Image ImageImage Image

Most Disappointing Bull in modern times?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,005

Re: Most Disappointing Bull in modern times? 

Post#21 » by MrSparkle » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:12 pm

Wow - so many to name.

Can’t we just make this easy and say everybody between 1999-2020 besides for Rose, Taj, Noah, Nate, Pau, Jimmy and Zach?

Even Deng disappointed me. He had such a great rookie debut until the wrist (and strong 3rd season), but for the most part was injured and regressing until Thibs came around and cemented his role. Noc had a quick decline. Kirk regressed and we had to send a FRP just to dump his $10m contract. Gordon dribbled the ball of his foot as often as he made a 3P. Just frustrating rooting for these guys and wanting them to win against clearly more talented teams.

Tempted to add Noah and Rose, but their injuries directly caused the declines. But let’s be honest- they were very disappointing in 2014-16 when we finally got 2 all stars to compliment them in 7m Pau and breakout Jimmy.

So really, the only Bulls who haven’t disappointed me in the full span of 21 years (pre-AK) are Taj, Nate (vet min!), ole scapegoat Pau (only Bulls fans can bring the pitchfork out for a 7m man making b2b ASGs), Zach and Jimmy. :lol: And yes that would be a hell of a starting 5.
Electric Slim
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,068

Post#22 » by Electric Slim » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:57 pm

Tyrus for me personally
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,312

Post#23 » by Mbrahv0528 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:01 pm

Lexluthor wrote:Patrick Williams
?????? Why are some fans like this.

Sent from my SM-F707U using RealGM mobile app
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#24 » by meekrab » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:52 pm

Tossup between Gar Forman and John Paxson for me. For a team using the slogan "Heart Hustle and Muscle" they didn't represent any of the three.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#25 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:09 pm

Jay Will is the most tragic for me for sure. As mentioned it looked like they finally figured out what to do with him and they were going to play Jay and Jamal together. He was a no brainer pick too because he had the skills. Obvious the flash against Kidd when he had the triple double was amazing. Rookie year he never quite got it but it looked like he would.

Rose, return and lack of was definitely the most disappointing though. Unlike Jay, it wasn’t just speculation. It was there and it was real. He didn’t even need to come back 100%, he’ll if we had the current D Rose, it still would have made this team a threat. All the fallout from it, refusing to play, subsequent injuries, Reggie, rape charges, just looking scared etc… it was tough to swallow.

Tyrus like Curry and Chandler was OK, simply because I always felt they were gambles, and a gamble doesn’t pay off. Shipping Tyson off because we had Ben and Tyrus though was disappointing. They chose poorly on all counts at that moment.
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 403

Post#26 » by Lexluthor » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:13 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:

Before he got injured he was still playing timid . We should had drafted Cole Anthony
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 2,999

Post#27 » by jordanwilliams6 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:19 pm

Looking back, the more interesting question is which Bulls actually exceeded expectations for the fan base? Butler & LaVine stand out because it feels like almost everyone else disappointed.

To answer the question, it's Lauri for me. To see where he has ended up now after that FebruaLauri period is quite astonishing. The guy looked like a genuine star in the making in his second season. The guy averaged 26/12 on pretty good shooting numbers, never to be replicated again.
BloodyQ
Starter
And1: 1,183

Post#28 » by BloodyQ » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:32 pm

Wendell Carter Jr
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,414

Post#29 » by ImSlower » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:35 pm

Lexluthor wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:

Before he got injured he was still playing timid . We should had drafted Cole Anthony

I don't think I saw a single person on the internet advocate for that drafting.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,133

Post#30 » by HomoSapien » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:25 pm

Tyson and Eddy together were pretty damn disappointing. Back then, it felt like almost every HS drafted in the lottery became a franchise player. For both of those guys to basically bust was really a franchise crusher, especially since we traded Brand and Brad Miller to make room for them.

I also think Derrick Rose is high on this list given how bizarre the post ACL years were and how much he’s grown over the past few years.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,871

Post#31 » by Wingy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:06 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:

His story isn’t done, but he could end up very high on my list. A lot of that being because I do like him and he seems to be a good, hard-working young man from everything we’ve heard from the outside.

With that, have rooted for him hard, and I think at this point putting it together probably won’t ever happen. His natural timidness, the team now very much winning now, and the rotten timing of his injury are a very unfortunate combined recipe.

He’s high because he’s the only one I intangibly just like. Others like Chandler, Curry, Tyrus, and even Jay Williams- not that I disliked any of them, I just always felt some level of fan distrust for one reason or other from the beginning with each.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,930

Post#32 » by Axl Rose » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:08 pm

Nikola Mirotic.

Although the Dirk comparisons were always unfair, he was still a spanish league MVP. I thought he would be allot better. I basically remember him for screwing up our draft position and possibly costing us Luka Doncic.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 403

Post#33 » by Lexluthor » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:11 pm

DuckIII wrote:Derrick Rose by a huge margin. But I don’t expect folk to agree with my rationale. Regardless of era he’s the most disappointing and I doubt I’ll live long enough to ever be more disappointed by a Bull.

Using a more traditional approach of career accomplishments relative to potential it would either be Curry or Tyrus.

Edit: Add Jay to Curry and Tyrus. Three way tie there for 3 different reasons.
Derrick really disappointed me after he tore his ACL. I still don’t understand why he gets so much love on this board . He became soft and lazy
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,373

Post#34 » by DuckIII » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:25 pm

Lexluthor wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Derrick Rose by a huge margin. But I don’t expect folk to agree with my rationale. Regardless of era he’s the most disappointing and I doubt I’ll live long enough to ever be more disappointed by a Bull.

Using a more traditional approach of career accomplishments relative to potential it would either be Curry or Tyrus.

Derrick really disappointed me after he tore his ACL. I still don’t understand why he gets so much love on this board . He became soft and lazy

He happened to be born in Chicago.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#35 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:48 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:

He happened to be born in Chicago.

Very true and he also made the UC exciting again like we had not seen since the Dynasty days up until that point there was a lot to love about him. Alas though every Rose has its thorns.
greenwing
Sixth Man
And1: 438

Post#36 » by greenwing » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:12 am

Larry Hughes. Well, except that one time he hit a buzzer beater to win a game. Still can’t believe he was a Bull.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,373

Post#37 » by DuckIII » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:27 am

greenwing wrote:Larry Hughes. Well, except that one time he hit a buzzer beater to win a game. Still can’t believe he was a Bull.

Good idea for a thread. John Starks was a Bull.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

Post#38 » by dice » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:34 am

Lexluthor wrote:

he clearly had mental issues. i don't see the softness and laziness so much

and the correct option of those given is clearly boozer, in part because his disappointment was the most consequential. getting torched by bosh in the ECF is the prime example. his career began to decline precipitously after signing with the bulls and tripping on his gym bag. at least big ben gave us one good year
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

Post#39 » by dice » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:56 am

meekrab wrote:Tossup between Gar Forman and John Paxson for me. For a team using the slogan "Heart Hustle and Muscle" they didn't represent any of the three.

if you think that paxson is/was anywhere near as bad as gar, you weren't paying attention to start to pax's GM career:

2003 hinrich over TJ ford in his first draft

2004 drafted ben gordon, acquired #7 pick deng in exchange for the following year's #21 pick, got duhon in 2nd round and signed undrafted spaniard nocioni later that summer

2005 traded curry for a #2 pick (tyrus) and a pick swap (noah)
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
FecesOfDeath
Head Coach
And1: 1,675

Post#40 » by FecesOfDeath » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:14 am

IMO, it's gotta be Jay Williams. He was basically #1B with Yao and was supposed to be as can't-miss of a prospect as Tim Duncan was. Perhaps some of his lack of production had to do with playing in the triangle offense, but I think most were expecting something along the lines of around 20 ppg and 6 apg.

Return to Chicago Bulls