Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Re: Poole needs to come off bench 

Post#141 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:15 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
him having a good game tonight is irrelevant, but of course you guys will use it as ANY sort of proof that he's a good fit among the starting lineup when Steph/Dray were MIA tonight.

he's a terrible fit with the starting unit, that's indisputable, the stats have been posted in this thread repeatedly. whether you want to admit it or not is your own problem.

Do you believe Poole can improve his play?

what's the point of this question? of course he can improve his play. anyone in the NBA can improve, especially younger players. still irrelevant to his overall fit with the starting unit.

Do you think his ability to play with Curry/Green will improve faster playing with them or NOT playing with them?

I'm not sure Moody or Lee will do better as starters than Poole. My guess is we won't get a chance to see.
sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Post#142 » by sjballer03 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
him having a good game tonight is irrelevant, but of course you guys will use it as ANY sort of proof that he's a good fit among the starting lineup when Steph/Dray were MIA tonight.

he's a terrible fit with the starting unit, that's indisputable, the stats have been posted in this thread repeatedly. whether you want to admit it or not is your own problem.

Do you believe Poole can improve his play?

what's the point of this question? of course he can improve his play. anyone in the NBA can improve, especially younger players. still irrelevant to his overall fit with the starting unit.

It's the same thing as asking you are you going to improve your style of posting or not. But since you haven't, I guess it's a fit issue :lol:
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#143 » by a8bil » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:27 am

It's games like this where it makes sense to have Poole in the starting line up. He and Wiggins were the engine that pushed this train from the start.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,721

Post#144 » by floppymoose » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:08 am

Now that Cheezus has proven to be somewhat serviceable I'm less focused on starting Lee over Poole. I had through Poole and Curry were the two guys who could break down defenses and so Poole needed to cover Curry's rest minutes. But maybe Cheezus can do just enough that we have the freedom to start Poole. Poole can still cover a lot of Curry's off time even while starting.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 349

Post#145 » by weekend_warrior » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:08 am

And just like this Poole's numbers have recovered quite a bit. He's now above 58% in TS% which is very solid. He currently ranks #40 in the league in points per game and ~25 of the 39 players ahead of him are below his TS% for the season so far.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#146 » by cdubbz » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:37 pm

I like the idea of Poole coming off the bench a whole lot! To be honest even Klay coming off the bench for a little is scary.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#147 » by The-Power » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:48 pm

floppymoose wrote:Now that Cheezus has proven to be somewhat serviceable I'm less focused on starting Lee over Poole. I had through Poole and Curry were the two guys who could break down defenses and so Poole needed to cover Curry's rest minutes. But maybe Cheezus can do just enough that we have the freedom to start Poole. Poole can still cover a lot of Curry's off time even while starting.

Poole covers all of the non-Steph minutes this year. There might actually not be a single minute of non-garbage time basketball where neither Curry nor Poole were on the floor, in games they both played in. In other words, Poole can do what you want him to do whether he starts or not, there's absolutely zero trade-off here.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#148 » by a8bil » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:34 pm

We know Poole had a slow start to the season, but he has shaken it off. Just how much has he shaken it off?

Poole's stats for November, totaling 11 games so far:

19.8 ppg
.479 shooting % (.353 from 3)
3.2 rpg
2.9 apg
.9 spg
.636 TS%
+ 6 BPM
Ortg -- 113
Drtg -- 106

That's all star level play there for a SG. Perhaps he reverts to a lower mean in due course, but if he can keep it up, GSW has a legit all star level 2 guard on its roster, and I'm not talking about Klay.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,290

Post#149 » by GunnerWRX » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:42 am

Poole has now been primed to come off the bench when Klay returns and Steph sits.

Per 36 min stats with Steph off-court since Nov 1:

+5.2 per 36
28.5 points per 36
4.7 ast per 36
0.9 stl per 36
49.2% fg%
39.1% 3p%
94.6% ft%
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,290

Post#150 » by GunnerWRX » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:08 pm

We were winning when Poole started. How can we reproduce the same winning with Poole coming off the bench?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#151 » by HiRez » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:14 am

Apparently Steph is out vs. the T-Pups so Poole will get a lot of run. And Chiozza I guess.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#152 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:30 pm

The kid is tailor-made to be a perennial 6 moty candidate,but what happens if he struggles to adjust? Start him again? Trade him? Wait it out?
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#153 » by and1GS » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:35 pm

I think the original idea behind having him come off the bench earlier was to adjust him to the role. It is very different playing in spurts where you're expected to be firing on all cylinders (in his role, as a ball dominant option) than being able to ease into the game.

There was actually a great chapter in a book I read about Kerr going through this. He would do a drill where him and an assistant coach would sit on a bench and shoot the **** for a random amount of time (anywhere from 5-20 minutes) then the assistant would yell 'GO!' and he would need to sprint to the other end and hit a 3...then he would sit back down and repeat the process. It's a huge mentality shift and it was always going to take Jordan more than the 2-3 games before Klay came back to adjust to coming off the bench. He will be fine, but it will get uglier before it gets better.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#154 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:51 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:The kid is tailor-made to be a perennial 6 moty candidate,but what happens if he struggles to adjust? Start him again? Trade him? Wait it out?

trader him while his value is relatively high.

if you actually watch Poole, he's not really a great fit in this offense, the majority of his production just comes off him overdribbling or driving, it's not organic, that's why when he's going off it usually happens when no one is able to get much of anything

that's why, his only role is a scoring 6th man type, which is fine and is valuable in some capacity, but if that's to work on this team Kerr needs to tight the rotations considerably.

we have 13 guys getting consistent minutes right now, and that's before even Wiseguy comes back.

having a deep team is nice and good for a while but the rotations need to be tighted at some point and roles need to be figured out quickly. the larger the rotation the harder it is to get into rhythm for some players and the harder it is to settle into a specific role.

Return to Golden State Warriors