Image ImageImage Image

Vuc in Health and Safety Protocol (Shams: Will be out 10 days/6 games)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Re: Vuc in Health and Safety Protocol (Shams: Will be out 10 days/6 games) 

Post#221 » by Jvaughn » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:25 pm

jordanwilliams6 wrote:I expect Vuc to probably struggle for a few games and be on a reduced minute allocation. Sounds like he had a decent bout of Covid so I expect his conditioning to be well off for a while.

Well he was already struggling offensively, so that's good. Hopefully don't see too much of a fall off. I do expect there to be a slight conditioning issue. I didn't gain my wind back after covid for months.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
RagingBull316
Rookie
And1: 911

Post#222 » by RagingBull316 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:50 am

I really hope when Vuc comes back, that Derrick Jones Jr. doesn't end up back stuck on the bench like he was early in the season.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#223 » by Muzbar » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:00 am

RagingBull316 wrote:I really hope when Vuc comes back, that Derrick Jones Jr. doesn't end up back stuck on the bench like he was early in the season.

Hopefully BD moves him into the starting line-up along side Vooch.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#224 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:03 am

jordanwilliams6 wrote:I expect Vuc to probably struggle for a few games and be on a reduced minute allocation. Sounds like he had a decent bout of Covid so I expect his conditioning to be well off for a while.

He will rebound and be big body. We need that badly.
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#225 » by BullChit » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:44 am

RagingBull316 wrote:I really hope when Vuc comes back, that Derrick Jones Jr. doesn't end up back stuck on the bench like he was early in the season.

Absolutely no chance of that happening.

The early season benching was due to DJJ coming off an injury and not having his conditioning up to scratch.

I still think he becomes the starting 4 when Vuc comes back.

Caruso back to the bench with Coby off the bench with one of Zach and or DDR at all times.
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#226 » by sco » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:25 pm

BullChit wrote:

The early season benching was due to DJJ coming off an injury and not having his conditioning up to scratch.

Caruso back to the bench with Coby off the bench with one of Zach and or DDR at all times.

For some reason, I doubt DJJ gets the start at PF, but man, he should! Also, I think Green is more effective against bench guys.

The bench has struggled with Caruso playing more with the starters, although, there is no doubt that Caruso should be playing around 30 minutes per game and not 25.
:clap:
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,210

Post#227 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:15 pm

sco wrote:
BullChit wrote:

For some reason, I doubt DJJ gets the start at PF, but man, he should! Also, I think Green is more effective against bench guys.

The bench has struggled with Caruso playing more with the starters, although, there is no doubt that Caruso should be playing around 30 minutes per game and not 25.

Interesting, why don’t you think DJJ gets the start? I think he earned it for one and I think he didn’t get it early in because of conditioning and needing to learn the sets. He has rectified both of those issues and Bradley plus green makes sense off the bench to me.
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#228 » by BullChit » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:25 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
sco wrote:
BullChit wrote:

Interesting, why don’t you think DJJ gets the start? I think he earned it for one and I think he didn’t get it early in because of conditioning and needing to learn the sets. He has rectified both of those issues and Bradley plus green makes sense off the bench to me.

OOo ooo Sco can I guess why you don't think he will get the start?

Years and years of Bulls front office and coaching decision making that led to decisions like Jerian Grant as starting point guard and Keith Bogans at starting shooting gaurd no matter the circumstances???
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#229 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:20 pm

I’m guessing he’ll want to play in Orlando, so that should be the latest we have to wait. Seems like they’re prepping for that return.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
sco
RealGM

Post#230 » by sco » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:54 pm

BullChit wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
sco wrote:For some reason, I doubt DJJ gets the start at PF, but man, he should! Also, I think Green is more effective against bench guys.

OOo ooo Sco can I guess why you don't think he will get the start?

Years and years of Bulls front office and coaching decision making that led to decisions like Jerian Grant as starting point guard and Keith Bogans at starting shooting gaurd no matter the circumstances???

I definitely want DJJ to start, but IMO, Billy will reward Caruso and keep him a starter (and it has worked well) or he will return to his original line-up with Green.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#231 » by Pax for Prez » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:45 pm

Chicago Bulls center Nikola Vucevic will return tonight. The Bulls are set to take on the 1-16 Houston Rockets in Houston. According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Vucevic will play limited minutes in his return to action.

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/11/24/bulls-nikola-vucevic-to-return-tonight-vs-rockets/
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#232 » by mack2354 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:38 pm

DJJ has been playing back-up C. He has shined in the PnR by being more decisive and finishing stronger at the rim then what Bradley has been doing. I don't think it makes sense for him to start. Vuc is the better passer, mid ranch shooter, and before this season the way better 3pt shooter. Jones starting at PF will mean he will be standing in the corner for catch and shoot 3's which isn't his strong suit. The other option is running the action with him and having our All Star Center off in the corner which wastes his abilities and his 3 ball has been off this season.

I think DJJ takes the back up C role with the second unit knocking Bradley out of the rotation. There hasn't been many times where we have 2 horrible 3pt shooters on the floor at the same time.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,210

Post#233 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:36 pm

Pax for Prez wrote:Chicago Bulls center Nikola Vucevic will return tonight. The Bulls are set to take on the 1-16 Houston Rockets in Houston. According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Vucevic will play limited minutes in his return to action.

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/11/24/bulls-nikola-vucevic-to-return-tonight-vs-rockets/

Vuc came back quicker than Embiid did, I think they both got a pretty good case of the breakthrough.
sco
RealGM

Post#234 » by sco » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:51 pm

I thought Vuc looked pretty good last night given the layoff.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,707

Post#235 » by dougthonus » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:21 pm

sco wrote:I thought Vuc looked pretty good last night given the layoff.

Got pretty outplayed by the Rockets centers be it Wood or Sengun while on the floor. Did some things that looked okay, had the same problems as earlier in the year, just couldn't finish his looks.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM

Post#236 » by sco » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:01 pm

dougthonus wrote:

Got pretty outplayed by the Rockets centers be it Wood or Sengun while on the floor. Did some things that looked okay, had the same problems as earlier in the year, just couldn't finish his looks.

Sure, but both of those guys are pretty capable perimeter and at the rim scorers. Vuc's gonna struggle most nights against those sorts of match-ups.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#237 » by dougthonus » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:42 pm

sco wrote:Sure, but both of those guys are pretty capable perimeter and at the rim scorers. Vuc's gonna struggle most nights against those sorts of match-ups.

What type of matchups is Vuc not going to struggle with?

Right now, things Vuc can do well:
1: Defensive rebounds
2: Pass the ball off the pick and roll when we find him in the middle of the floor

Right now, things Vuc can't do well:
1: Score in the post
2: Score from the perimeter
3: Defend his man
4: Play help defense
5: Probably any other skill I haven't mentioned more or less

The expectations for this guy seem to have fallen to basically nothing. People are now excited when he doesn't totally crap the bed. A game like yesterday should be his off night, not his normal night, but this season it has been his normal night. This is a guy you would expect to at least occasionally score 30 and dominate his opponent and regularly win his matchup.

Coming back from COVID, it was what it was. I didn't have expectations for him to breakout in his first game back or anything. At the same time, I didn't find anything here to be excited about either.
@doug_thonus on twitter
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,236

Post#238 » by kodo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:30 pm

Vuc's man scored a ton of 3s because our defense by design gives up open 3s. This is 100% intentional, the entire team plays this way. They collapse the paint hard and leave the men open at the 3 point line. Vuc is not close to the only one.

This is late in the Rockets game, where we just gave up 3 after 3 non-stop. That many 3s isn't a lucky Rockets streak, it's a pattern.

So here we have
1. 3 Bulls players defending Eric Gordon, because he's an MVP HOF player requiring a triple team
2. The other 2 Bulls have 1 foot in the paint in case Gordon gets by the initial 3
3. We leave 4 other Rockets players open at the 3 point line for straight C&S shots

The way that game ended was 100% predictable, even if you had Rudy Gobert at the 5. If you leave that many wide open NBA level players, they will hit their 3s.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,049

Post#239 » by FriedRise » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:34 am

kodo wrote:Vuc's man scored a ton of 3s because our defense by design gives up open 3s. This is 100% intentional, the entire team plays this way. They collapse the paint hard and leave the men open at the 3 point line. Vuc is not close to the only one.

This is late in the Rockets game, where we just gave up 3 after 3 non-stop. That many 3s isn't a lucky Rockets streak, it's a pattern.

So here we have
1. 3 Bulls players defending Eric Gordon, because he's an MVP HOF player requiring a triple team
2. The other 2 Bulls have 1 foot in the paint in case Gordon gets by the initial 3
3. We leave 4 other Rockets players open at the 3 point line for straight C&S shots

The way that game ended was 100% predictable, even if you had Rudy Gobert at the 5. If you leave that many wide open NBA level players, they will hit their 3s.

That’s horrible. If the worst rated offense in the league can figure out, execute, and spank us like that, I fear for what we will look like defensively moving forward.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#240 » by dougthonus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:15 pm

sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Sure, but both of those guys are pretty capable perimeter and at the rim scorers. Vuc's gonna struggle most nights against those sorts of match-ups.

Is Wendel Carter Jr, the guy we traded to get Vuc (along with 2 1sts) also the type of guy that Vuc is going to struggle with?

At least we got the win.

Not sure how much (if at all) that his COVID is a factor, but another game another domination by the opposing center.
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls