Wood for Derrick White

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,151

Wood for Derrick White 

Post#1 » by durantbird » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:09 pm

It may be a little off for Houston, but fit wise it seems a good trade for both teams. Not sure either rebuilding team will want to add picks here, but maybe there could be some other compensation for some side.

Houston needs their defensive PG next to Green/Porter, and leave more minutes for the development of Sengun. Starting lineup is White Green Martin Tate Sengun.

Spurs get a very interesting fit next to Poeltl and less undersized PF compared to Keldon. Starting lineup is Murray Vassell Keldon Wood Poeltl.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Re: Wood for Derrick White 

Post#2 » by Chinook » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:15 pm

Nope. Johnson is a PF. He may not be a good PF, but he's not a wing. I remain skeptical of Wood at PF anyway. The Spurs can wait until the draft to get their new forward. I wouldn't want them to make a desperate win-now trade like this given how far down they already are and how many problems they have already.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,415

Post#3 » by ThatBoyNick » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:02 pm

I like the base of it, I feel like some value should be added from the Spurs end. I think it balances both teams and could work out to be a win win
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#4 » by NYG » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:21 am

I think the value is fair, I just think both teams prefer to keep their guy in real life. I think the Rockets like Wood a lot and the Spurs like White a lot so even taking fit into account, I don't think they would see any reason to make a 1-for-1 swap unless one side loved the deal enough to add something on.

Cliff notes: It's fair, but unrealistic if there isn't incentive added.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#5 » by NYG » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:22 am

Chinook wrote:Nope. Johnson is a PF. He may not be a good PF, but he's not a wing. I remain skeptical of Wood at PF anyway. The Spurs can wait until the draft to get their new forward. I wouldn't want them to make a desperate win-now trade like this given how far down they already are and how many problems they have already.

Adding House help?
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#6 » by LAL1947 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:44 am

I'd like to see something like this TBH: Christian Wood for Josh Primo + Zach Collins.

Spurs get their floor-spacing PF/C.
- Murray, White, Vassell/Keldon, Wood, Poeltl

For Houston... I don't usually like 3 guard lineups, but this could end up being fun.
- Primo, Green, KPJ, Garuba, Sengun
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Chinook » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:16 am

LAL1947 wrote:I'd like to see something like this TBH: Christian Wood for Josh Primo + Zach Collins.

Spurs get their floor-spacing PF/C.
- Murray, White, Vassell/Keldon, Wood, Poeltl

For Houston... I don't usually like 3 guard lineups, but this could end up being fun.
- Primo, Green, KPJ, Garuba, Sengun

This is way worse. There's no universe in which the Spurs trade their newest (and possibly best) prospect for meh win-now help at a position they're already five-deep at.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Chinook » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:18 am

NYG wrote:
Chinook wrote:Nope. Johnson is a PF. He may not be a good PF, but he's not a wing. I remain skeptical of Wood at PF anyway. The Spurs can wait until the draft to get their new forward. I wouldn't want them to make a desperate win-now trade like this given how far down they already are and how many problems they have already.

Adding House help?

Not for me. Adding more win-now players doesn't really change the fact that the direction is wrong, and the premise of getting a four to move Johnson to SF is basically DOA from my eyes.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,503

Post#9 » by HornetJail » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:46 am

I'm confused. If Johnson is a PF but not a good one as you say, but also can't play on the wing, doesn't that make him simply not that good? why is he standing in the way of a Christian Wood trade? I don't know much about Johnson but I'm not understanding the logic here.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,415

Post#10 » by ThatBoyNick » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:14 am

The league is starting to play bigger again it feels like, bigs are starting to adapt their games to the modern pace and space, teams are starting to have their cake and eat it too, stretch the floor while playing interior D and grabbing boards.

Maybe it's because I was a witness to PJ and Covington starting lineups and undersized teams for years and I got tired of it, but I'd definitely go bigger if I could. 6'5 220 is a great size for a SF. The difference between a SF and PF is pretty much nonexistent on offense anymore, so is the claim that Keldon can't move his feet to stay in front of the average SF on D?
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#11 » by ZombieKilla » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:16 am

Theis might be available.
The 2 big lineup isn’t working and I doubt they’ll trade Wood when they can get value for Theis.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Chinook » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:01 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

I'm confused. If Johnson is a PF but not a good one as you say, but also can't play on the wing, doesn't that make him simply not that good? why is he standing in the way of a Christian Wood trade? I don't know much about Johnson but I'm not understanding the logic here.

Basically Johnson is a PF, so getting a bigger guy to move Keldon to SF doesn't make sense. The Wood trade fails on its own merits, as I've said multiple times. But the logic I think motivated this suggestion (thanks for a thread by a fellow Spurs fan) is wrong in my book, and I felt it necessary to address that. If Keldon is going to succeed, I believe he'll have to do it at PF, so I have no interest in making a move for a vet four unless it involves Johnson going out and isn't a panic move like this.

Return to Trades and Transactions