Player mental health

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,063

Player mental health 

Post#1 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:26 am

it seems to be getting worse and worse by the year. To me, i see a lot of players struggling in this regard whether its malik beasly and wound up in jail, to markelle fultz, to ben simmons, and hell, even lebron james just swung on a player whos name he didnt know because he was crumbling under the pressure of being down to the pistons after getting blown out by boston.

these players are probably under the most pressure you can put an athelte under on an everyday basis, just due to how important 1 or two guys can be on the floor, the money, the negativity on social media and forums, and the 247 sports news cycle. I understand dealing with this is how they make all the money, but can you think ofs anything the players or the league can do to have less guys fall off the rails so often? it seems like the NBA is basically set up to drive players nuts right now, and the money wouldnt be there without it.

There are probably countless players dealing with issues and they are just introverted about it so I can only imagine how widespread this is.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Re: Player mental health 

Post#2 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:00 am

Mental health is getting worse for the public as a whole, so IMO it's just an extension of that rather than anything specific going on with the league. No doubt social media plays a part but again that is true for pretty much everybody on those platforms.

If anyone is considering it, I deleted social media about 6 months ago and have been noticeably happier/more productive as a result. Different strokes for different folks but that's been my experience.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#3 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:18 am

Maybe they should reinstitute 4 year college requirement before pro’s. Everyone looking to cash in on young players who didn’t have anytime to grow up and have a normal life. After dealing with college roommates the NBA should be a breeze.
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#4 » by ken6199 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:29 am

Social media is one big killer for those guys. I say let their PR team deal with it, and keep themselves away from social media as far as possible (easier said then done, I know). Can you imagine what kind of a player KD can be if he never uses twitter?

One thing I really dislike seeing though is like those IG models, one day they post pictures of them on the beach in a bathing suit, the next day they talk about their anxieties or some story of them crying in the bed feeling hurt by whatever. Wow, so brave, so courageous. That to me is a disservice to those who really suffer from mental health issues. Teenagers do take social media very seriously so as a result their view on mental health gets skewed as well, and that goes into a bad cycle. We can only start taking mental health seriously by weeding out the manufactured ones.

Conclusion: get away from social media, don't take them seriously, but instead post on some old fashioned forum like realgm.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,222

Post#5 » by Dan Z » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:30 am

I don't think what LeBron James did to Isaiah Stewart was a mental health issue.

But I do agree that what GeorgeMarcus says above in his post.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,425

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:42 am

ken6199 wrote:Social media is one big killer for those guys. I say let their PR team deal with it, and keep themselves away from social media as far as possible (easier said then done, I know). Can you imagine what kind of a player KD can be if he never uses twitter?

One thing I really dislike seeing though is like those IG models, one day they post pictures of them on the beach in a bathing suit, the next day they talk about their anxieties or some story of them crying in the bed feeling hurt by whatever. Wow, so brave, so courageous. That to me is a disservice to those who really suffer from mental health issues. Teenagers do take social media very seriously so as a result their view on mental health gets skewed as well, and that goes into a bad cycle. We can only start taking mental health seriously by weeding out the manufactured ones.

Conclusion: get away from social media, don't take them seriously, but instead post on some old fashioned forum like realgm.

Yup.

I certainly don't envy professional athletes & public figures. What they deal with on a daily basis with the presence of social media today is insane.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
styLesdavis
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#7 » by styLesdavis » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:23 am

Talking about "mental health" when a player swung at another player because they were down a few points against the pistons might not cut it. There are people who are dealing with heavy forms of depression on a daily basis so "being down on one day" should not be the same.

Don`t get me wrong. "Mental health" is important for everyone who is dealing with it but a depression isn`t something like "having a bad day" or "suffering from a break up".
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,177

Post#8 » by mowcrowbar » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:38 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:it seems to be getting worse and worse by the year. To me, i see a lot of players struggling in this regard whether its malik beasly and wound up in jail, to markelle fultz, to ben simmons, and hell, even lebron james just swung on a player whos name he didnt know because he was crumbling under the pressure of being down to the pistons after getting blown out by boston.

these players are probably under the most pressure you can put an athelte under on an everyday basis, just due to how important 1 or two guys can be on the floor, the money, the negativity on social media and forums, and the 247 sports news cycle. I understand dealing with this is how they make all the money, but can you think ofs anything the players or the league can do to have less guys fall off the rails so often? it seems like the NBA is basically set up to drive players nuts right now, and the money wouldnt be there without it.

There are probably countless players dealing with issues and they are just introverted about it so I can only imagine how widespread this is.

Agenda much?
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,063

Post#9 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:50 am

mowcrowbar wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:it seems to be getting worse and worse by the year. To me, i see a lot of players struggling in this regard whether its malik beasly and wound up in jail, to markelle fultz, to ben simmons, and hell, even lebron james just swung on a player whos name he didnt know because he was crumbling under the pressure of being down to the pistons after getting blown out by boston.

Agenda much?

Not at all, I totally think he did it on purpose, but I don’t think it had anything to do with Stewart, it just looked like and angry mental breakdown. 24 hours prior and during this game Lebron didn’t look like himself, he was super critical of his teammates in the post game after Boston, then during this game he was hating every time they made a mistake and it hurt their confidence: that’s why the lakers came back and won. That anger from that elbow was for his teams poor play , not because some kid was locking him up on a made free throw
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#10 » by hauntedcomputer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:38 pm

NBA players are remarkable fortresses of calm in their multi-millionaire mansions, chartered jets, and guaranteed contracts. It's the rest of us that are going collectively insane. Look at us, we argue over laundry.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#11 » by Black Mage » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:23 pm

I don't know if it is getting worse or it is just being covered more and openly discussed by players more. I wouldn't be surprised if this was always a problem but in the earlier generations players turned to alcohol and drugs as a coping mechanism.

I would also agree, social media is a plague and it is negatively harming the collective mental health of humanity.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,363

Post#12 » by Saul Goodman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:21 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Mental health is getting worse for the public as a whole, so IMO it's just an extension of that rather than anything specific going on with the league. No doubt social media plays a part but again that is true for pretty much everybody on those platforms.

If anyone is considering it, I deleted social media about 6 months ago and have been noticeably happier/more productive as a result. Different strokes for different folks but that's been my experience.

Can confirm. Getting away from social media has made me much happier and clearer of mind. You don’t even need to delete them per say if you just take it off your phone you won’t have a constant flow of crap hitting you 24/7
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#13 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:23 pm

Mental health was always an issue, these guys just have enough power now and the stigma is low enough they can demand care for it.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,112

Post#14 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:24 pm

All this just to take a shot at LeBron.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,205

Post#15 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:01 pm

Mental health is not getting worse than before, people are just more aware of it today. It's like cancer 1000 years ago. People still got cancer back then, they just did not know they actually died from cancer.

Just think about it. Being able to survive during the 1500s. Getting enough food was a huge challenge, having 10 children, 7 of them died before the age of one. Just think of that mental hell. You guys don't think they had mental health problems compared to our society today.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,323

Post#16 » by hardenASG13 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:07 pm

Dont feel any sympathy for nba players mental health. They live a life of luxury and their job is a dream come true to almost anyone who ever picked up a basketball. They dont have the stress of needing money for bills, having to work overtime to make ends meet, etc. They fly city to city where they are treated to luxury and a city and that pays a lot of money to come see them every night. They also can get any woman they want if they arent married in such cities.They can ignore social media if its bothering them (its true, you just dont have to open it up), or go the KD route and just say "you broke" to random idiots who trash them online. Its not a bad life.
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#17 » by ArtMorte » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:09 pm

I might be worried if it was something malicious that was being done to them, but all they have to do is play basketball and earn millions. I ain't feeling sorry for that. Retire early if it's killing you. So many people feel like **** and have no option but to go to work, there's no way I'm gonna start worrying for these guys' mental health.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,159

Post#18 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:12 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:Dont feel any sympathy for nba players mental health. They live a life of luxury and their job is a dream come true to almost anyone who ever picked up a basketball. They dont have the stress of needing money for bills, having to work overtime to make ends meet, etc. They fly city to city where they are treated to luxury and a city and that pays a lot of money to come see them every night. They also can get any woman they want if they arent married in such cities.They can ignore social media if its bothering them (its true, you just dont have to open it up), or go the KD route and just say "you broke" to random idiots who trash them online. Its not a bad life.

mo money mo problems
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Rodwilliams
Bench Warmer
And1: 962

Post#19 » by Rodwilliams » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:13 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:Mental health is getting worse for the public as a whole, so IMO it's just an extension of that rather than anything specific going on with the league. No doubt social media plays a part but again that is true for pretty much everybody on those platforms.

Can confirm. Getting away from social media has made me much happier and clearer of mind. You don’t even need to delete them per say if you just take it off your phone you won’t have a constant flow of crap hitting you 24/7

Y’all really deleted y’all social media? People also use it to keep in touch with family and friends as well. I do agree that it can be toxic sometimes but if I delete it I would feel like I’m out of the loop, feel like I may miss something.
Harry Garris wrote: Curry can turn non playoff teams into title contenders.

Not if the team doesn’t have elite defenders[/quote]
What a pointless statement.Every Finals team had elite role players[/quote]
Rodwilliams wrote:Duh!Thats what I just said. Eat your own words
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,490

Post#20 » by Hipster Doofus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:15 pm

Get rid of your social media for God's sake and enjoy your new-found free time as you please doing what makes you happy.

Follow Lush Cosmetics' example: https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/11/23/lush-quits-facebook-instagram-snapchat-and-tiktok-saying-it-has-had-enough-of-social-media
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.

Return to The General Board