Image ImageImage Image

Most Disappointing Bull in modern times?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

lostonbase
Starter
And1: 277

Re: Most Disappointing Bull in modern times? 

Post#41 » by lostonbase » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:39 am

Kornel David ;)
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#42 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:10 am

Derrick Rose is one of my favorite Bulls of all time. While I understand the perspective some fans may have when they call him "most disappointing" I still think it's a bit silly relative to the plentiful other options available. He was literally the only other MVP in our teams history besides MIchael freaking Jordan(in addition to that season being the youngest MVP in league history for gosh sakes). But anyways.

Jay(son) Williams has been, and will likely be for a long time, the obvious and correct answer for most disappointing Bull for me. I remember being so pumped when we got the 2nd pick in the 2002 draft knowing Yao would go #1 and Jason was the "lock" for #2 after he led the Dookies to the national title that preceding year. And then the dude stunk up his rookie year which is disappointing but not unredeemable. But the subsequent career annihilation via his single person motorcycle accident that following off season sealed the deal. I can't watch the guy on ESPN because of how sad just looking at him makes me. Albeit frankly his takes seem weak at best on those moments I have neglected to change the channel.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#43 » by PlayerUp » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:17 am

I guess it depends what you define as disappointment here.

For me it would be someone we drafted high up that didn't provide any real use. In that case, Jay Williams gets the pick here since his career ended after 1 season because of his own careless actions.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#44 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:05 am

DuckIII wrote:
greenwing wrote:Larry Hughes. Well, except that one time he hit a buzzer beater to win a game. Still can’t believe he was a Bull.

Good idea for a thread. John Starks was a Bull.

viewtopic.php?t=1942200

:D
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#45 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:07 am

I feel like some of the people saying Derrick is the answer are still blaming him for not playing in the 2013 playoffs. I really never agreed with all the outrage over that. Beyond that, I can't really say a guy was disappointing because of injuries that were out of his control.
troza
Junior
And1: 128

Post#46 » by troza » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:02 am

When I read the thread's title my mind went right away to Derrick Rose.

Nothing against him, neither he is the worst thing that happened to the Bulls. But after seeing him destroy all other PGs in the league so young and leading us twice to #1 spot in the East (with a much worse team than those Heat)... that injury is so disappointing and heartbreaking. We had a taste of finally having a good team with a superstar that loved being on the Bulls, we were dreaming but went down to an f*** injury...

Again, nothing against him or the Bulls for picking him. But that taste of hope for success and then seeing it gone... oh my...

Of course we have some big disappointments all over the years. Let's ignore the one from the dynasty years (because in the end the Bulls won 6 out of 8 and it is hard to disappoint with all that team success): Jalen Rose, Jay Williams, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Ben Wallace (although it kind of worked during the first season), Boozer (just because he wasn't any of the other available free agents... more the fact that we got him instead of him doing what he did), Wade and big number of picks that gave us nothing...

But all that was bad or painful... but not as painful as seeing Rose getting injured and never seeing him back into form in a Bulls uniform.
t-time
RealGM
And1: 1,792

Post#47 » by t-time » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:30 pm

Jay Williams and Tyrus Thomas.

Derrick Rose the disappointment (understatement) was how the relationship ended. You couldn’t of made up what would happen to him a minute before the injury against the 76ers.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#48 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:35 pm

Derrick Rose
Jay Williams
Eddy Curry
Tyrus Thomas

Are the most disappointing to me because I was invested in them from the beginning. A draft pick that doesn't pan out is always going to more disappointing to me than a free agent who came here and just collected a paycheck (Ben Wallace).
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,130

Post#49 » by League Circles » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Looking at the OP list I almost have to say Marcus Fizer. The guy was an absolute beast in college, was drafted 4th overall, given plenty of opportunity and really just couldn't do ANYTHING well at the NBA level.

Ron Mercer is worth mentioning IMO.

Most of the other guys did at least something well for a while IMO.

Whoa whoa whoa Dwyane Wade OBVIOUSLY deserves strong consideration. I had forgot about him.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#50 » by MGB8 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:55 pm

DuckIII wrote:Derrick Rose by a huge margin. But I don’t expect folk to agree with my rationale. Regardless of era he’s the most disappointing and I doubt I’ll live long enough to ever be more disappointed by a Bull.

Using a more traditional approach of career accomplishments relative to potential it would either be Curry or Tyrus.

Edit: Add Jay to Curry and Tyrus. Three way tie there for 3 different reasons.

Like you expected, I can't really agree on Derrick. It's injury - and not "motorcycle" injury but "in-game" injuries. But for that...

Even Jay Williams...

Curry and Tyrus --- those are the two --- all the talent in the world, not real desire to be great at basketball. Especially Tyrus given that he was the successful "make-up" for the Curry miss... and then we traded away LaMarcus frikken Aldridge for him.

Before then, another super-talented guy who never failed to disappoint - Eddie Robinson. And Jalen Rose. And Dwayne Wade for a season. And washed Ben Wallace. And Doug McDermott.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#51 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:20 pm

League Circles wrote:Looking at the OP list I almost have to say Marcus Fizer. The guy was an absolute beast in college, was drafted 4th overall, given plenty of opportunity and really just couldn't do ANYTHING well at the NBA level.

Whoa whoa whoa Dwyane Wade OBVIOUSLY deserves strong consideration. I had forgot about him.

Wade wasn’t terrible, the situation was. He played better for the Bulls than he did the Cavs or the heat after. It as also the last trip to the playoffs. I always hated the signing because we were in tank mode and quickly changed directions. I hated Hoiberg more than anything and actually stopped watching the Bulls when he got hired, well at least with any intensity. I was pissed over them letting Thibs go for Hoiberg. Still pissed lol. All that being said the 3 Alpha’s weren’t as bad it seemed. Totally jatable team but they weren’t the worst team ever. Kinda like VDN, his two seasons he coached .500 ball but you would have thought his record was worse than Floyd’s or Hoiberg
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#52 » by Red8911 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:56 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
League Circles wrote:Looking at the OP list I almost have to say Marcus Fizer. The guy was an absolute beast in college, was drafted 4th overall, given plenty of opportunity and really just couldn't do ANYTHING well at the NBA level.

Wade wasn’t terrible, the situation was. He played better for the Bulls than he did the Cavs or the heat after. It as also the last trip to the playoffs. I always hated the signing because we were in tank mode and quickly changed directions. I hated Hoiberg more than anything and actually stopped watching the Bulls when he got hired, well at least with any intensity. I was pissed over them letting Thibs go for Hoiberg. Still pissed lol. All that being said the 3 Alpha’s weren’t as bad it seemed. Totally jatable team but they weren’t the worst team ever. Kinda like VDN, his two seasons he coached .500 ball but you would have thought his record was worse than Floyd’s or Hoiberg
No Wade was terrible as a Bull and worst part he had the nerve to point fingers blaming his teammates and acted like he was still a superstar that was above everyone else. Rondo was actually good here even though he was in the doghouse for a bit.

I agree about Hoiberg, he was probably worst coach the bulls ever had( yes worse than Boylen). The problem wasn’t that they fired Thibs or hired Hoiberg, it’s the fact that they kept him for so long after seeing he’s not qualified for the job. Honestly should have been fired a month after he was hired.
iqureshi
Junior
And1: 211

Post#53 » by iqureshi » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:12 pm

I dont know how this isn't unanimous D ROSE

nothing is even close.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,335

Post#54 » by drosestruts » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:58 pm

Viktor Khryapa... oh wait, no the other guy in that trade - Tyrus Thomas.

Thomas was a tough one to get over because of the trade ad LaMarcus Aldridge for Thomas and Khrypa. Khryapa never did anything ever for us, and Thomas was so much worse than Aldridge. That one was a huge bummer.

Second place for me is Dwyane Wade. Wade was looking for one last big payday and we gave it to him, but man, he just wasn't the same guy anymore. We've signed other, old, past their prime free agents - but never at that cost and none others led to such a divisive and broken locker room. Was was a sleeper cell for getting Jimmy to Miami - that's a conspiracy theory I fully support.

Boozer has been mentioned a lot and yeah he was disappointing but he was decent and liked by his teammates.

Wade created a toxic environment that led to our best player in decades wanting out.

Return to Chicago Bulls