John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#61 » by MikeM » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:07 am

The fact the NBA stands by idly, while a professional team chooses not to play arguably its best player, is embarrassing.

And the fact that the Rockets think their players will develop quicker with this guy in street clothes is even more embarrassing. Are they paying attention to what they're rolling out there? John Wall could coach them better than Silas with the ball in his hands.
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,324

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#62 » by Bolivar » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:09 am

Is he allowed to play some pick-up basketball with friends and random NBA fans? Sounds more competitive than whatever Houston has going on.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,379

Post#63 » by robillionaire » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:13 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
nfmos wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
He's being paid $40+ million to do nothing, I don't feel bad for him. Doubly he agreed to do nothing, wasn't without his consent, so again, don't feel bad for him.

All he has to do is give up money and he can play within 48 hours of that buyout clearing.

But thats a bs move by that organization and im sure other players and free agents will remember that in the future. If they are telling him if you really want to play, take a cut-rate buyout and we will release you to go play, or otherwise be quiet and get your money, then they are basically waiting him out to see if he folds and gives up money. Are they even trying to find a trade partner, or just waiting for him to cave?

If an organization starts punishing players for their previously agreed to contracts by letting them rot on the bench unless they take a cut, how many premier players are going to want to play for that owner?

How is that a bad move? They consulted with Wall and he agreed to this setup of being paid, not playing, still being allowed to use the team facilities to stay in shape, and they will field trade calls.

After not even 2 full months since training camp Wall is now having a change of heart. Which he is allowed to do but I don't fault the Rockets for adhering to the agreement that was in place. Wall didn't even wait until December 15th when more players are eligible to be traded.

The dude isn't being punished. He's getting paid $40 million to do nothing like he agreed to.

Well apparently he doesn’t agree with it now so what are they going to do, play him? No they are not going to play him so they can keep tanking… erm, “developing”. So did he ever really have a choice here or maybe he was trying to play good guy and go along team’s request because he thought they were actively trying move him. Meanwhile his fans (yes he has fans) are being robbed of getting to see him play and the other nba fans have to be subjected to this 1-15 team not putting a watchable product out there. Framing it as he should be grateful he’s getting paid to do nothing is BS when the guy has a legacy and maybe he actually loves to play the game? Maybe his work ethic is higher than that of a welfare recipient? I wouldn’t say I feel sorry for him, but I do feel sorry for fans of the NBA who are the actual people being punished because the league is set up like this to promote tanking over all else
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#64 » by Pointgod » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:24 am

For every Ben Simmons situation, there’s 2 or 3 John Wall situations where a player is healthy and wants to play but is told to go home. That’s why I have zero sympathy for NBA front offices because they pull shady **** like this all the time. The league should fine the Rockets for every single game missed by Wall. Tanking doesn’t get more blatant than this. I hope the new CBA addresses this because it’s a bad look for the league.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,053

Post#65 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:44 am

robillionaire wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
nfmos wrote:
But thats a bs move by that organization and im sure other players and free agents will remember that in the future. If they are telling him if you really want to play, take a cut-rate buyout and we will release you to go play, or otherwise be quiet and get your money, then they are basically waiting him out to see if he folds and gives up money. Are they even trying to find a trade partner, or just waiting for him to cave?

If an organization starts punishing players for their previously agreed to contracts by letting them rot on the bench unless they take a cut, how many premier players are going to want to play for that owner?

How is that a bad move? They consulted with Wall and he agreed to this setup of being paid, not playing, still being allowed to use the team facilities to stay in shape, and they will field trade calls.

After not even 2 full months since training camp Wall is now having a change of heart. Which he is allowed to do but I don't fault the Rockets for adhering to the agreement that was in place. Wall didn't even wait until December 15th when more players are eligible to be traded.

The dude isn't being punished. He's getting paid $40 million to do nothing like he agreed to.

Well apparently he doesn’t agree with it now so what are they going to do, play him? No they are not going to play him so they can keep tanking… erm, “developing”. So did he ever really have a choice here or maybe he was trying to play good guy and go along team’s request because he thought they were actively trying move him. Meanwhile his fans (yes he has fans) are being robbed of getting to see him play and the other nba fans have to be subjected to this 1-15 team not putting a watchable product out there. Framing it as he should be grateful he’s getting paid to do nothing is BS when the guy has a legacy and maybe he actually loves to play the game? Maybe his work ethic is higher than that of a welfare recipient? I wouldn’t say I feel sorry for him, but I do feel sorry for fans of the NBA who are the actual people being punished because the league is set up like this to promote tanking over all else

So you want him to be in uniform versus street clothes? A DNP-CD is not greatly different than an inactive lol

What proof is there they haven't tried to trade him? He's old, injury prone, and overpaid, a single one of those variables complicates trades, having them all in one makes a trade impossible. See Love, Kevin for a closer extended 8 year look at this. Wall hasn't even been there 1 full calendar year, this is nothing.

No one is forcing anyone to watch the Rockets and the only person people should blame for John Wall not playing, is John Wall. He can play within 48 hours whenever he wants, the ball is in his court. He's so injury prone, they're probably doing him a favor by not playing him.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,540

Post#66 » by Alatan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:07 am

I bet people that are clamoring for buyouts dont have a dollar to their name.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#68 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:20 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/24/john-wall-rockets-strange-situation

"Teams are interested in Wall but only if he declines his $47 million player option for next season (he won’t) or wriggles free via buyout in this one (he isn’t)".

Wall has a lot of control in this situation.
Maxthirty
Rookie
And1: 2,595

Post#69 » by Maxthirty » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:29 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/24/john-wall-rockets-strange-situation

"Teams are interested in Wall but only if he declines his $47 million player option for next season (he won’t) or wriggles free via buyout in this one (he isn’t)".

He wants to play basketball on the contract that he signed. I don’t see why he should have to be the one to give in. Sure, he could leave his current job for a job that pays way less $. Anyone can do that.
Water makes you weak.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#70 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:57 pm

Maxthirty wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/24/john-wall-rockets-strange-situation

He wants to play basketball on the contract that he signed. I don’t see why he should have to be the one to give in. Sure, he could leave his current job for a job that pays way less $. Anyone can do that.

That is not an option, Wall knew that.

"Wall signaled he was fine with the Rockets’ plan before the season. 'We all came together and decided it was the best decision for both parties,' Wall said in September. He said he planned to be a mentor to Houston’s younger players".

Wall playing a grand total of 113 games over the past 5 seasons is very telling.
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#71 » by reamily » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 pm

I think he is now fine on redempting himself to be a game changer player by helping houston to get out of this mess..
alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,355

Post#72 » by alebaba » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:19 pm

I have him in the Il for my fantasy, if the man wants to play, let him play, dammit!
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,054

Post#73 » by queridiculo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:32 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I thought they were in a agreement not to play like Blake and Detroit. We bought Blake out with a season and half left though and they need to do the same if this is where both sides are at.

Then he can at least go finish out the year with a playoff team somewhere.

Wall wants to play, all this talk about agreements etc. is just posturing.

It's a setup to get Wall to accept a buy out.
Moahst
Senior
And1: 650

Post#74 » by Moahst » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:32 pm

I think what John Wall is trying to say, via a retweet, is that it's uncool that Chris Mannix is tweeting negatively about him in this situation. I still think the decision for Wall not to play this season for the Rockets was mutual. Despite recovering well from his Achilles injury, he's got a lot of miles on his tires and missed a lot of time last season for other things. By not playing he retains most of his value to a contender.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#75 » by queridiculo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:33 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Maxthirty wrote:

"Wall signaled he was fine with the Rockets’ plan before the season. 'We all came together and decided it was the best decision for both parties,' Wall said in September. He said he planned to be a mentor to Houston’s younger players".

Wall playing a grand total of 113 games over the past 5 seasons is very telling.

What else is he going to say?

The Rockets probably said they'd try to find a trade for him but it's a bad faith agreement when the odds are near nil that they'll find a team to take on his contract.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#76 » by queridiculo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:37 pm

Pointgod wrote:For every Ben Simmons situation, there’s 2 or 3 John Wall situations where a player is healthy and wants to play but is told to go home. That’s why I have zero sympathy for NBA front offices because they pull shady **** like this all the time. The league should fine the Rockets for every single game missed by Wall. Tanking doesn’t get more blatant than this. I hope the new CBA addresses this because it’s a bad look for the league.

This x100

All this posturing by teams about wanting to reign in the leverage players have over their clubs is farcical in a league where players are moved and traded like cattle.
srhcan
Starter
And1: 1,537

Post#77 » by srhcan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:39 pm

I think NBA should interfere and fine Rockets for not playing a healthy player who is easily their best player.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,715

Post#78 » by Nate505 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:16 am

queridiculo wrote:
Pointgod wrote:For every Ben Simmons situation, there’s 2 or 3 John Wall situations where a player is healthy and wants to play but is told to go home. That’s why I have zero sympathy for NBA front offices because they pull shady **** like this all the time. The league should fine the Rockets for every single game missed by Wall. Tanking doesn’t get more blatant than this. I hope the new CBA addresses this because it’s a bad look for the league.

This x100

All this posturing by teams about wanting to reign in the leverage players have over their clubs is farcical in a league where players are moved and traded like cattle.

Ahh yes, cattle who are very well compensated financially and signed a contract that allows trades.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,843

Post#79 » by JShuttlesworth » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:23 am

To me it's strange as to why Houston wouldn't get fined for sitting their highest paid player, who is healthy and wants to play basketball. Wall wants to play, he shouldn't have to accept a buyout for anything less than what he's owed.

The league fines teams for resting players, but they're okay with this? It doesn't make sense.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#80 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:23 am

queridiculo wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Maxthirty wrote:He wants to play basketball on the contract that he signed. I don’t see why he should have to be the one to give in. Sure, he could leave his current job for a job that pays way less $. Anyone can do that.

What else is he going to say?

The Rockets probably said they'd try to find a trade for him but it's a bad faith agreement when the odds are near nil that they'll find a team to take on his contract.

I mean, maybe not agree to something he doesn't agree with, for starters.

Its not the Rockets fault Wall is overpaid and injury prone lol

Return to The General Board