ImageImageImageImageImage

Importance of acquiring a 7 footer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Re: Importance of acquiring a 7 footer 

Post#161 » by Dalek » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:22 am

KINGTHANOS wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Looney has a 7'4 wingspan, borderline shot blocker.
Continuity would help, but we need talent to begin with. We probably need a C who has the basketball IQ and physical ability to be a long term solution.

Honestly, I am hoping Chet Holmgren falls into our hands. He is the best C prospect I have seen in quite some time. I think he can be like Rudy Gobert on defense and he has a scary guard-like offensive skill set. He will be better than Mobley because his feel for the game is somehow even better.

He's got height, but he's an absolute twig. He won't be able to hold his position on defense against the types of C players people would be dreaming of him solving for us.

People said the same thing about Gobert. I mean Rudy was an absolute stick coming in.

I think we get the impression that players who are skinny can't play because of our Chris Boucher experience. Honestly, Chet is a once in a lifetime big.
KINGTHANOS
Sophomore
And1: 146

Post#162 » by KINGTHANOS » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:11 am

Dalek wrote:
KINGTHANOS wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Honestly, I am hoping Chet Holmgren falls into our hands. He is the best C prospect I have seen in quite some time. I think he can be like Rudy Gobert on defense and he has a scary guard-like offensive skill set. He will be better than Mobley because his feel for the game is somehow even better.

He's got height, but he's an absolute twig. He won't be able to hold his position on defense against the types of C players people would be dreaming of him solving for us.

People said the same thing about Gobert. I mean Rudy was an absolute stick coming in.

I think we get the impression that players who are skinny can't play because of our Chris Boucher experience. Honestly, Chet is a once in a lifetime big.

Fair enough! I had no idea Rudy was that size at one point.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#163 » by Indeed » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:52 am

KINGTHANOS wrote:
Dalek wrote:
KINGTHANOS wrote:

I think even Jalen Duren might be a long reach.
But I might look at someone like Daimion Collins.
Meanwhile on the 2nd round, Khalifa Diop looks to be a 3&D prospect who is big and long enough to play C.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,542

Post#164 » by mdenny » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:59 am

Indeed wrote:
KINGTHANOS wrote:
Dalek wrote:

I think even Jalen Duren might be a long reach.
But I might look at someone like Daimion Collins.
Meanwhile on the 2nd round, Khalifa Diop looks to be a 3&D prospect who is big and long enough to play C.

That pic of rudy is misleading. It's a fishbowl lens. Yes he was skinny but nothing like chet:

https://images.app.goo.gl/JfV22Ac5UF5h2uS86

I'm not saying anything for sure....but there's no precedent for Chet's body type succeeding as a first overall level career. There's been skinny guys before....but not like that. And you've gotta wonder if his genetics will be a problem. He's still probably first overall.....but there's huge risks. Whoever drafts him would be banking on him being a first of sorts.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,643

Post#165 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:03 am

Dalek wrote:
KINGTHANOS wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Lmao... Gobert was over 220 when drafted by far before he played a minute for the Jazz of the D-league. No he wasn't.

I'm going to wait until the end of the season before I really start railing no how picking any Gonzaga player first overall is bad. Again.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,542

Post#166 » by mdenny » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:10 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Dalek wrote:
KINGTHANOS wrote:

Lmao... Gobert was over 220 when drafted by far before he played a minute for the Jazz of the D-league. No he wasn't.

I'm going to wait until the end of the season before I really start railing no how picking any Gonzaga player first overall is bad. Again.

I don't think the top level talent in this upcoming draft is that good. Everyone has serious downsides. I'm sure a couple of the top 10 will pan out well like every year....but it's not like last year's draft.
alan_156
Senior
And1: 755

Post#167 » by alan_156 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:39 am

Moses brown.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#168 » by yellowknifer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:23 am

I don't think the team is averse to this idea. I just think there aren't that many mobile 7fters with even crazier wing span. As incredible as Barnes is there's a reason we were rumored to want to move up. And Masai has long been interested in Allen but sometimes things don't work out. We will find our guy I have no doubt. This is a rebuilding year.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#169 » by vini_vidi_vici » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:59 pm

alan_156 wrote:Moses brown.

Everyone always talks about him.

Hes been awful defensively the last 2 yrs. He also gets eaten alive in PnR (which is predominantly whats run in the HC). Hes an avg DREB guy.

*Last yrs D numbers.

He hasnt even shown much offensively either, aside from OREB (which is not a premium for us, and buoyed his efficiency).

I sometimes think ppl only value offensive and/or Anthro stats. Im not sure he fits into our system, and while hes 22 and tall, those are his only endearing qualities in his body of work. If its for Dragic, sure. Im not sure I would give up any assets for him though.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
dgr81
General Manager
And1: 10,889

Post#170 » by dgr81 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:15 pm

tdotrep2 wrote:
dgr81 wrote:raps don't need a 7 footer.

raps need a better defensive scheme. all this help defense is killing them. play one-on-one and switch when screened. stop doubling.

a huge issue is rim protection, we might have the worst in the league

not true.

before the grizzlies game, the raptors had given up the 6th fewest points in the paint in the entire league. even after that game, i believe the raps are still in the top 10.

open 3's and excessive doubling is the problem right now. playing more zone in the second half against memphis helped with that.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,353

Post#171 » by tdotrep2 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:17 pm

dgr81 wrote:
tdotrep2 wrote:
dgr81 wrote:raps don't need a 7 footer.

raps need a better defensive scheme. all this help defense is killing them. play one-on-one and switch when screened. stop doubling.

a huge issue is rim protection, we might have the worst in the league

not true.

before the grizzlies game, the raptors had given up the 6th fewest points in the paint in the entire league. even after that game, i believe the raps are still in the top 10.

open 3's and excessive doubling is the problem right now. playing more zone in the second half against memphis helped with that.

its one thing to site some stat, but could that be because we have 3 guys helping when someone gets beat? what if we had a solid rim protector? would this in turn help the perimeter defense leading to less open corner 3's?
Backcountry
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,588

Post#172 » by Backcountry » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:23 pm

Zach Edey. He'll be a 2nd round pick, great project. Looks slow as hell right now but good hands and huge! 7'4" with a 7'7" wingspan. Need to hire Gasol to come back and coach him.

Anyone who was a 6'10" AA hockey player and college-scouted AAA pitcher has enough athleticism and agility at 7'4" to be decent at basketball. Did I mention he weighs about 290 lbs? Immovable object.
When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,105

Post#173 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:36 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:

Hes been awful defensively the last 2 yrs. He also gets eaten alive in PnR (which is predominantly whats run in the HC). Hes an avg DREB guy.

*Last yrs D numbers.

He hasnt even shown much offensively either, aside from OREB (which is not a premium for us, and buoyed his efficiency).

I sometimes think ppl only value offensive and/or Anthro stats. Im not sure he fits into our system, and while hes 22 and tall, those are his only endearing qualities in his body of work. If its for Dragic, sure. Im not sure I would give up any assets for him though.

The people who keep hammering the “we need a 7 footer” narrative can’t be reasoned with.

I’m not really worried about this team defensively. Most of our issues is defensive breakdowns which is what happened when you start 3 guys age 22 or younger and your “vets” are 27.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
alan_156
Senior
And1: 755

Post#174 » by alan_156 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:53 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:

*Last yrs D numbers.

The people who keep hammering the “we need a 7 footer” narrative can’t be reasoned with.

I’m not really worried about this team defensively. Most of our issues is defensive breakdowns which is what happened when you start 3 guys age 22 or younger and your “vets” are 27.

The real solution is Myles Turner, but there's no way we get him unless brogdon goes down and pacers need dragic.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#175 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:34 pm

alan_156 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:

*Last yrs D numbers.

The real solution is Myles Turner, but there's no way we get him unless brogdon goes down and pacers need dragic.

It really is not. Turner does not fit our system at all.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#176 » by will » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:35 pm

Nurkic would be my option. Or Mo Bamba.

Bol Bol for fun!
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,034

Post#177 » by HumbleRen » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:37 pm

Stretches the floor, allowing Scottie and OG to be the swiss army knives that they are while also being a decent rim deterrent.

"Doesn't fit us"

YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#178 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:41 pm

HumbleRen wrote:Stretches the floor, allowing Scottie and OG to be the swiss army knives that they are while also being a decent rim deterrent.

"Doesn't fit us"

Two ends to the floor.

Turner is not even that stretchy of a player. He only shoots when wide open, and he hits like 35% (I do not trust his #'s so far this year). Bad rebounder, not a good defender even if he gets blocks, not a playmaker, not a shot creator.

People complain about Siakams spacing, but want to trade him for a guy who provides less of it. Makes sense.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,889

Post#179 » by ItsDanger » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:44 pm

Masai drafted Faried for Denver. Maybe he doesn't believe in big 5s? There were options in 2nd round last draft. There are a few interesting prospects this draft also. Not sure this small ball 5 is viable. Also, seems to be an injury risk for our players. Perhaps 3 centres on the roster is needed.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,034

Post#180 » by HumbleRen » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:52 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:Stretches the floor, allowing Scottie and OG to be the swiss army knives that they are while also being a decent rim deterrent.

"Doesn't fit us"

Two ends to the floor.

Turner is not even that stretchy of a player. He only shoots when wide open, and he hits like 35% (I do not trust his #'s so far this year). Bad rebounder, not a good defender even if he gets blocks, not a playmaker, not a shot creator.

People complain about Siakams spacing, but want to trade him for a guy who provides less of it. Makes sense.

6'11 center who can shoot 35% from the floor will always be valuable in this league. He fits in better with Barnes and OG without taking up their spaces of operation like Siakam does.

He's 25 and wont be no where near demanding a max contract on his next deal. I see it as a no brainer, especially since we'll be getting another rotation piece in that package.

We solve our 2 biggest issues, a center for the foreseeable future and a legitimate rotation piece to have on our bench.

Return to Toronto Raptors