ImageImageImageImageImage

Importance of acquiring a 7 footer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#141 » by Indeed » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:20 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:Theres so much going on here.

First the reason teams are so hyper efficient in the HC and inside the arc is....

We are the least efficient team with regards to PutBacks. We are giving more than 24 points per 100 possessions worse than the median, and in 30th by over 7 points per 100. Thats because of our defensive structure. Then PostUps were getting murdered there too (who cares though). Otherwise we have been great in PnR, and transition, and aside from guys hitting SpotUps, there really isnt much to complain about.

Re: Contesting shots. Teams are just hitting them at high rates regardless.

If guys are hitting runners and guarded/contested Js, theres not much you can do (thus our poor rankings). Were 13th in % of guarded possessions.

If were worried about percentages over a small sample, okay, but we need more nuance.

None of this argument is indicative of a need for a C or a 7 footer though, which was my point.

Wouldn't the putbacks and postup stats indicated we need a C who can rebound and defend the post? It doesn't mean it has to be a 7 footer, but someone who is long and big? Most likely a shot blocker would help.
Wannabe MEP
Analyst
And1: 1,786

Post#142 » by Wannabe MEP » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:49 am

Thought it worth mentioning: the #1 team in the league right now by record, point differential, and defensive rating, Golden State, has zero minutes for anyone taller than 6' 10". And their one 6' 10" guy has blocked fewer shots than Gary Trent Jr.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,122

Post#143 » by Chandan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:56 am

Los Soles wrote:Thought it worth mentioning: the #1 team in the league right now by record, point differential, and defensive rating, Golden State, has zero minutes for anyone taller than 6' 10". And their one 6' 10" guy has blocked fewer shots than Gary Trent Jr.

the importance of acquiring less 6"9 players.
dgr81
General Manager
And1: 10,889

Post#144 » by dgr81 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:12 am

raps don't need a 7 footer.

raps need a better defensive scheme. all this help defense is killing them. play one-on-one and switch when screened. stop doubling.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#145 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:37 am

I feel like maybe masai understands this thats why he was willing and able to move off barnes plus plus to get evan mobley.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#146 » by seanbig » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:15 am

dgr81 wrote:raps don't need a 7 footer.

raps need a better defensive scheme. all this help defense is killing them. play one-on-one and switch when screened. stop doubling.

Yes the better defensive scheme is getting someone who
Can consistently defend a 7 footer without having to
Foul or double him

So essentially getting someone who plays like a 7 footer

Looking back at you Masai and Webster
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,660

Post#147 » by ConSarnit » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:47 pm

seanbig wrote:

Yes the better defensive scheme is getting someone who
Can consistently defend a 7 footer without having to
Foul or double him

So essentially getting someone who plays like a 7 footer

Looking back at you Masai and Webster

I don’t know how many times this needs to be said: defense is not our issue.

Our “small ball” starting lineup has a def rtg of 100.
The Clippers have the 2nd best def rtg at 100.8. Not to mention these are our starters, which means they are going against other starters, which means they are likely one of (if not) the best defensive units in basketball.

But yeah, let’s get a 7 footer to fix that awful defense. Keep banging that drum!
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#148 » by Psubs » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:49 pm

Chandan wrote:
Los Soles wrote:Thought it worth mentioning: the #1 team in the league right now by record, point differential, and defensive rating, Golden State, has zero minutes for anyone taller than 6' 10". And their one 6' 10" guy has blocked fewer shots than Gary Trent Jr.

Yes, need 6'10 guys. :nod:
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,436

Post#149 » by mtcan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:21 pm

Isaiah Stewart scores 20 points...usually averages 8 points a game...hits a season high in scoring.

Larry Nance Jr...scores 15 points on 7/7 shooting...once again...a season high in scoring.

Robert Williams...scores 16 points on 8/11 shooting and grabs 13 rebounds...ties a season high for points.

We are allowing opposing big guys to have season highs...

The lack of size at the 5 is pretty obvious.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,590

Post#150 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:27 pm

mtcan wrote:Isaiah Stewart scores 20 points...usually averages 8 points a game...hits a season high in scoring.

Larry Nance Jr...scores 15 points on 7/7 shooting...once again...a season high in scoring.

Robert Williams...scores 16 points on 8/11 shooting and grabs 13 rebounds...ties a season high for points.

We are allowing opposing big guys to have season highs...

The lack of size at the 5 is pretty obvious.

All three in losses, two of them teams which were struggling. But oh no defense and size isn't our problem.

It's one thing if scrubs have big games against us and we win. But we are losing games we shouldn't lose.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,590

Post#151 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:34 pm

The good to great recent play of Precious and Khem has made me rethink a bit. We don't necessarily need a better center than those two, but since they have recurring knee or shoulder issues, we definitely need a third center who can fill in. Because it's clear our long forwards do better playing with one of our C's rather than playing center themselves.

If Achiuwa and Birch are both healthy it's clear one of them needs to be oncourt most of the time. But the odds of those two staying healthy seems low
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#152 » by Indeed » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:57 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:The good to great recent play of Precious and Khem has made me rethink a bit. We don't necessarily need a better center than those two, but since they have recurring knee or shoulder issues, we definitely need a third center who can fill in. Because it's clear our long forwards do better playing with one of our C's rather than playing center themselves.

If Achiuwa and Birch are both healthy it's clear one of them needs to be oncourt most of the time. But the odds of those two staying healthy seems low

It depends.
Last game our DRtg was 120.
League worst is 115 with Memphis being dead last (reason our offense was good last night).

Perhaps our defense would be better having a Birch/Achiuwa with OG/Watanabe, but so far we are still bottom of the league, and you got to wonder who else (or which position) can get an upgrade to make our defense better.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#153 » by ruckus » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:09 pm

Indeed wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:The good to great recent play of Precious and Khem has made me rethink a bit. We don't necessarily need a better center than those two, but since they have recurring knee or shoulder issues, we definitely need a third center who can fill in. Because it's clear our long forwards do better playing with one of our C's rather than playing center themselves.

It depends.
League worst is 115 with Memphis being dead last (reason our offense was good last night).

Perhaps our defense would be better having a Birch/Achiuwa with OG/Watanabe, but so far we are still bottom of the league, and you got to wonder who else (or which position) can get an upgrade to make our defense better.

Just looking at what options the Raps had, I think an argument can be made that Ish Wainwright should have been retained over Dekker. While Ish is kinda short to play C, I think his strength and activity would have been sufficient to have been the 3rd string C this team could have used with Precious and Birch in and out of the lineup.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#154 » by Dalek » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:13 pm

Chandan wrote:

Or the importance of Draymond Green. When he is healthy he is a DPOY candidate. He doesn't have to put up tons of blocks to prove his worth on blowing up schemes. Kevon Looney has been in their system for years. This is all to say that with your frontcourt, you can't cut corners. You need defensive IQ and continuity. Toronto lacks the continuity part but I can see why they have invested in these guys. I just wish Birch could stay healthy.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#155 » by Indeed » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:35 pm

Dalek wrote:
Chandan wrote:

Or the importance of Draymond Green. When he is healthy he is a DPOY candidate. He doesn't have to put up tons of blocks to prove his worth on blowing up schemes. Kevon Looney has been in their system for years. This is all to say that with your frontcourt, you can't cut corners. You need defensive IQ and continuity. Toronto lacks the continuity part but I can see why they have invested in these guys. I just wish Birch could stay healthy.

Looney has a 7'4 wingspan, borderline shot blocker.
Continuity would help, but we need talent to begin with. We probably need a C who has the basketball IQ and physical ability to be a long term solution.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#156 » by Indeed » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:41 pm

ruckus wrote:
Indeed wrote:

It depends.

Just looking at what options the Raps had, I think an argument can be made that Ish Wainwright should have been retained over Dekker. While Ish is kinda short to play C, I think his strength and activity would have been sufficient to have been the 3rd string C this team could have used with Precious and Birch in and out of the lineup.

I don't think Wainwright would solve our problem, neither against 250lb+ C for some spot minutes, nor paint protector that teams think twice before driving.
Double Bubble
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#157 » by Double Bubble » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:18 pm

idiotic takes are the only reason to come here at this point
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,353

Post#158 » by tdotrep2 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:23 pm

a huge issue is rim protection, we might have the worst in the league
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#159 » by Dalek » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:38 pm

Indeed wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Chandan wrote:

Continuity would help, but we need talent to begin with. We probably need a C who has the basketball IQ and physical ability to be a long term solution.

Honestly, I am hoping Chet Holmgren falls into our hands. He is the best C prospect I have seen in quite some time. I think he can be like Rudy Gobert on defense and he has a scary guard-like offensive skill set. He will be better than Mobley because his feel for the game is somehow even better.
KINGTHANOS
Sophomore
And1: 146

Post#160 » by KINGTHANOS » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:35 am

Dalek wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Honestly, I am hoping Chet Holmgren falls into our hands. He is the best C prospect I have seen in quite some time. I think he can be like Rudy Gobert on defense and he has a scary guard-like offensive skill set. He will be better than Mobley because his feel for the game is somehow even better.

He's got height, but he's an absolute twig. He won't be able to hold his position on defense against the types of C players people would be dreaming of him solving for us.

Return to Toronto Raptors