ImageImageImage

Victory Cigar!!! BOS 111, OKC 105 (9-8)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Who smokes it tonight?

Tatum
63%
Schroder
29%
Smart
2%
Horford
2%
Grant
2%
Richardson
No votes
Kanter
No votes
Nesmith
No votes
Other (team)
4%

Total votes: 56

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Re: Victory Cigar!!! BOS 111, OKC 105 (9-8) 

Post#61 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:20 pm

Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#62 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:38 pm

Love it when Smart focuses on defense and passing and just takes the wide open shots instead of forcing up 12-15 shots.
Schoeder is better than I expected. Imo, he's having an all-star season so far. He's been destroying anybody that tries to guard him. So far, there hasn't been 1 dude who can guard him 1 on 1.
Tatum is getting back to who he is, I guess he's a slow starter.
Things are looking good, hopefully the guys can keep it up once Jaylen and Bobby are back
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#63 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:07 pm

I gave it to Smart, for diving on the floor for a steal when the team was up 20.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#64 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:09 pm

Starters collectively: 27 assists, 4 TO.

4 of the 5 had excellent individual A/TO (5/1, 7/0, 8/1, 6/2).

The other one had 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, and shot 4-6 from deep.

Unfortunately the starters, Kanter and Richardson were the only ones with decent numbers. Nesmith was particularly ineffective.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 9,990

Post#65 » by Dogen » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:17 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:Tatum again, Schroder a close second. Some of you, and you know who you are, owe Grant Williams a big apology.

I'd like whoever has been using the 'Can't Will' nickname for Grant (captain green, I think?) to tell us what nicknames he has in mind for the other youngins.

I’ve been a Grant guy, but pulled him from my avatar in favor of Aaron Notyetsmith, who, along with Sam Houseinmaine, did not impress when they had a chance to close out the pesky OKC defense last night.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#66 » by Celts17Pride » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:29 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Trade him now while his value is high :wink:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#67 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:32 pm

Actually, given all the former Thunder players on the Cs, the following song is slightly relevant too.

dans1230
Rookie
And1: 1,141

Post#68 » by dans1230 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:45 pm

I love how this team has been playing since Brown went out. The ball movement has been great and Tatum is allowing the game to really come to him. Im not sure how they address this when Brown comes back but i think you get the best version of Tatum when he isnt playing with Brown. They dont make each other better and often times just take turns playing iso ball. Brown is great and id like to see them make it work, just not sure they can.
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#69 » by Ill News » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:51 pm

The Comedian wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
The Comedian wrote:The ball movement lately has been insane, and they’ve left a bunch of assists on the table.

Zoya has been on this for years, but ball movement like that is contagious, and makes everyone play better.

Stevens so wanted something like this for this group. Especially when Hayward and Horford were here. I hate to think that guys just didn't listen to him, so in my mind, Tatum and Brown were just too young to get it.

We'll see how we do against the tougher defensive teams but I'm loving the recent commitment to it. None of the walk it down the court ****. None of the dancing with the dribble (or almost none). Very few one-pass possessions.

I don’t think Jaylen tries to go black hole, but he just doesn’t have the vision/feel for the game. Which makes the jumps he has made all the more impressive IMO.

Tatum on the other hand has very good vision, just had a very bad habit of taking ten years to make his move. That’s what made him so frustrating at times lol. He absolutely still gets stuck doing it too often, but it feels like night and day. And like you’ve said 100000 times, it only will make his life easier.

The way these two have evolved is what's surprised me most. I always thought Jaylen would be the one to grow into being an all-around player, kinda like a Pippen who can defend any position and be an occasional playmaker and scorer. Meanwhile, Tatum would be the scoring machine, focusing mostly on offense.

But instead Jaylen rose to become a pretty elite scorer the past 3 seasons who can kinda score from anywhere like T-Mac (I swear, his handles are better than Tatum's now), while Tatum is still an elite scoring machine but his defensive and playmaking capabilities are just way better than anyone expected.

It's a pleasant surprise, but what's encouraging is that they still have room to grow. Jaylen's already showing flashes of being a consistent playmaker this season, while Tatum will be even deadlier when he stops taking so long to get into his offense. They just need to avoid being KD-Westbrook 2.0 in the sense that they become a dueling banjos-type of duo, though Jaylen hasn't been actively trying to wrest the alpha role from Tatum like Westbrick did with KD.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#70 » by Half-Full » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:25 pm

Tatum smoking the cigar again. It is encouraging to see him playing so well in back to back games. Schroder also played well, and it was nice to see him only turning over the ball twice. Marcus with 8 assists, and a highlight loose ball recovery, surprising the hell out of SGA who thought he was getting it. Grant continuing to hit the three, going 4/6, and playing within himself. Has his performance thus far changed anyone's mind about his value? There were quite a few in this forum who viewed him as not worthy of a place on the very end of our bench. Enes getting 17 minutes and delivering a double double (10 and 10). This is exactly what his record would indicate, and it seems to me that he should be seeing 15 or so minutes a game. At the end of the game, OKC started hitting their threes at the same time our D was relaxing a bit. It was a bit alarming to see them cutting into a 20 point lead and making a game of it. We held on, though, and put another one in the W column. We could easily be at 12 and 5 if not for two double overtime losses, and a last second Luka Doncic dagger.

Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#71 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:15 pm

Half-Full wrote:We could easily be at 12 and 5 if not for two double overtime losses, and a last second Luka Doncic dagger.

Counting the 2 OT games the Celtics lost, the 2 OT games the Celtics won, the close Cleveland game, and the Dallas game, the Celtics are 2-4 in games that could very easily have gone the other way.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,409

Post#72 » by bisme37 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:43 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics