John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#81 » by Pharmcat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:41 am

Westbrook for wall. Lakers finally get that pass first pg they need
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#82 » by bullsnewdynasty » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:00 am

It's not the Rockets fault that he's completely untradeable due to his contract.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#83 » by mademan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:10 pm

But ya, it's situations like this that make me have no sympathy for when a player does some dirt to a team like Simmons on Philly. FO's get away with doing guys wrong like this all the time
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#84 » by cl2117 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:20 pm

I feel like there should be some sort of crappy rhyme for this scenario "don't take the dime if you can't do the time".

Can't blame the Rockets for doing what's best for them in terms of long-term development and giving kids chance to play. Wall has fallen off to the point where you can't even recover value for him like CP3/RWB did. Don't think giving him minutes is going to change that given his price tag and injury concern. I get it's frustrating, but you're banking close to $100 million over the next two years. Find a hobby or give some money back. It is what it is.

Silas is really the guy getting punished here. I don't understand how you can build a tanking roster, leave Wall rotting on the sidelines and then try and can the guy for "underperformance".
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,087

Post#85 » by tcheco » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:23 pm

Tricky situation, we might see some new rules being created sooner rather than later.

Even if the Rockets want to tank and preserve his health, it could be ok to have him play 10, 15 minutes every other night at least, no? Sure he still can get injured, but it can also improve his trade value if he manages to elevate the team a bit, and can also help the kids improve.

I mean, if I was Wall, I would at least propose that. I can understand the rockets not wanting to play him 30 minutes a night, but it has to be a common ground if he wants to play
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 799

Post#86 » by Packbuckman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:29 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/24/john-wall-rockets-strange-situation

"Teams are interested in Wall but only if he declines his $47 million player option for next season (he won’t) or wriggles free via buyout in this one (he isn’t)".

Wall has a lot of control in this situation.

Ya that’s some kind of control give up tens of millions of dollars that’s easy for you to say it’s not your money. The Rockets knew how much he was making when they traded for him they should not be able to just sit him thats some bull there.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 4,997

Post#87 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:12 pm

Packbuckman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/24/john-wall-rockets-strange-situation

"Teams are interested in Wall but only if he declines his $47 million player option for next season (he won’t) or wriggles free via buyout in this one (he isn’t)".

Ya that’s some kind of control give up tens of millions of dollars that’s easy for you to say it’s not your money. The Rockets knew how much he was making when they traded for him they should not be able to just sit him thats some bull there.

The man has made over $188 million in just playing salary in his career. He can never get paid another day in his life and his family would be set for generations. The dude owns part of an NBL team for crying out loud. This guy has made almost as much money in endorsements as playing salary in his career.

No NBA team is obligated to play any player. Wall signed a contract, if he doesn't like his situation, he has multiple avenues to get out of it.
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 799

Post#88 » by Packbuckman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:14 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:

The man has made over $188 million in just playing salary in his career. He can never get paid another day in his life and his family would be set for generations. The dude owns part of an NBL team for crying out loud. This guy has made almost as much money in endorsements as playing salary in his career.

No NBA team is obligated to play any player. Wall signed a contract, if he doesn't like his situation, he has multiple avenues to get out of it.

Who cares how much he’s made that has nothing to do about about anything. Why give money back to a team that traded for you they knew what his contract was same as Simmons he knew what he was signing honor the contracts which is to play basketball they should be fined just like Simmons is.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#89 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:31 pm

.01% first world problems

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 4,997

Post#90 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:46 pm

Packbuckman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:

Who cares how much he’s made that has nothing to do about about anything. Why give money back to a team that traded for him they knew what his contract was same as Simmons he knew what he was signing honor the contracts which is to play basketball they should be fined just like Simmons is.

I'll repeat, no team is obligated to play any player. I don't see this same engery for bench scrubs not playing on all 30 teams.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,466

Post#92 » by Jcity08 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:28 am

I'd actually be pissed off more if I was paying a guy $40 mil to ride the bench. But I guess the Rockets are going hard with tanking. Currently the worst team on paper.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,034

Post#93 » by lamscott » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:17 am

Rockets pay him to be a Rocket.

He is a Rocket.

Everything else is just noise.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#94 » by Pythagoras » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 am

Just to recap, the Rockets are telling Wall, that if he doesn’t agree to take a massive buyout to save their BILLIONAIRE owner a few more million, they would rather pay him his salary to sit and ride the bench than pay him his salary to play for them. Somehow people think this is justifiable.
Numbers rule the universe.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#95 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:37 am

John Wall just isn't as good since his Achilles injury is one reason. The other reason is all young teams that are trying to develop young players, only play young players.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,581

Post#96 » by BloodNinja » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:29 am

Pythagoras wrote:Just to recap, the Rockets are telling Wall, that if he doesn’t agree to take a massive buyout to save their BILLIONAIRE owner a few more million, they would rather pay him his salary to sit and ride the bench than pay him his salary to play for them. Somehow people think this is justifiable.

It is justifiable - there is no obligation to play a certain player.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#97 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:53 am

If Houston waived Wall he would have a tough time finding a job for the minimum.

BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#98 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:50 am

There are worse things than sitting on the bench for 40 mio $ per year...
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,091

Post#99 » by art_tatum » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:57 am

Why not just play him to get butts on the seats and if they are getting too good as in catching up to the 3rd worst team, sit him again.
He has no trade value as a player so doesn't matter if he gets injured.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#100 » by queridiculo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:07 pm

basketballRob wrote:If Houston waived Wall he would have a tough time finding a job for the minimum.

Nonsense, he'd have offers from 5 to 10 teams easy.

Return to The General Board