Steve Kerr is a great coach

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Re: Steve Kerr is a great coach 

Post#41 » by lars_rosenberg » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:54 pm

FNQ wrote:I'd give the credit to the guy who built our roster, not as much Kerr. The system has remained the same, but adding guys like JTA, OPJ, Nemo, GP2.. these guys are great fits for our roster (in addition to Looney)

Kerr's done well though too. We're using a lot more zone this year and its working well
Tor_Raps wrote:Id rather just give Curry all the credit here because we all saw how great Kerr was the past 2 years. The system works because of Steph lol
Did you guys already forget the Mark Jackson times? Warriors didn't pass the ball ever.
Kerr created the Warriors system and he tailored it to his best players.
Curry is amazing, but Kerr was smart enough to find the best way to utilize his skills.
That's what a good coach does.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,678

Post#42 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:20 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:
FNQ wrote:I'd give the credit to the guy who built our roster, not as much Kerr. The system has remained the same, but adding guys like JTA, OPJ, Nemo, GP2.. these guys are great fits for our roster (in addition to Looney)

Kerr's done well though too. We're using a lot more zone this year and its working well
Tor_Raps wrote:Id rather just give Curry all the credit here because we all saw how great Kerr was the past 2 years. The system works because of Steph lol
Did you guys already forget the Mark Jackson times? Warriors didn't pass the ball ever.
Curry is amazing, but Kerr was smart enough to find the best way to utilize his skills.

Mark Jackson was coaching the Warriors on their way up. He got canned for off court stuff before the Warriors were even expected to do anything.

Luke Walton got the Kings job because of his short stint with the Warriors and we all know how that went once you have different personnel.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,611

Post#43 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:45 pm

prefontaine wrote:He's now taken a team rated to be an underdog/4th or 5th seed to genuine title contenders twice. Yes, he's got Curry, but he's been able to extract amazing value out of players like Poole, GP2, JTA, Wiggins and Looney.

All you need to do to be great is have people wrongly assess your team because they are biased.

Now I think Kerr has always been a very good coach...
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,875

Post#44 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:03 pm

Kerr is the best coach in the league. He never gets the credit he deserves.

Meanwhile people were up Brad Stevens ass for years even though he never won anything.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#45 » by lars_rosenberg » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:11 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
lars_rosenberg wrote:

Mark Jackson was coaching the Warriors on their way up. He got canned for off court stuff before the Warriors were even expected to do anything.

Luke Walton got the Kings job because of his short stint with the Warriors and we all know how that went once you have different personnel.

Luke Walton didn't really do anything. When Kerr was out he was just "Guys, keep doing your thing".
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,585

Post#46 » by HiRez » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:33 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:To me Kerr is the clear cut COY right now. There's absolutely no denying that his motion offense scheme - that is HIS, he's the one who brought it in and he's the one who stuck with it when many were saying it needed to go away - is a central part of why all these role players are playing with such proactive confidence.

Good post, that's absolutely right, his keep moving and keep passing at all costs mantra is the key that unlocked all of this. It's why we've seen key players in the last few games be guys like Porter, Toscano-Anderson, Looney, Lee. Those guys stay engaged because they aren't just standing around filling space while the stars do their thing. If you make yourself available, the ball is going to find you in Kerr's system. A lot of Warriors possessions end in a shot or dunk after 5 passes in the last 5 seconds and most defenses can't keep up with that, at some point someone is a half second late and that's all it takes.
GusFring
Starter
And1: 2,639

Post#47 » by GusFring » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:40 pm

Best coach in the league, this board wants to hate him so badly. its amusing
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,405

Post#48 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:51 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
lars_rosenberg wrote:

You’re managing not to learn anything about basketball if you chalk up Jackson’s firing to merely off-court behavior.

In reality Jerry West was lobbying to get Jackson fired because Jackson’s primitive offense was keeping the Warriors from developing offensive weapons into site offense.

Now, Jackson getting defensive toward West was key to the problem, and can be called off-court in a sense, but fundamentally it was a basketball question.

Did Jackson know what he was doing with the Warrior offense or not? With West’s advice, the Warriors decided the answer was “No”, they then brought in a new coach who advocated for a motion offense which West approved of, and immediately the team changed from 1st round fodder to the best team in the world.

It’s this really important imho historically not to credit Jackson with a notion that Kerr was just doing what Jackson would have done.

Jackson deserves credit for empowering Curry, and some credit for establishing a quality defense, but in terms of seeing a smart way to make use of the Splash Brothers - let alone Draymond Green - he’d already been missing the boat for a while before he was fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,192

Post#49 » by QingJames » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:11 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Kerr is the best coach in the league. He never gets the credit he deserves.

Meanwhile people were up Brad Stevens ass for years even though he never won anything.

He's not. Pop is obviously better. Nurse outcoached him in a finals matchup. Spo is better. You can even make the argument that Ty Lue had his number as well.

Kerr IS a great coach and he deserves tons of credit for his motion offense. He's most definitely not the best coach in the league from an X and Os standpoint.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
nfmos
Veteran
And1: 3,529

Post#50 » by nfmos » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:12 pm

bbalnation wrote:
SpreeS wrote:I would give credit to Curry/Owner/FO/Coach staff/Team.

Whats the owner doing?

Investing hundreds of millions (luxury taxes) in addition to the original 450 million he spent to buy the Warriors, and getting back a **** ton in return: long, medium and short term in financial capital (Warriors are north 4.7 billion). Its a no brainer to pay the luxury taxes in his scenario, in those circumstances, with the amount he started with, and the instantaneous growth the league saw: Curry or not (securing a loan woulda been easy if he struggled with liquidity).
Getting the **** out of the way when it comes to basketball operations.

Imo, hardly more credit worthy than the players, coaching staff and front office: aka the people who are actually doing the labor and work that would differentiate them with the rest of the league.

If anything, I speculate that Joe Lacobs constant public appearances over the years about being ahead into the future and whatnot have been more a hindrance than helpful. I dont imagine it makes trade negotiations with other teams any easier: "Sorry Bob, clearly we're missing something here, gimme a better offer". (I just wanted to say Bob, looool)

Completely disagree, especially when you compare it not only to our previous owner, but also to alot of the other owners in the league. Who hired all of these people? If you cant see the difference between how we were before he got there and after, and how quick everything changed, i dont know what to tell you. Lacob was absolutely when things changed for this team.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,896

Post#51 » by lakerz12 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:58 pm

If he were the Kings coach he would get fired. Players win games.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,896

Post#52 » by lakerz12 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
lars_rosenberg wrote:Did you guys already forget the Mark Jackson times? Warriors didn't pass the ball ever.

Luke Walton didn't really do anything. When Kerr was out he was just "Guys, keep doing your thing".

And this is based on what? Your lip reading of time outs?

Also Walton coached the Warriors to a 39-4 record…so what does that tell you about the importance of coaching.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,841

Post#53 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:09 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:

Agreed, Steve was the difference maker that took us from a playoff participant to champion/dynasty.
I think FNQ is referring to what has changed recently, but I think he is still short changing Steve a bit. Nobody had us 16-2 right now, not even Warriors fans expected this record. Steve deserves credit not just for the system but the continued positive culture that allows guys to be comfortable & grow to be their best. The team is ready & focused every night.

So many role players popping off, it's not just because of Curry, though he is a big factor obviously.
bbalnation
Sixth Man
And1: 954

Post#54 » by bbalnation » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:32 pm

nfmos wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
SpreeS wrote:I would give credit to Curry/Owner/FO/Coach staff/Team.

Whats the owner doing?

Investing hundreds of millions (luxury taxes) in addition to the original 450 million he spent to buy the Warriors, and getting back a **** ton in return: long, medium and short term in financial capital (Warriors are north 4.7 billion). Its a no brainer to pay the luxury taxes in his scenario, in those circumstances, with the amount he started with, and the instantaneous growth the league saw: Curry or not (securing a loan woulda been easy if he struggled with liquidity).

Imo, hardly more credit worthy than the players, coaching staff and front office: aka the people who are actually doing the labor and work that would differentiate them with the rest of the league.

If anything, I speculate that Joe Lacobs constant public appearances over the years about being ahead into the future and whatnot have been more a hindrance than helpful. I dont imagine it makes trade negotiations with other teams any easier: "Sorry Bob, clearly we're missing something here, gimme a better offer". (I just wanted to say Bob, looool)

Completely disagree, especially when you compare it not only to our previous owner, but also to alot of the other owners in the league. Who hired all of these people? If you cant see the difference between how we were before he got there and after, and how quick everything changed, i dont know what to tell you. Lacob was absolutely when things changed for this team.

Objectively, not the "owner" of an NBA team (re: hiring decisions on all these people). Thats not how basketball or organizational decisions are made in most successful places (we refer to the extreme opposite as "micro-managing").

Hiring =/ employing
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,538

Post#55 » by dc » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:45 pm

It's obviously a players' game and no coach in the league will ever win without top tier talent, but don't act like Kerr just rolls out the ball and let'em play. I'm not saying Kerr is the smartest guy ever and wrote the book on basketball, but he clearly has a system. Look at guys like Nick Young and Oubre as examples of guys who just couldn't grasp Kerr's system. Not everybody fits in it.

Also don't view the 2019-2020 season when the Warriors were rolling out G-League lineups as a total waste of a year.

Guys like Toscano Anderson (undrafted), Damion Lee (undrafted) and Jordan Poole (late 1st rounder) actually developed during that year, even though it didn't pay off that particular season. The Warriors that year had a bunch of G League guys on the roster and out of that bunch, those are the 3 who emerged and developed into rotation players for this year's team. Poole in particular took a big leap.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
nfmos
Veteran
And1: 3,529

Post#56 » by nfmos » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:03 am

bbalnation wrote:
nfmos wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
Whats the owner doing?

Objectively, not the "owner" of an NBA team (re: hiring decisions on all these people). Thats not how basketball or organizational decisions are made in most successful places (we refer to the extreme opposite as "micro-managing").

Hiring =/ employing

Except, for a organization that was a mess, Lacob did hire and did get involved heavily in the hiring processes.

A Warriors championship origin story: How Joe Lacob hired Bob Myers five years ago, which signaled everything that was coming next
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2016/03/14/joe-lacob-hired-bob-myers/

“I didn’t talk to a lot of people,” Lacob recalled of his search. “Danny gave me the advice on Bob, or the lead. And honestly I used my own instincts. I’ve hired a lot of people in my life and I had a vision for what I wanted here.

“That all fit in… You sit there and say, ‘Would I feel comfortable debating every day with this guy? Would it be one of these relationships where he kind of calls me (only) when he wants me to know something?’

“That’s not what would work with this particular owner. Might work with another owner. But I’m too involved. I want to be too involved.”

He is one of the owners, and also did hiring. And i do believe they have been pretty successful, no?
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,239

Post#57 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:50 am

lakerz12 wrote:If he were the Kings coach he would get fired. Players win games.

That's overly simplistic.

The Clippers don't beat the Jazz without Ty Lue making the proper adjustments.

Matter of fact the Cavs don't beat the Warriors in 2016 without Lue's coaching clinic.

Talent matters more than coaching, no doubt. But coaching can decide series and championships.
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,196

Post#58 » by antonac » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:03 am

Is it worth pointing out the pace Walton had them going out the gate was probably why they were running on fumes by the post season? Chasing 73-9 cost them the title imo.

I mean it seems harsh to criticize someone for winning but part of being good in a marathon is knowing how to pace yourself. I always felt they came out too hard in retrospect.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#59 » by GunnerWRX » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:08 am

lars_rosenberg wrote:Did you guys already forget the Mark Jackson times? Warriors didn't pass the ball ever.

You mean having Jarrett Jack pound the rock to eternity? Or posting up Jermaine O'Neal 8 of 10 times down the court? Or having Harrison Barnes on an island asking him to go one-on-one?

I think I have summarized 80% of Mark Jackson's playbook right there in 3 sentences.
bbalnation
Sixth Man
And1: 954

Post#60 » by bbalnation » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:28 am

nfmos wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
nfmos wrote:

Hiring =/ employing

Except, for a organization that was a mess, Lacob did hire and did get involved heavily in the hiring processes.

A Warriors championship origin story: How Joe Lacob hired Bob Myers five years ago, which signaled everything that was coming next
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2016/03/14/joe-lacob-hired-bob-myers/

“I didn’t talk to a lot of people,” Lacob recalled of his search. “Danny gave me the advice on Bob, or the lead. And honestly I used my own instincts. I’ve hired a lot of people in my life and I had a vision for what I wanted here.

“That all fit in… You sit there and say, ‘Would I feel comfortable debating every day with this guy? Would it be one of these relationships where he kind of calls me (only) when he wants me to know something?’

“That’s not what would work with this particular owner. Might work with another owner. But I’m too involved. I want to be too involved.”

He is one of the owners, and also did hiring. And i do believe they have been pretty successful, no?

Hm, you're still missing it. He hired one person, Bob Myers, to make basketball decisions (including hiring decisions: aka drafting which would refer to player personnel and coaching which would refer to Steve Kerr, then his staff, which was hired by Steve).

That was a fantastic hire. So was Jerry West. But I dont see how that would mean you giving more credit to the owner for hiring people to do their jobs, and then having those people excel at their jobs relative to the competitive.

Organizational culture begins at the top: i dont doubt that. In this case, Joe was handed Steph Curry, a 450 million dollar organization for nearly half its valuation 3 years later (again, without even Steph, 1 billion became league average at the time). He invested in an incredible situation. And he has made the most of it relative to his competitors... by hiring a couple people to do the actual work.

In my books: he does not deserve more credit than the people who are actually doing the work. He is already making millions times the salary they are on an annual basis. Im not saying he doesn't deserve any credit at all.

Just saying. I think credit should be given where credit is due.

Return to The General Board