tyrus.

Very interesting. I think I get your rationale. DRose had the potential to take us to the next level at that time. His ceiling was so high. Unfortunately his game and mentality wasn't the same after his injury.
I for one was disappointed after the Drose and Butler dispute. I still don't understand what happened there. Could they just not play together?
Loved Buckets but Rose is still one of my favorite players. Still want him to retire as a bull.

Aside from that,
I think Ben Wallace was the biggest disappointment for me. I remember being so excited getting him cause Bulls finally got that "big name FA" . Couldn't get those after MJ era.
The Body ( Scott Skiles reference) lol, was a shell of himself though. He had great moments but didn't meet my expectations the whole time he was a Bull. I questioned how much heart he had. Then the whole headband thing. Ridiculous.
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#14 » by Jvaughn » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:32 pm

Jay Williams for me. He was supposed to be our franchise player, and just when he looked like he was heading in that direction, he had that career ending injury. I do think that set us back quite a bit.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,902

Post#15 » by ChettheJet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:48 pm

Most of you are too young or new to the Bulls to have any idea what disappointment means

Tyrus Thomas was so highly touted by GarPax,so athletic, had all the tools to develop into a game changing player. What they failed to realize was much of the game and a player's ceiling is determined by what's in his head and Tyrus had no basketball there

Marcus Fizer had the body of Maurice Lucas and the game of Maurice Lenell. Sure he was like the third straight PF drafted but he had no BB skills.

Eddie Robinson, add Nick Weatherspoon, was that backup guy who was always short of 'something' to become the starter. So some other team decides they will get a prize. Mostly they're wrong because the guy never makes the jump. Vinnie Johnson and World B Free stand out because they didn't get forced out of their roles. ERob didn't have the game above the neck. Nick just didn't have starter game

Doug McBuckets was the gym rat coaches son who some teams like to think will be the net Larry Bird. But he like so many others was about a step too slow, a foot short on jumping, not many offensive moves but the jumper and he showed for the pro he wasn't.

Brad Sellers today would be a great stretch 4, 30 years ago that wasn't a position and he was a too thin PF not quick enough SF. Right player wrong era.

David Greenwood didn't become an all star but he was a solid 10 year pro with the Bulls and SA. He was pretty close to Horace Grant, not the defender or as much of fast break threat but better post defender and scorer

Ron Mercer was a case of a good 3rd guy to provide scoring. The Bulls needed a #1 who did it all to lead the team. Good player to get for his role but expectations were too high. That basically covers Boozer, and maybe Carter.

Curry and Chandler were drafted too young and took too long to really become NBA players. Krause was counting on them as 1-3 year players to be the players they eventually became in after 6 plus years in the league. That's why I was against trading Brand to pair them up.

Stacey King was a role player off the bench and he got that job done. It would have been a miracle for him to push Grant or even Perdue. On other team without MJ maybe he could have been better

Dennis Hopson was at the end of the line, he was a disappointment in NJ and so were the teams he was on

Jay Williams is a case of 'what might have been'. If he drives a car they don't feel the need to draft Kirk Hinrich instead of maybe Nick Collison or they trade down to David West
Babari Bulls
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#16 » by Babari Bulls » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:05 pm

For me it was definitely Tyrus. I thought he was going to be an all-star by year 3, instead he was a malcontent knucklehead.
ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 826

Post#17 » by ChiefILL53 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:29 pm

I remember rooting for Tyrus so hard cuz I was all in on the hype. So he has to be it. We traded Aldridge to get him. The only good thing from this is we were still bad enough to luck into getting derrick down the line.

Sent from my HD1907 using RealGM mobile app
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,005

Post#18 » by NecessaryEvil » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:48 pm

#1 Tyrus Thomas

#2 Lauri Markkanen

#3 Chandler Hutchinson

#4 Tony Snell

#5 Dwayne Wade
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,624

Post#19 » by dougthonus » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:53 pm

DuckIII wrote:Derrick Rose by a huge margin. But I don’t expect folk to agree with my rationale. Regardless of era he’s the most disappointing and I doubt I’ll live long enough to ever be more disappointed by a Bull.

Jay Williams and Derrick Rose are #1 and #2 for me, and I could go either way on the order.

Most of these guys I didn't have high hopes for necessarily or I knew they were huge gambles that may or may not turn out, so I wasn't hugely disappointed with what happened.

Jay Williams was a blue chip guy to be a star player, I thought he was going to be a perennial all-star type with a shot at bringing the Bulls back to glory. He had a pretty poor rookie campaign and then it was over. I had very high expectations and no results.

Rose is a bit different for me, it's not really his fault, but we saw the glimpse of what could have been a decade of greatness with a good shot at a title. How well the Bulls hit on Butler and to a lesser extent Mirotic meant they even had the depth to keep this thing going if Rose (and to a lesser extent Noah) had only been able to hold up healthwise. The injury and inability to ever really regain his form afterwards was just crushing.

I don't blame Derrick for that. I know there was/is a lot of contention of whose fault it all was, but in the end, it was the ACL's fault. He never got better. The idea that if he just pushed himself differently that he would have is ludicrous to me. This was just a guy who ever was able to be the same again, and our franchise fell with that.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#20 » by waffle » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:03 pm

Tyrus - such a HUGE swing and miss
Brad Sellers anyone?
Curry - Big hands/not a big heart
J. Will is a GREAT ONE.

Return to Chicago Bulls