John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,175

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#21 » by brutalitops » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:22 pm

The rockets and the young frontcourt of KPJ and Green are really bad at playing within a tempo

Rockets need to find a vet PG who can still control the game and can pass. I wonder where they will find one?

Maybe the dude sucking 1/3rd of your cap sitting. Sure hes not your future, But 10-15MPG will help the Rockets massively in development, They aint going to slip out of the bottom 3, They need on-court leadership
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#22 » by Statlanta » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:23 pm

How do Houston fans feel paying him to sit?
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#23 » by ZombieKilla » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:29 pm

Statlanta wrote:How do Houston fans feel paying him to sit?

I want him to play.
The Rockets biggest need right now is a true point guard.
Stone (GM) made the dumb decision in the off-season to sit him.
I don’t think he’s going to give in and admit he was wrong by playing him now.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#24 » by kuclas » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:30 pm

Nba teams are required to pay all
Their players a certain amount totals under the salary cap. So as long as Houston is meeting the minimum salary total team requirement. They are fine paying John wall to sit. Now imagine if they were in the luxury cap tax. They would try to unload him.

It all about
1. Tanking
2. Staying within salary cap minimum limit (yes there is a salary cap minimum limit)
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#25 » by johanliebert » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:36 pm

His salary wont draw him any sympathy on this board lol. Hes right however they are robbing him of games the game isn't forever.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#26 » by johanliebert » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:36 pm

Statlanta wrote:How do Houston fans feel paying him to sit?

They dont pay the salaries and im sure they're all in on tanking.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,247

Post#27 » by mademan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:42 pm

He deserves to play and the Rockets should be getting criticism for what theyre doing. He's objectively better than the guys playing in front of him and if Wall is able to play, he should be playing.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,380

Post#28 » by Jimmy Recard » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:56 pm

Does the Rockets FO really think playing Wall will stunt the young guys development and/or hurt their tank? They suck with or without him, but at least he can help these young dudes be somewhat competitive each night.

I don’t see why they can’t play him 20-25 mins a game. Just bench him in the fourth quarter if the game is too close.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#29 » by BNM » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:58 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:Please someone punish me by paying me $40 million a year to sit at home. Please. Hurt me like this.

Or, better still, pay me $40 million and give me courtside seats for 82 NBA games (even if I have to watch HOU suck it up all 82 times, at least I get to see the talent of other teams on display).

Serious question: why did HOU want to pay him to sit? Is it because he is injury prone and they think a healthy John Wall is a tradeable commodity (seems like a stretch, but I thought the same thing about Westbrook and look at the haul WAS got to get out from under that contract)? Or, is it simply because they don't want him taking minutes away from their young guys (seems like they could use a little veteran guidance on the court to help with their development).
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#30 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:16 am

bbalnation wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:Please someone punish me by paying me $40 million a year to sit at home. Please. Hurt me like this.

Spoiler:

Not sure how you think employment works in your world.

Hes being paid to play basketball, not sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. Hes better than the players that are playing in front of him. The fact hes not able to play at ALL is questionable at best.

hes injury prone resting him is way better for next contract.
anyone would prefer sitting while making 40. this isnt lebron with freak injury who can recover instantly.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,137

Post#31 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:20 am

Yeah that kind of sucks for him but at least he's got $80 mill still coming.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#32 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:28 am

1) John, you're STEALING money. Bonnie & Clyde ain't got nothing on you. Certainly not the amount of $$ taken. you're getting paid $40 million to sit on your ass. Most of your audience here is getting paid about that number, minus 3 zeroes. You can of course control this situation, all you have to do is agree to give back some of the money you're stealing. Otherwise, quit whining.

2) That said, this ABSOLUTELY as a matter of NBA rule, for the sake of the entire competitive culture of the league, should NOT be allowed. Former All-Star who still averaged (an inefficient) 20ppg last year being intentionally sat by the league's worst team. That's Major League type stuff, and they should fine the Rockets so much that Timan's cheap ass puckers.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,052

Post#33 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 am

bbalnation wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
Not sure how you think employment works in your world.

Hes being paid to play basketball, not sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. Hes better than the players that are playing in front of him. The fact hes not able to play at ALL is questionable at best.

Except he agreed to sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. The face he's not able to play may be questionable but he was fine with it, hence why he agreed to it.

Clearly hes not fine with it, hes complaining about it on social media. It's not like he was given many options? If he complained about it, especially with the Ben Simmons saga going on, it wouldn't look so great. People would tell him to take a buyout if he wanted to play, which is absurd.

My speculation is that John has gone to the Rockets and asked to play. Im not sure from what point. They've rejected his attempt to play basketball: fulfill his contractual obligations.

My speculation is based off the tweet... hes saying he wants to play. If he can't be traded (which hes accepted), and he can't be bought out for the amount he want (which hes accepted), then he wants to play the sport he loves and showcase his talent (whether to increase his value or prove the haters wrong: there are so many incentives for him to play right now versus sitting on the bench).

You can call me speculative. But hes expressed his frustration and displeasure. Thats how I read the situation, with the facts that are in front of us right now. When John leaves Houston, whether via trade or contract expiration/buyout, well learn more if he wants to share.
He very easily could've changed his mind but initially he was fine with sitting out.

https://www.bleachernation.com/bulls/2021/09/14/the-rockets-have-reportedly-agreed-to-sit-john-wall-until-they-find-him-a-new-team/

"John Wall and the Rockets front office have reportedly agreed that the 5x All-Star will not again suit up for the franchise".
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#34 » by BallerTalk » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:42 am

Like John Wall, I'm gonna sit this one out :lol:

...and wait to see if anyone gets close to the actual facts of the situation in this thread.

You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,790

Post#35 » by JJ_PR » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:50 am

Houston doesn't want to hurt the tank job. They're doing the right thing. Mediocrity in the NBA is the worst place to be in as a team.

If Wall really wants to play, he should negotiate a buyout.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,258

Post#36 » by kodo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:56 am

How is a $40M not playing, but when the Bulls sit Robin Lopez & Justin Holiday the NBA calls them out for tanking and forces the GM to start them because it's suspected Chicago is trying to lose games. Unreal.

How the NBA polices tanking is wildly biased and opaque.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,710

Post#37 » by basketballRob » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:59 am

He's not good and his career will likely be over after his contract.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,101

Post#38 » by art_tatum » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:43 am

Gramercy Riffs wrote:Why not play him? This is seriously just an overzealous tank job? They don't even owe their 1st round pick to anyone next draft. This makes no sense.

It's cause if wall gets hurt playing (given his medical history) that would kill any value or potential trade they can line up.

I mean i think it's stupid, if he proves his value he might get traded faster. But then again iono any team this season who can eat his contract up. And if he's an expiring next season why does it matter if he's injured. Teams would just want him bc he's expiring?
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,247

Post#39 » by mademan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:44 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Except he agreed to sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. The face he's not able to play may be questionable but he was fine with it, hence why he agreed to it.

Clearly hes not fine with it, hes complaining about it on social media. It's not like he was given many options? If he complained about it, especially with the Ben Simmons saga going on, it wouldn't look so great. People would tell him to take a buyout if he wanted to play, which is absurd.

My speculation is that John has gone to the Rockets and asked to play. Im not sure from what point. They've rejected his attempt to play basketball: fulfill his contractual obligations.

My speculation is based off the tweet... hes saying he wants to play. If he can't be traded (which hes accepted), and he can't be bought out for the amount he want (which hes accepted), then he wants to play the sport he loves and showcase his talent (whether to increase his value or prove the haters wrong: there are so many incentives for him to play right now versus sitting on the bench).

You can call me speculative. But hes expressed his frustration and displeasure. Thats how I read the situation, with the facts that are in front of us right now. When John leaves Houston, whether via trade or contract expiration/buyout, well learn more if he wants to share.
He very easily could've changed his mind but initially he was fine with sitting out.

https://www.bleachernation.com/bulls/2021/09/14/the-rockets-have-reportedly-agreed-to-sit-john-wall-until-they-find-him-a-new-team/

"John Wall and the Rockets front office have reportedly agreed that the 5x All-Star will not again suit up for the franchise".

I mean, the report could also just be wrong. On the one hand, you have reported news and on the other you have Wall speaking (tweeting) directly. At the end of the day, Wall is not ok with this right now, and thats what matters. You have a player on your roster who is objectively better than the guys playing in front of him and you're depriving him of playing basketball. Thats not cool
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,901

Post#40 » by CobraCommander » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:24 am

Punish me with 90 mil please....

Houston is punishing their fans

Return to The General Board