Valanciunas to the Knicks

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Valanciunas to the Knicks 

Post#1 » by NYG » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:31 am

Mitchell Robinson and Alec Burks for Jonas Valanciunas

-Knicks upgrade at center for the remainder of the season without losing any draft capital and create minutes for Quentin Grimes to start working into the rotation more.

-Pelicans get a solid young center who they should have the room to re-sign and a veteran guard that can provide a lot of what the Pelicans need.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,785

Re: Valanciunas to the Knicks 

Post#2 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:39 am

I don’t see a reason for the Pels to do this. Robinson is younger, sure, but he’s a worse fit with Zion, he’s not anywhere near as good, and he needs a new contract. I think this would need to be picks.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,157

Post#3 » by Knickfan1982 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:31 am

NYG wrote:Mitchell Robinson and Alec Burks for Jonas Valanciunas

-Knicks upgrade at center for the remainder of the season without losing any draft capital and create minutes for Quentin Grimes to start working into the rotation more.

-Pelicans get a solid young center who they should have the room to re-sign and a veteran guard that can provide a lot of what the Pelicans need.

How good a defender is Val. Because if he's not good this deal is DOA. We don't need weaker defense.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:08 am

I honestly don't think Robinson has that much value. Maybe the equivalent of a late first? And I can't see why New Orleans would be that interested when they spent a lottery pick on Jaxson Hayes. What about filler + Quickley + protected 1st?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#5 » by Resistance » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:55 am

babyjax13 wrote:I honestly don't think Robinson has that much value. Maybe the equivalent of a late first? And I can't see why New Orleans would be that interested when they spent a lottery pick on Jaxson Hayes. What about filler + Quickley + protected 1st?

Since there are health concerns with both Rose and Kemba, the Knicks need to think about keeping Quickly rather than send him out in this type of trade.

I understand the POV about the Knicks needing to include more value, but maybe they should avoid doing this trade because they will be making limited if any forward progress by losing Quickly so they can add JV.

I have a pairing of JV and Randle as far from optimal for the Knicks.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#6 » by Village Idiot » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:53 am

I think the reason the Pels brought in Valenciunas is that he sets awesome screens. Given Zion's aptitude for scoring and creating as a pick-and-roll ball handler I imagine this is an attribute N.O will value more highly than shot-blocking
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#7 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:27 pm

Mitchell is expiring and does not have RFA rights this summer. I’d imagine he doesnt have much trade value as a result of this. Val is locked up, expanding his game and having a great year— I’d guess NO doesnt consider this.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:42 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:

How good a defender is Val. Because if he's not good this deal is DOA. We don't need weaker defense.

Jonas is a solid one on one post defender but he struggles to defend in space. Having said that, he's ironically started on 2 teams that were top 5 in defense, Raptors & the young Memphis grizzlies.

Now if he's not a great individual defender why were his teams so good defensively ?..

As defense can lead to offense (transition) so does offensive efficiency/rebounding which Jonas is elite at, play into the teams overall defense. Rebounds close defensive possessions & offensive efficiency allows a team defense to get set. Hence, his teams dfrtg being considerable better than his individual rtg. Jonas averages among the league best in rebounds despite playing 5 minutes less per game. He averages 60% efg on 12-14 shots per game along with 80& FT shooting & currently leads the league in 3pt % this season at 50 something % on 40 something takes.

Another example of what I'm talking about. Remember when Orlando traded Oladipo for Ibaka to pair him with Bizz & thought they were going to be great defensively ?.. they were supposed to be 2 solid versatile defenders who can guard in space but that team was terrible defensively, why?. It wasn't because they couldn't & didn't have defenders, it's because that team couldn't put the ball in the basket.

Take a look at Memphis when you pair Jonas with someone like Dillon Brooks or Melton, players who do a good job of pressuring the ball. even the struggling NO's team when Willie has paired him with Herb Jones, Jonas becomes very effective on both ends with some good ball pressure..
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#9 » by Apz » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:45 pm

Think val cant be traded this year? Pretty sure i heard he signed the conttact so late or something
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Knickfan1982 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:39 am

Whole Truth wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:

Jonas is a solid one on one post defender but he struggles to defend in space. Having said that, he's ironically started on 2 teams that were top 5 in defense, Raptors & the young Memphis grizzlies.

Now if he's not a great individual defender why were his teams so good defensively ?..

As defense can lead to offense (transition) so does offensive efficiency/rebounding which Jonas is elite at, play into the teams overall defense. Rebounds close defensive possessions & offensive efficiency allows a team defense to get set. Hence, his teams dfrtg being considerable better than his individual rtg. Jonas averages among the league best in rebounds despite playing 5 minutes less per game. He averages 60% efg on 12-14 shots per game along with 80& FT shooting & currently leads the league in 3pt % this season at 50 something % on 40 something takes.

Another example of what I'm talking about. Remember when Orlando traded Oladipo for Ibaka to pair him with Bizz & thought they were going to be great defensively ?.. they were supposed to be 2 solid versatile defenders who can guard in space but that team was terrible defensively, why?. It wasn't because they couldn't & didn't have defenders, it's because that team couldn't put the ball in the basket.

Take a look at Memphis when you pair Jonas with someone like Dillon Brooks or Melton, players who do a good job of pressuring the ball. even the struggling NO's team when Willie has paired him with Herb Jones, Jonas becomes very effective on both ends with some good ball pressure..

And so its going to be a no for me then. The Knicks don't need help offensively in this way. We have talent on offense. We just don't have chemistry amongst our starters. Our bench is actually playing much better than our starters. Our starting guys seem a little out of sorts. Robinson is more useful to us with his ability to get around and alter shots.

Now if you can get an upgraded version of Robinson that can do similar things defensively while having more offensive ability then by all means....lets get er done. Someone like a Myles Turner or Deandre Ayton for instance. Joe V. Especially if we're giving up picks. Naaah.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#11 » by DroseReturnChi » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:42 am

pels hard no. val is their best guy.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#12 » by Whole Truth » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:31 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:And so its going to be a no for me then. The Knicks don't need help offensively in this way. We have talent on offense. We just don't have chemistry amongst our starters. Our bench is actually playing much better than our starters. Our starting guys seem a little out of sorts. Robinson is more useful to us with his ability to get around and alter shots.

Now if you can get an upgraded version of Robinson that can do similar things defensively while having more offensive ability then by all means....lets get er done. Someone like a Myles Turner or Deandre Ayton for instance. Joe V. Especially if we're giving up picks. Naaah.

I haven't seen enough of your team to determine/suggest any kind of ideal fit for those chemistry purposes, you've listed 2 very different types of targets in Turner & Ayton.

I can understand Knicks preferring a stretch 5 like Turner that can guard in space but IMHO I think a case can be made for Jonas vs Ayton. From their availability, trade value, to their overall individual benefits.

From last nights game where NO's held he Jazz offense to 97 pts. Here's a clip of what I was talking about with Jonas setting up the winning transition basket with another key rebound sealing the defensive stop into Grahams transition 3. .

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#13 » by Skybox » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:44 pm

Val was brought in to be a MUCH better complement to Zion's game. Isn't he leading the league in 3pt %...Robinson is a nice player, but brings NONE of the things that make Val the better supporting piece for Zion
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Knickfan1982 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:00 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:And so its going to be a no for me then. The Knicks don't need help offensively in this way. We have talent on offense. We just don't have chemistry amongst our starters. Our bench is actually playing much better than our starters. Our starting guys seem a little out of sorts. Robinson is more useful to us with his ability to get around and alter shots.

I haven't seen enough of your team to determine/suggest any kind of ideal fit for those chemistry purposes, you've listed 2 very different types of targets in Turner & Ayton.

I can understand Knicks preferring a stretch 5 like Turner that can guard in space but IMHO I think a case can be made for Jonas vs Ayton. From their availability, trade value, to their overall individual benefits.

From last nights game where NO's held he Jazz offense to 97 pts. Here's a clip of what I was talking about with Jonas setting up the winning transition basket with another key rebound sealing the defensive stop into Grahams transition 3. .

Myles Turner was always my top target if we were going to replace Robinson. But other people in another thread were hyping up Ayton.

Return to Trades and Transactions