And1: 7,171

Re: The LeBron James - 21-22 Regular Season Thread 

Post#1322 » by donnieme » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:00 am

nzahir wrote:
donnieme wrote:
nzahir wrote:Def not moving THT or Nunn for him lol

Rockets record when Daniel Theis plays more than 20 minutes: 0-13

Rockets record when Daniel Theis plays less than 20 minutes: 2-1

He is not an ideal fit with this roster, but I really feel like we need some defense

Russ, Baze/Reaves/upgrade?, Bron, AD, Theis

He can shoot a bit

I prefer Boucher, who has started off slow and his min have been slashed

But I also want more names I am not thinking of

There's no actual solution on the market to this particular problem. AD and Lebron had no clue how big an undertaking it was to play 4 and 5 fulltime on a roster full of one way players. That's 30 minutes of grueling interior defending. That's the bed they made. Is on them to live with it or fix it.

Which is why I am bringing up we need a 5....

Miami Lebron would help

Also having a 3/4 like Ariza instead of all these small guards would also help

They can only do it to close out games it seems like
But you cant have Russ, Lebron, AD, and a 5 who can't shoot at all

Dieng or Mo Wagner also work

Yeah I understand. Just saying there's no real fix because that skillset doesn't come in minimum contracts. Minimum market this deep into the season are mostly guys who at best only bring one of spacing or Defense. All the best minimums are snapped up in the first week of FA. This is why it was important to get it right the first time.

The well known downside of the big 3 format, the big 3 need to actually be big in talent and versatility because they are going to have to do everything with minimum guys. If they lack in versatility it's a death sentence to fill the rest of your team with redundancies and limitations. That LA is already having to play zone to protect roleplayers getting switched is just nuts. Good luck playing that janky zone against the Warriors and Suns. I'm not sure how panic mode hasn't set in within the organization. This doesn't project to get far in the playoffs. And where is Wesley Matthews. I know his raw production was ass but don't tell me you let him go for guys that will get played off the floor in the postseason anyway. He was bad against the Suns but impactful in that play in game with the Warriors.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,800

Post#1323 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:10 am

Nunn for Justin Holiday makes too much sense :noway:
:reporter:
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#1324 » by zimpy27 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:39 am

Mos_Heat wrote:Nunn for Justin Holiday makes to much sense :noway:

I prefer Nunn for Muscala+Kenrich
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Mos_Heat
RealGM

Post#1325 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:50 am

zimpy27 wrote:

Don't think either can play in the playoffs
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Post#1326 » by Freighttrain » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:43 pm

nzahir wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/r1pl0l/with_daj_on_the_court_lakers_are_84_net_rating_on/?sort=confidence

I don't need numbers to know DeAndre Jordan is washed. Maybe FW it to Vogel, might help :lol:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#1327 » by Slava » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:14 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

LeBron + shooters who can switch = $$$
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#1328 » by PaulieWal » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:32 pm

Slava wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

LeBron + shooters who can switch and play some defense has been the game's best cheat code since 2012. Only thing is it's just hard to sustain when you are playing that small or often times when you get the no defense version of it like in 2018 - there's a ceiling on that kinda team.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1329 » by Slava » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:55 pm

PaulieWal wrote:
Slava wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

LeBron + shooters who can switch and play some defense has been the game's best cheat code since 2012. Only thing is it's just hard to sustain when you are playing that small or often times when you get the no defense version of it like in 2018 - there's a ceiling on that kinda team.

Miami obviously pushed that to the limit with Joel Anthony and Birdman as their only nominal centers but those line ups had Battier taking a substantial physical burden to make it work. I still think Lebron and AD at the 4 and 5 is a cheat code line up but we need better perimeter defenders or at least one bigger wing for sure to let Lebron play PG on offense.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#1330 » by homecourtloss » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:08 pm

PaulieWal wrote:
Slava wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting thing is that healthy LeBron, even this diminished version opens up many different cheat codes. The 2020 Lakers had one of the most dominant runs in the playoffs playing with a non-shooting big for many of the games and no real shooters other than Green (who wasn’t making open shots) and KCP who’s not exactly Klay Thompson. That team did of course play its best basketball with AD at the 5 and switchable defenders who could shoot (they weren’t great shooters but they could shoot). If that team had t lost garbage time minutes so badly, it would be remembered quite differently, I think.

Look at these playoff leads that 2020 Lakers team had. I’m not sure any team in playoffs history has had these type of leads this many times. This was LeBron + AD scoring, AD playing his best defense, LeBron QBing non-AD lineup defense, Rondo connecting with AD, and switchable defenders executing to perfection in the most difficult defensive environment in NBA history, i.e., no crowds, no noise, empty gym.

Game 2 vs. Blazers: +33, 7:58 left
Game 4 vs. Blazers, +38, 8:38 left in 3rd quarter
Game 4 vs. Rockets, +23, 7:21 left
Game 5 vs. Rockets, +29, 4:33 left
Game 1 vs. Nuggets, +27, 5:03 left
Game 1 vs. Heat, +30, 4:25 left in 3rd; +24, 6:08 left in the game
Game 6 vs. Heat, +36, 3:29 left in 3rd; +22, 2:05 left in the game

Even this Lakers team with one capable defender who can shoot could create some good lineups with AD at the 5 given that James can be close to 2020 James, which I’m not sure he can. Sad as it is to say, Lakers miss Reaves who was that one capable defender. Now imagine if they had 2 or 3.

In the 17 minutes vs. the Pacers last night with DAJ and Howard off the court and LeBron on court

ORtg: 138.2
DRtg: 94.1

LeBron, 22 points on 68.8% TS
Ellington, 8 points on 133% TS
Monk, 8 points on 100% TS
Westbrook, 6 points on 60% TS
Carmelo, 3 points on 37.5% TS

But the effort James put in can it be sustained over a season. He defended 19 shots last night, which is a really high number for him as he’s also charged with quarterbacking the defense.

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/2544/defense-dash/?Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LastNGames=1
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1331 » by Slava » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:19 pm

Bill Simmons took his annual turn tongue punching Gambler Bob on his podcast and the irony of the conversation was Bob saying it’s easy to root against Lebron because he is completely devoid of humility to have chosen one tattooed on his back and call himself King. Jesus wept.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#1332 » by nzahir » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:Nunn for Justin Holiday makes too much sense :noway:

Meh, not the worst but I want to see Nunn play for us 1st

Also not sure if Indi does it

I mean he is their starting sf and they don't have a ton of depth there

Nunn is someone that should be really good for us, so I want to see how he is

Holiday could be our starting sg though

Russ, Holiday, Bron, Ariza, AD
THT, Ellington, Reaves, Melo, Dwight
Monk, Baze

I would try to move a few expirings for a stretch big
nzahir
RealGM

Post#1333 » by nzahir » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:55 pm

zimpy27 wrote:

Muscula was bad here with us, but seems like his adv numbers have looked after ever since

Has anyone actually watched him?

Could he start come playoff time?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1334 » by zimpy27 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:38 pm

nzahir wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Muscula was bad here with us, but seems like his adv numbers have looked after ever since

Has anyone actually watched him?

Could he start come playoff time?

He wasn't really given a chance with the Lakers but I don't remember him being bad. He was playing as a PF. Played

He's experienced enough and old enough to be counted on in playoffs IMO. But he may not need to start. Will depend on matchups
AmIWrongDude
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,084

Post#1335 » by AmIWrongDude » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:27 am

Was watching LeBron 2018 playoff highlights. Damn man he was still so athletic and even that was way less than his prime athleticism. 2018 compared to now is night and day though.

Gotta either get in the post more or hit jumpers consistently like last night. I’d actually like to see him have the mindset of putting up a lot of jumpers because I think if he decided to do that he would be super effective.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,227

Post#1336 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:13 am

AmIWrongDude wrote:Was watching LeBron 2018 playoff highlights. Damn man he was still so athletic and even that was way less than his prime athleticism. 2018 compared to now is night and day though.

Gotta either get in the post more or hit jumpers consistently like last night. I’d actually like to see him have the mindset of putting up a lot of jumpers because I think if he decided to do that he would be super effective.

I firmly believe that when healthy, he can still drive it when he wants to, though not to the level of 2018, more like 2020 PS. The guy was having a good year last year before the injury, and that was with him still preserving himself and the physical toll his body would take playing inside as often. This year, he came in in great shape with in-game load management on his body in mind as well as trying to learn how to adjust to play to Russ and AD’s strengths over 82 games pre-playoffs, and then an injury happened again, which is probably still affecting him. Part of age to an extent, I guess, but sigh.
Mos_Heat
RealGM

Post#1337 » by Mos_Heat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:21 am

nzahir wrote:

Monk, Baze

Nah, their starting SF is Warren, he's just a placeholder. It's not a perfect trade for Indy, even tho Nunn is a perfect guard for Carlisle.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,214

Post#1338 » by lambchop » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:28 am

AmIWrongDude wrote:Was watching LeBron 2018 playoff highlights. Damn man he was still so athletic and even that was way less than his prime athleticism. 2018 compared to now is night and day though.

His confidence seemed super high against the pacers. It felt as though was just trusting his shot, cause his percentage wasn't really that high and if you watch the full tape you can see that he missed quite a few shots down the stretch but it didnt matter cause he knew some of them would go in and that is exactly what the team needed to win that game.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#1339 » by nzahir » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:47 am

Mos_Heat wrote:
nzahir wrote:

Monk, Baze

Nah, their starting SF is Warren, he's just a placeholder. It's not a perfect trade for Indy, even tho Nunn is a perfect guard for Carlisle.

Forgot about him

I would still love to be able to get a starting sg or a wing for depth and keep Nunn

2-3 of Monk, DJ, Rondo, Bazemore, Ellington and 1-4 2nds

Should be able to get at least 1 guy who can contribute

Luckily no Barnes or Holmes tonight for the Queens, lets please win and do it convincingly
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1340 » by zimpy27 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:10 am

THT could be a terrible contract, maybe Lakers should move it while they can

Return to Player Comparisons