Are the Spurs last few seasons going to hurt Pop's reputation?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Are the Spurs last few seasons going to hurt Pop's reputation? 

Post#1 » by ceiling raiser » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:26 am

Rightly or wrongly, there's a lot of "what have you done for me lately" when people rate the careers of coaches. Other guys in the pantheon of great coaches didn't really stay around for terrible seasons, or at least had talent in those seasons:

Auerbach - Literally retired after an 8-peat lol and they failed to win a title for the first time since 1968 the next year.
Riley - He stayed around for that awful 07-08 season, however they did still have Wade and had Shaq for some time. He also transitioned back to the front office full time, and they won more.
Jackson - Retired after 2011. They still had Kobe and Pau, too. He wasn't a very good executive for the Knicks but people have mostly forgotten this.

These aren't the "best" three coaches all-time, per se (Daly, Hannum, Rudy T, all won multiple titles with high levels of difficulty, and frankly the single title that Brown, Bud, Carisle, Ramsay, and Nurse won were all nearly as impressive as multiple title runs from other coaches), but this is really Pop's competition all-time for "greatest" coaches.

The only other coaches all-time with 3+ championships are Kundla (who seems to be hand-waved away since his titles were pre-shot clock, even if this might be unfair) and Kerr (who is still early in his career). Honestly, if the Warriors win another ring post-KD, Kerr might get the nod over Pop among some.

All legendary coaches had legendary players, but I wonder if Popovich will be viewed as a product of Duncan, and to a lesser degree Robinson, Ginobili, and Leonard. Especially if they don't finish on a high note following a rebuild.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,314

Re: Are the Spurs last few seasons going to hurt Pop's reputation? 

Post#2 » by The High Cyde » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:09 am

No, I think his legacy is pretty much set. Which is a strong candidate for the GOAT coach.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,726

Post#3 » by naabzor » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:49 am

Lol close this thread please.
Rich Michmond
Sixth Man
And1: 2,971
Location: российско-немецкий кондоминиум под еврейским доверительным управлением

Post#4 » by Rich Michmond » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:52 am

No, many successful coaches had mediocre stints at the end of their careers (Holzman, Motta, Adelman, Karl) and nobody seems to care.
Gordon Haywood, Dwayne Wade, JJ Reddick, Derek Rose, Derrick Fisher, Lenny Wilkins, Kirk Heinrich, Oscar Robinson, DeMar DeRozen, Andre Iguadola, Pascal Siakim, Malcolm Brogdan
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by ceiling raiser » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:54 am

Rich Michmond wrote:No, many successful coaches had mediocre stints at the end of their careers (Holzman, Motta, Adelman, Karl) and nobody seems to care.

I don't disagree that Pop will be viewed as a successful coach. I just wonder if this hurts him in comparison to Auerbach, Riley, Jackson, and will to some extent vs Kerr. Those are his peers in terms of achievement all-time.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,171

Post#6 » by brutalitops » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:44 am

Nope
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#7 » by JN61 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:01 am

People forget these things and nobody pays attention to spurs failures at this point anyway so it's all good.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#8 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 am

I love and respect what Pop has done for the game. His players went to war for him and still adore him... they have the bruises and trophies to show for it. What's more the guy has been doing more with less since Duncan, Manu, and Tony retired...

But I'm sure if you asked Pop, he would say that yes, these past few years of mediocrity do add at least a smudge.
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,137

Post#9 » by AdagioPace » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:47 am

he had the balls to stay and coach a **** team (unlike Phil Jackson). His legacy doesn't depend on Keldon Johnson and Lonnie Walker's FG%
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Fadeaway_Jumper
Rookie
And1: 2,754

Post#10 » by Fadeaway_Jumper » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:11 pm

Nick Nurse has been a better coach then Popavich over the past few years. Even this year with less talent Raptors have a better record. I think Nurse is really underrated and Popavich has been overrated
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,454

Post#11 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:15 pm

Doubt it changes anything, but for me I'll never really see Pop as a coach. he's the president of basketball operations. His role is far larger than that of just a coach.
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,195

Post#12 » by QingJames » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:26 pm

Fadeaway_Jumper wrote:Nick Nurse has been a better coach then Popavich over the past few years. Even this year with less talent Raptors have a better record. I think Nurse is really underrated and Popavich has been overrated

I don’t think Nurse has less talent than Pop this year. And he’s not close to Pop in overall greatness right now. But I do think it was conspicuous that OP included Bud’s single title run as one of the most difficult ever but left Nurse off that list. Also kinda conspicuous that Spo wasn’t mentioned at all in the OP.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,732

Post#13 » by hauntedcomputer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:34 pm

Only on RealGM do fans have the attention span of a gnat. In ten years, his entire body of work will be there as a mass, crushing the minds of weak message-board arguments.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by ceiling raiser » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:06 pm

QingJames wrote:I don’t think Nurse has less talent than Pop this year. And he’s not close to Pop in overall greatness right now. But I do think it was conspicuous that OP included Bud’s single title run as one of the most difficult ever but left Nurse off that list. Also kinda conspicuous that Spo wasn’t mentioned at all in the OP.

Nurse is a good mention, I'll add him.

Spo only won two titles, neither of which was a high degree of difficulty, so he wouldn't qualify.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,363

Post#15 » by Saul Goodman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:18 pm

No he’s firmly set. 20 straight in the playoffs is next to impossible feat. I think there should be more to be said about his love and dedication to the game at this point more than just pure wins and losses. Eventually if you stay coaching long enough you’re going to end up coaching bad teams but the fact that he’s still going shows more than just pure wins and losses at this point.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#16 » by LofJ » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:33 pm

They have the least amount of talent in the league after the Rockets, Thunder, and Pistons. If anything they're slightly better record wise than you'd expect them to be.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,284

Post#17 » by Bornstellar » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:38 pm

Lol no. He is one of the top 3 GOAT coaches and had probably the most impressive coaching job of all time from 2012-2014. Have you seen our rosters the last couple of years? No coach in history is doing anything with those teams
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,890

Post#18 » by ItsDanger » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:47 pm

Best coaches get the most out of the least. Tim retired when?
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#19 » by Slim Charlez » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:49 pm

Here comes the monthly RealGm Pop bashing.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#20 » by Slim Charlez » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Fadeaway_Jumper wrote:Nick Nurse has been a better coach then Popavich over the past few years. Even this year with less talent Raptors have a better record. I think Nurse is really underrated and Popavich has been overrated

Huh??? Have you actually seen both rosters? The Raptors have Siakam, Scottie Barnes, OG, FVV while the Spurs have Dejounte Murray and?.... IDK who this Popavich is, but Nick Nurse definitely has a better roster to work with than Popovich.

Return to The General Board