ImageImageImageImageImage

Precious

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,294

Re: Precious 

Post#41 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:47 am

Johnny Bball wrote:It showed tonight in spades, with PA in foul trouble we were awful that first half and played no defence. Forget the points or 3s, he anchored the D.

Yeah, showed why we always need him or Birch on the court. If Birch was healthy tonight we wouldn't have that drop off when Precious sat.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 26,895

Post#42 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:56 am

He looked real good tonight
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#43 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:59 am

Haters in shambles.
10giz
Senior
And1: 661

Post#44 » by 10giz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:17 am

He's got a very good base. Very raw. Will be fun to develop.

Barnes and Trent's FG% against is bound to be higher considering they're the ones guarding top offensive players regularly.

OG though is a machine. He's held Randle, KD, Norm, Jaylen Brown, Tatum, Beal, DD, Kuzma, and Tobias Harris to a combined 15-51.

None shot over 33% except Randle (4-10) and DD (2-4). All those guys are in the top 12 in terms of minutes guarded.

He's only had 2 players hit more than 1 three on him period (Avdija and Justin Holiday) and it took them 2 games each to do it.

Love this guy.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#45 » by Madhouse » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:25 am

Precious and Barnes are just starting to develop. They are in for the long haul and supposed to be key players in 3-4 years. All this overreacting after every game is stupid. After 6 or 7 games people legit said Precious sucks and needs to go to the G League and today he is +28 and was key in a win. It's going to be that all year.
10giz
Senior
And1: 661

Post#46 » by 10giz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:35 am

Madhouse wrote:Precious and Barnes are just starting to develop. They are in for the long haul and supposed to be key players in 3-4 years. All this overreacting after every game is stupid. After 6 or 7 games people legit said Precious sucks and needs to go to the G League and today he is +28 and was key in a win. It's going to be that all year.

So early in the season. We haven't even had our full team play together yet. Only 3 games out of 2nd place.

More importantly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)...

17 of our next 21 games at home (after our upcoming game against IND)

Should be interesting. Enough winnable games for us to really move up the standings IMO.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,266

Post#47 » by ruckus » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:28 am

If all 3 of Barnes, Precious and Banton pan out, the front office will have locked down 3 key positions on the team in one offseason. Ridiculous.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#48 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:12 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Precious stepped up huge tonight. Imagine if he can keep up the three point shooting, what a difference it will make

His mechanics on his 3 point shooting is smooth af. If he becomes a legit floor spreader and continues to defend at this level he's a huge piece of our future.

I think his problem of offense (at the moment) is that he can actually do a bit of everything VS Birch who has just a push shot and a few other pet moves. Chewy can bounce it, shoot from range, score in the paint. I think he needs to narrow his offensive focus to just cuts and open shots for now. Let the rest come.

I also really like him pushing the ball after rebounding. The results of that don't look great right now but he can absolutely burst into the middle of the floor and once his decision-making improves it will be a net positive.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,294

Post#49 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:19 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Precious stepped up huge tonight. Imagine if he can keep up the three point shooting, what a difference it will make

His mechanics on his 3 point shooting is smooth af. If he becomes a legit floor spreader and continues to defend at this level he's a huge piece of our future.

I think his problem of offense (at the moment) is that he can actually do a bit of everything VS Birch who has just a push shot and a few other pet moves. Chewy can bounce it, shoot from range, score in the paint. I think he needs to narrow his offensive focus to just cuts and open shots for now. Let the rest come.

I also really like him pushing the ball after rebounding. The results of that don't look great right now but he can absolutely burst into the middle of the floor and once his decision-making improves it will be a net positive.

A nice combination, Birch thee stabilizer as Achiuwa keeps working on expanding his offense while playing good D
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#50 » by PoundTown » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:40 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

A nice combination, Birch thee stabilizer as Achiuwa keeps working on expanding his offense while playing good D

He "can" do a lot of things offensively, but at 20 years old, he just can't convert the things he can do consistently yet. I'd much rather this problem than the problem of Marvin Bagley for example. His physical profile, while being a tad short if one were to complain, is nearly perfect for a center in todays day and age in terms of being able to rebound, switch defensively to any position, etc, and a guy that can finish a game when teams go small and still maintain a defensive and rebounding presence in the paint, while not being exploited in the pick and roll.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,490

Post#51 » by Duffman100 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:47 pm

Have people forgot the old adage it takes bigs longer to develop?

Precious is still only just 22 years old. He's been great on defense. He just needs more 'finishing moves' around the bucket. He's getting blocked a ton and if he's not blocked, you can tell he's worried he will be.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,490

Post#52 » by Duffman100 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:49 pm

People just have no patience...
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,331

Post#53 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:51 pm

Precious since returning from injury (3 games)

26.3 MIN, 11.7 PPG, 5.7 REB, 2.3 AST, 60.0 FG, 1.000 3PT, 1.000 FT
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,404

Post#54 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:10 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Precious since returning from injury (3 games)

hows that for sample size?

(this could be taken in different contexts, but imagine it in a pro precious context)

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,331

Post#55 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:19 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Precious since returning from injury (3 games)

hows that for sample size?

(this could be taken in different contexts, but imagine it in a pro precious context)

very small sample.

But his decision making looks a lot better offensively. He isn't forcing it as much.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#56 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:20 pm

Duffman100 wrote:People just have no patience...

Agreed, its why bringing in a big to take away from his development makes 0 sense.

Having said that, Precious is a game changer on offense and defense (both positive and negative), and its like riding a roller coaster watching him play. Even when he fails, it seems spectacular (the missed dunk last night).

Hes going to be interesting to watch after a couple yrs in our development program.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,193

Post#57 » by gerrit4 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:29 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Have people forgot the old adage it takes bigs longer to develop?

Precious is still only just 22 years old. He's been great on defense. He just needs more 'finishing moves' around the bucket. He's getting blocked a ton and if he's not blocked, you can tell he's worried he will be.

It reminds me a bit of Jakob when he was here. It took him a while to figure out when to layup and when to dunk. Eventually he started using his length horizontally to create space at the rim, instead of trying to go over top of guys. I haven't watched much of him in SA, but since he's averaging 13ppg on 64% shooting, I'll assume he's figured it out.
terryjackson
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#58 » by terryjackson » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:36 pm

You really see the potential with Precious.

The form on his three point shot looks picture perfect, not Trent level but it's up there. I still think he's undersized to be playing at C. He's currently at 35% from 3 that is looking good considering he didn't shoot much from there last season.

Seeing him go downhill and absolute destroy the rim is a treat to watch. I want him to go for those on the break, I doubt any player wants to get between him and rim.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#59 » by MikeM » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:12 pm

If he just goes full Ibaka mode, all his %s will go way up. He was forcing big time at the start of the season. I'm guessing Nurse tuned him down a bit.

It seems like Achiuwa took the infinite green light that Nurse gives everyone and just abused it (probably since he had the infinite red light in Miami).

I'm still undecided on if it's actually worth him developing that ISO stuff that he was trying early or if you just go full pick and roll/pop, spot up and then you just let him attack hard close-outs, and that's it.

Because sometimes he handles the ball like a guard and sometimes.. well..
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#60 » by Indeed » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:40 pm

10giz wrote:
Madhouse wrote:Precious and Barnes are just starting to develop. They are in for the long haul and supposed to be key players in 3-4 years. All this overreacting after every game is stupid. After 6 or 7 games people legit said Precious sucks and needs to go to the G League and today he is +28 and was key in a win. It's going to be that all year.

So early in the season. We haven't even had our full team play together yet. Only 3 games out of 2nd place.

More importantly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)...

17 of our next 21 games at home (after our upcoming game against IND)

Should be interesting. Enough winnable games for us to really move up the standings IMO.

Let's not overrate the team, since Memphis isn't really a good indicator, as the NetRtg was negative even before playing us. Hint: we are beating a below average team.

3 point shooting has been improved (more time to practice due to injury?), and that was the difference (offensively, yet our offense is still mixed). Wish we are now more consistent in getting better spacing.

Return to Toronto Raptors