Are the Timberwolves Figuring It Out?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Re: Are the Timberwolves Figuring It Out? 

Post#21 » by drone3 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:15 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:Putting Vando in the starting lineup really changed their identity. That guy plays sooooo hard out there. He can guard all five positions and has shut down the opposing teams best player these last five games.
Just need confirmation, is Vando the next Rodman?
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,522

Post#22 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:16 pm

DBurks2818 wrote:Launching 55 3pters last night was insanity :roll: but I have to admit they look good!

If a 7 footer can shoot 44% from 3, he should just launch 20+ 3s a game himself. I mean, who can stop him out there?
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,210

Post#23 » by ShootersShoot » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:22 am

Kat, AE, DLo, beasley is enough talent to win some games. They could use some more depth
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,624

Post#24 » by thinktank » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:51 am

drone3 wrote:
Infinite Llamas wrote:Putting Vando in the starting lineup really changed their identity. That guy plays sooooo hard out there. He can guard all five positions and has shut down the opposing teams best player these last five games.
Just need confirmation, is Vando the next Rodman?

I see what you did there but, of course, they’re different players.

Rodman was tougher. Stayed pretty grounded. Better rebounder.

Vando is everywhere and loves to fly. Excellent rebounder, but not Rodman level, obviously.

Vando may be the man defender Rodman is (probably falls short) but more toward PF and smaller, while Rodman could guard almost any C, but not the littles like Vando can.
What would you pay a guy putting up 18 and 11 in the playoffs?
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 15,966

Post#25 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:19 am

It looks like it
KG_And1
Pro Prospect
And1: 151

Post#26 » by KG_And1 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:47 am

Too soon to say, but we are heading in the right direction; surprisingly, powered by our defense.

The next 19 games will be against playoff teams and legit contenders. If we can win at least half of them, I would say we are here to stay.

If the defensive effort and efficiency continues, I can see us sneaking into a top 4 seed; there are several injuries out West. The scary thing is, our offense has been absolute garbage through all of this. Russ/Beas/Prince are shooting like a**, KAT is scoring efficiently but is typically the 3rd option most nights (needs to at least be #2), Ant’s scoring has been fine but he needs to be more consistent (a few too many nights <40%); he can fix this by attacking the rim more.

Once the offense starts clicking, and KAT/Ant start getting calls, we’re going to be pretty good. We still haven’t figured it out yet, but I believe we will.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#27 » by Scalabrine » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:02 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:5 straight wins after a tough stretch to start the season and they are now a .500 basketball team at 9-9. I've been really interested in this team going into the season and it appears they've unlocked a few things and have turned a corner

They are running a 10 man rotation of

KAT/Reid
Vanderbilt/McDaniels
Beverly/Beasley/Prince
Edwards/Beasley/Okogi
Russell/Beverly

I think they have a higher ceiling as well. KAT is improving defensively and overall taking that side of the ball more seriously. Russell has been shooting a career worst TS% (55% over the past 3 seasons, 47% this season), Beasley and Prince are also shooting career lows. Once they start hitting their shots that adds another level. Edwards is emerging as a legit 1B option averaging 23/6/3 with 1.6 steals and 1.0 blocks on 49/44/75 shooting splits. This team has a lot of room to grow.

Finch has everyone giving full effort on defense and over the past 5 games they have been the number 2 rated defense in the league and over the entire season they've been ranked 4th! They were ranked 28th last season... The vets they brought in (Bev and Prince) have been great for chemistry and professionalism and keeping the team focused as well. Typically, if you're in the top 3rd on defense, you're a playoff team, and they certainly have the offensive weapons to hold their own on that end of the court as well.

Are the Timberwolves finally figuring it out? Where do they finish in the West this year?

I love Edwards but those shooting splits you have there are FG/2pt/FT.. His 3% is 36%.

Thats over the past 5 games.
Go Knicks!
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Post#28 » by RoyceDa59 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:04 am

New ownership and a blossoming young star in Edwards. Personally I’d like to see them secure another high lotto pick but great to see them playing so well.

Edwards is the new D-Wade.
Go Raps!!
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#29 » by Scalabrine » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:06 am

PhilBlackson wrote:Haven't watched a lot of them (although LOVE Antman prob top 4 favorite players in the league for me, pretty much always check his highlights) but do the TWolves play solid defense????

Imo if they can get that together then maybe...because offensively Antman/KAT and even DLo should be enough to at least contend for a Playoff spot soon but they gotta be able to stop opposing teams too.

Did you not read the original post?
Go Knicks!
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,119

Post#30 » by brutalitops » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:14 am

Quentin wrote:
brutalitops wrote:Still a horrible defensive rebounding team and foul too much. Like we do this badly. But we're still a top 10 defense right now which is nuts.

Offense goes into big patches where nothing works. If we can figure that part out yeah we're a very good team. Switching teams really hurt us. We need to figure that out

We the wolves tho so something bad will happen

Yeah, the refs are VERY fair to Towns. :lol:

Half self inflicted. He won't get calls so next possession he'll do something aggressive/stupid and compound our issues. If he didn't carry on you could then bring up he gets murdered by the refs. And he does, but he also loves to hook people in the post
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,119

Post#31 » by brutalitops » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:15 am

Scalabrine wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:Haven't watched a lot of them (although LOVE Antman prob top 4 favorite players in the league for me, pretty much always check his highlights) but do the TWolves play solid defense????

Imo if they can get that together then maybe...because offensively Antman/KAT and even DLo should be enough to at least contend for a Playoff spot soon but they gotta be able to stop opposing teams too.

He said he did, but he's also questioning if we play good defense. So he's probably just watching Edwards highlights.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#32 » by Scalabrine » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:32 am

brutalitops wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

He said he did, but he's also questioning if we play good defense. So he's probably just watching Edwards highlights.

Where did it say he read my post?

If he did, he'd know that they are statistically ranked as one of the top defenses in the league...
Go Knicks!

Return to The General Board